Request: 'delete' all previous bans

• 9 Replies

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
Request: 'delete' all previous bans
« on: November 08, 2020, 03:02:30 AM »
Hello my beloved mods & admins

As we all know, if somebody gets banned for the same reason multiple times, the lenght of the ban increases exponentially. The idea behind that is understandable. The issue that I have recently witnessed is that now ban times are getting ridiculously high (check recent bans). Considering traffic for the forum is on a all time low, makes it even worse. Also it can lead to users permanently leaving the forum, because after a ban lasting quite long you have no idea whats going on in the forum and need lots of time to read up on threads, which is too much fo4 some people.

Thus I suggest that right now and after a fixed timeframe (e.g. all 6 months or so), previous bams shall be 'forgotten' and thus reset the ban times to the minimum again.
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

JJA

• Math is math!
Re: Request: 'delete' all previous bans
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 03:44:24 AM »
Thus I suggest that right now and after a fixed timeframe (e.g. all 6 months or so), previous bams shall be 'forgotten' and thus reset the ban times to the minimum again.

I would agree if someone goes 6 months without a ban, that should be taken into account if they get another.

But don't the admins already do that? They certainly don't do exponential bans or there would be people with thousand year bans at this point. 

Bans are 'calculated' based on behavior, not simple numbers.  What works for one person won't for another.

If I get a ban for deliberately posting a malware link, and they decide to let me back and I do it AGAIN after six months I would not expect  the first one to be forgotten and be treated like a brand new offender. Nor would they.

Stash

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 03:44:54 AM »
Hello my beloved mods & admins

As we all know, if somebody gets banned for the same reason multiple times, the lenght of the ban increases exponentially. The idea behind that is understandable. The issue that I have recently witnessed is that now ban times are getting ridiculously high (check recent bans). Considering traffic for the forum is on a all time low, makes it even worse. Also it can lead to users permanently leaving the forum, because after a ban lasting quite long you have no idea whats going on in the forum and need lots of time to read up on threads, which is too much fo4 some people.

The more lengthy bans currently apply to D1, Heiwa, and Timmy. Are you referring to those three? If someone gets a 30 day ban for, let's say repeated racist remarks, you're saying that ban/warning history should be erased? What's the incentive to prevent that less than desirable behaviour going forward? I mean if the behaviour didn't exist in the first place they wouldn't have a ban/warning history to delete. I'm trying to find the logic in here.

If you're banned you can't read AR and CN. Everything else is available for reading. Is there that much important stuff in AR/CN that with an extended ban one would have a hard time getting caught up and decide to never come back? That doesn't seem like a compelling reason - Maybe if someone keeps violating the rules and keeps wracking up warnings/bans, this isn't the right forum for them.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
  • FREEDOIS IS ᗡIИIRG!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 04:56:04 AM »
D1, Heiwa, and Timeisup all would be serving exactly he same ban even in this Utopian vision you have, DNS. If someone demonstrates good behavior when returning from their first ban, they a) don't end up banned again and b) are certainly shown the same leniency others are shown if they accidentally find themselves in a gray area.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 08:02:39 AM by boydster »

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 06:42:52 AM »
I already do this for most regulars who get banned. I'm not interested in banning someone for months because they've posted off topic, or something silly. The same reasoning doesn't apply when someone repeatedly posts racist crap.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 06:48:24 AM »
Bans are 'calculated' based on behavior, not simple numbers.  What works for one person won't for another.
LOL, in reality bans are 'calculated' on what numbers a mod pulls of of his ass.

If I get a ban for deliberately posting a malware link, and they decide to let me back and I do it AGAIN after six months I would not expect  the first one to be forgotten and be treated like a brand new offender. Nor would they.
If you post malware deliberately, then you'd not be here for the discussion but only for trying to lure users. Thus, you should be permabanned anyways.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 06:56:08 AM »
The more lengthy bans currently apply to D1, Heiwa, and Timmy. Are you referring to those three? If someone gets a 30 day ban for, let's say repeated racist remarks, you're saying that ban/warning history should be erased? What's the incentive to prevent that less than desirable behaviour going forward? I mean if the behaviour didn't exist in the first place they wouldn't have a ban/warning history to delete. I'm trying to find the logic in here.
Just ban them normally? If you someone made a really bad racist remark and you don't believe that freedom of speech should apply there, then just ban the person longer in the first place. A racist remark is just as bad the first time as the third time.
It's just ridiculous to have people banned for 30d for slight insults that would be no issue in CN or AR.

If you're banned you can't read AR and CN. Everything else is available for reading. Is there that much important stuff in AR/CN that with an extended ban one would have a hard time getting caught up and decide to never come back? That doesn't seem like a compelling reason - Maybe if someone keeps violating the rules and keeps wracking up warnings/bans, this isn't the right forum for them.
You obv. have never banned yourself, because you can't read anything unless you use a different browser or go inkognito mode. But then 1) you don't see which topics have new posts 2) just reading is boring 3) the most interesting topics are often in AR.

Stash

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 01:13:41 PM »
Just ban them normally? If you someone made a really bad racist remark and you don't believe that freedom of speech should apply there, then just ban the person longer in the first place. A racist remark is just as bad the first time as the third time.

If you are in a restaurant and start ranting with racist epithets, are you protected by 'freedom of speech'? No. As the restaurant owner, you can kick them out, but in this case, you warn them. If they come back a week later and do it again, you can kick them out and tell them they are not welcome back for 30 days. They had already been warned. They come back 31 days later and soon thereafter start in again. You're saying you should just give them a warning because they were already served a fairly harsh 30 day ban? I don't quite get the logic behind repeat offenses should at some point no longer be cumulative.

It's just ridiculous to have people banned for 30d for slight insults that would be no issue in CN or AR.

Your definition of 'slight' may be different than the owners of the establishment. And if you want to insult, you do so in AR/CN. If you do it elsewhere that could be a problem. It's pretty clear in the rules. Some personal accountability has to be employed here.

You obv. have never banned yourself, because you can't read anything unless you use a different browser or go inkognito mode. But then 1) you don't see which topics have new posts 2) just reading is boring 3) the most interesting topics are often in AR.

I have not been banned. I've got three browsers on my computer and inconito is a drop-down poke away. Hardly seems daunting.

- So you can't see which topics have new posts. You kind of can by looking at the bolded "Today" or by date. I actually didn't start using the new post feature until recently. I survived.
- If you don't like to read, that sounds like more of a personal thing.
- Maybe the most interesting topics to you are in AR, but why do feel you get to speak for everyone's interests?

Overarchingly, if you're banned you probably should suffer under some of the above inconveniences you pointed out. That's the whole point of a ban. It's a penalty for breaking the rules.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 01:22:35 PM »
Ad hominems & strawman attacks automatically deleted
Sure, bro :)

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
  • FREEDOIS IS ᗡIИIRG!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 02:22:05 PM »
Your concerns have been heard. Thanks for your input.