Re: Flat Earthism in Columbusís Time

• 6 Replies

faded mike

• new world tattoo drill scar
« on: November 03, 2020, 12:14:32 AM »
A few yrs back i went to the bookstore searching for any book involving columbus and the discovery of the new world and they had nothing and only 2 titles to order, seemed a little under represented.
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

I am not a druggy

Stash

Re: Re: Flat Earthism in Columbusís Time
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 12:52:50 AM »
A few yrs back i went to the bookstore searching for any book involving columbus and the discovery of the new world and they had nothing and only 2 titles to order, seemed a little under represented.

From Amazon:

1-16 of over 1,000 results for "christopher columbus"

Seems like there's a lot more than just 2.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 06:26:00 AM »

Any bookstore what only has two books on the subject of Columbus and the early European colonization of America is a pretty sad bookstore.

What bookstore was this? 

faded mike

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 09:51:05 PM »

From Amazon:

Yeah, it's just kindof saddening.
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

I am not a druggy

faded mike

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 09:52:21 PM »

Any bookstore what only has two books on the subject of Columbus and the early European colonization of America is a pretty sad bookstore.

What bookstore was this?
I think it was a local Edmonton book store, not a chain.
           -them

I am not a druggy

Stash

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 07:46:58 AM »

From Amazon:

Yeah, it's just kindof saddening.

What's saddening? That there are a 1000+ books on the topic you are looking for? Or that your book store is lame?

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 09:48:02 AM »
This is what the mainstream Wikipedia says about Columbus in relation to flat Earth belief:

Washington Irving's 1828 biography of Columbus popularized the idea that Columbus had difficulty obtaining support for his plan because many Catholic theologians insisted that the Earth was flat,[188] but this is a popular misconception which can be traced back to 17th-century Protestants campaigning against Catholicism.[189] In fact, the spherical shape of the Earth had been known to scholars since antiquity, and was common knowledge among sailors, including Columbus.[190] Coincidentally, the oldest surviving globe of the Earth, the Erdapfel, was made in 1492, just before Columbus's return to Europe. As such it contains no sign of the Americas and yet demonstrates the common belief in a spherical Earth.[191]

On his third voyage, Columbus formulated a new model of the Earth shortly after observing that the North Star is not fixed. Making observations with a quadrant, he "regularly saw the plumb line fall to the same point," instead of moving along as his ship moved. He divined that he had discovered the entrance to Heaven, from which Earth's waters extend, the planet forming a pear-shape with the insurmountable "stalk" portion of the pear pointing towards Heaven.[190] In fact, the Earth ever so slightly is pear-shaped, with the "stalk" pointing North.[192]