Is Google supressing us?

• 19 Replies
Is Google supressing us?
« on: October 17, 2020, 02:09:33 AM »
Hello. I found something intresting. When searching "Flat Earth Society" on DuckDuckGo we come as 3 result. Above us is other FE society and wiki page.

On Google we come at 37 place for now. I belive we were higher up before, as i didn't have to search it for so long?

Other FE society came at 2 place, above wiki. Why does Google promote them and supress us?

Above is were many pages of news articles. I am pretty sure more people came to us than this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/the-flat-earth-movement-a-society-of-disbelievers-in-scientific-fact/

Is it beacuse FE's here post real scientific stuff (I am thinking about sandokhan) which is threat to establishment?

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 02:14:12 AM by Code-Beta1234 »

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Re: Is Google supressing us?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 02:23:59 AM »
Because Obama.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 02:28:53 AM »
Hello. I found something intresting. When searching "Flat Earth Society" on DuckDuckGo we come as 3 result. Above us is other FE society and wiki page.

On Google we come at 37 place for now. I belive we were higher up before, as i didn't have to search it for so long?

Same for me in DuckDuckGo.

In google it comes up #15 for me.

'Search' is a complicated bit of business. I've never used DuckDuckGo before, so they haven't cookied me, know my search habits, etc. Whereas Google knows ALL of that stuff. So for me, it served up this site probably based upon all of the 'habits' they have logged for me. For some reason, for you, their engine served it up further down. Location is also a factor as well. No conspiracy, it's literally just how they ultimately make money - Off of your habits, traits, etc.

Other FE society came at 2 place, above wiki. Why does Google promote them and supress us?

Probably because their wiki is updated more frequently and their twitter presence is more timely/relevant and probably 100 other secret sauce things built into their algorithms. There's a whole MASSIVE multi-billion dollar industry around making sites show up more prominently in search engines - Look up SEO and go down that rabbit hole for a while, then you'll understand.

Is it beacuse FE's here post real scientific stuff (I am thinking about sandokhan) which is threat to establishment?

No. See above and again, study up on SEO. It's a whole science with a lot of voodoo unto itself.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 06:20:38 AM »
Stash, you seem to be right. Thank you

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 11:24:26 AM »
Is Google supressing us?

Perhaps but not as much as whoever it was who forgot to pay the bills and took the website down for two days!

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 11:31:16 AM »

Macarios

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 06:51:45 PM »

Above is were many pages of news articles. I am pretty sure more people came to us than this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/the-flat-earth-movement-a-society-of-disbelievers-in-scientific-fact/

Google suppresses every site that won't bring them revenue.
Their results favorize the sites where you can buy something, especially when they get percentage from that purchase.
I worked as SEO (Search Engine Optimizer) from 2001 to 2006 and watched their gradual search algorithm changes towards it.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »
It has been that way since at least our blog home page portion went down. It could be because that is where their ads lived as to not bother the forum goers, or it could be something else related to that. I'll take a look into it when I work on the new home page.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 02:00:49 AM »
It"s so nice coming here and not having several ads dancing across the screen and crashing my computer.
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 02:10:29 AM »
OMG, bitch about the Google.

Start your own search engine.
Spend a few billion dollars so you can serve the planet.
Structure your venture to not make any money.

Good luck spending thank you's.   ::)

I bet people bitched and moaned about billboards 80 years ago.

Nobody works for free.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 05:14:06 AM »
Nah that doesn't add up for me. What are you paying your service provider for then? And ultimately what is the cost - i can't see too far past the electricity of running the servers...IF things were done correctly to last. Where am I wrong here?

Sure they're gonna make money but why do they have to make the most money ever. Foccusing on making more money on adds this year - increasing profits by tens of billion dollars a year and now i can't chill i gotta make extra money for buying newr cmptrs constantly... where am i wrong here..?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 05:24:39 AM by faded mike »
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 05:18:30 AM »
Obviously i'm not an expert, but  planned obsolescence is.
           -them

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 05:19:23 AM »
Obviously i'm not an expert, but  planned obsolescence is.
In an expert??
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 05:51:39 AM »
The experts are employing "po", i've heard it said, but hopefully not really. I was just considering that my cmptr is out of date and hence i can't use the internet as much as well.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:40:41 AM by faded mike »
           -them

Macarios

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 12:48:18 PM »
OMG, bitch about the Google.

Start your own search engine.
Spend a few billion dollars so you can serve the planet.
Structure your venture to not make any money.

Good luck spending thank you's.   ::)

I bet people bitched and moaned about billboards 80 years ago.

Nobody works for free.

Well, AltaVista did just that.
They had the best searching algorithm, easy for search querry customization, best relevance.
Then Yahoo bought it, and instead of using it to improve own search engine, they just killed it.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 12:51:32 PM »
Google is now in an antitrust suit over monopolizing internet search and ads. So I think this is just the time for Ask Jeeves to make a comeback!

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 05:54:22 AM »

. . . this is just the time for Ask Jeeves to make a comeback!

Can I download that from MySpace and use it on America Online?

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 06:01:07 AM »
AOL is actually still going strong, believe it or not.   Verizon bought it for over $4B a few years ago.

Not quite the masters of the universe they once thought they were....but still.

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 06:09:37 AM »
AOL is actually still going strong, believe it or not.   Verizon bought it for over $4B a few years ago.

Not quite the masters of the universe they once thought they were....but still.

Grandmas will eventually die off. Sell your stock now.

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 06:58:14 AM »
It's is totally owned by Verizon, there is no stock.

Not sure how many grannies are left - according to the wiki is does all sorts of other stuff for the parent company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL#Products_and_services

On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure in what sense it is still AOL.    :P