What would change your mind?

• 5620 Replies
Re: What would change your mind?
« Reply #5520 on: June 02, 2021, 08:48:37 AM »
Gotten what wrong?

According to you and others on this forum, nearly everything.  The shape of the world dictates a number of directives regarding navigation, communication, and civil engineering (to name a few).  Assuming that the world is not round, we would have problems popping up constantly if that were the case.
Just one continuous heaping pile of cow dung from this guy.

Navigation has nothing to do with the shape of the world.

Communication has nothing to do with the shape of the world.

Civil engineering has nothing to do with the shape of the world.

Look at you trying so hard to pick a fight while not doing anything to prove the garbage you're saying is true.  Your entire post history is the same crap; drive by put downs with no substance, effort, support, or meaning. 

Good luck with that.
No support you say?

Navigation has always been performed the exact same way.

Use of the stars.

None of the long distance routes have fundamentally changed since they were first used.

Communication still takes place by the use of land based technology.

Doesn't require a globe.

Civil engineering doesn't require a globe.

Just go lay your weary BS on the bed and use it for a pillow.

« Reply #5521 on: June 02, 2021, 09:19:20 AM »
aah
so GPS relies on stars, not actual pings from orbiting satelites used to triangulate position on a premapped surface that also relies on a ball shape for proper distances at the poles.
got it.

Gumwars

• A poke in your eye good sir...
« Reply #5522 on: June 02, 2021, 09:58:50 AM »
No support you say?

That is correct.  What you've done below isn't support either.  It's called baseless assertion.  Let's explore:

Use of the stars.

This not entirely correct.  Navigation can be performed a number of ways.  Sailors of old would use the stars along with compasses, dead reckoning, and visually using known topography.  (source: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/secrets-of-ancient-navigators/) <- This is called support, by the way, not pulling crap out of one's butt.

None of the long distance routes have fundamentally changed since they were first used.

Utterly false.  Ancient sea navigation was based primarily on remaining close enough to land that you could see it.  Naval shipping lanes exist closer to shore but in the open ocean are largely dictated by where the ship is going. (source: https://www.vox.com/2016/4/25/11503152/shipping-routes-map and https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/apr/13/shipping-routes-history-map)

Land based navigation is dictated by topography and once a road is established, there's not much navigation to do.

And another baseless assertion.  You aren't too good at this argument thing, are you?  All you're doing is saying the same thing over, and over again but not backing anything up with a logic based argument or using evidence to support your claims.  Some communication is land based and some is satellite based.  Land based communication still deals with LOS (line of sight) which can be impacted by...you guessed it, the curvature of the earth.  Transmitters are usually placed on hill tops, mountain peaks, and towers to reduce blinds spots caused by terrain and planetary curvature.  (source: https://www.tablotv.com/blog/where-you-live-impacts-OTA-antenna-reception/)

Doesn't require a globe.

Seeing how you don't know how to even support your arguments, I'm not going to take that on just you saying so.

And another baseless assertion.  Every road, bridge, freeway, and other large structure that is built requires the engineers to compensate for planetary curvature.  (source: https://www.aboutcivil.org/new/curvature-and-refraction.html)

I don't know what to say about the quality of your writing or the degree to which you utterly fail at proving a point.  On a brighter note, you can only improve from here because you can't suck worse than you do right now.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
We should endeavor to always keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

« Reply #5523 on: June 02, 2021, 10:14:04 AM »
No support you say?

That is correct.  What you've done below isn't support either.  It's called baseless assertion.  Let's explore:

Use of the stars.

This not entirely correct.  Navigation can be performed a number of ways.  Sailors of old would use the stars along with compasses, dead reckoning, and visually using known topography.  (source: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/secrets-of-ancient-navigators/) <- This is called support, by the way, not pulling crap out of one's butt.
Use of stars.

Utterly false.  Ancient sea navigation was based primarily on remaining close enough to land that you could see it.  Naval shipping lanes exist closer to shore but in the open ocean are largely dictated by where the ship is going. (source: https://www.vox.com/2016/4/25/11503152/shipping-routes-map and https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/apr/13/shipping-routes-history-map)

Land based navigation is dictated by topography and once a road is established, there's not much navigation to do.
Yeah, the Polynesians hugged a bunch of coastline on the way to South America across the South Pacific.

And land based travelers never oriented themselves to the stars whatsoever.

Jesus.

And another baseless assertion.  You aren't too good at this argument thing, are you?  All you're doing is saying the same thing over, and over again but not backing anything up with a logic based argument or using evidence to support your claims.  Some communication is land based and some is satellite based.  Land based communication still deals with LOS (line of sight) which can be impacted by...you guessed it, the curvature of the earth.  Transmitters are usually placed on hill tops, mountain peaks, and towers to reduce blinds spots caused by terrain and planetary curvature.  (source: https://www.tablotv.com/blog/where-you-live-impacts-OTA-antenna-reception/)
It is doubtful any of it takes place via satellites.

Land based communication is much more reliable and is still the primary method.

Doesn't require a globe.

Seeing how you don't know how to even support your arguments, I'm not going to take that on just you saying so.

And another baseless assertion.  Every road, bridge, freeway, and other large structure that is built requires the engineers to compensate for planetary curvature.  (source: https://www.aboutcivil.org/new/curvature-and-refraction.html)
LOL!

None of it requires spherical trigonometry!

That is just plain horse manure!

You can assign numbers to anything and make it appear as if it actually counts for something after the fact.

Casting out 9's is one such example.

I don't know what to say about the quality of your writing or the degree to which you utterly fail at proving a point.  On a brighter note, you can only improve from here because you can't suck worse than you do right now.
I know you struggle to let go of you globe earth binky, but trust me, it can be done.

Gumwars

« Reply #5524 on: June 02, 2021, 10:18:05 AM »
REPEATS SAME BASELESS, UNSUPPORTED CRAP

You do you pal.
We should endeavor to always keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

« Reply #5525 on: June 02, 2021, 10:49:38 AM »
so technology hasn't advanced in 200yrs and we're using stars still to sail across the oceans?

and why would stars magically flip rotation after you pass the equator?

and greenland is the size of australia?

come on now...

« Reply #5526 on: June 02, 2021, 11:48:29 AM »

Use of the stars.

Maybe you should look into how that actually works sometime, and has worked for hundreds of years?

The continents haven’t moved by much, and flat Earthers still don’t have anything close to a vaguely functional world map.

Doesn't require a globe

Except the sort that uses other technology.

But it is built on a globe, because the earth is a globe.

JackBlack

« Reply #5527 on: June 02, 2021, 03:02:16 PM »

So you think navigating around the world has nothing to do with the shape of the world?
Do you know how insane that claim is?
A key part of navigation is maps.
Maps are intrinsically linked to the shape of the world.

Even things like communication do depend on the shape of the world, as the shape of the world places limits of how far you can communicate, and has very significant implications for satellite communication.

Really?
The ancient people of Earth had GPS and maps built into their phones?
That is the first I have heard of that.

How often do you use the stars to navigate, vs GPS?

Also, even navigation based upon the stars, over all of Earth, requires Earth to be round.
Using the celestial poles (there are 2 of them) to determine your latitude, requires Earth is round, or else the math would be vastly different.
The celestial pole is at an angle of elevation equal to your latitude, BECAUSE Earth is round.

It is doubtful any of it takes place via satellites.

Land based communication is much more reliable and is still the primary method.
And you not liking reality won't change it.

If it all takes place via land based methods, why do satellite dishes for TV point to satellites in geostationary orbit rather than a land based tower? If it is all land based, why don't they just have normal aerials like normal land based TV transmission?

Why do sat phones and GPS manage to get a signal where land based phones don't?
Why does it sometimes work the other way around as well, where you can be inside a building and a normal phone works fine while satellite based communication doesn't because of all the building above you?

None of it requires spherical trigonometry!
It does if you want to have the road go to its destination.
This is intrinsically tied to mapping as well.
If you try to map Earth as flat, it simply doesn't work.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 03:04:16 PM by JackBlack »

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #5528 on: June 03, 2021, 12:32:57 AM »
Gotten what wrong?

According to you and others on this forum, nearly everything.  The shape of the world dictates a number of directives regarding navigation, communication, and civil engineering (to name a few).  Assuming that the world is not round, we would have problems popping up constantly if that were the case.

Look at you trying so hard to pick a fight while not doing anything to prove the garbage you're saying is true.  Your entire post history is the same crap; drive by put downs with no substance, effort, support, or meaning. 

Good luck with that.
No support you say?

Use of the stars.

Doesn't require a globe.

what do flat earth believers know about the stars? Your knowledge can be equated to those who lived before the invention of simple optical devices. You make comments about subjects you are in total ignorance of. You make comments that deny the incredible technological and scientific leaps that have been made over the last century.

Astronomy has revealed not only the nature of our own solar system and the Milky way of which it is part of but has allowed us to map parts of the universe beyond. Lets be honest flat earth believers unable to see beyond the end of their noses are stuck with no more than a medieval understanding of the cosmos.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

« Reply #5529 on: June 03, 2021, 01:59:19 AM »
Gotten what wrong?

Good luck with that.
No support you say?

Use of the stars.

Doesn't require a globe.

Should there be a question mark at the end of your name, wishtolaugh? I wish to laugh all the time, and reading your posts, I most definitely have laughed!  :D

Civil engineers factor in earth curvature when building tunnels and bridges, all the time. Are you struggling to find proof of this? Would you like some proof?

Communication still happens over the middle of the pacific ocean, and all other oceans, well out of range of any land based communication towers. The explanation for this is satellites.

Did you have a good time at this year's flat earth convention?

« Reply #5530 on: June 03, 2021, 03:30:11 AM »
so technology hasn't advanced in 200yrs and we're using stars still to sail across the oceans?

come on now...
Why are you writing such nonsense?

JackBlack

« Reply #5531 on: June 03, 2021, 03:37:29 AM »

come on now...
Well part of that is the nonsense conclusion from your nonsense.

For example, claiming navigation hasn't changed is the same as claiming that technology related to it hasn't advanced in quite some time.

So the real question is why are you writing such nonsense?

Gumwars

« Reply #5532 on: June 03, 2021, 09:39:53 AM »

come on now...

They are responding to your inane babble my friend. 

« Reply #5533 on: June 03, 2021, 10:26:40 AM »
my nonsense is never nonsense.
if you don't get it its because you're not smart.
go ask snomo.

Mikey T.

« Reply #5534 on: June 03, 2021, 10:58:41 AM »
Land based communication is more reliable than satellite communication for world wide communications?  Interesting concept, wrong in many ways.  Land based communication is faster in local areas, very slight possibility of it being more reliable for local communication, unless it's directly wired together.  But for me to talk to a friend in Iraq from the States, satellite is the way to go.

Alexei

• レクシー
  • Flat Earth Believer
  • Over it.
« Reply #5535 on: June 03, 2021, 11:05:47 AM »
What would change my mind on Flat earth is nothing.
I believe the earth is flat because instead of reading books i look out my window and see its flat.
Books are not always true like round earth books.

JackBlack

« Reply #5536 on: June 03, 2021, 02:43:57 PM »
I believe the earth is flat because instead of reading books i look out my window and see its flat.
At least you can admit that you are close-minded and unwilling to see reason.

When I look out my window I see a big hill. Should that make me conclude Earth is a giant hill with me near the centre?
Or should I realise that the topography at the small scale will be more significant than the overall shape of Earth and something other than looking out the window will be needed?

« Reply #5537 on: June 03, 2021, 06:20:08 PM »

All you know is the earth directly outside your window, looks flat. What might change your mind about the shape of the entire world, is getting out more, and doing some travel.

Timeisup

« Reply #5538 on: June 03, 2021, 08:44:35 PM »

Ah the good old flat earth fallback.....blissful ignorance combined with a childish denial of any knowledge that may conflict with their central belief.

“It looks flat therefore it is”

At the same time he is honest not pretending he’s engaged in some exhaustive ‘research’, flat earth speak for looking stuff up, along with not cherry picking some scientific ditty that is then distorted and misrepresented.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #5539 on: June 04, 2021, 02:36:58 AM »
We are told gravity is as weak as piss yet the air and any loose object on the earth stay firmly in place despite being surrounded by a vacuum and moving at 30km/s

Either gravity is a lot stronger or has some magical properties or somebodies not telling the truth about our universe and our place in it

I have often argued gravity is the strongest fundamental force. No one believes it

Oh well. We'll reach the singularity era in the late 2040s and soon after that, it will be known. Then all you morons can be like 'damn that Shifter bloke really was right afterall. I'm such an idiot!'

And because I'm very much a 'don't say I didn't tell you so' kind of guy, I'll be laughing. 8)

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

JackBlack

« Reply #5540 on: June 04, 2021, 04:31:21 AM »
We are told gravity is as weak as piss yet the air and any loose object on the earth stay firmly in place despite being surrounded by a vacuum and moving at 30km/s

Either gravity is a lot stronger or has some magical properties or somebodies not telling the truth about our universe and our place in it

I have often argued gravity is the strongest fundamental force. No one believes it
Possibly because they realise each force is dependent on some property. For gravity, that property is mass.
You can have a strong force with lots of mass, or a weak force with not much.

As for the rest, you sure seem to do your best to completely misunderstand or misrepresent simple physics.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #5541 on: June 04, 2021, 04:44:48 AM »

Possibly because they realise each force is dependent on some property. For gravity, that property is mass.

As for the rest, you sure seem to do your best to completely misunderstand or misrepresent simple physics.

Or maybe what you're taught is incomplete or wrong

Can you guarantee what you know now will not be changed or altered? That everything you write here will appear as correct in 200 years of further study?

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

« Reply #5542 on: June 04, 2021, 05:47:28 AM »
What a stupid question.
Notice how she changed it half way through when she remebered her script.

Can you guarantee to 100% the election was not stolen?

1:35

As per bailed "discussion" with snomo, science is not biased to change when presented with creditble cause for change.

saurumons black hole photo is already challenging einstein.
Mercurys transit photo validated einsteins takeover on newton.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 05:58:17 AM by Themightykabool »

« Reply #5543 on: June 04, 2021, 10:15:38 AM »

Can you guarantee what you know now will not be changed or altered? That everything you write here will appear as correct in 200 years of further study?

Vastly more likely that you are wrong though isn’t it?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #5544 on: June 04, 2021, 10:16:55 AM »

No, because I checked

Know your place

« Reply #5545 on: June 04, 2021, 10:20:53 AM »

No, because I checked

You checked wrong.  Try again.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #5546 on: June 04, 2021, 11:30:13 AM »

No, because I checked

You seem...... Unconvinced 8)

Know your place

JackBlack

« Reply #5547 on: June 04, 2021, 01:48:28 PM »
It isn't merely what I have been taught, but also what I have obtained evidence for.

For example, plenty of evidence of how motion works and how it is all relative.
As such, your appeal to a 30 km/s velocity as if that should magically make the air fall off is nonsense.

I know that what I know will be altered, but that doesn't mean that everything I know will be.

Timeisup

« Reply #5548 on: June 06, 2021, 12:01:05 PM »

No, because I checked

You seem...... Unconvinced 8)

Can you guarantee that your own conspiracy driven beliefs will not be shown to be ridiculous when in the next few years either the Chinese, Americans or Russians or whoever will land on the moon and broadcast not only that but the whole voyage that will include showing the earth like all the other planets are spherical. Remember the onus is on you as the belief you have is blind having no supporting evidence whatsoever.  Many things that flat earthers claim like water droplets being flat is driven by ignorance and can simply be shown to be false. Time is running out both for you and your equally blind comrades.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

« Reply #5549 on: June 27, 2021, 06:45:23 AM »
Im back

Has he drawn the circle yet?

This guy drew the circle.
Skip to 2:30