• 5620 Replies

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: What would change your mind?
« Reply #5130 on: May 16, 2021, 11:40:20 PM »
No
Just pointing out youre being a pos.

Is mercator map a valid map?
You said maps are real if they get pilots from A to B.
So is mercator a valid map?
I have no issue with maps being real.
Notice how you continually ignored the question yet again.
They were not asking if it was real.
They were asking if it is valid.
So by you accepting that it is real are you accepting that it is valid, i.e. that it accurately maps the world?

It really is a simple question, which you have to avoid to keep your fantasy alive.

Maps are real. Some maps represent a decent set up of the terrain we use. Some will not.
The one's that will not are the one's that tell us we are navigating a globe.

So this convulted response says mercator is invalid because it is a side projection of the ball along the equator.
Which is impossible and uneccessary for a flat plane.

Is that right?
Simple yes no.
Let me make myself crystal clear to save you going through this, time and time and time and time and time, again.

Any map that can aid in navigation is a valid map for navigation.
Any map that represents a global Earth as we're told, is not a true representation of a real Earth, in my honest opinion, for reasons I've already given.

If you want to argue for a map that you know is a global map and is a true representation of your globe world, then show me how you know this. Do not appeal to authority.

If you haven't used a global map to navigate then at least admit that.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5131 on: May 16, 2021, 11:42:55 PM »

It would depend on how big the object was.

Great!

As per you, the object is a circle woth diameter 12,750,000units and the point of view is 2units off the surface.

Draw the triangle of "level" to the "horizon"/tangent (you know what a tangent is?) from the persoective of the 2unit high line.

So simple.
72pg of asking for this circle.
How about you draw what you think it should be.

Asking me to draw a scale version of what you believe your Earth is and to then show you a tilt and also a drop should come right down to you, so let's see what you make of it seeing as you're telling me what you believe would  be seen.

« Reply #5132 on: May 16, 2021, 11:44:33 PM »
A simple yes or no qould have been simple.

Your response
Was not simple

You took lessons in question avoidnace from betsy devos?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5133 on: May 16, 2021, 11:45:31 PM »
A simple yes or no qould have been simple.

Your response
Was not simple

You took lessons in question avoidnace from betsy devos?
Can you draw this circle you are asking me to draw?

« Reply #5134 on: May 16, 2021, 11:47:10 PM »

Great!

As per you, the object is a circle woth diameter 12,750,000units and the point of view is 2units off the surface.

Draw the triangle of "level" to the "horizon"/tangent (you know what a tangent is?) from the persoective of the 2unit high line.

So simple.

Asking me to draw a scale version of what you believe your Earth is and to then show you a tilt and also a drop should come right down to you, so let's see what you make of it seeing as you're telling me what you believe would  be seen.

I did provide a to scale circle which answered a different question - tilt.

You said because the circle contained an image of a ball earth that the circular nature of the circle was therefore invalid - whoch is irrelevant.
The circle is or isnt a circle to scale.

I and others have repeatedly asked you back and repeatedly to provide your own then to prove massive tilt and to prove some tu-tube experiment.

We re stll waiting.
Yuo re still dodging.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 11:57:44 PM by Themightykabool »

« Reply #5135 on: May 16, 2021, 11:54:15 PM »

Let me make myself crystal clear

Any map that represents a global Earth as we're told, is not a true
representation of a real Earth, in my honest opinion, for reasons I've already given

Crystal clear -

A map is valid if it gets you from A to B.
As in the distances from South america to australia.

A map that shows a globe is fake because the mercator is a SIDE CYLINDRICAL PRJODCTION of a ball earth.
Balls being 3dimensional and being able to view from... the side.
A flat plane would not reuqire a sideview because.... gee who knows
mercator "accurately" shows distances in southern hemisphere that a Polar projection for the obvious reason being the opposite hemispeher is so warped and unfolded outwards it makes no sense.

So to be crustal clear - yes-no - is the answer.
Got it.
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 11:56:01 PM by Themightykabool »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5136 on: May 16, 2021, 11:57:19 PM »

Great!

So simple.

You said because the circle contained an image of a ball earth that the circular nature of the circle was therefore invalid.

I and others habe asked you back and repeatedly to orovide your own then to prove massive tilt and to prove some tu-tube experiment.

We re stll waiting.
Yuo re still dodging.
Can you draw a circle to the scale you are asking me to draw?

« Reply #5137 on: May 17, 2021, 01:06:51 AM »
No
Just pointing out youre being a pos.

Is mercator map a valid map?
You said maps are real if they get pilots from A to B.
So is mercator a valid map?
I have no issue with maps being real.
Notice how you continually ignored the question yet again.
They were not asking if it was real.
They were asking if it is valid.
So by you accepting that it is real are you accepting that it is valid, i.e. that it accurately maps the world?

It really is a simple question, which you have to avoid to keep your fantasy alive.

Maps are real. Some maps represent a decent set up of the terrain we use. Some will not.
The one's that will not are the one's that tell us we are navigating a globe.

So this convulted response says mercator is invalid because it is a side projection of the ball along the equator.
Which is impossible and uneccessary for a flat plane.

Is that right?
Simple yes no.
Let me make myself crystal clear to save you going through this, time and time and time and time and time, again.

Any map that represents a global Earth as we're told, is not a true representation of a real Earth, in my honest opinion, for reasons I've already given.

If you want to argue for a map that you know is a global map and is a true representation of your globe world, then show me how you know this. Do not appeal to authority.

If you haven't used a global map to navigate then at least admit that.

If the earth is a globe, then any map you use is a global map.

Which flat map on paper or map app do you use to navigate around? Do you use google maps? Have a navman in your car? Those apps incorporate earth curvature into the maps, don't they?

JackBlack

« Reply #5138 on: May 17, 2021, 01:14:17 AM »
You're looking at pictures of a zoom in from months before, so how do you navigate?
If you want a course in navigation, go find it elsewhere.

Quote from: JackBlack
And GPS based maps which have position and distances based upon the globe.
Ground positioning systems.
No, GLOBAL positioning system.
You not liking that wont magically change it.
It is just you ignoring reality to try to prop up a fantasy.

The ones which don't work are those based upon a FE.
In your mind, yes.
And in reality.
Like those which massively overestimate the width of Australia.

Again, If you have a tube, 1 inch in a diameter and 10 inches long, with this tube level and you looking through the tube with your eye at the midpoint of the tube's height and directly against the end of the tube, how far below the tube can an object at 1 mile distance be, in order to still be visible through the tube?
Why?
Why doesn't it just depend on the location of the bottom?
To clarify, I'm not saying centre the object that distance below and see if you can see it.

Can you see the base of a tree at 1 mile distance, if the base of the tree is 6 ft below the level of the tube?
No. Not on your globe.
I didn't ask about the globe.
Just directly answer the question.
If the base of the tree is 1 mile below the level of the tube, can it be seen? Yes, or no?
Note that the answer to this question will apply REGARDLESS of the shape of Earth.
That is why you continually avoid it, you want to claim you can for a FE, but can't for a RE.

Again, what magic prevents us from seeing the RE through a level tube?
The fact there is no globe.
Is this an admission that your prior arguments against the globe are pure BS and the only thing you have to rely upon is the alleged non-existence of such a globe?
If so, that makes it entirely circular reasoning. You claim this disproves a globe, but your only justification relies upon you already assuming Earth isn't a globe. Remove that baseless and false assumption and you have nothing.
If not, then tell us what magic prevents a hypothetical person on a hypothetical RE with a radius of 6371 km from seeing the ground through a level tube.

Again, what should the tilt be (provide a number) for an object 30 km away?
How much of such an object should be hidden at a 30 km distance, if you are standing 2 m above the RE?
Just work out the drop of 8 inches per mile squared.
Bear that in mind that the drop would have to be he tilt because your object is not just going to sink, plumb into the sea.
Don't tell me to work it out. I have already provided the math and shown everyone that your claim is pure BS.
The tilt will not be massive.
Stop just claiming it will be massive and instead directly answer the trivial questions, showing the math to back it up.
This means providing an actual numerical answer. i.e. how many m or ft or yards or whatever unit of distance you want that will be hidden and how many degrees or radians or whatever unit of angle you want that it would be tilted.

These are all simple trivial questions which you seem to need to continually avoid as they so easily defeat your claims.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5139 on: May 17, 2021, 01:57:37 AM »
But it isn't, so that's that sorted out.

Quote from: Smoke Machine
Which flat map on paper or map app do you use to navigate around?
Any that do the job.

Do you use google maps? Have a navman in your car?
Yep.

Those apps incorporate earth curvature into the maps, don't they?
Nope. Not unless you mean hills and mountains and bumpy roads, etc. Do you mean this?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5140 on: May 17, 2021, 02:13:39 AM »

You changing it will not alter my thoughts on ground positioning stations.

How much of such an object should be hidden at a 30 km distance, if you are standing 2 m above the RE?
Bear that in mind that the drop would have to be he tilt because your object is not just going to sink, plumb into the sea.
Don't tell me to work it out.

Are you scared to work it out?

JackBlack

« Reply #5141 on: May 17, 2021, 03:14:15 AM »
I'm not changing it. And it seems nothing will alter your thoughts to accept reality rather than continually living in a fantasy.

No. Are you?
I already did remember.
With a height of 2 m, the horizon is ~ 5 km away, leaving 25 km of distance which obscures the object leaving ~ 50 m hidden.
I did this plenty of times, the most recent being in this post:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=87127.msg2317179#msg2317179
Which you seemed completely incapable of dealing with in any rational manner.
If you don't like that calculation which shows you are spouting pure BS, then explain what is wrong with it and provide your own.

But you seem terrified, because all you have are your pathetic assertions backed up by nothing.
So again, YOU DO THE MATH, YOU show how much should be hidden on a RE, and what the tilt should be.
No bold qualitative claims pulled from thin air, but actual numbers, justified through math.

While you are at it, answer the rest of the questions you keep on avoiding.
Again, If you have a tube, 1 inch in a diameter and 10 inches long, with this tube level and you looking through the tube with your eye at the midpoint of the tube's height and directly against the end of the tube, how far below the tube can an object at 1 mile distance be, in order to still be visible through the tube?
Can you see the base of a tree at 1 mile distance, if the base of the tree is 6 ft below the level of the tube?

Any that do the job.
So the ones based upon a globe.

Nope. Not unless you mean hills and mountains and bumpy roads, etc. Do you mean this?
As they are based upon GPS, and use latitude and longitude, they most certainly do account for the curvature of Earth. Otherwise they would have no idea where you are, and no idea what the distance between 2 points is.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5142 on: May 17, 2021, 03:23:08 AM »
No. Are you?
I already did remember.
With a height of 2 m, the horizon is ~ 5 km away, leaving 25 km of distance which obscures the object leaving ~ 50 m hidden.

Your turbines are around 21 miles away, so how about you work out the drop over that distance using the 8 inches per mile squared and see what you come up with.

JackBlack

« Reply #5143 on: May 17, 2021, 04:07:51 AM »
No. Are you?
I already did remember.

Your turbines are around 21 miles away, so how about you work out the drop over that distance using the 8 inches per mile squared and see what you come up with.
Why?
The 8 inches per mile squared is based upon the formula I used, d^2/(2*R).
If you put in a distance of 1 mile, you end up with 1/(2*3958.8) miles which is 0.00012630089 miles, which is 8.0024243904 inches.
Where did you think it came from?

Just what point does me then doing the 8 inches per mile squared do?
You already have the calculation.
Can you show any fault at all?
Can you do your own calculation?
Or can you just continually pathetically deflect?

If I provide the calculation based upon 8 inches per mile squared, will you then either admit you were completely wrong or do the calculations yourself, including the calculation to show what the expected tilt is?

If not, just what point is there for me to do it?

Again, you just seem to be doing whatever you can to avoid such trivial questions which so clearly show you are wrong.

« Reply #5144 on: May 17, 2021, 06:39:36 AM »

Any that do the job.

Ok
Mercator does the job for the southern hemisphere.
Is it valid?

« Reply #5145 on: May 17, 2021, 06:41:52 AM »

8in only works to a certain distance because after a certain point, a parabola is not the same shape as a circle.

The tilt was worked out.
You rejected it and have yet to show a counter tilt value.
So no, YOU are scared to work it out.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #5146 on: May 17, 2021, 06:58:07 AM »

Any that do the job.

Yep.

It's kind of ironic that you use Google Maps. Considering it's predicated on a Globe earth:

Google Maps Platform
The Maps JavaScript API uses the following coordinate systems:

Latitude and longitude values, which reference a point on the world uniquely. (Google uses the World Geodetic System WGS84 standard.)
Whenever the API needs to translate a location in the world to a location on a map, it first translates latitude and longitude values into a world coordinate. The API uses the Mercator projection to perform this translation.
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/coordinates

Clearly they state they use the WGS84 spheroid model for datum and a Mercator Globe projection for presentation. How do you reconcile your use of a Globe map?

« Reply #5147 on: May 17, 2021, 07:28:52 AM »

Any that do the job.

Yep.

No. I don't mean that.

I mean, if you zoom all the way out on google maps, you will see earth is displayed as a globe. The reason they did this was to more accurately display the earth.

If you don't believe me, try it for yourself on your desktop interface, first.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5148 on: May 17, 2021, 08:48:51 AM »

Great!

So simple.

You said because the circle contained an image of a ball earth that the circular nature of the circle was therefore invalid - whoch is irrelevant.

I and others have repeatedly asked you back and repeatedly to provide your own then to prove massive tilt and to prove some tu-tube experiment.

We re stll waiting.
Yuo re still dodging.
Ok, so you're asking me to draw a circle as big as the picture you showed of what you believe is your global Earth...right?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5149 on: May 17, 2021, 08:53:26 AM »

I'm not changing it. And it seems nothing will alter your thoughts to accept reality rather than continually living in a fantasy.

I believe you're the one living in a fantasy world, so we seem to be rigid in our thoughts.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5150 on: May 17, 2021, 08:54:20 AM »

Any that do the job.

Ok
Is it valid?
Not if it goes by a southern hemisphere as part of a globe, no.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5151 on: May 17, 2021, 08:56:28 AM »
8in only works to a certain distance because after a certain point, a parabola is not the same shape as a circle.
And what would that distance be.....roughly?

Quote from: Themightykabool
The tilt was worked out.
You rejected it and have yet to show a counter tilt value.
So no, YOU are scared to work it out.
Well let's see about it when you work out the 8 inches per mile squared to a distance of what you say only works.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5152 on: May 17, 2021, 08:58:36 AM »

Any that do the job.

Yep.

It's kind of ironic that you use Google Maps. Considering it's predicated on a Globe earth:

Show me a google map.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5153 on: May 17, 2021, 09:02:38 AM »

Any that do the job.

Yep.

No. I don't mean that.

I mean, if you zoom all the way out on google maps, you will see earth is displayed as a globe. The reason they did this was to more accurately display the earth.

If you don't believe me, try it for yourself on your desktop interface, first.
Ahhhh right. Zoom all the way out into your space and see Earth as a nice big ball/sphere/globe....right?

Sooooo, did they use a deep space video of it and if so, what?
Or is it a CGI representation of what they want us to believe?

You see, when you zoom in with the so called global set up you get to see stuff as it was months earlier, as if it was taken by a plane at those times.

Unless you can show me the real time stuff.....can you?

« Reply #5154 on: May 17, 2021, 09:07:16 AM »

Great!

So simple.

We re stll waiting.
Yuo re still dodging.
Ok, so you're asking me to draw a circle as big as the picture you showed of what you believe is your global Earth...right?

are you stupid?
you must be stupid.

becuase the exact question was

"draw a circle of diameter 12,750,000units in diameter with a 2unit stick on top"

so how "big" a circle do you need to draw?
it could be pixels.
it could be milimeters.
it could be beans.
it could be bricks.
it could be hand prints.

it could be whatever - what it NEEDS to be, is of scale.
12,750,000 to 2.

try and be less stupid.

« Reply #5155 on: May 17, 2021, 09:13:16 AM »

Any that do the job.

Ok
Is it valid?

so how far is it from south america to australia?

because i'm saying the mercator gets a pilot from A to B.
how can a map be one - valid if it gets a pilot from A to B - yet also invalid because it requires the souther hemisphere to be real?
your invalidation is solely based on the southern hemisphere.
They can not both exist in the same reality.

so now you need a method or magical reaosn why South A to Australia is possible on mercator but not on your flat earth map.
now you need to the prove geometric distance.
you've decided to pick another really really interesting arguement.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #5156 on: May 17, 2021, 10:05:56 AM »

Any that do the job.

Yep.

Show me a google map.

Sure:

Google Maps Platform
The Maps JavaScript API uses the following coordinate systems:

Latitude and longitude values, which reference a point on the world uniquely. (Google uses the World Geodetic System WGS84 standard.)
Whenever the API needs to translate a location in the world to a location on a map, it first translates latitude and longitude values into a world coordinate. The API uses the Mercator projection to perform this translation.

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/coordinates

Clearly they state they use the WGS84 spheroid model for datum and a Mercator Globe projection for presentation. How do you reconcile your use of a Globe map?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5157 on: May 17, 2021, 10:21:22 AM »

Great!

So simple.

We re stll waiting.
Yuo re still dodging.

are you stupid?
you must be stupid.

becuase the exact question was

"draw a circle of diameter 12,750,000units in diameter with a 2unit stick on top"

so how "big" a circle do you need to draw?
it could be pixels.
it could be milimeters.
it could be beans.
it could be bricks.
it could be hand prints.

it could be whatever - what it NEEDS to be, is of scale.
12,750,000 to 2.

try and be less stupid.
Help me out by drawing that circle you asked me to draw with that scale.
Show me.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5158 on: May 17, 2021, 10:22:14 AM »

Any that do the job.

Ok
Is it valid?

so how far is it from south america to australia?

because i'm saying the mercator gets a pilot from A to B.
how can a map be one - valid if it gets a pilot from A to B - yet also invalid because it requires the souther hemisphere to be real?
your invalidation is solely based on the southern hemisphere.
They can not both exist in the same reality.

so now you need a method or magical reaosn why South A to Australia is possible on mercator but not on your flat earth map.
now you need to the prove geometric distance.
you've decided to pick another really really interesting arguement.
You are appealing  to what you believe is, authority

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5159 on: May 17, 2021, 10:23:43 AM »
Show me a google map.

Sure:

So this is a real Earth globe...right?