What would change your mind?

• 5620 Replies

JackBlack

Re: What would change your mind?
« Reply #4500 on: April 24, 2021, 04:35:28 AM »
You think so because you believe you're living on a globe.
No, I think so because that is what simple logic and reason dictates.
Again, the fact you continually avoid trivial questions shows that your position is not based upon logic nor reason. Instead it is just irrational hatred of the globe, and you just dismiss anyone who doesn't agree as only thinking you are wrong because they know they live on a globe.

It truly is pathetic.

Again, why do you continue to avoid these simple questions?
If you have a tube, 1 inch in a diameter and 10 inches long, with this tube level and you looking through the tube with your eye at the midpoint of the tube's height and directly against the end of the tube, how far below the tube can an object at 1 mile distance be, in order to still be visible through the tube?
Can you see the base of a tree at 1 mile distance, if the base of the tree is 6 ft below the level of the tube?

« Reply #4501 on: April 24, 2021, 11:16:53 AM »
Explain to me nice and simply exactly how and why looking through two tubes set up on a slope so they are in line and level with each other proves in any way what shape the Earth is.  I do love your little sketch of Bob the Builder by the way.  Complete with Hi-Vis jacket and yellow hard hat so as to keep the HSE people at bay.  Very cute!

Also explain what your cross-hairs were made of, and how you managed to get them both in focus from your eye point. What is that cross like structure hanging between you and the tubes?  I get it that the tubes have crosshairs mounted in them. If there is 5ft between the tubes then you would be standing about 30ft away from the tubes based on your diagram.  You wouldn't be able to see the crosshairs clearly enough to see when they were exactly in line from that distance. Drawing lines and circles on a screen is one thing but actually setting up this sort of experiment would be hard and essentially pointless in relation to what you could learn from it. I'd love to see some photos of your set up if you actually put in the time and effort to do this.

All your 'experiment' does in an almost cartoon like way is explain very loosely how theodolites work.  Which is well known in architectural circles.

The horizon (theoretical) line is your very own eye converging light and shade over a level distance, meaning below and above atmosphere meet.

I agree with you that the horizon is a theoretical line. Although I wouldn't use the word theoretical. I would use apparent instead. If I look out towards the horizon I will see a 'line' which separates the sky from the sea or land. The horizon is the border between surface and sky.  If I see a buoy floating on the water apparently sitting on the horizon and then swim up to it the buoy will no longer be on the horizon. The horizon will have 'moved'.

In the same way if I look along a disused straight length of railway track the rails will seem to converge to a theoretical or apparent point in the distance. I know they don't in reality but it just looks like they do due to perspective. I could travel along an infinitely long and straight railway track at whatever speed I wanted and I would never reach the 'point' along the track where the rails actually converge. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 01:04:27 PM by Solarwind »

« Reply #4502 on: April 24, 2021, 03:42:48 PM »
This would not happen if you were looking horizontally over a globe.
You keep repeating this same pathetic lie, but you are yet to justify it at all.
On a globe, you will see to the actual horizon for your location. This is a real, physical horizon, not just some effect of perspective or your nonsense gradient BS.

You think so because you believe you're living on a globe. I wouldn't expect you to argue for anything else.
You'll only change that stance when you question the globe, which I do not believe will be anytime soon, if ever.

Sceptimatic, no legitimate reason has been provided by you or anyone else for JackBlack or any person in general, to ever question the validity of the globe model of Earth.

Why don't you work out the circumference of Antarctica on your flat earth model, sceptimatic, as compared to the accepted and well documented circumference. Then, rent yourself a yacht and sailing crew, and sail around Antarctica, and get back to us all. (Take Danang along with you for the ride)

One hundred and fifty one pages later of written diahorea, and the globe deniers are still globe deniers and the globe accepters still globe accepters. It's a stalemate.

If anything, I feel sceptimatic's incredibly weak arguments, have possibly brought many fence sitters from youtube, back to the status quo of the globe model.

Nice work, sceptimatic!  ;D

OTBL0829

• Blah blah blah
« Reply #4503 on: April 25, 2021, 12:17:34 AM »
I believe we live on a globe.

No wait, scratch that. I KNOW we live on a globe.

What would change my mind? A number of things

1. Traveling anywhere in the southern hemisphere and seeing the star Polaris

2. Traveling anywhere else in the world and seeing a part of the moon that is not visible from where I am, as would have to happen on a flat earth model

3. NASA coming out and admitting it  >:D

4. Seeing the "southern ice wall", possibly guarded by penguins (with machine guns??)

5. A friend travels to Antarctica and never is seen again...

To me there is little solid, rational evidence to prove the earth is flat. The Earth has already been PROVEN to be round, so the burden of proof is on those who say the earth is flat.

So far the only explainations I've seen have been similar to "I don't see a curve" or "I walked around a bit with a level and it didn't change therefor the earth is flat". For whatever reason no FEers have been able to explain why we all see the same face of the moon, why travels from Asia to North america don't go over the north pole or instead take an absurdly long route that would take several days to complete, why only some stars are visible from certain places, why stars move across the sky in different directions depending on where you are, and why people are able to live and work in antarctica, travel to the south pole, and not run into an ice wall.

So currently, there are just too many problems with the FE model to be plausible, and little scientific evidence to support it. And by scientific evidence, I mean done by actual scientists, not some random pleb on the internet that hasn't gone to college or likely even high school, thinking that holding a glass of water to the horizon proves a flat earth.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4504 on: April 25, 2021, 01:20:48 AM »

What?
The horizon is light atmoshphere on dark atmosphere?
To your level sight of the shades of it through the stacked layers, over distance, yes.
That's why you get your theoretical horizon line.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4505 on: April 25, 2021, 01:23:23 AM »

The horizon (theoretical) line is your very own eye converging light and shade over a level distance, meaning below and above atmosphere meet.
Where they meet is the difference is light and shade.
Generally above light takes precedence over below, in normal atmospheric natural light.

You are not seeing ground in a physical aspect, nor sea. You see dense atmosphere above it and less dense atmosphere from the sky that both meet to your eye as you look out horizontally level.

It creates a theoretical line.

So what if I take a photograph. Does my very own eye converging light and shade happen before or after the photo is taken?
Whether you look level or take a photo of that distance.... level.... you see the theoretical horizon line.

JackBlack

« Reply #4506 on: April 25, 2021, 01:41:28 AM »
Whether you look level or take a photo of that distance.... level.... you see the theoretical horizon line.
You mean the REAL line, at some finite distance away?

Again, what magic prevents us seeing the RE?
Again, If you have a tube, 1 inch in a diameter and 10 inches long, with this tube level and you looking through the tube with your eye at the midpoint of the tube's height and directly against the end of the tube, how far below the tube can an object at 1 mile distance be, in order to still be visible through the tube?
Can you see the base of a tree at 1 mile distance, if the base of the tree is 6 ft below the level of the tube?

« Reply #4507 on: April 25, 2021, 01:47:49 AM »

What?
The horizon is light atmoshphere on dark atmosphere?
To your level sight of the shades of it through the stacked layers, over distance, yes.
That's why you get your theoretical horizon line.

Looks likr water to me.
Anyone else see water on the bottkm?

https://images.app.goo.gl/sEHvbbZdeq86YMDP6

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4508 on: April 25, 2021, 02:55:14 AM »
Explain to me nice and simply exactly how and why looking through two tubes set up on a slope so they are in line and level with each other proves in any way what shape the Earth is.  I do love your little sketch of Bob the Builder by the way.  Complete with Hi-Vis jacket and yellow hard hat so as to keep the HSE people at bay.  Very cute!
If water level won't convince you then nothing will.
However, if your Earth is the globe you believe it to be then you understand that.... you..... looking level should clearly understand that your globe, underfoot will curve down and away from that vision with every inch, no matter how small the curve would be.

It would never rise up to meet your centre point of the tube (crosshair).
This is why standing on a downward gradient with level tube set up, shows there would be no view of the ground beneath and the ground beneath would change height over distance between that ground and tube end.

Basically you would never see any ground but would see into the distance, any ground that rose up from that downward gradient end if it rose up enough to get back into line of sight.

However, because I am are arguing against a globe and consistent downward curve over distance, you will never see anything merge, as in the convergence of shades of light, only sky itself, assuming it was magically possible to do it on a globe, which it isn't because a globe would not offer us anything of the sort.

Quote from: Solarwind

Also explain what your cross-hairs were made of, and how you managed to get them both in focus from your eye point.
Cotton for tube and string from the hanging cross. Very simple and inexpensive or even free for ready to hand household bits and pieces.

What is that cross like structure hanging between you and the tubes?
Just a starter point for the eye focuse to the tubes.
It ensures there is no angled view and keeps a point to point level focus over a small distance over the downward gradient.

I get it that the tubes have crosshairs mounted in them. If there is 5ft between the tubes then you would be standing about 30ft away from the tubes based on your diagram.  You wouldn't be able to see the crosshairs clearly enough to see when they were exactly in line from that distance.
You can do this experiment over 12 feet, no problem.

A one foot tube and 5 feet gap plus one foot tube, plus a 3 foot cross and a two foot distance to eye from that.

Drawing lines and circles on a screen is one thing but actually setting up this sort of experiment would be hard and essentially pointless in relation to what you could learn from it. I'd love to see some photos of your set up if you actually put in the time and effort to do this.
Go and do it. Simple stuff and you are welcome to actually use a cheap scope to view through the set up if your eyes are a bit dodgy over a small distance.

a cheap bird watching scope or whatever...it doesn't matter just as long as your start focus is through all crosshairs.

All your 'experiment' does in an almost cartoon like way is explain very loosely how theodolites work.  Which is well known in architectural circles.
I could've told anyone to go and use a theodolite. How many people do you know that pown one?

I put out a simple experiment and a back up to ensure no cheating.
If you have a theodolite then by all means use it....but here's the key.

If you take JJA's set up and use a theodolite on that, knowing you have to set up the measuring stick to gain a level over distance, how high do you think that measuring stick would be as you moved down that gradient from a level set up?

Soooo, how in the hell would anyone expect to see the ground from thats et up?
The only way you can do that is to set up your sights on an angle down that gradient, which would obviously show the actual slope itself.....but that's not what the argument is about.

I agree with you that the horizon is a theoretical line. Although I wouldn't use the word theoretical. I would use apparent instead. If I look out towards the horizon I will see a 'line' which separates the sky from the sea or land. The horizon is the border between surface and sky.  If I see a buoy floating on the water apparently sitting on the horizon and then swim up to it the buoy will no longer be on the horizon. The horizon will have 'moved'.
It is theoretical. It does not exist as a real line.
If you want to call it apparent then fine, as long as you accept it does not exist as a real line.
The horizon does not use a surface, it uses a convergence of shades from the surface and sky, not a physical hit on the surface.

Asfor seeing abuoy on your horizon. You never will. You would see it as an obstacle to your view of your theoretical horizon line or as a stand up above your theoretical horizon line.

The theoretical line is your convergence from your view over distance. The second you move forward the very second your theoretical horizon line moves away...because it's specific to your eye level sight over that distance.

In the same way if I look along a disused straight length of railway track the rails will seem to converge to a theoretical or apparent point in the distance. I know they don't in reality but it just looks like they do due to perspective.
Just convergence and no real angles are used.

I could travel along an infinitely long and straight railway track at whatever speed I wanted and I would never reach the 'point' along the track where the rails actually converge.
Yep, the very same as the horizon. It's all specific to you and every other individual has their own based on their own sight convergence..

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4509 on: April 25, 2021, 03:09:49 AM »
Sceptimatic, no legitimate reason has been provided by you or anyone else for JackBlack or any person in general, to ever question the validity of the globe model of Earth.
Feel free to keep thinking that. I wouldn't expect anything else from people like you.
The one's that gain for it are those who are willing to sidestep attempted ridicule and actually question the global indoctrinated model.

Quote from: Smoke Machine
Why don't you work out the circumference of Antarctica on your flat earth model, sceptimatic, as compared to the accepted and well documented circumference.
Well documented?
What does well documented actually mean in terms of what you believe you know to be, factual?
I'll take it you've done all the necessary travelling and working out and not just relying on stories....right?

If so, tell me about it.

Then, rent yourself a yacht and sailing crew, and sail around Antarctica, and get back to us all. (Take Danang along with you for the ride)
The go to retort when you can't bully people into believing a globe, so use stuff like this.
You think a yacht would solve any puzzle of the Earth?
The only solving of any puzzle against a global Earth is to first know it is not a global Earth we supposedly walk/sail upon or fly over.

Very simple experiments and logical thoughts are all that's required to scupper any global model people have been bullied into accepting.
Those who refuse to question it will accept the magical stuff that keeps it alive. Many, including yourself, will never dare to question that because ridicule is not something you could take much of, in my opinion.

One hundred and fifty one pages later of written diahorea, and the globe deniers are still globe deniers and the globe accepters still globe accepters. It's a stalemate.

If you accept a stalemate you accept there is no legitimate proof of your globe, so that's fair enough.

If anything, I feel sceptimatic's incredibly weak arguments, have possibly brought many fence sitters from youtube, back to the status quo of the globe model.
You are welcome to feel what you want to but it changes nothing from my side.

Nice work, sceptimatic!  ;D
Thanks.
It leaves you struggling.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4510 on: April 25, 2021, 03:11:07 AM »
You mean the REAL line, at some finite distance away?
There is no real line.

« Reply #4511 on: April 25, 2021, 03:11:16 AM »
However, if your Earth is the globe you believe it to be then you understand that.... you..... looking level should clearly understand that your globe, underfoot will curve down and away from that vision with every inch, no matter how small the curve would be.

It would never rise up to meet your centre point of the tube (crosshair).
This is why standing on a downward gradient with level tube set up, shows there would be no view of the ground beneath and the ground beneath would change height over distance between that ground and tube end.

Basically you would never see any ground but would see into the distance, any ground that rose up from that downward gradient end if it rose up enough to get back into line of sight.

However, because I am are arguing against a globe and consistent downward curve over distance, you will never see anything merge, as in the convergence of shades of light, only sky itself, assuming it was magically possible to do it on a globe, which it isn't because a globe would not offer us anything of the sort.

Also explain what your cross-hairs were made of, and how you managed to get them both in focus from your eye point.
Cotton for tube and string from the hanging cross. Very simple and inexpensive or even free for ready to hand household bits and pieces.

What is that cross like structure hanging between you and the tubes?
Just a starter point for the eye focuse to the tubes.
It ensures there is no angled view and keeps a point to point level focus over a small distance over the downward gradient.

I get it that the tubes have crosshairs mounted in them. If there is 5ft between the tubes then you would be standing about 30ft away from the tubes based on your diagram.  You wouldn't be able to see the crosshairs clearly enough to see when they were exactly in line from that distance.
You can do this experiment over 12 feet, no problem.

A one foot tube and 5 feet gap plus one foot tube, plus a 3 foot cross and a two foot distance to eye from that.

Drawing lines and circles on a screen is one thing but actually setting up this sort of experiment would be hard and essentially pointless in relation to what you could learn from it. I'd love to see some photos of your set up if you actually put in the time and effort to do this.
Go and do it. Simple stuff and you are welcome to actually use a cheap scope to view through the set up if your eyes are a bit dodgy over a small distance.

a cheap bird watching scope or whatever...it doesn't matter just as long as your start focus is through all crosshairs.

I could've told anyone to go and use a theodolite. How many people do you know that pown one?

I put out a simple experiment and a back up to ensure no cheating.
If you have a theodolite then by all means use it....but here's the key.

If you take JJA's set up and use a theodolite on that, knowing you have to set up the measuring stick to gain a level over distance, how high do you think that measuring stick would be as you moved down that gradient from a level set up?

Soooo, how in the hell would anyone expect to see the ground from thats et up?
The only way you can do that is to set up your sights on an angle down that gradient, which would obviously show the actual slope itself.....but that's not what the argument is about.

It is theoretical. It does not exist as a real line.
If you want to call it apparent then fine, as long as you accept it does not exist as a real line.
The horizon does not use a surface, it uses a convergence of shades from the surface and sky, not a physical hit on the surface.

Asfor seeing abuoy on your horizon. You never will. You would see it as an obstacle to your view of your theoretical horizon line or as a stand up above your theoretical horizon line.

The theoretical line is your convergence from your view over distance. The second you move forward the very second your theoretical horizon line moves away...because it's specific to your eye level sight over that distance.

In the same way if I look along a disused straight length of railway track the rails will seem to converge to a theoretical or apparent point in the distance. I know they don't in reality but it just looks like they do due to perspective.
Just convergence and no real angles are used.

I could travel along an infinitely long and straight railway track at whatever speed I wanted and I would never reach the 'point' along the track where the rails actually converge.
Yep, the very same as the horizon. It's all specific to you and every other individual has their own based on their own sight convergence..

Anyone catch that he flipped and used scope in the understood common term of tube with lensed magnifier?
"Brid scope"

Ohooweee
And at the end hes flipping now.
Playing his word games.
- sceppy, no one here believes you can walk up to the horizon and see a literal line drawn in the sand/ painted in the wall (spilers***  ref truman show ending)
Haha amazing!
Truly amazing!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 03:15:00 AM by Themightykabool »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4512 on: April 25, 2021, 03:15:38 AM »
So if we are looking (or taking a photo) and not perfectly level, then we see the real horizon. Dude, are you paraplegic or perhaps you don't have a neck, you are obsessed with level vision , as if we can't see if we aren't looking level.
You can look up and down and neither is level.

To focus on level you need something that gives you a reference to level.
A spirit level is one good way.

The other way is looking out into the distance and seeing a convergence of shade that gives you a theoretical level line.
This way you know you are looking at eye level to that convergence (theoretical) line.
Anything other than this and you would be looking at sea or ground (angled down, sight) or sky (angled up, sight).

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4513 on: April 25, 2021, 03:20:35 AM »

Anyone catch that he flipped and used scope in the understood common term of tube with lensed magnifier?
"Brid scope"

Yep, you are welcome to use a scope to look through the tube set up, as I said.
You spend far too much time trying to catch me out and fail terribly.

« Reply #4514 on: April 25, 2021, 03:33:26 AM »

"Brid scope"

You changed definitions and acting all surprised wjen no one understands you.
Youre playing games

« Reply #4515 on: April 25, 2021, 03:36:12 AM »
In that case nothing will.  Especially none of the drivel that you keep on coming up with.  Your tube 'experiment' shows that your practical mind is about on the same level as your theoretical mind.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4516 on: April 25, 2021, 03:37:19 AM »

"Brid scope"

Youre playing games
You struggle badly or you are playing games.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4517 on: April 25, 2021, 03:38:24 AM »
You can look up and down and neither is level.

To focus on level you need something that gives you a reference to level.
A spirit level is one good way.

I didn't ask how to look level. I was pointing out that normal people actually don't care if they are looking level or not, and they can see the actual horizon and the actual ground. You keep claiming we will see something entirely different, but insisting it must be 'level sight' to make us magically see what you claim.
Whether you care if you're looking level or not, you still see your horizon and are looking level when you focus upon that horizon.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4518 on: April 25, 2021, 03:39:23 AM »
In that case nothing will.  Especially none of the drivel that you keep on coming up with.  Your tube 'experiment' shows that your practical mind is about on the same level as your theoretical mind.
I'm well aware nothing will change your mind. I'm not interested in changing your mind.
You carry on with what you believe you know, for the rest of your life. I'm fine with it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4519 on: April 25, 2021, 03:40:34 AM »

Where they meet is the difference is light and shade.
Generally above light takes precedence over below, in normal atmospheric natural light.

You are not seeing ground in a physical aspect, nor sea. You see dense atmosphere above it and less dense atmosphere from the sky that both meet to your eye as you look out horizontally level.

You're showing me an horizon and theoretical line.
What is it you're trying to get across?

« Reply #4520 on: April 25, 2021, 05:28:18 AM »
Sceptimatic, you aren't interested in the true shape of the world, just in pushing your agenda and flat earth propaganda.

I don't see the value in what you're pushing, pusher man. The globe model is prominent because everything about this world fits the globe model like a gigantic jigsaw puzzle. You can't even properly describe the model you're selling, can you, yet you expect people to buy it? 

If Earth isn't a globe, you need to be very specific what shape it is, and you can start with the shape of Antarctica and it's size. * Try hard not to pull your usual ignore trick, for once.

In all honesty, it doesn't bother me that you're a dopey flat earther and likely a drag queen. Just so long as you're not a sovereign citizen. I draw the line with that.

« Reply #4521 on: April 25, 2021, 05:31:06 AM »

"Brid scope"

Youre playing games
You struggle badly or you are playing games.

"I knwo you are but what am i?"

Thats the best you can come up with?
Geeezz
Try focusing more on your theory.
Drawing some pictures.
Like the part you cut out where i called you out for chagning light on dark atmosphere to light on surface.
Draw a pictute.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 05:37:52 AM by Themightykabool »

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #4522 on: April 25, 2021, 06:27:02 AM »

So I guess you're changing your mind about us living on the Globe, because Polaris can be seen from high enough elevation in the southern hemisphere near the equator.

You should choose your words more wisely.

Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

?

Jamie

• Retired
« Reply #4523 on: April 25, 2021, 06:36:57 AM »
You placed a long essay out. I asked you a few questions. You can't answer them so don't waste your time going any further.

This is your primary "debate" tactic -- endless deflection.
"Conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because that is more comforting." - Alan Moore

« Reply #4524 on: April 25, 2021, 06:42:20 AM »
Sceptimatic, you aren't interested in the true shape of the world, just in pushing your agenda and flat earth propaganda.
Have to say I am with SM on this one. Sceptimatic is one of those people who simply likes arguing with people and the more the better. So by establishing and preaching unorthodox or unconventional views on things, he knows that people will challenge them. Hence people who come to forums like this and challenge him about his views (i.e. globe believers) are more attractive to him than those who agree with his beliefs. A conspiracy theorist does not seek power from other conspiracy theorists. They feed off those who challenge them.

It is well known among psychologists that you cannot change anyones views simply by arguing with them. So the fact that no one has so far changed Sceptimatics views on anything he believes in, that in itself feeds the further belief that has always existed in his mind that his views are in fact correct.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 06:47:16 AM by Solarwind »

« Reply #4525 on: April 25, 2021, 07:53:43 AM »
Nor did I. I came to try and find out a bit more about the reasons why some people still hang on to the flat Earth belief. I am all for finding alternative explanations or alternative theories but only when there is a need to.

As I read more posts I found that the 'theories' of the flat Earth side became more and more outlandish.  Domes, ice walls, the Sun and Moon moving as if by magic just a few thousand miles above the flat Earth surface. Sometimes I needed to remind myself I hadn't been transported back to the dark ages.

OTBL0829

• Blah blah blah
« Reply #4526 on: April 25, 2021, 08:05:22 AM »

So I guess you're changing your mind about us living on the Globe, because Polaris can be seen from high enough elevation in the southern hemisphere near the equator.

You should choose your words more wisely.

Ah my bad, I should have said seeing polaris when your eye level cannot see past the equator... err... something like that (not sure exactly how to say it)

« Reply #4527 on: April 25, 2021, 12:00:13 PM »
It is well known among psychologists that you cannot change anyones views simply by arguing with them.
Says the person that came here to argue with them.

« Reply #4528 on: April 25, 2021, 12:54:28 PM »
Can you point out any of Sceptimatics claims that you agree with?

« Reply #4529 on: April 25, 2021, 03:12:54 PM »
It is well known among psychologists that you cannot change anyones views simply by arguing with them.
Says the person that came here to argue with them.

Arguing is beneficial and can be enjoyable. Everybody argues. Yeah, sceptimatic will never change his  outlook. So, what?

His outlook forces arguments requiring actual research, experiments, and reading widely. His arguments are making normal folk - globe accepters - smarter. I would also argue these arguments are lifting members like sceptimatic and yourself to higher levels of thought processes, which couldn't hurt.