What would change your mind?

• 5620 Replies

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: What would change your mind?
« Reply #3810 on: March 08, 2021, 05:17:32 AM »
Mand it has been said many times whst is wrong with your premise.... yet you never address and continue to parrot the same claim over and over.

Take a ruler stick.
Take a basket ball.
Place the ruler on the ball.
Does it wrap itself around the ball or does it touch it at one point?
That point is where the curve of the ball curves away from your level sight.
It is the "edge".
The "horizon".
You have to be on the wind up.

« Reply #3811 on: March 08, 2021, 06:22:56 AM »
Refutes nothing.
Continues saying nothing.

« Reply #3812 on: March 08, 2021, 11:12:46 AM »
You have to be on the wind up.

That's weird... that's exactly what everyone else says about you!

JackBlack

« Reply #3813 on: March 08, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »
When you deal with what I originally said, then I'll be happy to go through it.
I have.
To recap:
You claimed that on a RE, when looking out level, you would see nothing but sky.
I showed quite clearly using math that unless your FOV was tiny, or you were extremely high up, you would see the sky.

I proved this with a simple logical which you refused to get past the very first part of it. You dismissed the fact that the RE has a horizon in the first place.
Your claim wasn't simply that it is not visible when looking out level, but that it doesn't exist at all.
This is so you can ignore the fact that a FOV would allow you to see the horizon, even on a RE.

You continually appeal to a level sight so you can pretend the RE can't have a horizon, so you can dismiss the fact that it is so insignificantly below level that you can easily see it.

This is because you know as soon as you admit the RE does have a horizon, the next question is where does it appear, and the math shows that it would be roughly 2.7 arc minutes below level for an observer with eyes 2 m above sea level, and thus it would easily be visible when looking out level.

So you are right, I don't need your recap. I know what you have been doing.

Now, if you don't want to try to justify your claim that the RE would not have a horizon at all, then simply that it does and instead claim that it would not be visible when looking out level, and we can move on.

If you can't bring yourself to admit that the RE would have a horizon, then defend your claim that it would not, remembering that that is claiming it wouldn't have a horizon at all, not merely that it wouldn't have one visible when looking out level.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3814 on: March 09, 2021, 03:50:23 AM »
If you can't bring yourself to admit that the RE would have a horizon, then defend your claim that it would not, remembering that that is claiming it wouldn't have a horizon at all, not merely that it wouldn't have one visible when looking out level.
Upright, 5 feet...level vision...your Earth curving down and away from that. No horizon. How simple can that be ?

« Reply #3815 on: March 09, 2021, 04:25:01 AM »
Draw a circle of size 12,750,000 units wide.
Draw a triangle with tangent to the circle and 2 units above the circle.
Let us know the angle between the 2 unit and the tangent point.
Tangent as defined in the conventional sense.

JackBlack

« Reply #3816 on: March 09, 2021, 12:23:56 PM »
Upright, 5 feet...level vision...your Earth curving down and away from that. No horizon. How simple can that be ?
And yet again you refuse to answer an extremely simple question.

Do you accept that a RE would have a horizon, and just claim that it would not be visible with a level view, or do you claim that the RE does not have a horizon at all?

Quit with the deflection and just answer the question, because so far in this thread you like to appeal to level to pretend there isn't a horizon, to dismiss the fact that the horizon would be so close to level that unless your FOV is tiny you would see it.

So just forget about a level view for now and tell us if you think the RE should have a horizon at all.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #3817 on: March 09, 2021, 12:48:28 PM »

You really have no idea what it is that you object to.

The old saying turns out to be just about true. For a six-foot tall person, the horizon is a little more than 3 miles (5 km) away.

3 miles. That's about it normally. Apparently, you have very limited knowledge as to how globe earth geometry works or even just how massive the earth is. Why in the world would you ever think that at just 3 miles the horizon would be below your view. Just how much do you think the earth would curve downward and away from your eye-level 6' elevation view? What's your calculation given what convention (The thing you argue against) says the size of the earth is? And for the 1000th time, can you post up an image you took showing what you claim?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3818 on: March 09, 2021, 10:35:40 PM »

Do you accept that a RE would have a horizon, and just claim that it would not be visible with a level view, or do you claim that the RE does not have a horizon at all?

Quit with the deflection and just answer the question, because so far in this thread you like to appeal to level to pretend there isn't a horizon, to dismiss the fact that the horizon would be so close to level that unless your FOV is tiny you would see it.

So just forget about a level view for now and tell us if you think the RE should have a horizon at all.
I've answered your question but you certainly avoid answering mine.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3819 on: March 09, 2021, 10:43:31 PM »

The old saying turns out to be just about true. For a six-foot tall person, the horizon is a little more than 3 miles (5 km) away.

3 miles. That's about it normally. Apparently, you have very limited knowledge as to how globe earth geometry works or even just how massive the earth is. Why in the world would you ever think that at just 3 miles the horizon would be below your view.
I'm not the one that thinks the horizon is below my view.
It seems you don't have the ability to comprehend simplictity.
I'll say it again.
The horizon is always at eye level.

Quote from: Stash
Just how much do you think the earth would curve downward and away from your eye-level 6' elevation view?
It doesn't matter to be honest.
It would curve down and away looking from sea level height. At 6 feet the level sight would ensure a much much bigger curve downwards.
The issue is still the same for your globalists. You cannot have any horizon and we clearly do have one, which is another reason why your Earth is not a globe you walk upon or sail upon.

You really need to have a word with yourself about what you believe...not me.

JackBlack

« Reply #3820 on: March 10, 2021, 12:11:16 AM »

Not really. The one time you came close was when you claimed you would have a blur, which you outright refused to go further into.
Remember, this question is simply asking if the RE has a horizon. It isn't asking if you would see it through a level view. That comes later.
You saying you wouldn't see it with a level view is NOT answering that question. It is answering a different question.

So again, do you think the RE has a horizon AT ALL?
Can you actually answer this question and be consistent dealing with whatever issue your answer results in, either explaining why it doesn't have a horizon, or dealing with the logical consequences of it.

When you start actually answering the questions asked instead of the questions you want to be asked your demands to have your questions answered would carry more weight.

I'll say it again.
Except as repeatedly observed, such as in the evidence provided earlier which you dismiss as a conjob with no justification at all, all because it shows you are wrong.
You saying it is worthless when evidence shows you are wrong.

Just how much do you think the earth would curve downward and away from your eye-level 6' elevation view?
Yes it does, as repeatedly shown with you incapable of refuting the logic that shows you are wrong.
Perspective makes things below you appear higher.
That means close to your feet, when the drop is ~0 and the ground is travelling ~ parallel to your line of sight, perspective is going to be more significant and result in the ground appear to rise into your FOV.
Then when further away, past the horizon, the downwards gradient is far more significant and the effect of perspective is less significant, meaning the ground gets lower visually and this is what produces the horizon.

As the math has clearly shown (and you have completely ignored as you cannot refute it), the horizon, when 2 m above sea level, will be at roughly 2.7 arc minutes below level. This is insignificant, and unless you had a tiny FOV, you would see this horizon in a level view.

That is why it matters.
That is why I say you are pretending Earth is a tiny ball you can hold in your hand.
If Earth was such a tiny ball, then when standing 2 m above it, the curvature becomes the dominant effect, before it is anywhere close to visually at eye level.

The issue is still the same for your globalists.
You mean not an issue at all and instead you just continuing to dishonest misrepresent the globe to pretend there is an issue?

You cannot have any horizon and we clearly do have one
Again, is this you claiming that the RE does not have a horizon at all, regardless of what direction you look, or is it merely you claiming that it wouldn't be in a level view?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3821 on: March 10, 2021, 12:37:24 AM »
Not really. The one time you came close was when you claimed you would have a blur, which you outright refused to go further into.

This would be the best you'd get over a short distance.

JackBlack

« Reply #3822 on: March 10, 2021, 01:44:01 AM »
This would be the best you'd get over a short distance.
So are you now claiming the RE does not have a horizon at all? and the best you get is a blur? If so, WHY?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3823 on: March 10, 2021, 02:56:34 AM »

So are you now claiming the RE does not have a horizon at all? and the best you get is a blur? If so, WHY?
I'm not now claiming it, I've always claimed it.
Your global Earth cannot have any horizon. Understand that instead of trying to twist it.

« Reply #3824 on: March 10, 2021, 03:03:27 AM »
It does have a horizon hwich the reason was explained to you.
If you see a ball, it has a circle look to it.
An edge.
Thats rhe horizon.
Where you cease to see the back side of the ball and see the sky behind.

Your explaination of a dwrk on light haze ending of light in a distance of visual limit or whatever word salad you used would end up with a blur.
Not a difinitive sepaeate "thoeritical" line.

TRY DRAWING BOTH THEORIES.
RE and DENP.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #3825 on: March 10, 2021, 10:34:56 AM »

3 miles. That's about it normally. Apparently, you have very limited knowledge as to how globe earth geometry works or even just how massive the earth is. Why in the world would you ever think that at just 3 miles the horizon would be below your view.
I'll say it again.

Just yelling it in red doesn't make it so. You've already been shown countless times that you're just saying something that doesn't fit reality. And that's fine. You would never admit to being wrong, so it doesn't really matter. But at the end of the day, very simple human observation by anyone clearly shows that the horizon doesn't rise to eye-level with altitude. You can claim that all of these observations are faked just to challenge you, but literally everyone knows that is not the case.

If you really wanted to make your point, you would actually post your experiment instead of stomping your feet. But you won't because it would show you are wrong. And that's clear to everyone as well.

It would curve down and away looking from sea level height. At 6 feet the level sight would ensure a much much bigger curve downwards.
The issue is still the same for your globalists. You cannot have any horizon and we clearly do have one, which is another reason why your Earth is not a globe you walk upon or sail upon.

Why would a measurement not matter?  If it curves away in 3 miles, how much does it curve away? That's a pretty significant part of the question. It's really weird to say it doesn't matter.

You're still just relying on your belief system - Saying you can't have something just because you can't have something. It doesn't get more religious than that. Do you ever back anything up with anything other than just your belief system? And no, your "logic", or whatever you think it is, is solely predicated on your "It doesn't work because I don't believe in your sphere..." business. You need something more. Otherwise we're just stuck in this religious belief of yours cul-de-sac. 

JackBlack

« Reply #3826 on: March 10, 2021, 12:25:36 PM »
Yet you repeatedly acted like you weren't claiming it and were doing whatever you can to avoid that claim, repeatedly accusing me of twisting your claims.

This is the claim you need to deal with before trying to claim the horizon is not visible from a level view.

Your global Earth cannot have any horizon. Understand that instead of trying to twist it.
If you want me to understand that outright lie you need to justify it.
Why can't the RE have a horizon?
If we look at a ball, we have a region where the ball is in our vision and a region where it is not. The boundary is its horizon.
So why shouldn't the RE have a horizon?

Again, the best you have been able to give is claiming you would have a blur.
But the only way for that to happen is if the air or whatever causes it to have a blur because the actual horizon would be too far away.
That would simply mean Earth doesn't curve fast enough to cause a visible horizon due to the atmosphere/whatever causing a blur instead.
But that would require the air or whatever to cause that blur in reality, and on a FE. But instead we often get a clear horizon.
That means that a blur clearly is not the reason.

« Reply #3827 on: March 10, 2021, 10:41:51 PM »

I'll say it again.

Sceptimatic, the astronomical horizon is always at your eye level, as it is in perspective drawing. It's also referred to as the geometric or mathematical horizon.

From what I can see, they aren't talking about the astronomical horizon, they are talking about the true horizon. The true horizon is the plane of the earth itself. It is with the true horizon, you get what is referred to as the dip angle.

I fear this isn't really computing with you, is it?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3828 on: March 11, 2021, 01:05:14 AM »
An edge.
Thats rhe horizon.

You are allegedly on your big ball. You don't get to see any fictional edge.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3829 on: March 11, 2021, 01:13:00 AM »
Why would a measurement not matter?  If it curves away in 3 miles, how much does it curve away? That's a pretty significant part of the question. It's really weird to say it doesn't matter.

You people seem to rely on seeing an edge to your globe.
You argue that for ships going down it at short distances and yet....and yet you then argue that you can see lighthouses 10 times the distance. It's a joke.

You people decide to omit atmospheric mass and obscurity over distance until  certain observations show it up...and then....and then is it put down to refraction and a mirage. It's pretty amusing seeing the desperation of media and so called scientists trying to squirm ou of it.
Almost as amusing as NDT saying the Earth's pear shaped.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3830 on: March 11, 2021, 01:14:06 AM »
Yet you repeatedly acted like you weren't claiming it and were doing whatever you can to avoid that claim, repeatedly accusing me of twisting your claims.

This is the claim you need to deal with before trying to claim the horizon is not visible from a level view.

If we look at a ball, we have a region where the ball is in our vision and a region where it is not. The boundary is its horizon.

But the only way for that to happen is if the air or whatever causes it to have a blur because the actual horizon would be too far away.
That would simply mean Earth doesn't curve fast enough to cause a visible horizon due to the atmosphere/whatever causing a blur instead.
But that would require the air or whatever to cause that blur in reality, and on a FE. But instead we often get a clear horizon.
I've never claimed your globe has any horizon, so why are you wasting your time with this?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3831 on: March 11, 2021, 01:27:02 AM »
Sceptimatic, the astronomical horizon is always at your eye level, as it is in perspective drawing. It's also referred to as the geometric or mathematical horizon.
Thee's nu such thing as an astronomical horizon. That's just another made up piece of gunk in order to argue for a globe that has no horizon explanation for eye level view.
It's a classic case of people making stuff up to fit a narrative in mainstream indoctrinated belief's.

Quote from: Smoke
From what I can see, they aren't talking about the astronomical horizon, they are talking about the true horizon.
The true horizon is not based on any globe, nor is it based on space.

The true horizon is the plane of the earth itself. It is with the true horizon, you get what is referred to as the dip angle.
Dip angle?
Let me make this more clear than the clear I've made it.
You are getting no horizon from a level view with supposed sea curving away and down from your position. It's just never happening.

You will get your horizon on a flat sea that interacts with the concave sky in terms of shades. Atmospheric shades that occur because your eyes take in the brightest shades to one point and the darker shades to the other point.
You get your theoretical horizon line. No real edges so don't bother with global edges because you know fine well a globe will have no edge or any reference point for an edge unless you are somehow sitting in your space seeing your so called globe diameter, or some of it.

That is in the mind.
You should realise you are not on a ball or pear like NDT makes out.

I fear this isn't really computing with you, is it?
Of course it isn't. It's nonsense, so why would it?

JackBlack

« Reply #3832 on: March 11, 2021, 01:49:51 AM »

I've never claimed your globe has any horizon, so why are you wasting your time with this?
No, instead you just deflect and pretend you never claimed it didn't have one.

Again, WHAT CAUSES THE BLUR?
What magic stops the RE from having a horizon like other round objects?
Quit with the pathetic deflection and actually justify your outright lies.

An edge.
Thats rhe horizon.
You are allegedly on your big ball. You don't get to see any fictional edge.
No, we don't see any fictional edge. We see a real edge.

Just what do you think magically changes between looking forwards at a ball and seeing the edge and looking down at a ball you are standing on and seeing an edge?

You are getting no horizon from a level view with supposed sea curving away and down from your position. It's just never happening.
It doesn't matter how many times you wish to repeat the same lie, it wont magically make it true.
Simple logic shows when standing with your eyes 2 m above the RE, the horizon will be at ~ 2.7 arc minutes below level. So unless your FOV is tiny, YOU WILL SEE THE HORIZON IN A LEVEL VIEW!
You continually lying and ignoring that fact wont change it.
You need to refute it to change it.

« Reply #3833 on: March 11, 2021, 02:50:31 AM »
Ever see how tennis balls are packed?
They come in a tube.
Are you saying that it is impossoble for tennis balls to be contained in a tube because balls dont have edges?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3834 on: March 11, 2021, 04:50:10 AM »

Ok, you stick to that.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3835 on: March 11, 2021, 04:50:53 AM »
They come in a tube.
Are you saying that it is impossoble for tennis balls to be contained in a tube because balls dont have edges?
Where's the edges?

« Reply #3836 on: March 11, 2021, 06:26:30 AM »
They come in a tube.
Where's the edges?

The ball edgrs id where they touch the tube.

« Reply #3837 on: March 11, 2021, 11:59:16 AM »
Thee's nu such thing as an astronomical horizon. That's just another made up piece of gunk in order to argue for a globe that has no horizon explanation for eye level view.
It's a classic case of people making stuff up to fit a narrative in mainstream indoctrinated belief's.

No its just a classic case of you living in denial of everything you don't like and dismissing whatever doesn't fit in with your belief system. 

JackBlack

« Reply #3838 on: March 11, 2021, 12:34:59 PM »
Ok, you stick to that.
No, I will stick to asking you what magic prevents the RE from having a horizon, something you continually deflect from because you cannot answer.
Something you don't want to answer because you know the only honest way to answer it is to admit the RE DOES have a horizon.
And once you admit that the RE does have a horizon, you are only a few short steps away from that horizon being easily visible with a level view, and thus total defeat.

So you do whatever you can to avoid this simple fact, using whatever dishonest BS you can.

Now again, grow up and address the issue.
Why shouldn't the RE have a horizon?

Where's the edges?
A perfect sphere is effectively entirely edges.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3839 on: March 11, 2021, 11:46:53 PM »
They come in a tube.
Where's the edges?

The ball edgrs id where they touch the tube.
Sorry, there's no edge.
If you have good balance then jump on a large ball and walk with it while it rolls. Do you fall off any edge?
There is no edge.