What would change your mind?

• 5620 Replies
Re: What would change your mind?
« Reply #3540 on: February 07, 2021, 10:22:15 AM »

If you are standing at the perfect distance away from a tree, looking through a tube so that you can see the foot of the tree, which is on the ground, then the light from the foot of the tree (below your level plumb line of sight) is coming up at an angle into the tube into your eye.
Angled.
Not level.

Of course if you angle your tube. But I'm talking about level. Can't you grasp that?

Im also saying level tube.

Level tube, at height you, at distance X so that you can see the foot of the tree.

This seems to have been over looked.
Yes/ no, sceppy?

Regardless of level scope or not, the simple tube from jja shows the FIELD OF VIEW has light coming up from angle.
Leveling doesnt disprove this and a TO SCALE DRAWING shows the earths gentle sloping away will still be visible.
You make point yourself.

Somehow the actual question seems to have been deleted and changed into some other nonsense.
Somehow.

So ive reposted.
See above in large font
Try something better. I'm not quite getting what you're trying to say.

Dodge away.
It was understood when you thought you could use the "level" excuse.
But ive taken that out of the equation.

JackBlack

« Reply #3541 on: February 07, 2021, 01:20:15 PM »
Your FOV would be 1 inch
A FOV is measured in degrees or another angular measurement. It is not a linear measurement.
So saying it would be 1 inch is basically the same as saying you have no FOV.

What you see outside of that tube, is compressed images all a within that 1 inch diameter.
i.e. The light goes into the tube due to perspective.

Like this:

The line on the right is "visually compressed" to fit in the same angular region as that on the left. And then it gets compressed even smaller than that as it goes into your eye.
That "compression" is merely travelling upwards (and downwards) at an angle, such that it always subtends the same angle and thus has a smaller linear size.
That is simply light travelling in straight lines, with an angular FOV.
That is the blue line coming up to see.

There is no need to invoke nonsense like magical compression with linear FOVs, rather than just accepting reality, with angular FOV.

But regardless of if you want to invoke compression, or if you are just going to admit that light travels in a straight line and the blue line gets in; you CAN see things below the level of the tube.
And that means you can see a downwards gradient from a level tube.

With an angular measurement you simply use the angles directly, rather than pretending 1 length is actually a different length.
With a linear measurement and your nonsense compression, then if the tube is 6 inches, and is 1 inch, then at 6 inches you have your reference 1 inch, at 1 foot that 1 inch corresponds to a "compressed" 2 inches, i.e. a 2 inch object will be "visually compressed" to fit into the 1 inch at the end of the tube. At 2 feet, you compress 4 inches into that 1 inch, and so on. At 100 feet, your 1 inch will now fit 200 inches (with it "compressing" to 1 inch at the end of the tube). That means an object 99.5 inches below the tube will be seen. And that is more than 8 feet. So if you were standing 6 feet above flat, level ground on a hypothetical FE, you would see the ground through the tube. If instead of level, if it was sloping down such that over 100 feet sideways it dropped no more ~2.3 feet then you would still see the ground.
For a sharper gradient, you would need further. For example, if for every 20 feet it dropped 1 foot, and you were standing 6 feet above it, you would need 180 feet, as in those 180 feet, the ground would have dropped by 9 feet, and the "visual compression" would compress 15 feet into that 1 inch at the end of the tube, so you would just see the ground.

Again, the simple questions you have been asked shows that to be the case.

What magic stops the blue line? The answer is NOTHING! It will travel to the eye and you will see things below the tube.

Likewise, if you are standing on a level surface (or even with a small downwards gradient), you can stand far enough back from a tree to see the tree from top to bottom through a level tube. That means you can see the ground through a level tube, depending on the FOV and the gradient.

Try something better. I'm not quite getting what you're trying to say.
Stop playing dumb. It is incredibly simple. If you are standing far enough back from a tree and look at it through a level tube you can see the entire tree from top to bottom. This shows that light is coming from the base of the tree and up into the tube and reaching your eye. Exactly what you claim should never happen.

You tell me how it's possible to see the ground of that downward gradient (not the upward gradient after it) by using a level tube on that gradient.
You have already been told.
We have a FOV. We don't magically see in 1D like your diagram pretends.

Remember this diagram (the one you are yet to show a problem for it):

While it is for a tube, a similar principle applies unless you have a scope that gives no FOV (i.e. a FOV of 0)
Light can come up from below that magical line you appeal to.
As light comes up from below, this allows you to see things below eye level, including a downwards gradient, depending on the gradient and FOV.

It doesn't take a genius to realise this, and these questions you keep avoiding show it quite simply and your repeated avoidance shows you likely know you are wrong and are just refusing to admit it.

I ask any genuine person who is not bound by the global peer pressured adherence, to do this for themselves and show that I am correct or wrong.
And if they show you are wrong, you will thus dismiss them as "bound by the global peer pressured adherence" rather than just admit you are wrong.

Now here's the key. I have done it.
Yet you refuse to provide any evidence of that.

Now why would I say this if I haven't checked it out?
To continue propagating your pathetic lie that the RE and so much of science is wrong, and because you need to double down to refuse admitting you are wrong.

It definitely helps if there's truth in it
Glad you can admit it helps. As there is plenty of truth in it.

Teaching a person how to go about in life is one thing. Teaching a person that it's not ok to question stuff outside of the stories told.... is another.
Then you misunderstand entirely.
The point is so they understand how the RE works so they can see all the nonsense spouted by people like you.
For example, without education, they might foolishly think that a simple tube magically makes it so you can only ever see 1 inch of any distant object.
With a proper education which includes understanding, they will realise that light can come up at an angle from the bottom of the tube to the eye.

Likewise, without education, they might be caught off guard by all the nonsense that pretends Earth is a tiny ball, rather than realise that on this massive ball the horizon, when viewed from close to sea level will be so close to eye level it isn't funny.

Likewise, without education, they might foolishly think that you should be able to feel velocity and think that everything should be thrown off the spinning Earth, rather than realise that you don't feel velocity, instead you feel acceleration (or velocity relative to another object), and that the acceleration at the surface of Earth due to Earth's massive size is insignificant for most everyday activities.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3542 on: February 07, 2021, 09:03:30 PM »

Why would you think that the stars are some sort of reflection? What leads you to that conclusion? How much have you studied or attempted to investigate those points of light in the sky?
Just by seeing what we are capable of producing on Earth.

We can make holograms and reflect all kinds of light...etc. We can do this because the Earth does this.
A self sustaining cell.

You just have to look around you, to see what's what.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3543 on: February 07, 2021, 09:19:47 PM »
Like I said, you have no clue.

That's rich coming from someone who preaches about being an 'alternative thinker', dismisses the whole of science yet doesn't seem to be able to tell us anything about his 'alternative' Earth. Who is it that has 'no clue'?
I don't dismiss the whole of science, so why say it?

Quote from: Solarwind
I question what I question. I have my thoughts on many things. That's not thinking I know everything, it's simply thinking against the served platter that we are given and told not to leave scraps.

Why would so many people tell the same lies?  And for so long?
Why do many need to tell lies?
What lies are people telling?
I don't believe for one minute that many people are telling lies. I believe many people are parroting what they were coaxed into parroting. As simple as that.

You seem to think that the whole of science as we know it is based around lies.
Why?
I don't, so why bother saying it.

One person cannot possibly prove everything that is true and real for themselves.
I never implied they could.

We simply don't live that long.  So at various stages in our lives we have to trust and respect the word of others.
  I trust plenty of people and things to an extent.
You're getting yourself wound up because of how you interpret me on a forum, in type.
Calm down, for your own sanity.
For example I cannot personally prove that climate change exists.
I believe it does exist but not in the way we are told.

So should I refuse to accept all the evidence that I hear about on TV and on the internet as fabrication and lies?
Until I can prove it is real for myself?  And if so how shall I go about doing that?
Nobody is asking you to accept anything as lies. You accptt whatever you like as lies or your truth. It's entirely up to you.

I have never seen a live polar bear with my own eyes. So should I refuse to accept that polar bears exist until I have seen one with my own eyes?
I accept they're real. I have no reason to question them. I have seen one at a zoo...but...if I hadn't seen one at the zoo I'd still be quite happy to accept they exist, as I would many things.
You're trying to use things to make out I dismiss everything when you can't get me to accept a silly globe.

When it comes to proof you will happily accept anything that seems to you to 'prove' your beliefs. Including what you see through a toilet roll or whatever. But outside of that you dismiss everything as an apparently deliberate attempt to 'dupe' you.  Why are you so obsessed about people lying to you?
I'm not obsessed about people lying to me. If I think someone is, I'll say it. Otherwise I just go my own way.

When I look through my handheld spectroscope (identical to the one below)

https://amzn.to/2MAmWIJ

At the sky I see a spectrum with absorption lines identical to the know lines in the Suns spectrum.  That is not surprisingly because the sky during the day is illuminated by sunlight.
So you see a spectrum. So what?

Then at night I aim my telescope fitted with a diffraction grating filter at different stars.  In each case I see the same bright spectrum sequence of colours as I do in the Sun and I also see dark lines just like I do in the Suns spectrum.  But for each star I see a different pattern of lines.

What do you conclude from that?
Depending on the angle and distance to a point of light, I assume you will.
What's the issue?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3544 on: February 07, 2021, 09:22:50 PM »

Dodge away.
It was understood when you thought you could use the "level" excuse.
But ive taken that out of the equation.
I'm not dodging...you aren't being clear.
Try taking your time, typing.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3545 on: February 07, 2021, 09:27:01 PM »
Your FOV would be 1 inch
A FOV is measured in degrees or another angular measurement. It is not a linear measurement.

In your mind it may be. In mine it's pretty simple, as I said it.

Your field of vision is from centre point out to one inch diameter of the tube end and what's within that vision.
You have a fluted vision from a one inch tube and it's wrong, unless you have a scope or your naked eye.

Back to JJA's experiment down the gradient with his tube.
That's wrong and you know it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3546 on: February 07, 2021, 09:27:46 PM »

We can make holograms and reflect all kinds of light...etc.

The collective 'We' that you use, does that include you that can't even make a photograph through a tube?

How do you know holograms are real? Have you ever made a hologram?
Yes.

JackBlack

« Reply #3547 on: February 07, 2021, 11:32:09 PM »
Your FOV would be 1 inch

In your mind it may be.
Because in reality we see based upon ANGLES!

But like I said, it doesn't matter if you want to accept those angles, or instead try to appeal to "visual compression" making it appear 1 inch, the blue line still goes up from below the tube and still reaches your eye.

Your field of vision is from centre point out to one inch diameter of the tube end and what's within that vision.
And that is exactly what I have.
Did you not notice those 2 red lines?
They start at the centre point, i.e. the eye, and they go out to the diameter of the tube.
Notice how that naturally makes an angled FOV?

You have a fluted vision from a one inch tube and it's wrong, unless you have a scope or your naked eye.
Again, the simple tube lies between those 2, so if you have it with a scope and with your naked eye, you must have it with the tube.
The only way to not have this angled FOV is if you have a lens with an infinite magnification, but that is not a simple tube.

Again, the simple questions you continue to doge shows this to be the case beyond any doubt.

The fact that you can see an object that is larger than the tube shows light does not magically come in parallel and instead comes in from a cone of angles.

Now again, What magic stops the blue line?
And can you see a tree, from top to bottom, through a level tube if you stand far enough back?

No, it is perfectly fine, and you know it.
If you knew it was fake you would have provided your own evidence.

I'm not dodging...you aren't being clear.
You are dodging, because it is all you can do to pretend you aren't wrong; as any answer to the question will show you to be either so full of BS it isn't funny, or to admit that you are wrong.

« Reply #3548 on: February 08, 2021, 12:19:14 AM »
as any answer to the question will show you to be either so full of BS it isn't funny ...

I think it would be funny. 

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3549 on: February 08, 2021, 12:24:31 AM »
Your FOV would be 1 inch

In your mind it may be.

But like I said, it doesn't matter if you want to accept those angles, or instead try to appeal to "visual compression" making it appear 1 inch, the blue line still goes up from below the tube and still reaches your eye.

Only if your inner tube wall is capable of reflecting light.

« Reply #3550 on: February 08, 2021, 02:25:54 AM »
You're trying to use things to make out I dismiss everything when you can't get me to accept a silly globe.

If anything were to make me angry it is equally silly comments like this. However I don't care enough to allow such comments to make me angry. Obviously people have their own beliefs and they have their reasons for having them.

OK so we are 'silly' to say the Earth is a globe in your opinion.  What shape do you think it is then and why? Why do you think it is the shape that you insist it is?  Any solid object beyond a certain mass naturally forms to be the most efficient shape.  That means smallest surface area for a given volume.  Equals sphere.

Obviously you are not the first and only person to have your 'altenative' beliefs. But until you can match your alternative beliefs with alternative evidence to support it on the scale that there is evidence to support the global Earth model then you are on your own.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 02:27:52 AM by Solarwind »

« Reply #3551 on: February 08, 2021, 03:51:16 AM »

If anything were to make me angry it is equally silly comments like this. However I don't care enough to allow such comments to make me angry.

I have to just laugh.  He calls it "silly".  This is coming from someone who believes the sun and moon are holographic reflections inside a magic ice dome, projected by a Power Crystal and magic light source hidden at the North Pole. 

:D :D :D

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3552 on: February 08, 2021, 04:26:32 AM »
Like I said, you have no clue.

That's rich coming from someone who preaches about being an 'alternative thinker', dismisses the whole of science yet doesn't seem to be able to tell us anything about his 'alternative' Earth. Who is it that has 'no clue'?
I don't dismiss the whole of science, so why say it?

You literally dismiss everything that shows the Earth is round, and everything that follows, which pretty much covers everything.

Can you state a scientific theory you don't dismiss?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3553 on: February 08, 2021, 04:27:56 AM »

You saying it's wrong over and over doesn't make it true.  You have yet to give ANY reason for your claims it's wrong.

Why won't you do it for yourself?  You just assume it's wrong because you THINK it shouldn't work, but clearly have never tried.

« Reply #3554 on: February 08, 2021, 05:51:16 AM »
I have to just laugh.  He calls it "silly".  This is coming from someone who believes the sun and moon are holographic reflections inside a magic ice dome, projected by a Power Crystal and magic light source hidden at the North Pole.

Well you know maybe (just maybe) he might find a way to prove he is right..  In which case we will all be proved wrong and shown to be the silly ones. How long it will take Sceptimatic to do that I haven't a clue but I suspect longer than the human race will exist.

But until he can show us (not just tell us but show us) that he is right then I will happily stick to what I believe (sorry.. to what I have been told) thank you very much.  I'm sure in his own mind he has already proved to himself that he is right. 

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:08:01 AM by Solarwind »

rvlvr

« Reply #3555 on: February 08, 2021, 10:58:45 AM »
Sceptimatic is a Newcastle United fan. You have to cut some slack, as it is a handicap.

JackBlack

« Reply #3556 on: February 08, 2021, 12:54:19 PM »
Not in the slightest.
Just where in my diagram does the blue line reflect off the wall of the tube?
NO WHERE!
That would be akin to the purple line in this diagram:

Again, the blue line just goes straight in the end of the tube and to your eyes.
It doesn't hit any part of the tube, and thus there is no way for the tube to stop it.
That means you can see below the tube.

Again, if you wish to disagree (and pretend your disagree is justified) you need to tell us what magic stop the blue line.
So again, WHAT MAGIC STOPS THE BLUE LINE?

But again, I even explained it with your idea of visual compression, where the distance between the level of the tube and the ground is "visually compressed", where eventually you reach a far enough distance to see ground below you (with the ability depending on the length and diameter of the tube and the slope of the gradient).
Again, the simple fact that you can see an object larger than the tube through the tube shows that you can see things above and below the tube. As shown by yet another question you refuse to answer because you know it will show you are wrong and spouting pure BS.

Again, do you accept you can stand on flat ground far enough away from a tree to see the entire tree from top to bottom through a level tube?

The simple reality is that you WILL see things below the tube, regardless of if you want to accept the fact we have a FOV based upon angles (you know, reality which actually makes sense, where a FOV of 5 degrees is a FOV of 5 degrees, without any extra qualification) and directly use that or use your nonsense with a linear FOV (where a FOV of 1 inch is entirely meaningless as you don't know if it is 1 inch, 1 inch away from you, or if it is 1 inch, 1 km away from you) and appeal to visual compression.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3557 on: February 08, 2021, 09:03:48 PM »
Not in the slightest.
NO WHERE!

Again, the blue line just goes straight in the end of the tube and to your eyes.
It doesn't hit any part of the tube, and thus there is no way for the tube to stop it.

Again, if you wish to disagree (and pretend your disagree is justified) you need to tell us what magic stop the blue line.

Like I told you before. The blue line is in your head. This doesn't happen in the scenario I gave.
In a dark tube looking central from back to front, you do not see down a gradient with the tube on a level.

If you want to play around with angles then you need to argue for a scope or naked eye, not a tunnel vision through a tube.

The only thing you get in a moving distance from a tube is compression as you move away from any object. This is because you bring more light into the equation in the area ytou look into from that diameter of tube.

Remember your focus is from central point. The crosshair point.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3558 on: February 08, 2021, 10:13:21 PM »
Way back on page 62 was this :-

So are you saying this:

Absolutely.

Scepti, do you still stand by this being reality?
Anyone , even you, can easily test this and see that you are wrong. Obviously being wrong is not going to change your mind. So carry on arguing all you like but no sensible person is ever going to agree with you. You seem to think there are silent observers of this thread that may agree with you, there are not.
Yep, I still stand by it, as long as people understand that the tube is just that. A simple dark tube with no lens.

« Reply #3559 on: February 08, 2021, 10:25:32 PM »
Honestly, I've heard less talk about red lines and blue lines when looking at a pregnancy test.

Sceptimatic, could you at least try with your replies to my well thought out posts, or don't reply at all because you're well and truly beaten. "Like I said, you're clueless" is lowest of low content posting, and I'd hate someone to report you.

As I post this, I'm about to finish a toilet roll, and I live on a hill, and own a level. How about I spend two minutes of my time, and photograph how much of the downward slope i can see through my level toilet roll, while I try not to get arrested and thrown in a looney bin.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3560 on: February 08, 2021, 10:29:08 PM »
But anyone, including you, can prove this is wrong for themselves. Try it.

Dark tube , no lens , you are still wrong. Try it.
I have, you obviously haven't.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3561 on: February 08, 2021, 10:33:25 PM »
Honestly, I've heard less talk about red lines and blue lines when looking at a pregnancy test.

Sceptimatic, could you at least try with your replies to my well thought out posts, or don't reply at all because you're well and truly beaten. "Like I said, you're clueless" is lowest of low content posting, and I'd hate someone to report you.
Carry on and do what you need to do. Your baiting is weak and laughable.

Quote from: Smoke Machine
As I post this, I'm about to finish a toilet roll, and I live on a hill, and own a level. How about I spend two minutes of my time, and photograph how much of the downward slope i can see through my level toilet roll, while I try not to get arrested and thrown in a looney bin.
You apparently have everything and then nothing to show for the everything. Do what you feel is best for your own mind.

JackBlack

« Reply #3562 on: February 08, 2021, 10:55:36 PM »
Not in the slightest.
NO WHERE!

Like I told you before
That is the big problem with you. All you ever do is "tell" you never justify or explain.

Stop just telling us the same lies and actually address the problem.

The blue line is in your head. This doesn't happen in the scenario I gave.
Like I have explained to you repeatedly, unless you can explain what magic stops it, it is in reality. It DOES occur in the scenario you gave.

The only thing you get in a moving distance from a tube is compression as you move away from any object.
I.E. What you get is the light coming in from angles and subtending a particular angle of your FOV, just like my diagrams have shown.

Remember your focus is from central point. The crosshair point.
Yes, the eye in my diagram, which can clearly see with an angular FOV.

So are you saying this:

Absolutely.

Anyone , even you, can easily test this and see that you are wrong. Obviously being wrong is not going to change your mind. So carry on arguing all you like but no sensible person is ever going to agree with you. You seem to think there are silent observers of this thread that may agree with you, there are not.
Yep, I still stand by it, as long as people understand that the tube is just that. A simple dark tube with no lens.
And that means that there is no compression, that if you were to look at a distant object through a 1 inch tube, all you would see is 1 inch of it. You would never be able to see any more.

How about this, take that diagram and draw in a tree, showing how you can see it all, from top to bottom.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3563 on: February 08, 2021, 10:56:06 PM »

Anyone, including you, can prove this is wrong for themselves. Try it.
I have.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3564 on: February 08, 2021, 10:57:54 PM »
How about this, take that diagram and draw in a tree, showing how you can see it all, from top to bottom.
What do you mean? What is that going to prove?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3565 on: February 08, 2021, 11:01:18 PM »

I have.

Everyone, excluding you, can prove this is wrong for themselves.
And yet none are doing it.

« Reply #3566 on: February 08, 2021, 11:02:06 PM »

You apparently have everything and then nothing to show for the everything. Do what you feel is best for your own mind.

Sceptimatic, you're struggling again. My arguments are like titanium steel compared to your cotton candy. Don't blame me for the shape of this world not meeting your cell membrane expectations. I'll do what I feel is best, for your mind. I already know how the dunny roll experiment pans out.

JackBlack

« Reply #3567 on: February 08, 2021, 11:06:30 PM »
I have.
Then you know you are wrong. So why keep repeating the same lies?

What do you mean? What is that going to prove?
Well if you do it honestly, it will show that your claim is pure garbage.
Drawing in the tree to scale will show that you only see 1 inch of the tree if your lies were true, directly contradicting your claims of contraction and contradicting extremely simple experiments.

If instead you draw in the actual lines the light takes, you will see that the blue line you want to pretend doesn't exist, does actually exist and you do have light come into the tube from an angle, showing you to be wrong.

So as it shows you are wrong, you obviously wont be doing it.

And yet none are doing it.
They have, you just dismissed it as fake because you don't give a damn about the truth.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #3568 on: February 08, 2021, 11:10:08 PM »

So are you saying this:

Absolutely.

Just to be crystal clear. You're saying that through the regular old tube (no lens) you can only see the tube diameter's worth of the tree - Just the black rectangle area of the trunk (See image) - Nothing else?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3569 on: February 08, 2021, 11:11:05 PM »

Sceptimatic, you're struggling again. My arguments are like titanium steel compared to your cotton candy. Don't blame me for the shape of this world not meeting your cell membrane expectations. I'll do what I feel is best, for your mind. I already know how the dunny roll experiment pans out.
What arguments?
You don't have any arguments.