What would change your mind?

• 5620 Replies

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: What would change your mind?
« Reply #3240 on: January 22, 2021, 06:29:41 AM »

I'm pretty sure they teach people what the shape of a ball is in high school. How you failed to learn that is a mystery.

I did learn it. It was called severe indoctrination...and just like god and santa and the tooth fairy, plus the devil and all the rest of the little add ons...I managed to grow out of it and see it for what it was. Story telling fantasy.

You still believe it all and likely have pictures on your bedroom wall. That's fine, by the way...but.... you have had the ability to see past the story due to seeing it being questioned. Many people haven't had the time nor the inclination to bother.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3241 on: January 22, 2021, 06:42:15 AM »

I'm pretty sure they teach people what the shape of a ball is in high school. How you failed to learn that is a mystery.

I did learn it. It was called severe indoctrination...and just like god and santa and the tooth fairy, plus the devil and all the rest of the little add ons...I managed to grow out of it and see it for what it was. Story telling fantasy.

You still believe it all and likely have pictures on your bedroom wall. That's fine, by the way...but.... you have had the ability to see past the story due to seeing it being questioned. Many people haven't had the time nor the inclination to bother.

No, you clearly didn't learn it because you can't even explain what the words you use mean.

I think the only words you really understand are synonyms for liar, as you think the whole world is lying to you. I hate to break it to you, but you not being able to understand the world doesn't mean it's false.  It just means you don't understand it.

So where are your experimental photos? You must have a lot of hungry dogs. Feed the poor things!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3242 on: January 22, 2021, 07:19:19 AM »

No, you clearly didn't learn it because you can't even explain what the words you use mean.

I think the only words you really understand are synonyms for liar, as you think the whole world is lying to you. I hate to break it to you, but you not being able to understand the world doesn't mean it's false.  It just means you don't understand it.

So where are your experimental photos? You must have a lot of hungry dogs. Feed the poor things!
You've got yourself into a right mess here. It's tantrum attacking. I think you need to calm it down now. You're getting nowhere with this. Either do the experiment or don't. I'm not going to spend post after post trying to pacify your crying and whining.

Get back to me when you've got something honest.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3243 on: January 22, 2021, 08:13:42 AM »

You've got yourself into a right mess here. It's tantrum attacking. I think you need to calm it down now. You're getting nowhere with this. Either do the experiment or don't. I'm not going to spend post after post trying to pacify your crying and whining.

All you can do is call me a liar as you just did again, and refuse to answer questions.

I'm getting nowhere because you simply refuse to answer questions.  The most I get out of you is a "No" when asked something simple like to verify you understand what a word means.  If you can't figure out what a line, curve or boundary is, you really need to go back to school. Learning what words mean isn't indoctrination, you aren't extra smart for not knowing things, just ignorant.

I've done several experiments and your only response is to demand I add more straws and crosshairs and tubes.  Yawn. 

Why won't you show your own experiment? Are you embarrassed at the quality, or did you prove yourself wrong and now have to hide all the quality pictures you took?

I'm happy to show my setup... what's got you so terrified and scared of yours to the point where you can't even come up with excuses any more? 

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3244 on: January 22, 2021, 08:15:04 AM »

All you can do is call me a liar as you just did again, and refuse to answer questions.

Do the experiment and shut me up. Make sure I can't pick at it.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3245 on: January 22, 2021, 08:18:33 AM »

Why can't you just post pictures of your own experiments? Why are you refusing to show them?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3246 on: January 22, 2021, 08:39:42 AM »

Why can't you just post pictures of your own experiments? Why are you refusing to show them?
No need to, I know exactly what's what.
You decided you'd dupe me and got well called out.
Do it honestly and you can shut me right up.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3247 on: January 22, 2021, 09:02:49 AM »

No need to, I know exactly what's what.
You decided you'd dupe me and got well called out.
Do it honestly and you can shut me right up.

How about you stop calling me a liar and post all the photos of your own experiments. If you are so sure of your results, why are you afraid to show them?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3248 on: January 22, 2021, 09:05:15 AM »

How about you stop calling me a liar
I've never called you a liar, Now how about you do your experiment I asked for and do it honestly.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3249 on: January 22, 2021, 09:11:13 AM »
I've never called you a liar, Now how about you do your experiment I asked for and do it honestly.

You did so, and just did it again.  What do you think dishonest means?  What do you think duping means?  What do you think accusing people of not being honest is saying?  Do you understand what a synonym is?  Why don't you show your experimental photos? Since you can't describe them properly, show us the photos of how you do it.  Quit your baseless attacks and accusations and show us, quit making excuses.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3250 on: January 22, 2021, 09:20:20 AM »

You did so, and just did it again.  What do you think dishonest means?  What do you think duping means?  What do you think accusing people of not being honest is saying?  Do you understand what a synonym is?   
You are being very dishonest by claiming I called you a liar.
Now then, if you don't want to do the experiment due to being unable to find a way to dupe me and others, then fine. No issues from me.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3251 on: January 22, 2021, 09:27:41 AM »

You did so, and just did it again.  What do you think dishonest means?  What do you think duping means?  What do you think accusing people of not being honest is saying?  Do you understand what a synonym is?   
Now then, if you don't want to do the experiment due to being unable to find a way to dupe me and others, then fine. No issues from me.

LOL. You just called my a liar while claiming you aren't calling me a liar. This would be pretty funny if it wasn't so sad. You should stop using words you don't understand, which seems to be most of them. Why don't you look up 'dishonest' in the dictionary and then explain what you think it means instead. You demand I change my own experiment and at the same time you won't even show photos of your own. Why not post them? What are you hiding? Are you shamed of your own setup?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3252 on: January 22, 2021, 09:33:19 AM »
Are you shamed of your own setup?
See if you can replicate it.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3253 on: January 22, 2021, 09:39:41 AM »

That's a drawing of your imaginary setup, not a photo. Surely you did this experiment yourself to verify what you see? Why won't you post your photos of it? What are you hiding?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3254 on: January 22, 2021, 09:59:13 AM »

That's a drawing of your imaginary setup, not a photo. Surely you did this experiment yourself to verify what you see?
Are you capable of replicating it?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3255 on: January 22, 2021, 10:07:36 AM »

That's a drawing of your imaginary setup, not a photo. Surely you did this experiment yourself to verify what you see?
Are you capable of replicating it?

Yes I can replicate your experiment. Post photos of your experiment and I'll do so, after all it's not replicating it if you never did it in the first place. Drawing it isn't performing the experiment. So show photos of your actual setup and I'll happily replicate it.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #3256 on: January 22, 2021, 11:03:33 AM »
Did you make it through high school?  College?  Genuinely curious now.

I'll let you decide that. You're scraping your own barrel. You're lost.

Well, since you surrendered and gave up even trying to answer any of my questions I suppose I'll have to guess that no you didn't, or you didn't pay attention.

So where are the pictures of your experiment? Why so scared to show your work? Don't be shy.

Oh no, see my signature, septic has claimed multiple times he has many many degrees and certifications.

You are simply playing word games now, the delineation between what is that globe and what isn't is finite and relative to the observer. You intuitively know this, you're just being incredibly obtuse, which is very very you.

Just because you will only accept that an edge is a hard cut off of something, doesn't mean that's true. I hold up a baseball and to everyone that observes that baseball from any angle (remember, the edge is finite and relative to the observer) it will have a clearly observable edge.

I see you are also still doing the whole "ignore any post you can't answer" thing as well.

Place the straw front edge directly on the line and get back to me.
Ensure it's levelled.

Again septic, semantics. This logic is so clearly flawed its not even fun to debate you on it.

I am genuinely sad at the state of the these forums, we all knew 99% of the people here didn't believe the world was flat, but the mental exercise of debating both sides helped sharpen the logical mind.

Now we have... this.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

JackBlack

« Reply #3257 on: January 22, 2021, 12:42:23 PM »
It only makes it marginally harder to set up but massively harder to cheat
No, it makes both significantly harder and doesn't make it relatively harder to cheat.
It requires you to carefully line up 3 crosshairs over 11 feet.
That will be quite hard. Especially if whoever is doing it doesn't have fancy equipment made to level distant poles.

And due to the angles involved, it will do nothing to stop someone who wants to cheat not having them actually level.

It stinks of dishonestly, no matter what you say.
It stinks of your dishonesty. You demand an experiment, and then dismiss it as fake when it shows you are wrong. You then add on a bunch more conditions to try to pretend the previous experiment you demanded wasn't good enough, when all your conditions to is make it more complicated.

Like I said, the simple ruler experiment shows you are wrong. There is no need to then go to one on a hill or the like.

What is your excuse for that?
He had a fake ruler custom made and switched them between photos?

Because like I said before, if he needs to tilt the tube down to see the lower number, then that would require the higher numbers to be cut off.
It shows that you can see beyond the edges of the tube.

Just like simple logic demands.

Again, what magic stops the blue line.

I did learn it. It was called severe indoctrination
Then you didn't learn.
If you did learn, then you wouldn't see it as indoctrination because you would actually understand.
Instead you didn't learn a thing, saw it as fake nonsense and just parroted back without any understanding at all.

you have had the ability to see past the story due to seeing it being questioned.
The only one promoting a story here is you.
You promote it with numerous outright lies.
Lies you refuse to justify with experiment or logic.
Likes which have been refuted by experiment and logic.

Follow your own advice. The only person currently in this thread who isn't showing any honesty is YOU!

So perhaps you should leave and come back when you've got something honest, like photos from your own experiments, or answers to the simple questions you continue to avoid:
What magic stops the blue line?
Do you accept that you can see an entire house through a much smaller level tube?
Why should the RE have a blend from light to dark as opposed to a clearly visible edge like all other round objects?

No, that is still you with the dishonesty. You are appealing to semantic BS.
You may have technically never directly said he is a liar, but the implication is clear.
You claim his experiment is fake, that even though he provided a photo clearly showing that the tube is level, that it magically wasn't level and that instead he intentionally tilted the tube down to pretend you can see the ground.

You are accusing him of extreme dishonesty when all you have to go on is that he proved you were wrong.
That is effectively calling him a liar.

Now then, if you don't want to do the experiment due to being unable to find a way to dupe me and others, that's only fine if you can actually respond to the logic and you stop repeating your pathetic demands for anyone to do your ridiculous experiments, especially after one was already done and showed you were wrong.

Replicating it would require someone to have already done it. So perhaps you can go and do it first?

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #3258 on: January 22, 2021, 01:07:07 PM »
Oh no, see my signature, septic has claimed multiple times he has many many degrees and certifications.

Now we have... this.

I have 13 actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but here in the States that would be the equivalent of graduating K through 12...

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3259 on: January 23, 2021, 01:35:07 AM »

Yes I can replicate your experiment.
Then, let's see how honest you are in doing so.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3260 on: January 23, 2021, 01:37:08 AM »

Again septic, semantics. This logic is so clearly flawed its not even fun to debate you on it.

I am genuinely sad at the state of the these forums, we all knew 99% of the people here didn't believe the world was flat, but the mental exercise of debating both sides helped sharpen the logical mind.

Now we have... this.
If it's so soul destroying for you then stop torturing yourself by replying. Just see it for what you think it is and be happy.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3261 on: January 23, 2021, 01:44:21 AM »
It only makes it marginally harder to set up but massively harder to cheat
No, it makes both significantly harder and doesn't make it relatively harder to cheat.
It requires you to carefully line up 3 crosshairs over 11 feet.
That will be quite hard. Especially if whoever is doing it doesn't have fancy equipment made to level distant poles.

And due to the angles involved, it will do nothing to stop someone who wants to cheat not having them actually level.

If you think that's hard to replicate then change it to a simple stick in the ground beside the roadway and place the tube atop of the stick.
Set two up like this and a stick behind them with a crosshair, as in my diagram.
How simple is that?

No need for tripods, just a level and a hammer to tap down each stick to a desired plumb and level. Farthest being the longest stick and tube then up the gradient to the second, lined up and then farther with a shorter stick and  hanging crosshair...and....voila.

Having said that, obviously none of you need bother to do it and you can still spend all your time arguing it...but you're proving nothing to me and I have nothing whatsoever to prove to you people.
My stuff is for those who are willing to think.

JackBlack

« Reply #3262 on: January 23, 2021, 02:53:57 AM »
Like he said, in order to replicate it, you need to do it first.
So run along, do the experiment and post your results.

If you think that's hard to replicate then change it to a simple stick in the ground beside the roadway and place the tube atop of the stick.
Set two up like this and a stick behind them with a crosshair, as in my diagram.
How simple is that?
The difficulty is in lining them up.

Having said that, obviously none of you need bother to do it
That's right. Because simlpe logic shows you are wrong, as does the experiment with the ruler.

Again, until you come up with a reason for why the blue line should magically stop because you bring in a tube, logic dictates that you are wrong.

My stuff is for those who are willing to think.
You mean for those willing to accept whatever BS you spout without thinking, and who will just take your word for the result of these experiments, rather than doing it themselves or using the already provided results with actual evidence of those results.

Because even just a little bit of thinking shows your claims to be pure nonsense.
All the tube does is block a part of your FOV. It isn't magic.

Likewise, all balls have clearly visible edges, so the RE would have a horizon.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3263 on: January 23, 2021, 04:30:03 AM »

There's no difficulty.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3264 on: January 23, 2021, 04:55:52 AM »

As honest as you cutting out the rest of my quote?  I said I'd replicate your experiment after you perform it first and show photographs. Nobody can replicate something that hasn't been done in the first place, so lets see your experiment. Where are your photos of it?

Where is your experiment, sceptimatic?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3265 on: January 23, 2021, 04:56:55 AM »

There's no difficulty.

Then why can't you post photos of your experiment if it's so easy to do? 

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3266 on: January 23, 2021, 06:53:22 AM »

As honest as you cutting out the rest of my quote?
It's just repetition.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3267 on: January 23, 2021, 06:54:33 AM »

There's no difficulty.

You were the one that got smug and tried to dupe people.
I'm asking you to prove your honesty and you're showing me you can't,  which isn't any surprise, to me.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3268 on: January 23, 2021, 06:58:37 AM »

As honest as you cutting out the rest of my quote?
It's just repetition.

Yes, you repeatedly avoiding answering questions you are afraid to hear. You're very good at deflecting, ignoring and pretending you didn't see the question asked. Once you perform and show your experiment, then I'll replicate it. How long for you to post your photos then?

Where is your experiment? You can't replicate an experiment that was never performed in the first place. You're asking the impossible, again. Do you not understand how repeating works?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3269 on: January 23, 2021, 07:00:36 AM »

There's no difficulty.

You were the one that got smug and tried to dupe people.
I'm asking you to prove your honesty and you're showing me you can't,  which isn't any surprise, to me.

No, you are the only one here accusing me of trying to dupe you.  I'm smug because you can't respond in any way other than accusations with nothing to back them up. You are asking no such thing, you are asking me to replicate an experiment you never performed, so you need to actually do it first so it can be replicated. Why can't you perform such a simple experiment? The only surprise here is you thinking you are fooling anyone.