What would change your mind?

• 5620 Replies
Re: What would change your mind?
« Reply #3090 on: January 18, 2021, 02:50:29 AM »

Logic will always tell you that a downward gradient with a level overlook, will absolutely not offer you a view of that gradient if you use a tube that creates a tunnel vision,

And logic would also state that if a tube doesn't create MagicTunnel vision, and instead creates an angular field of view that is dependent on the diameter and length of the tube, geometry will tell you precisely if the gradient will be visible or not.

If you ever want anyone to do anything other than laugh at your argument, you need to demonstrate this MagicTunnel vision that you think your tube creates.

(Of course, if you demonstrate it, it would then logically falsify your own imagined world, but that's another subject ...)
Take a look at the diagram I put up and tell me how you can possibly see the downward gradient from a level stand point of the tube on that downward gradient.

To see it you would need to angle the tube towards the ground.

As you stated, if you use a tube that creates a MagicTunnel vision, that would be true. 

If however, this is not the case, then it would not be true.

So demonstrate the MagicTunnel vision from your tube and complete the logical conclusion.

Or don't, and continue to just blather on like a crazy person.  I'll be entertained either way.   :)

JackBlack

« Reply #3091 on: January 18, 2021, 03:03:34 AM »
Take a look at the diagram I put up and tell me how you can possibly see the downward gradient from a level stand point of the tube on that downward gradient.
That has already been explained.
YOU DON'T SEE IN 1D.
Instead you have an angular FOV.
There is a range of angles you can see.

Again, pretty simple, even a complete moron can understand it. So why do you pretend to have so much difficulty?

Again, this is easy to test for yourself, and has been shown to you.
The ruler does it the best, as it shows the further away something is, the more you see of it, and that you can see things above and below the tube.

I always said there was a FOV.
Again, that would be admitting that it is based upon angles.
Your field of vision is compressed into the diameter of the tube.
Which would mean it would be the same angular size as the tube.
That is not what you have been saying.
I think I explained my stance way back.
Yes, when you claimed that a tube magically makes you see a line, instead of an angular FOV, which you continually refuse to justify.
I never said anything of the sort.
Sure you did, just like you do every time you post or refer to your crappy pictures where you show the FOV as a line, rather than as a range.

Now again, care to answer the questions that show you are wrong:
Why should the RE magically have a blend from light to dark instead of a clear edge like every other ball?

What magic makes a tube magically make you see in parallel lines? And what magic stops the blue line from reaching the eye?

Do you accept that looking through a level tube will allow you to see an entire house if you stand far enough away?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3092 on: January 18, 2021, 03:30:11 AM »
YOU DON'T SEE IN 1D.

You do not see a downward gradient from a level tube on that gradient.
Nobody but you is mentioning 1D.

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #3093 on: January 18, 2021, 04:52:51 AM »
I already did and you just ignored it.

Like I said, go get a picture of the moon, put it on the roof (or floor), and look at it from one side, then move to the other side and look at it.
Does it look upside down?
Call that an explanation!
Yes, and a pretty simple one.
It explains why the moon appears to be upside down.
When you look at something from the other side, it appears upside down.

And that means the moon appearing upside down from the southern hemisphere is not an argument for a RE.

Your pasting pictures is a pretty weak attempt even for you.
It was just to keep it simple enough for you to understand.

If you think that explanation explains what is observed then more fool you. In reality it goes nowhere near explaining the facts of the matter.
If you actually believe in your explanation then again more fool you.
Possibly its best you stick to arguing about looking through tubes.

if you had the time or inclination, you could pick a line of longitude like the prime meridian, and take 3 images one from London, the other from Western African at the equator and the third from Antartica, assuming the guards let you in. You could then check how your limp theory would stand up. How could explain how the waxing moon forms a 'D' in the North, a cute smily 'U' shape on the equator, and a 'C' in the Southern regions. If you were to take hundreds of images every few miles along a line of longitude then the rotation of the images produced could only be explained by the observer moving along a line of longitude on a spherical body not by pasted pictures.
Just like Sceptimatic won't see reason, neither will you.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

« Reply #3094 on: January 18, 2021, 04:59:16 AM »
YOU DON'T SEE IN 1D.

Only if your tube gives you laser-like MagicTunnel Vision.

If instead, looking through a tube gives an angular field of view, then someone could certainly see a downward gradient from a leveled tube provided the slope is sufficiently long and angle of the slope is less than 1/2 of the total angular field of view.

Its okay if you do not understand this, but just know that the objection really has nothing to do with the shape of the earth and collective knowledge of it, but more about whether a kitchen roll tube acts as a MagicTunnel Vision device.

I think you know it doesn't, which is why you cant answer any of the questions about it, or demonstrate it any way. 

But if you need it for your worldview for some reason (which is strange as it would actually logically preclude your imagined world), feel free to tell yourself over and over and over that this is the way it is.   Maybe you will be able to convince yourself even if you can never get a single person to agree.

Good luck!

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3095 on: January 18, 2021, 05:16:48 AM »

To see it you would need to angle the tube towards the ground. It's pretty simple to test and I have done it for myself. You have not.

JJA likely has but won't admit he's wrong, like you and others like you.

Again, you can't seem to do anything but call me a liar and claim you can't see the ground through a level tube.

So you yet again insist you have performed this experiment. Where are your pictures? What's your setup look like? Why are you so afraid to show your evidence? What's wrong with it?

Your experiment must have been a massive failure if you're too scared to show us all the details and photos.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3096 on: January 18, 2021, 05:23:25 AM »
Never in the history of mankind, has a toilet roll tube garnered so much attention!

JJA, you know what Sceptimatic's experiment is meant to prove, so adjust the damn experiment! Move your pupil down to the edge of the bottom of the tube. Is it that difficult???????????????????

The only thing I see proven with this trick, is a flat earther has made globe earthers look like imbeciles, and perhaps he has never actually even performed it himself. If he had, and was on the level, he would concur you can see the ground, looking through a level toilet roll through one end with your pupil centralized.

How's your bidet, Sceptimatic?

Ok, with the adjustment, you can only see sky through the tube, no ground, as predicted for a globe earth. Perfect. Move on.

It's cold and unpleasant out today.  Ask me tomorrow. :)

Maybe sceptimatic can do your modified version of his experiment since he seems incapable of doing his own.

« Reply #3097 on: January 18, 2021, 05:35:42 AM »

Logic will always tell you that a downward gradient with a level overlook, will absolutely not offer you a view of that gradient if you use a tube that creates a tunnel vision,

And logic would also state that if a tube doesn't create MagicTunnel vision, and instead creates an angular field of view that is dependent on the diameter and length of the tube, geometry will tell you precisely if the gradient will be visible or not.

If you ever want anyone to do anything other than laugh at your argument, you need to demonstrate this MagicTunnel vision that you think your tube creates.

(Of course, if you demonstrate it, it would then logically falsify your own imagined world, but that's another subject ...)

To see it you would need to angle the tube towards the ground. It's pretty simple to test and I have done it for myself. You have not.

Your diagram is stupid and has already been self admitted to not be to scale.
JackB has provided a more rwasonable diagram disproving your stupid premise.

Yes, Its pretty simple.
Yet you keep insisting on using a  NOT TO SCALE diagram.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3098 on: January 18, 2021, 07:44:09 AM »

Again, you can't seem to do anything but call me a liar and claim you can't see the ground through a level tube.

In the set up I gave out, you can't...but you play games. You're fooling yourself, not me.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3099 on: January 18, 2021, 07:46:03 AM »

Yes, Its pretty simple.
No need to use scale to understand a level tube on a downward gradient will not show that gradient beneath.
How in the hell you think it can, bemuses me.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3100 on: January 18, 2021, 08:34:23 AM »

In the set up I gave out, you can't...but you play games. You're fooling yourself, not me.

I did exactly what you asked, you added more conditions after my pictures proved you wrong and I played along until you started getting absurd with all your plumb bobs and pencils and extra tubes. Where are your pictures of your own experiment?  Why are you so afraid of posting them that you can't even talk about them? Everyone can clearly see what you are doing here, you are not fooling anyone but yourself. Maybe not even that...  ::)

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3101 on: January 18, 2021, 08:36:20 AM »
No need to use scale to understand a level tube on a downward gradient will not show that gradient beneath.

We can think that because everyone else can look through a tube and take pictures of our setup. Why can't you? What are you hiding? Where are the pictures of your own experiment? You are clearly very confused, why not look through a tube and show us?

« Reply #3102 on: January 18, 2021, 08:57:16 AM »

Yes, Its pretty simple.

it can, because i can draw triangles.
can you draw triangles?
try it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3103 on: January 18, 2021, 09:32:18 AM »

I did exactly what you asked, you added more conditions after my pictures proved you wrong and I played along until you started getting absurd with all your plumb bobs and pencils and extra tubes. Where are your pictures of your own experiment?  Why are you so afraid of posting them that you can't even talk about them? Everyone can clearly see what you are doing here, you are not fooling anyone but yourself. Maybe not even that...  ::)
There's nothing absurd that I asked for. I agree I did add extras but I had every intention of doing so because I just new what would happen.
I also knew you'd back out when I put a more difficult to con instruction out.

You know what's so silly?
You thinking I'd accept the silliness of you showing a level in a picture and a then showing a scope as if that was levelled on a downward gradient...especially of the magnitude you took it from.

And you wonder why I call you out.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3104 on: January 18, 2021, 09:34:44 AM »

We can think that because everyone else can look through a tube and take pictures of our setup. Why can't you? What are you hiding? Where are the pictures of your own experiment? You are clearly very confused, why not look through a tube and show us?
Genuine people can follow my instructions and come to the same conclusion that I did.
Let me tell you this. You're smug and desperate to back me into a corner but you didn't expect to be backed into the corner yourself and this is why you bottled the experiment.

If you knew I was wrong, you'd take great delight in showing your internet mates, never mind doing it for my benefit, alone.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3105 on: January 18, 2021, 09:40:18 AM »

Genuine people can follow my instructions and come to the same conclusion that I did.
Let me tell you this. You're smug and desperate to back me into a corner but you didn't expect to be backed into the corner yourself and this is why you bottled the experiment.

If you knew I was wrong, you'd take great delight in showing your internet mates, never mind doing it for my benefit, alone.

Where are the pictures of your own experiments? Why are you avoiding even talking about them? Aren't you proud of how impressive your setup is and all the wonderful pictures you took of it and through it?  What possible reason would you have to not show us?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3106 on: January 18, 2021, 09:44:17 AM »

There's nothing absurd that I asked for. I agree I did add extras but I had every intention of doing so because I just new what would happen.
I also knew you'd back out when I put a more difficult to con instruction out.

You know what's so silly?
You thinking I'd accept the silliness of you showing a level in a picture and a then showing a scope as if that was levelled on a downward gradient...especially of the magnitude you took it from.

And you wonder why I call you out.

Plumb bobs, multiple tubes, crosshairs, pencils... nothing at all absurd. ::)

Where are your pictures? Why won't you show us your setup?  Yes, it's silly thinking you would accept a picture of reality. It's clear you don't actually KNOW what a view through a tube looks like, if you think every picture of one is faked, or bottled, or however you want to put it.

Calling me out would be posting pictures of your experimental setup, not cowering in fear of even discussing them. What you are doing, is simple denial with no evidence, effort or work on your end and just calling me a liar.  Where is your experiment? I'm sure you have it all set to post, just can't find the time to press the button, is that it?

« Reply #3107 on: January 18, 2021, 10:09:37 AM »
Quote from: themightykabool
Quote from: sceppy

Yes, Its pretty simple.

can you draw triangles?
try it.

come on sceppy

can you draw triangles?

here
jackB has helped you out.

a brown field of view, of a purple downward gradient.
let me know what you're confused about and we can discuss.
if you continue to stone wall, well then it's obvious you're dodging.

« Reply #3108 on: January 18, 2021, 10:23:34 AM »

Yes, Its pretty simple.

why can't you draw it to scale?
is it possible for someone else to draw it to scale?

YOUR drawing, your self admitted not to scale drawing, the very same one you insist people won't see the ground because you are using this drawing.

[/url]

by my estimated your tower is approx 2,500km above the earth.
that would be ~0:48 in the video.

JackBlack

« Reply #3109 on: January 18, 2021, 12:28:51 PM »
YOU DON'T SEE IN 1D.
Instead you have an angular FOV.
There is a range of angles you can see.

Again, pretty simple, even a complete moron can understand it. So why do you pretend to have so much difficulty?

Again, this is easy to test for yourself, and has been shown to you.
The ruler does it the best, as it shows the further away something is, the more you see of it, and that you can see things above and below the tube.
Nobody but you is mentioning 1D.
Again, you are repeatedly showing 1D. It doesn't matter if you want to try to use a technicality to pretend you aren't saying it.
You are clearly showing a 1D view.

See this garbage of yours:

See how each view is just a single line?
That is you pretending people only see in a line.

If you truly accepted that we have a FOV, and wanted that to be a refutation of the RE, you would show an angular FOV, like this one:

That is why your diagram is garbage. WE DO NOT SEE IN 1D.
We have a FOV. This FOV allows us to see the hill.

And you still avoid the simple questions that show you are spouting pure BS:
Why should the RE magically have a blend from light to dark instead of a clear edge like every other ball?

What magic makes a tube magically make you see in parallel lines? And what magic stops the blue line from reaching the eye?

Do you accept that looking through a level tube will allow you to see an entire house if you stand far enough away?

You mean your ridiculously overcomplicated setup where you are merely trying to reduce the FOV, by making the eye 11 feet away from the end of the tube instead of ~2?

The only one playing games here is you. The only one trying to fool people here (and failing miserably) is you.

For a constant gradient, no. But you do still need to show an actual FOV, rather than just a pathetic line.

For a curve, scale is important.

Again, already explained.
WE DON'T SEE IN 1D.
Our "FOV" is not merely a line that goes straight out.
It is a cone, or in 2D, it is the region between 2 lines.
Again, so simple a moron can understand.

Once more, here it is for a constant downwards gradient:

The FOV is made from the 2 dark red/brown lines.
Notice how it is 2 lines, rather than just a singe level line?
Notice how 1 of the downwards gradients shown enters the FOV, meaning you can see it?

Can you show anything wrong with this diagram at all?

And remember, you claim to accept that you do have a FOV, so you can't object to that without showing yourself to be a liar yet again.

JackBlack

« Reply #3110 on: January 18, 2021, 12:34:39 PM »
If you think that explanation explains what is observed then more fool you. In reality it goes nowhere near explaining the facts of the matter.
It certainly explains what you claim the big issue is.

Please tell me just how it fails to explain why the moon appears upside down in the southern hemisphere.

No need to try to overcomplicate the argument. Stick to your initial pile of nonsense, and either defend it or admit it is wrong. (Especially given that I had already provided an argument using the moon which actually works).
All that had was that the moon appears upside down.

But even your latest pile of nonsense is overly simplistic.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #3111 on: January 18, 2021, 01:26:01 PM »
Since I can't go outside, lets take a crack at another claim.

The claim that you can't see the edge of a ball you are standing on.

I don't have a ball big enough to stand on (not here anyway but I've stood on one before) but I do have a globe and a camera I can put the lens up to.  So here is the view from on top of a globe.

That certainly looks like an edge to me. Or a horizon, as we like to call it on my planet. But I'm sure skeptimatic has a bunch of photos he took that he can use to show us what a real globe through a camera looks like.

( Huh, I need to dust more. )

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #3112 on: January 18, 2021, 02:51:28 PM »
It certainly explains what you claim the big issue is.

Please tell me just how it fails to explain why the moon appears upside down in the southern hemisphere.

No need to try to overcomplicate the argument. Stick to your initial pile of nonsense, and either defend it or admit it is wrong. (Especially given that I had already provided an argument using the moon which actually works).
All that had was that the moon appears upside down.

But even your latest pile of nonsense is overly simplistic.

You saying you have provided an explanation is false. Pasting pictures don’t cut the mustard. Nor would standing on ones head. Just repeating  your lame excuse  doesn’t change its lameness. It’s as simple as that. What exactly are you claiming is nonsense? The fact that the view of the inclination of the moon changes incrementally as one moves south along a line of latitude? Or what ? Please be specific. Or is that you just covering up for being wrong.... again!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 02:53:45 PM by Timeisup »
Really…..what a laugh!!!

JackBlack

« Reply #3113 on: January 18, 2021, 03:05:21 PM »
You saying you have provided an explanation is false.
No, it is quite true.
Again, the pasting pictures on your roof was just to make it simple enough for you to understand.

Do you not agree that things look different depending on what angle you view it from?

What exactly are you claiming is nonsense?
Your claim that the moon appearing upside down in the southern hemisphere is proof that Earth is round.

And yes, I know you didn't explicitly claim that, but it was clear that that was your implication.

« Reply #3114 on: January 18, 2021, 04:04:38 PM »
But in the northern hem the moon will be closer to south side, vice versa.
People will naturally anchor it to the "foundation" (lnot in the sceppy sense).

Hah

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3115 on: January 18, 2021, 09:58:16 PM »

As you stated, if you use a tube that creates a MagicTunnel vision, that would be true. 

It's not a magic tunnel vision, it is a tunnel vision.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3116 on: January 18, 2021, 10:01:16 PM »

Where are the pictures of your own experiments? Why are you avoiding even talking about them? Aren't you proud of how impressive your setup is and all the wonderful pictures you took of it and through it?  What possible reason would you have to not show us?
There's nothing complicated about the set up I've put forward. You managed it with what I mentioned. The only issue you had was not understanding what level set up means on a downward gradient...deliberately, of course.

Any honest normal thinking person can prove to themselves what I've put forward.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3117 on: January 18, 2021, 10:04:42 PM »
Plumb bobs, multiple tubes, crosshairs, pencils... nothing at all absurd. ::)
They're only absurd to people like you because they show you up.

Quote from: JJA

It's clear you don't actually KNOW what a view through a tube looks like
Yeah, ok.

Quote from: JJA

Calling me out would be posting pictures of your experimental setup, not cowering in fear of even discussing them. What you are doing, is simple denial with no evidence, effort or work on your end and just calling me a liar.  Where is your experiment? I'm sure you have it all set to post, just can't find the time to press the button, is that it?
Do the experiment and shut me up.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3118 on: January 18, 2021, 10:06:32 PM »

Yes, Its pretty simple.

can you draw triangles?
try it.

come on sceppy

can you draw triangles?

here
jackB has helped you out.

a brown field of view, of a purple downward gradient.
let me know what you're confused about and we can discuss.
if you continue to stone wall, well then it's obvious you're dodging.
You don't have a field of view like that through a tube, so why are you using it?
We aren't arguing naked eye or wide angled lenses, so what are you using this for?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3119 on: January 18, 2021, 10:09:19 PM »

Yes, Its pretty simple.

why can't you draw it to scale?
is it possible for someone else to draw it to scale?

YOUR drawing, your self admitted not to scale drawing, the very same one you insist people won't see the ground because you are using this drawing.

[/url]

by my estimated your tower is approx 2,500km above the earth.
that would be ~0:48 in the video.

Well, look at the base of the line and use that to see the very same thing I'm pointing out.
Would you like me to make the lines smaller so you can't see them?