What would change your mind?

• 5620 Replies
Re: What would change your mind?
« Reply #2670 on: January 05, 2021, 09:36:03 AM »
More complete dodging and avoidance to address anyhing.
A lot of hand waving with no point being made.
Make a point.
My points are made.

Ok
Indulge us and restate the point again.
It seems to have changed and become convoluted.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #2671 on: January 05, 2021, 09:37:19 AM »

Show me what I did wrong, or stop accusing me of trying to dupe you. All you are doing is personally attacking me with your accusations.
I've already explained what you did.
Don't waste your time pretending you didn't try to play games.

If you're not game playing then do the experiment set out.

If you explained it, please quote or point out where you showed exactly what I did to try and 'dupe you'.

I did your experiment, several times. I stopped following your requests for new conditions after you continued to claim I was faking things with no evidence.

As you are doing now.  If you can't show what I did to 'cheat' then you are just simply attacking me.
I'm not attacking you, I'm merely handing you back what you're giving out.
Let's see you put this set up together.
Let's see if you can do it legitimately.

See, you did it again. You are implying I took my photos illegitimately somehow.

That's a baseless attack, as you are not providing any reasons or evidence that I did anything wrong.

So I ask again, how am I cheating, or trying to dupe you, or acting illegitimately?

Please answer this time. Give me a reason and your evidence for it that my photos are not exactly as portrayed.
Take a look at your picture and see the gradient.
No way in hell could you see down that gradient if you have the tube, level.
Don't even bother trying to say you can. You simply can't..... this is why you won't do the other set up because you can't figure a way how to dupe it.
Yeah I'm calling you out...and for good reason.

What's your evidence? So far it's just your own indoctrination saying something can't be based upon your opinion. Not based upon evidence. And you consider yourself a truth seeker? What's fake about this image:

Why don't you show us how it can't be done? Rather than just baselessly accuse someone of lying? JJA went out and did the experiment and all you have is to say is that it's a fake? That's a high charge that you should have the decency to back up.

- You started out with a kitchen roll tube.
- Then one with crosshairs

Experiment done. You won't accept the results because of your own indoctrination.

- Then it's two tubes
- Now it's two tubes with a plumb bob

You won't stop no matter what someone does. If it keeps showing you are wrong, you'll just add more stuff. Even though nothing done by anyone, including yourself, shows you are right. It's really amazing how you are way more indoctrinated into a belief system than anyone else here.

You really have crossed over the line here. Is everyone who demonstrates that you may not be correct about something immediately a liar and a cheat? And you have the gall to refer to yourself as a "Flat Earth Scientist"?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2672 on: January 05, 2021, 09:44:24 AM »

I do understand the angle. It's call the "dip". Which has already been explained and demonstrated to you. Now for the fourth time, you're still not answering the question...

So are you saying that:
- It's a fake document
- Even though dip was observed and logged, it was never used b/c it doesn't exist and therefore ignored
- The dip was used in navigation, but even though it doesn't exist, seafarers needlessly used it and still got safely to where they wanted to go

Any? All of the above?

Why won't you just answer?
How can I answer something which is nonsensical?
A dip?

You're talking about your globe. What the hell is a dip on your globe?
An angled view from a crows nest makes sense to see farther.
Using the moving lights under the dome and correlating them with positions on the water, etc, make sense.

None of it makes any sense when you relate it to a globe.
Start applying some logic to it. Think for yourself...you are allowed to, you know.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2673 on: January 05, 2021, 09:46:52 AM »

Sceptimatic, this is your belief on a golden platter. (The horizon is a theoretical line dependent on the viewer's eyeline.)

What it also means is the lines of any level surface will converge on the theoretical horizon line. Yes?

Study the drawings. This is what you have been prattling on about.

Umm, you may not believe earth is a globe, but according to your avatar, it's a section of a ball? It's curved nevertheless, so why are you pushing your toilet roll experiment which supposedly proves there is no curvature?
I'm not sure what you think your pictures show.
And where is the section of a ball?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2674 on: January 05, 2021, 09:47:47 AM »
Make a point.
My points are made.

Ok
Nothing's changed from my side.
You're the one that's trying to change things.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2675 on: January 05, 2021, 09:50:51 AM »

What's your evidence? So far it's just your own indoctrination saying something can't be based upon your opinion. Not based upon evidence. And you consider yourself a truth seeker? What's fake about this image:

Why don't you show us how it can't be done? Rather than just baselessly accuse someone of lying? JJA went out and did the experiment and all you have is to say is that it's a fake? That's a high charge that you should have the decency to back up.

Experiment done. You won't accept the results because of your own indoctrination.

- Then it's two tubes

You won't stop no matter what someone does. If it keeps showing you are wrong, you'll just add more stuff. Even though nothing done by anyone, including yourself, shows you are right. It's really amazing how you are way more indoctrinated into a belief system than anyone else here.

You really have crossed over the line here. Is everyone who demonstrates that you may not be correct about something immediately a liar and a cheat? And you have the gall to refer to yourself as a "Flat Earth Scientist"?
I know what I know.
You people are trying to skew the experiments by using all kinds of shenanigans.
I'm ensuring there can be no cheating and you lot have bottled it, which I suspected would happen.

If you don't think you've bottled it then follow the instructions and make it impossible for me to argue your results.

« Reply #2676 on: January 05, 2021, 09:52:12 AM »
Make a point.
My points are made.

Ok

Wow.
You couldve restated it by now.
You must not know.
keep dodging a most simple and basic of questions.
So pathetic.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2677 on: January 05, 2021, 09:53:51 AM »
Make a point.
My points are made.

Ok

Wow.
You must not know.
So pathetic.
I'm not playing your silly game of " oh I've forgot...what was it again?" Nonsense.

You know what's set out so why don't you refute it.

« Reply #2678 on: January 05, 2021, 09:54:27 AM »

Using the moving lights under the dome and correlating them with positions on the water, etc, make sense.

Start applying some logic to it. Think for yourself...you are allowed to, you know.

What?
What methodology do you propose one to use to correlate the reflected lights?
You cant even the articulate a tube experiment.

« Reply #2679 on: January 05, 2021, 09:58:59 AM »
Make a point.
My points are made.

Ok

Wow.
You must not know.
So pathetic.
I'm not playing your silly game of " oh I've forgot...what was it again?" Nonsense.

The point was either you can see 1inch or you cant see the ground.
Or is it something else?

Because 1. 1inch disproven by jja regardless of setup
2.  You can clearly see the ground and the tube is mostly level.
Being perfectly level wont change the view by any relevant means.

And now youve added a pointless 2nd tube, cross hairs, and a vertical plumb line.
All to do what?

What was the point?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2680 on: January 05, 2021, 09:59:31 AM »

What?
What methodology do you propose one to use to correlate the reflected lights?
You cant even the articulate a tube experiment.
The tube experiment is there for all to see.
The mere fact that it's been bottled and has come to this tit for tat arguments, tells me a lot about you people. Especially you. Your modus operandi is to play games and have digs, which is fine by me but does you no favours.

You can see how frustrated you get and you actually create your own frustration amid your game playing, which I find very odd and amusing.

Put some effort in.

« Reply #2681 on: January 05, 2021, 10:02:12 AM »

- Then it's two tubes

I know what I know.
You people are trying to skew the experiments by using all kinds of shenanigans.
I'm ensuring there can be no cheating and you lot have bottled it, which I suspected would happen.

If you don't think you've bottled it then follow the instructions and make it impossible for me to argue your results.

The only way for you to ensure it is shenanigna proof is for you to do it yourself.
So get on it you pathetic dodging mf.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2682 on: January 05, 2021, 10:02:56 AM »

The point was either you can see 1inch or you cant see the ground.
Or is it something else?

Because 1. 1inch disproven by jja regardless of setup
2.  You can clearly see the ground and the tube is mostly level.
Being perfectly level wont change the view by any relevant means.

And now youve added a pointless 2nd tube, cross hairs, and a vertical plumb line.
All to do what?

What was the point?
JJA hasn't proved anything other than being unable to follow instruction without trying to dupe.

You know as well as anyone that, if his tube was levelled on that gradient, it would not be looking down it to the bottom.
He won't do the other experiment because he can't figure a way how to set it up to play the little shenanigans again.

It's a bit sad...but, there it is.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2683 on: January 05, 2021, 10:03:33 AM »

- Then it's two tubes

I know what I know.

The only way for you to ensure it is shenanigna proof is for you to do it yourself.
So get on it you pathetic dodging mf.
I know it so I'm comfortable with what I know.

rvlvr

« Reply #2684 on: January 05, 2021, 10:08:05 AM »
I know it so I'm comfortable with what I know.
Yeah, rrright. I doubt you are winning many over. But then again that is not your goal, as you are content being the only one in the know.

« Reply #2685 on: January 05, 2021, 10:16:12 AM »
Unless sceppy reveals any more insight, can we call this one?

10pg now of him dodging all questions and waving away everything else.
Garbage

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #2686 on: January 05, 2021, 10:37:11 AM »

Show me what I did wrong, or stop accusing me of trying to dupe you. All you are doing is personally attacking me with your accusations.
Don't waste your time pretending you didn't try to play games.

If you explained it, please quote or point out where you showed exactly what I did to try and 'dupe you'.

I did your experiment, several times. I stopped following your requests for new conditions after you continued to claim I was faking things with no evidence.

As you are doing now.  If you can't show what I did to 'cheat' then you are just simply attacking me.
Let's see you put this set up together.
Let's see if you can do it legitimately.

See, you did it again. You are implying I took my photos illegitimately somehow.

That's a baseless attack, as you are not providing any reasons or evidence that I did anything wrong.

So I ask again, how am I cheating, or trying to dupe you, or acting illegitimately?

Please answer this time. Give me a reason and your evidence for it that my photos are not exactly as portrayed.
Take a look at your picture and see the gradient.
Don't even bother trying to say you can. You simply can't..... this is why you won't do the other set up because you can't figure a way how to dupe it.

So... your reason for saying my picture is fake is you don't believe the results?  Lets take a moment to process this.

You simply believe that my results are IMPOSSIBLE... so why should I bother doing any more experiments since you are very clearly saying you will just outright reject them.

This bears repeating. You reason for dismissing my results is that they conflict with your BELIEFS so must be fake. You are not operating from a place of reason here, you are outright admitting you will just reject any facts if they don't fir your ideas.

And you wonder why people stop jumping through hoops to try and show you how reality works.

You also still haven't explained how I "duped it".  What exactly am I doing to fake things?  You're claiming the tube isn't level?  Prove it. 

You literally can NOT have ever done this experiment if you think what I am showing isn't reality. It is. Go outside, take 5 minutes and do it yourself.

If you can't post your own version and show where I am trying to "dupe you", stop accusing me of lying.

« Reply #2687 on: January 05, 2021, 11:13:37 AM »

This bears repeating. You reason for dismissing my results is that they conflict with your BELIEFS so must be fake. You are not operating from a place of reason here, you are outright admitting you will just reject any facts if they don't fir your ideas.

Are you surprised?

« Reply #2688 on: January 05, 2021, 12:14:27 PM »
Just out of interest Scepti... since in your world the Sun and Moon are just holographic reflections with therefore no mass of their own,  what drives the weather and controls the tides?

JackBlack

« Reply #2689 on: January 05, 2021, 12:57:48 PM »
Flooded?
Yes, flooded. Remember this image I provided quite some time ago for one hypothetical water level:

Any chance of making this image fit the forum?
Yes. It automatically fits as it has a default width of 100%.
Thus it automatically scales with your screen.
Now quit with the BS distraction and actually address the issue.
It doesn't matter where you place your flat water level, you CANNOT get the regions of Earth covered in water and not covered in water to match reality.

Your model predicts a massive annular ocean separating the north from the far south
That simply doesn't match reality at all.

And again, either clearly explain what is wrong with my explanation, or admit that your strawman in no way refutes the RE:
Once more, Earth is not some small ball sitting on top of a much larger ball.
It is a massive ball in free fall outside the Roche limit of any more massive object.

If it is in free fall and inside the Roche limit of a much more massive object then, at the surface of the ball, the tidal acceleration towards that much more massive object (the gravitational acceleration towards the object at the surface of the ball, minus the gravitational attraction at the centre of mass of the ball) is larger than the gravitational attraction to the ball, and thus the water will pull away from the ball.

If it is not in free fall, then instead of dealing with the tidal force, you need to deal with the entire gravitational attraction, and if the much more massive object is close enough, then the gravitational attraction to it is greater than the gravitational attraction to the ball and again the water will pull away from the ball towards the much more massive object.

And again, either answer the question (and thus eventually admit the RE does have a horizon), or admit the RE does have a horizon:
You start looking straight down towards Earth and slowly lift your head up until you are looking straight up at the sky.
What do you see between the land/sea of Earth and the sky?
How does it visually transition?

Your continued deflection/avoidance of these simple issues show you know you are spouting BS.
Any chance of making it fit in the post?

Any chance of being honest for once?

Again, it does automatically.
There is no need for me to do anything to "make it fit"
If you need more detail, this site has a CSS.
In this css you will find that it specifies all elements of the type "img" (i.e. image elements) have a property called "max-width" set to 100%
This means that images will be no more than 100% wide, unless you specifically do something to make it larger which overrides this CSS rule.

For example, when I make the browser as thin as I can using chrome, this is what it looks like:

Now stop with the blatant lies and deal with the massive issues in them.
Deal with the fact that your fantasy Earth has no chance of matching reality with flat water.
Deal with the fact that your attempt to refute the RE with water on a ball on a ball, in no way refutes the RE and instead is a pathetic strawman.
Deal with the simple question, which when answered honestly will show that the RE does have a horizon.

No, you didn't. You blatantly lied about him to dismiss the evidence which shows you are wrong.

So you can then dismiss that as a con-job as well and demand more pathetic BS?

He is giving evidence which shows you are wrong.
You are just insulting him and dismissing his evidence as faking. Giving back what he gave out would be you going and taking your own picture showing how we magically can't see the ground through a level tube, and how we magically only see 1 inch of any distant object.

You have no justification for why you claim he is being dishonest, other than the fact that it shows you are wrong.
That is attacking him.

You can see farther because you are looking through less dense atmosphere on that angle.
The change in density is insignificant for such a small change in elevation and wouldn't change how far you can see.
Also note that is isn't just a case of seeing further, but you also see more of objects that are partially obscured by the RE.

It's the very reason why crows nests and observation towers are used and also, lighthouses.
No, the reason is the curvature of Earth.

Ask your friend, silhouette, he wanted stuff adding in.
Likely so you then don't latter add in more BS you need to just dismiss whatever is provided.

Again, that is your blatant lie that he refuted.
You are dismissing him because he showed you are wrong.

Again, simple logic shows you can.
Remember this:

The FOV and gradient determine if it can be seen.
If the gradient is a curve instead, the height also plays a role.

And your only "objection" is to repeatedly assert the same pathetic lie.

No, you are insulting and attacking him for a horrible reason, because he showed you were wrong.

JackBlack

« Reply #2690 on: January 05, 2021, 01:07:58 PM »
A dip?
That was already explained to you. It isn't nonsense at all.
You are just dismissing it as such to ignore reality.

Once more, it is the dip is the angle from eye-level, to the horizon, which is observed to be below eye level.

Does that image make it clear?
The black line is the round Earth that you hate so much.
The red line is the observer.
The grey line is eye-level.
The straight purple line is the line of sight to the edge of the visible region of Earth (the horizon), i.e. the line of sight tangent to Earth.
The angle between the grey and straight purple line (as indicated by the curved purple line) is the dip.

Just what is so difficult to understand?

I know, you reject the fact that dip exists, but that doesn't make it nonsense, it just means you are rejecting reality.
You cannot use your rejection of reality to try to justify your rejection of reality.

No, you aren't.
You are just dismissing evidence which shows you are wrong and adding in a needless copmlication.
Again, just how do 2 tubes help?
If someone was conning you and pointing the tube down, what stops them doing this:

Having 2 tubes in no way helps to establish that the tubes are level.
All it does it make the experiment harder and waste more time of those people who are clearly showing you are wrong.

Perhaps because you refuse to provide such instructions, likely because you know that following the instructions honestly will show you to be wrong and thus you always want a way out to dismiss reality to continue pretending your fantasy is correct.

Why don't YOU follow the instructions to make it impossible for you to argue your results?

It has been refuted, you just ignore the refutation.

The mere fact that it's been bottled and has come to this tit for tat arguments
But it hasn't.
Tit for tat would require you to provide evidence to counter the evidence that is provided, rather than just dismiss the evidence as a con-job.
Tit for tat would require you to have actually engaged with the rational arguments and simple questions posted, rather than just ignore or dismiss them.

So no, it isn't tit-for-tat.
Instead it is we have provided with plenty of evidence and logical arguments clearly showing that you are wrong; and in response you just bury your head in the sand and insult us.

Put some effort in.
Follow your own advice. Put some effort in. Do the experiment yourself and post your result.
And deal with the refutations of your nonsense, rather than continually ignore it or come up with pathetic excuses to dismiss it.

« Reply #2691 on: January 05, 2021, 01:18:13 PM »

Sceptimatic, this is your belief on a golden platter. (The horizon is a theoretical line dependent on the viewer's eyeline.)

What it also means is the lines of any level surface will converge on the theoretical horizon line. Yes?

Umm, you may not believe earth is a globe, but according to your avatar, it's a section of a ball? It's curved nevertheless, so why are you pushing your toilet roll experiment which supposedly proves there is no curvature?

These pictures show what you have been saying all along. Don't you recognise your favourite theory? "The horizon always rises to eye level." They show, that on any level surface, all lines must converge with the theoretical horizon line.

So, here is your avatar, Sceptimatic, uncropped: (The angels are a nice touch, I don't know why you cropped them out.)

Here is your avatar up close, showing very distinctive curvature similar to the top 3rd of a ball:

Here is a picture, I think much more closely aligned to your cell earth model:

« Reply #2692 on: January 05, 2021, 01:29:19 PM »
I've already told you, so either do it or don't.
'Honesty', I've got that much so far.  You posted two different diagrams, so I'll just pick a grade then.  Glad that's settled.
Now then, what do you want me to use to level the tubes?
A plumb bob with a hanging pencil or straight stick with an equal identical mass on each end that balances as a horizontal against the vertical under the, plumb bob.

Place this at the back of the first tube (nearest you), about 2 feet or so.
Take your picture via this set up and towards the crosshairs on both tubes, lining them all up.

This way you get to see the true crosshair to the true level of both tube crosshairs.
Here's the  diagram, for clarity.
The little man in the diagram is wearing a high viz vest, hard hat and boots. It makes him look a bit more professional but you are not under any obligation to follow suit, if you don't want to.
You can do this experiment in a G-string or anorak...etc, if you feel like it.  ;)

And that's all of it correct?  A crosshair along the line of sight that shows level left to right in my field of view.  How exactly does this confirm the entire line of sight from my camera/eye to the crosshair at the end of the tube as being level?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2693 on: January 05, 2021, 09:08:56 PM »
Unless sceppy reveals any more insight, can we call this one?

10pg now of him dodging all questions and waving away everything else.
Garbage
Yeah, call it off. Tell your team it's a no go, captain.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2694 on: January 05, 2021, 09:11:28 PM »

So... your reason for saying my picture is fake is you don't believe the results?  Lets take a moment to process this.

You simply believe that my results are IMPOSSIBLE... so why should I bother doing any more experiments since you are very clearly saying you will just outright reject them.

And you wonder why people stop jumping through hoops to try and show you how reality works.

You also still haven't explained how I "duped it".  What exactly am I doing to fake things?  You're claiming the tube isn't level?  Prove it. 

You literally can NOT have ever done this experiment if you think what I am showing isn't reality. It is. Go outside, take 5 minutes and do it yourself.

If you can't post your own version and show where I am trying to "dupe you", stop accusing me of lying.
Give yourself a few seconds to process what I've said.
You do not get to set up a tube....LEVEL on a gradient like you show and be able to see down it as if you've somehow tilted your tube to look down that gradient.

Wise up for crying out loud.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2695 on: January 05, 2021, 09:16:32 PM »
Just out of interest Scepti... since in your world the Sun and Moon are just holographic reflections with therefore no mass of their own,  what drives the weather and controls the tides?
The vortex and pressures created from the energy of the central sun that is taking the feed.

The central vortex is strong but the wider effects from it and dependent on the reflective properties around the sort of circle, create their own sort of spiralling winds which are dependent on those high and low pressures created.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2696 on: January 05, 2021, 09:18:29 PM »

No, you are insulting and attacking him for a horrible reason, because he showed you were wrong.
Don't be a hypocrite.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2697 on: January 05, 2021, 09:22:23 PM »
A dip?
That was already explained to you. It isn't nonsense at all.
You are just dismissing it as such to ignore reality.

Once more, it is the dip is the angle from eye-level, to the horizon, which is observed to be below eye level.

Does that image make it clear?

Just what is so difficult to understand?

It's not difficult to understand, it just doesn't make any sense because there's no level sight, meaning there is an angled view, no matter which way you dress it up.
And also there's not a hope in hell that you would be angling a view and skimming the edge of a supposed globe to get your horizon, so the explanation is bogus.

The dip is fictional. It's simply an angle from whichever elevated vantage point is taken.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2698 on: January 05, 2021, 09:25:10 PM »

These pictures show what you have been saying all along. Don't you recognise your favourite theory? "The horizon always rises to eye level." They show, that on any level surface, all lines must converge with the theoretical horizon line.

So, here is your avatar, Sceptimatic, uncropped: (The angels are a nice touch, I don't know why you cropped them out.)

Here is your avatar up close, showing very distinctive curvature similar to the top 3rd of a ball:

Here is a picture, I think much more closely aligned to your cell earth model:

The horison does not always rise to eye level. It is always at eye level.
No rising or falling. It is exactly at eye level.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2699 on: January 05, 2021, 09:29:07 PM »
I've already told you, so either do it or don't.
'Honesty', I've got that much so far.  You posted two different diagrams, so I'll just pick a grade then.  Glad that's settled.
Now then, what do you want me to use to level the tubes?
A plumb bob with a hanging pencil or straight stick with an equal identical mass on each end that balances as a horizontal against the vertical under the, plumb bob.

Place this at the back of the first tube (nearest you), about 2 feet or so.
Take your picture via this set up and towards the crosshairs on both tubes, lining them all up.

This way you get to see the true crosshair to the true level of both tube crosshairs.
Here's the  diagram, for clarity.
The little man in the diagram is wearing a high viz vest, hard hat and boots. It makes him look a bit more professional but you are not under any obligation to follow suit, if you don't want to.
You can do this experiment in a G-string or anorak...etc, if you feel like it.  ;)

And that's all of it correct?  A crosshair along the line of sight that shows level left to right in my field of view.  How exactly does this confirm the entire line of sight from my camera/eye to the crosshair at the end of the tube as being level?
There's the diagram. If you want to follow it then do so.