What would change your mind?

• 5620 Replies
Re: What would change your mind?
« Reply #2580 on: January 04, 2021, 02:52:19 AM »
https://mctoon.net/horizon-does-not-rise-to-eye-level/

The claim that the horizon always rises to eye level is very common and quite old.  One early claims are from Samuel Rowbotham in his book “Earth not a Globe” from 1881.  From page 172: “…it is shown that the surface of the sea appears to rise up to the level or altitude of the eye…”  This is also the topic of his experiment 15 in the book.  Sadly this experiment is horribly conceived and falls far short of an actual scientific experiment.

Is this what you base your assertion on, sceptimatic?

From Quora:

Samuel Rowbotham (aka “Parallax”) was the L Ron Hubbard of flat earthery, the inventor of ‘zeteticism’, and author of “Zetetic Astronomy: Earth not a Globe.” Nearly all flerf pseudo-science originates there - nothing much has been added in the 150-odd years since. Victorian morons were fantastically well-educated compared to modern internet morons, and Rowbotham had a grasp of astronomy and trigonometry and was able to produce spurious calculations and proofs that modern flerfers can only gaze at in wonder.

Not so sure of the "well-educated", but would still agree what they did was better than YouTube research.
The horizon does not rise to eye level. It is always at eye level.

Ffs
You already admitted that me at 6ft, my wheel chair grandfather at 4ft and some radom guy on a mountain at 1000ft will all have diffrent "eye level".
So either the flat earth horizon is moving, or "rises to eye level" is not a thing.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 02:56:43 AM by Themightykabool »

« Reply #2581 on: January 04, 2021, 03:15:17 AM »
The level of stupid is amazing.

Where is the water falling to?
Is it falling towards the extremely massive ball that everyone is standing on?

You simply cannot reason with anyone who is so staunchly set on and locked onto to a single and their own belief that they refuse to accept or even consider any other.

The more you try to reason with or argue against those sort of people the more they tighten their grip on their insistence that they are right and no one else has a clue what they are talking about.   Even when the evidence is right there staring them in the face.

« Reply #2582 on: January 04, 2021, 04:01:38 AM »
But to me that does not appear to be the case.
It is the case, you just deny it because it doesn't fit the narrative.
It can not be anything other than eye level.
The reason is convergence back to the eye. To a point...centralised.

It's impossible to be anything other.

However, this would not be the case if you were on a globe, because you have no horizon.....just sky.

So, this is what you believe.......

I take it, Sceptimatic, you also believe this.......

Even though in your avatar depiction of Earth, Earth isn't flat - it's curved? Please explain?

(This might explain the noticeable absence of actual flat earthers who have helped you out in this thread? You're not a flat earther at all - you're a globe earth denier, and gold panning earth believer)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 04:34:21 AM by Smoke Machine »

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #2583 on: January 04, 2021, 05:40:12 AM »
As for the gradient. Something similar to the one JJA was using.
I can't find a specific angle stated.  Should I just use 7.98 inches per mile squared?

At best it'll show JJA up  and even better, it will show that you do not bring a downward gradient back into view from a levelled point.
Are you saying the horizon would not be at eye level on a globe?
You saw JJA's photos, so what's your issue?

You saw them too, and haven't been able to identify any flaw in them other than baseless claims that they are somehow faked. Where is your evidence that they are not exactly what they appear to be?

Where are your counterexample photos?
I think any honest person can see the dpe.
There's no flaw in them because you set them up for your own ends, not mine.

This is why you won't go further, because you were backed into a corner and didn't expect it.

That's not an answer.  How exactly did I dupe you?

Do you have any evidence, any specific reason for your claim?

Why won't you perform and post your own experiment?

« Reply #2584 on: January 04, 2021, 06:03:54 AM »
How to experiment:
Step 1: Pose a Testable Question. ...
Step 2: Research the Topic. ...
Step 3: State a Hypothesis. ...
Step 4: Design Your Experiment. ...
Step 5: Perform the Experiment. ...
Step 6: Collect Data. ...
Step 7: Conclusions.

So far sceppy has completed half of 1, none of 2, i think hes made a 3 (you only see 1inch?), left 4 to us to interperation, refuses to 5, and skipped right to 7 all on his own.

rvlvr

« Reply #2585 on: January 04, 2021, 06:04:20 AM »
Everyone, everywhere, ever tried the spirit level thing is in on the scam.

It is scary world one really thinks like that.

« Reply #2586 on: January 04, 2021, 07:02:24 AM »
No
We were all duped apparently
Only sceppy is the smartest and he selfishly refuses to teach us

rvlvr

« Reply #2587 on: January 04, 2021, 08:10:19 AM »
It is tragic, I know :(

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2588 on: January 04, 2021, 08:53:31 AM »

However, this would not be the case if you were on a globe, because you have no horizon.....just sky.

You say it's "impossible", but this surveyor went into great detail as part of his experiment that clearly shows your impossible is possible. And it has nothing to do with a "narrative" - It's just good old fashioned experimentation/demonstration/observation using extremely accurate and tested surveying equipment:

He's even got the cross hairs you so relish (from the above video):

You still haven't learned, have you?
Trying the very same as you did earlier.
Hmmmm.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2589 on: January 04, 2021, 08:55:50 AM »

Is your issue that its not an actual line?
Drawing a line in the sand?
It's not an issue, to me. The issue is you and your like minded thinkers.
I've said multiple times the line is theoretical.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2590 on: January 04, 2021, 08:57:55 AM »

Why do you refuse to teach us right?
If we keep duping ourselfs and setting it up incorrectly?

Clear all doubt
Show us the way
Help yourselves. I've explained plenty and you know it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2591 on: January 04, 2021, 08:59:32 AM »

So it is wild speculation for water to fall off a ball?

No. It's a reality.

I'm just showing you how simplistic it is to see how water cannot stay on a ball.
You go along with invented magic of this gravity to tell me it does, without telling me how and why.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #2592 on: January 04, 2021, 09:01:04 AM »

You say it's "impossible", but this surveyor went into great detail as part of his experiment that clearly shows your impossible is possible. And it has nothing to do with a "narrative" - It's just good old fashioned experimentation/demonstration/observation using extremely accurate and tested surveying equipment:

Hmmmm.

I'm not following. Trying the same what? What is the issue you have with this demonstration? He even has the Total Station cross hairs for you. Yeah!

Is your schtick here still, "It's a dupe, fake..." If so, talk about being bullied and constrained by a narrative. Just so happens to be a narrative of one, your own. Is everything fake if it doesn't conform to your personal narrative?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2593 on: January 04, 2021, 09:01:15 AM »

The claim that the horizon always rises to eye level is very common and quite old.  One early claims are from Samuel Rowbotham in his book “Earth not a Globe” from 1881.  From page 172: “…it is shown that the surface of the sea appears to rise up to the level or altitude of the eye…”  This is also the topic of his experiment 15 in the book.  Sadly this experiment is horribly conceived and falls far short of an actual scientific experiment.

From Quora:

Samuel Rowbotham (aka “Parallax”) was the L Ron Hubbard of flat earthery, the inventor of ‘zeteticism’, and author of “Zetetic Astronomy: Earth not a Globe.” Nearly all flerf pseudo-science originates there - nothing much has been added in the 150-odd years since. Victorian morons were fantastically well-educated compared to modern internet morons, and Rowbotham had a grasp of astronomy and trigonometry and was able to produce spurious calculations and proofs that modern flerfers can only gaze at in wonder.

Not so sure of the "well-educated", but would still agree what they did was better than YouTube research.

Ffs
You already admitted that me at 6ft, my wheel chair grandfather at 4ft and some radom guy on a mountain at 1000ft will all have diffrent "eye level".
So either the flat earth horizon is moving, or "rises to eye level" is not a thing.
A different eye level at for different people at different standpoints.
Nothing rises to any of those eye levels and nor does it dip. It is eye level at all times.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2594 on: January 04, 2021, 09:02:29 AM »

You simply cannot reason with anyone who is so staunchly set on and locked onto to a single and their own belief that they refuse to accept or even consider any other.

The more you try to reason with or argue against those sort of people the more they tighten their grip on their insistence that they are right and no one else has a clue what they are talking about.   Even when the evidence is right there staring them in the face.
There is no evidence...at all. The so called evidence is in your mind directly from being told.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #2595 on: January 04, 2021, 09:44:59 AM »

There is no evidence...at all. The so called evidence is in your mind directly from being told.

Evidence for most things are conveyed rather than personally experienced. There would be no transfer or gain in knowledge without it.

Take for instance that for 100's of years Horizon below eye level (or dip) has been used in celestial navigation ephemeris. Sailors relied on it, for among other things, not only from getting from A to B but also doing so amid safe passage. Aka, lives depended on it.

Tables requisite to be used with the astronomical and nautical ephemeris, 1766. (NAO-T-1767)
https://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/PR-NAO-T-01767/20

Dip wasn't included just for shits and giggles, it was a crucial aspect of accurate navigation. So if you have a problem with the presence of such, take it up with the centuries of seafarers who relied on it.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you have personally determined that such a thing is impossible. How did you do that and where's your evidence for it?

« Reply #2596 on: January 04, 2021, 10:18:02 AM »

No. It's a reality.

I'm just showing you how simplistic it is to see how water cannot stay on a ball.
You go along with invented magic of this gravity to tell me it does, without telling me how and why.

the ball and the water in the video are on the ground in what i assume to be taken on earth.
earth being the thing that is very large and all things in the relative vicinity generally fall towards.
"towards" being "down" as already described to you.

may be you can try saying this out loud, slowly, so you understand.

using the "duped" math, my quick math i got 316SS at 7.87g/cm^3, 50cm diam = 514kg of ball.
using the F=GMm/r^2 = 6.67x10^-11x514xwater/0.25^2 = the weight of water x 0.000,000,5

wow
there's soooo much gravity created by that ball!
i'm amazed everyone's not flying towards it and getting stuck.

so far the math shows that your theory is non relevant and that oceans in the south pole would NOT start flying upwards.
and this math is matched with observed reality in that water in the south pole doesn't start falling off ("up") the earth.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 10:42:06 AM by Themightykabool »

« Reply #2597 on: January 04, 2021, 10:43:14 AM »

From Quora:

Ffs
Nothing rises to any of those eye levels and nor does it dip. It is eye level at all times.

wowee..

if your EYE is allowed to rise and lower, why is it that EYE LEVEL isn't?

« Reply #2598 on: January 04, 2021, 10:44:46 AM »

right
theoretical as in not a physical line.
i see a very clear distinct of the water line and the sky.
do you not see this theoretical line?

« Reply #2599 on: January 04, 2021, 11:24:28 AM »
Sceptimatic, your avatar is not a flat earth model.

It has a distinctive curve just like the globe, I see going on for North America on your avatar. By your own reasoning, Australia on your avatar should be at the bottom of the sea bed, along with most of South America and Africa, with the rest of the sea water defying every other logical natural law, and sticking to the sides of a bowl. Does water in your house, magically pool on your walls, and sit there, does it?

So, why are you carrying on about there being no curvature, when your own chosen model by Orlando Ferguson - a businessman from South Dakota, has the loopiest curvature anybody could possibly come up with? Seriously, the Angels standing on the four corners of Orlando's model (which you cropped out) makes more sense than the rest of it.

Now, address those last two images I posted about the horizon.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 11:46:33 AM by Smoke Machine »

JackBlack

« Reply #2600 on: January 04, 2021, 01:02:11 PM »
And as repeatedly explained it does nothing to refute the RE.

All you are doing is showing that it won't stay on a small ball sitting on top of a much larger ball.
You are in no way showing it can't stick to a round Earth.

Once more, Earth is not some small ball sitting on top of a much larger ball.
It is a massive ball in free fall outside the Roche limit of any more massive object.

If it is in free fall and inside the Roche limit of a much more massive object then, at the surface of the ball, the tidal acceleration towards that much more massive object (the gravitational acceleration towards the object at the surface of the ball, minus the gravitational attraction at the centre of mass of the ball) is larger than the gravitational attraction to the ball, and thus the water will pull away from the ball.

If it is not in free fall, then instead of dealing with the tidal force, you need to deal with the entire gravitational attraction, and if the much more massive object is close enough, then the gravitational attraction to it is greater than the gravitational attraction to the ball and again the water will pull away from the ball towards the much more massive object.

(and all of that is assuming gravity is the only significant force, which means the object needs to be large enough such that electrostatic interactions can't hold the water together)

Again, it in no way refutes the RE. It is entirely consistent with what is expected given the RE model.

It would be just as dishonest as holding a plate sideways and pouring water on it to show that Earth isn't flat as all the water would run off.

Again, you continually attack strawmen of the RE as you know you cannot refute the RE.

And also look at your dishonest double standard, where you reject us using a small ball to represent the RE with no valid objection as if us not standing on it magically changes everything and magically makes the ball invisible; while here you are using a small ball to try to represent the RE.
This again shows that your objections are not those based upon rational thought and instead it is based upon if they show you are wrong or not. You reject anything that shows you are wrong, but are happy to accept any nonsense which agrees with you or which you can dishonestly misrepresent to pretend you are correct.

Meanwhile, we accept the small round object provides some visual similarities but need to note the difference in distance and scale and understand how they impact observations on Earth, and clearly explain why your water on a ball is pure garbage which in no way refutes the RE, due to the fundamental distinction between your nonsense and the RE model.

And again, you ignore the extremely simple question that exposes your lies:
You start looking straight down towards Earth and slowly lift your head up until you are looking straight up at the sky.
What do you see between the land/sea of Earth and the sky?
How does it visually transition?

Unless you have an honest rational answer for this question, it indicates the RE does have a horizon.

There is no evidence...at all.
You choosing to dismiss the evidence as a con-job or ignore it doesn't mean there is none, it just means you are dishonest and wilfully ignorant.

There is plenty of evidence that shows Earth is round, and you have no rational objection to any of it. (for example, the fact that the horizon appears below eye level, with you being able to use the drop to calculate the radius of Earth)
Meanwhile, there is no evidence at all that Earth is flat rather than round.

« Reply #2601 on: January 04, 2021, 02:08:20 PM »

If you pour water onto a globe that has a mass of 25kg it will fall off.  If you pour water onto a globe that has a mass of 6 million, million, million, million kg then it won't.

You seem to be overlooking that small point which JB (who has the patience of a saint!) has tried to explain to you.  So your next question will inevitably be something along the lines of 'Show me how you know the mass of 'your globe''.  Well figure that out for yourself.  That's what you are so passionate about isn't it?  Finding things out for yourself.  Except you of course. You are quite content to just sit on that throne of yours and dictate to everyone else what they should do.   

There's plenty of information about that so it won't take you long.  I won't waste time myself though as nothing I say will make a difference to what you want to believe.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 02:19:03 PM by Solarwind »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2602 on: January 04, 2021, 09:07:24 PM »

So, this is what you believe.......

Believe what? Looking down?

Quote from: Smoke Machine
I take it, Sceptimatic, you also believe this.......

You forgot the domed sky.

Even though in your avatar depiction of Earth, Earth isn't flat - it's curved? Please explain?

Earth isn't all flat. You've been told this. Water shows the reality of flatness and this is the crux of the reality.

(This might explain the noticeable absence of actual flat earthers who have helped you out in this thread?
I don't need help.

You're not a flat earther at all - you're a globe earth denier, and gold panning earth believer)
That depends on what people like you deem as a , flat Earther.
Water level is flat. This is all that is required to know it's not a globe.
As for being a globe Earth denier. I dismiss the global model for reasons given.
A denier, in your word is back to the old bullying routine used to make a person feel they are committing the crime of going against authority. This shows it up for what it is without even needing further investigation.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2603 on: January 04, 2021, 09:13:41 PM »
As for the gradient. Something similar to the one JJA was using.
I can't find a specific angle stated.  Should I just use 7.98 inches per mile squared?

At best it'll show JJA up  and even better, it will show that you do not bring a downward gradient back into view from a levelled point.
Are you saying the horizon would not be at eye level on a globe?
You saw JJA's photos, so what's your issue?

You saw them too, and haven't been able to identify any flaw in them other than baseless claims that they are somehow faked. Where is your evidence that they are not exactly what they appear to be?

Where are your counterexample photos?
I think any honest person can see the dpe.
There's no flaw in them because you set them up for your own ends, not mine.

This is why you won't go further, because you were backed into a corner and didn't expect it.

That's not an answer.  How exactly did I dupe you?

Do you have any evidence, any specific reason for your claim?

Why won't you perform and post your own experiment?
Anyone with a brain can see what you did. You aren't really duping me you are basically wilfully duping yourself. I know what I know.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2604 on: January 04, 2021, 09:15:52 PM »

Hmmmm.

I'm not following. Trying the same what? What is the issue you have with this demonstration? He even has the Total Station cross hairs for you. Yeah!

Is your schtick here still, "It's a dupe, fake..." If so, talk about being bullied and constrained by a narrative. Just so happens to be a narrative of one, your own. Is everything fake if it doesn't conform to your personal narrative?
Anyone can move a sight above or below a crosshair. You know this so why are you bothering with the same nonsense?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2605 on: January 04, 2021, 09:18:37 PM »

Evidence for most things are conveyed rather than personally experienced. There would be no transfer or gain in knowledge without it.

Take for instance that for 100's of years Horizon below eye level (or dip) has been used in celestial navigation ephemeris. Sailors relied on it, for among other things, not only from getting from A to B but also doing so amid safe passage. Aka, lives depended on it.

Tables requisite to be used with the astronomical and nautical ephemeris, 1766. (NAO-T-1767)
https://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/PR-NAO-T-01767/20

Dip wasn't included just for shits and giggles, it was a crucial aspect of accurate navigation. So if you have a problem with the presence of such, take it up with the centuries of seafarers who relied on it.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you have personally determined that such a thing is impossible. How did you do that and where's your evidence for it?
There is no dip.
There is change in theoretical horizon line as and when movement is underway. Always. That's it

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2606 on: January 04, 2021, 09:24:04 PM »

No. It's a reality.

the ball and the water in the video are on the ground in what i assume to be taken on earth.
earth being the thing that is very large and all things in the relative vicinity generally fall towards.
"towards" being "down" as already described to you.

may be you can try saying this out loud, slowly, so you understand.

using the "duped" math, my quick math i got 316SS at 7.87g/cm^3, 50cm diam = 514kg of ball.
using the F=GMm/r^2 = 6.67x10^-11x514xwater/0.25^2 = the weight of water x 0.000,000,5

wow
there's soooo much gravity created by that ball!
i'm amazed everyone's not flying towards it and getting stuck.

so far the math shows that your theory is non relevant and that oceans in the south pole would NOT start flying upwards.
and this math is matched with observed reality in that water in the south pole doesn't start falling off ("up") the earth.
The math shows nothing about gravity.
The reality  and logic of it is there for anyone to understand, that we do not walk upon a global spinning Earth..

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2607 on: January 04, 2021, 09:29:16 PM »

From Quora:

Ffs

wowee..

if your EYE is allowed to rise and lower, why is it that EYE LEVEL isn't?
Eye level is eye level for horizon, theoretical line.
You can easily drop below a crosshair or go above it when looking out to your eye level horizon. It's so easy to play those games but you are duping nobody but yourselves in a deliberate manner.
Why in the hell you'd want to do that is beyond me.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2608 on: January 04, 2021, 09:31:10 PM »

right
theoretical as in not a physical line.
i see a very clear distinct of the water line and the sky.
do you not see this theoretical line?

Yep, I see that theoretical line.
I'd see that theoretical line whether I looked above or below that crosshair.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2609 on: January 04, 2021, 09:36:37 PM »
Sceptimatic, your avatar is not a flat earth model.

It has a distinctive curve just like the globe, I see going on for North America on your avatar. By your own reasoning, Australia on your avatar should be at the bottom of the sea bed, along with most of South America and Africa, with the rest of the sea water defying every other logical natural law, and sticking to the sides of a bowl. Does water in your house, magically pool on your walls, and sit there, does it?

So, why are you carrying on about there being no curvature, when your own chosen model by Orlando Ferguson - a businessman from South Dakota, has the loopiest curvature anybody could possibly come up with? Seriously, the Angels standing on the four corners of Orlando's model (which you cropped out) makes more sense than the rest of it.

Now, address those last two images I posted about the horizon.
Paying attention to earlier posting about what you're trying to argue, is not a strong point of yours, I see.

You are getting weaker by the second by using angels and such and also using a model in its entirety as if I follow that.
You can clearly see I use it as the potential set up, only.

And water would not be sitting on any convex gradient but sitting in a concave one.
Have a think on this stuff and it'll save you trying to be clever and getting nowhere.