Just Back From Camping / Picked USNEA Lichen - medicine for respiratory illness?

• 15 Replies

faded mike

• new world
Hello friends

I just got back from camping in Nordeg in the mountains for a few days it is serene and beautiful and remote.There are 2 main routes into the mountains west of us - to jasper west of Edmonton, and to Banff west of Calgary. Red Deer is halfway between Ed. and Cowtown, and Nordeg is east of it in the mountains.

They were reportedly goin to make Nordeg into a big city, but the coal mine got shut down due to flooding or something. I think there is a lot to explore in the area.

Also they got bigfoot there. Les Stroud Survivorman did an episode on bigfoot there.

I picked a bundle of of usnea lichen ("old mans beard") from trees - good medicine, my herbal plants book says, for respiratory diseases and more potent antibiotic then penicilin for gram positive, or is it negative(?) bacteria. And Usnea lishen grows every where.... can anyone confirm this lichen medicine idea?

I will also post pics of this Lichen for anyone curious - supposedly it is good medicine for the whole family. It is light grey green, kindof beige green, light green thread like bundles 1 inch thick and 2 to 4 long that grows hangin from tree branches. "It has a central elasticy cord".
??"yellow lichen is poisonous"??   
In the off chance anybody is sick and this could help / wants to try it - I drank some - its spicy.

There were small few mushrooms there this year though.

I also widdled three wooden spoons out of firewood - i wil post pics for a chuckle when i get them out of the trailer.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 12:08:34 AM by faded mike »
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

I am not a druggy

rvlvr

I’d imagine it is best used as a firestarter.

faded mike

• new world
Apparently you can smoke it too, but of course thats a completely diffenrent variety - i think.
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

I am not a druggy

JJA

• Math is math!
There were small few mushrooms there this year though.

I hope you're not eating those.

faded mike

• new world
I just meant "very" few.
           -them

I am not a druggy

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
EAT THE SHROOMS.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot

I also widdled three wooden spoons out of firewood - i wil post pics for a chuckle when i get them out of the trailer.

Haha, mountain man Mike.   ;D

My Lion Mane mushrooms are finally pinning.
I'll send you a pic.

faded mike

• new world
Right on.
           -them

I am not a druggy

faded mike

• new world
EAT THE SHROOMS.
My friend from the mushroom club brought me a bunj of albertas best mushrooms from Edson - hedgehog mushrroms. Itraded him for extra houseplants. I will definitely eat those!
and i am gonna try to start drimkinf the lichen tea with mint all the time, but i didn't get any mushrooms from Nordeg...lichen is a symbiotic relationship between fungus and algae, though.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:49:22 PM by faded mike »
           -them

I am not a druggy

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
just in case anyone cares . . .

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Will I still be perfect tomorrow?

Not sure what it is, but I care.

I remember picking fly agarics, drying and eating those and being very let down.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

High Priestess of the “Society for the Promotion of Arbitrary Moderation” (SPAM)

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot

Not sure what it is, but I care.

I remember picking fly agarics, drying and eating those and being very let down.

I've been sampling various mushrooms.
Some are expensive. They all taste like mushrooms.

I'm waiting for one to be super delicious.  :D

I may just steal a truffle. I hear people say they're awesome.

JJA

• Math is math!
Just don't eat any you find growing in the woods.  That's a good way to have fun.  :)

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Just don't eat any you find growing in the woods.  That's a good way to have fun.  :)

Well, you feed them to the neighbor's cat first.  ;D

JJA

• Math is math!

Well, you feed them to the neighbor's cat first.  ;D

That's a good way to catch toxoplasmosis.  Ever try and make a cat eat something it doesn't want?  :o

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Ever try and make a cat eat something it doesn't want?  :o

Yep, the trick is not caring if the cat lives or dies.