Round, flat or a sphere.

• 9 Replies
?

round and round

Round, flat or a sphere.
« on: December 28, 2005, 06:20:59 PM »
The one thing that I find even more amazing around here is that most people think that the opposite of a flat earth is a round one! Something can be flat and round at the same time.The question must be if it is flat or a sphere.
It is unbelievable that anybody can still think that the earth is flat. I think that the flat-earthers are only fooling with the sphere-earthers.
I don't believe that in this modern age somebody can still believe that the earth is flat.

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
Round, flat or a sphere.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 09:36:39 PM »
They don't, essentially, everyone here just likes arguing and we'll do it over the slightest pretense.

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
Round, flat or a sphere.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 05:48:06 AM »
Quote from: "6strings"
They don't, essentially, everyone here just likes arguing and we'll do it over the slightest pretense.

no we don't, you're wrong.
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

bullhorn

• Flat Earth Scientist
Round, flat or a sphere.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 10:53:12 AM »
I do infact believe the earth is flat.  There are many reasons as to why this is so.

Round, flat or a sphere.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 01:38:58 PM »
the

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
Round, flat or a sphere.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 02:01:45 PM »
Alright EnragedPenguin, I'm sorry for generalizing.  I enjoy arguing, and will use even the slightest pretext for an argument.  And I guess there are some people who actually think the world is flat, but not many of them.

And finally, bullhorn, you've once again failed to back up your opinion in any way.  At least have the decency for citing a reason rather than saying "there are many reasons why this is so" and then hoping we'll accept this as valid reasoning.

Re: Keep On Keepin' On
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 08:11:36 PM »
Quote from: "Dionysios"
One explanation by a Christian flat earth cosmologist from the sixth century AD is that in the far north exists a great mountain which in fact ascends higher than the height that the sun and moon traverse in.  The sun actually revolves around this mountain (mentioned in Isaiah 14) once per day.  The shadow cast by this mountain creates night on the other part of the world.

And just where is this mountain that's so high that it can block out the sun? The center of the world, presumably, so that the light and dark are created on a regular basis. It would therefore, according to the UN map, be at the North Pole which, as far as I'm aware, does not have a 60 mile high mountain on it. And one final point on this supposed mountain: if the Earth were flat we'd be able to see it.

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
Round, flat or a sphere.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 09:54:46 PM »
There's a complete lack of logic in the supposition of a giant mountain creating night and day.  Apart from the points Mundi has made, which even alone are enough to discredit this theory, if the sun were to travel around this mountain, we wouldn't have sunrise and sunset, instead, we'd see the sun begin to disapear behind the mountain, from side to side.  And, of course, there'd have to be a mountain for it to disappear behind.  There isn't.

Surely you can't honestly be supporting this theory, Dionysios, can you?  Even if we look at this through a Christian doctrine point of view (as you seem to be doing by citing this "cosmologist"'s religion, which has otherwise no relevance to the subject) St. Augustine discouraged christians from "making statements about the physical world that were at odds with reason, since they would only bring our faith into contempt and disrepute."

And lastly, the fact that "practically all the most ancient religions and traditions throughout the world" mention this mountain means nothing.  Ever heard of Carl Jung?  You may want to look into his writings.  It's a completely natural thing for humans to use mountains in their religions as mountains inspire wonder in us.  Simply put, just because lots of people said something doesn't make it true, even if these people were spread out and didn't come into contact.  All the most ancient religions were polytheist, does that mean there are many gods?

Round, flat or a sphere.
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 12:11:45 PM »
the

Re: Keep On Keepin' On
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 10:20:16 PM »
Quote from: "Dionysios"

First, it seems evident that among the various people on this website, yourself and Mr. Bill are indeed genuine flat earthers.

I'm sorry, I found this priceless for some reason. Yay for the THREE FLAT EARTH BELIEVERS!!