The number of fish-eye lenses is too damned high

• 18 Replies

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
The number of fish-eye lenses is too damned high
« on: August 24, 2020, 11:15:28 PM »
Why does every god damn amateur rocket / balloon video on youtube use a fish eye lens?

We get it, you want the earth to be round. It's tiring how much confirmation bias round-earthers have.

Re: The number of fish-eye lenses is too damned high
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 11:34:23 PM »
Because they arenít trying to prove anything except how well their rocket/balloon performs.

Launch your own rocket if you donít like it.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 11:44:26 PM »
You must not know who I am.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 12:17:20 AM »

I remember you.
How's things?

Also, if you use a wide angle lens you don't need to explain stuff.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 02:38:57 AM »
Beacuse Go-Pro is fisheye and it is perfect for amateur rockets, small, easy to fit, cheap...

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 03:03:03 AM »
Instruments should not have a voice of their own.

JackBlack

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 03:23:20 AM »
Why does every god damn amateur rocket / balloon video on youtube use a fish eye lens?
Because they want to have a large FOV rather than loads and loads of cameras.

They don't give a damn about the likes of you who bury their head in the sand to deny the fact that Earth is round.

Anyone who actually understands optics can also tell it if it is a fish eye lens, and if you did want to use such footage to prove if Earth is round or flat, you typically can by examining how the horizon curves in different positions of the FOV.
When you do, you find that they show Earth is round.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 06:08:52 AM »

No, I don't.

Launch your own rocket.
The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 06:41:46 AM »
Flat-Earthers continue to misunderstand how optics work.

A fish eye lens will make the Earth look more curbed in one direction, but less in the other.  It will distort the view one way or the other based on where the horizon is.

And as stated earlier, using the known characteristics of the lens you can correct for the distortion, especially as the horizon moves across the cameras field of view and changes shape.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 12:46:52 PM »
I thought that all  common cameras have massive barrel distrotion at that scale.
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 01:04:17 PM »
I thought that all  common cameras have massive barrel distrotion at that scale.

GoPro, probably being the most common, is defaulted to a wide fisheye lens setting, like 120+ degrees. However, there are a few ways to correct for this. You can change the settings to "Linear" mode, that will remove the fisheye effect:

You can remove the fisheye effect in post as JJA suggested.

Lastly, you can DIY a replacement non-fisheye lens onto these types of 'action' cameras.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 04:42:26 PM »
So, anyone can fake an image?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 04:47:33 PM »

No, only those of us NASA trained know how to do that.

Photoshop class is right after Assassination Class and before Lizard People Worship 101.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 08:39:40 PM »

No, only those of us NASA trained know how to do that.

I think that's a fake sentence.   >:(

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 09:28:29 PM »
Photoshop class is right after Assassination Class and before Lizard People Worship 101.
The class on the ultra high top secret workings of camera lenses and how exposure affects images comes first right?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 04:59:32 AM »
The class on the ultra high top secret workings of camera lenses and how exposure affects images comes first right?

No, first we do the hazing. Did you read the brochure?

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 12:04:12 AM »

No, first we do the hazing. Did you read the brochure?
No, I had trouble finding it.  It's top secret.

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2020, 01:10:07 PM »
There are 3 ways to determine and correct for fish-eye distortion on videos:

1) A strait or curved edge will change the amount by where it is above or below center line. When corrected, meaning no barrel or pincushion distortion, that edge will not change.
So a strait edge will stay strait, or a curved edge will stay curved if no barrel distortion.
1A) However, whatever a lens type, when the strait or curved edge goes thru the middle, what shape remains there is natural.

2) As an object goes from center to an edge, if the camera is panning smoothly, with a true fish eye, the object will not speed up as it gets near the edge. A Rectilinear (normal) lens, it would appear to speed up, more so, on very wide angle lenses.
(A true fish eye, is where each angle change, is linear at the focus, usually 180 deg lens)

3) As an object goes from the center to an edge, it will keep it's aspect ratio if a true fish eye. On a rectilinear lens, it will widen in direction to the center axis of the lens. This distortion is needed to keep strait lines strait, on the focus.

Note:
1) When you need to measure great angles from images, only the true fish eye you can do that.
2) GoPro use mild fish eye lenses, because you can get a good 1080P image quality without expensive optics, and they have free correction software at their site.
Astronomer, photographer, and astro-photographer for 51 years. Satellite observer for 3 years, satellite builder in the 80's. Telescope maker and familiar with optical theory and designs. Machinists and machine tool programmer.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2020, 09:58:31 PM »
So, if you like the image it's good, otherwise it sucks?