Flatoberfest

• 26 Replies
?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
Flatoberfest
« on: August 24, 2020, 12:14:07 AM »
Flatoberfest, a day long flat earth conference will be held in Greenville, SC on 24 Octobre 2020.

https://flatoberfest.com/get-your-tickets/?fbclid=IwAR2Ujv-cUyt3l2E_TBW2c9vcsL3Gc_c755mAc8hT3xlo1R3fMNi_ysI-k4A

rvlvr

Re: Flatoberfest
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 12:43:32 AM »
Will the presentations be made available online at a later date?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 01:04:15 AM »
why the $6.32 Fee?

sounds a bit like a 'Live Nation' rip off.

I'm sure you are above board.
So explain.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 04:21:58 AM »
Will the presentations be made available online at a later date?
Judging from the fact that Flatoberfest 2019 presentations can be found online, then I would say yes.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 04:39:51 AM »
Are they going to be practicing social distancing and wearing masks I wonder?

How many people attended last year? I see quotes of 200 but photographic evidence shows about 20. :)

Couldn't find any videos of the presentations.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 04:40:04 AM »
why the $6.32 Fee?

So explain.

It sounds like you missed the $77 meaning the total is actually about $83.

I’m not putting it on and actually paid this price myself for tickets for my wife and I, but I would imagine the cost of the venue and other costs such as insurance are what make up the cost. If you think it’s too much, then don’t come.

The more upscale Flat Earth International Conferences held in 2017, 2018 & 2019 were more expensive. Robbie Davidson, the organiser for those, stopped doing them. A group of followers was going to do one in Las Vegas, but that’s a flop.

This event has the same speakers and the same core crowd as FEIC. The only two confirmed speakers so far are Mark Sargent and also Bob Knodel of Globe Busters, but several other speakers are tentative.

Karen B, the co-host of Mark Sargent’s ‘Strangeworld’ podcast is organising the event.

Therefore, this event is the only flat earth conference this year. There are a couple of meet ups around the country, but considerably fewer this year due to coronavirus.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 04:59:33 AM »
Are they going to be practicing social distancing and wearing masks I wonder?

How many people attended last year? I see quotes of 200 but photographic evidence shows about 20. :)

Couldn't find any videos of the presentations.

I didn’t go last year, but I would reckon the quotes of 200 are not too far from the truth. I did attend the FEIC in Denver and Dallas which had over 500 each time. This will obviously be less than that, but I’m certain it was a lot more than just 20 people last year.

As far as wearing masks, they are not forbidden. I have say, I know or have at least met many of these people personally, and they are honestly about the most anti-mask conspiratorial minded strata of people you can find in the United States. I personally disagree with them about that, but I am definitely a stand out minority on that issue with this group.

As far as flat earthism, they are well informed, but they have different perspectives on a couple of issues from the consensus on this forum. Their movement grew out of the YouTube flat earthism since about 2015. They are generally politically slightly further to the right than this forum, but not all of them.

I would say there is a large Bible Church going part of that movement that listens to Fox News, but Karen B and this conference in particular perhaps represents the more liberal part of that. Robbie Davidson and several others whom he had speak at the FEIC conferences are more drawn to a Take on the World (TOTW) conference in Ohio this week which definitely constitutes a Protestant Bible conference which happens to be flat earth. I didn’t bother to mention that one as I’m not as interested in it myself.

In other words, if there’s a group of people from the YouTube part of the Flat earth movement that folks from this forum would likely get on with, then Flatoberfest is it.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 05:13:34 AM »
Organiser Karen B Endecott made a trailer for the event.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 09:41:50 AM »
I wonder if John Davis will make it. Is it perhaps a 3 hour drive from Knoxville?

I’m coming all the way from Oregon.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 10:09:55 AM »
I bet it will be fun! I am not going, but I hope you tell us all about it.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Stash

• I am car!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 10:27:45 AM »
Here are a bunch of vids from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTv21yaCbc8cJI4myxPq9_ZgSp7T67Xl5

Is Karen B the woman that Mark pines for in Behind the Curve?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 12:00:22 PM »

No, that was Patricia Steere who was relentlessly and cruelly attacked and driven off by the Flat Earth community, left it, and is apparently back now? It's hard to keep track of all the drama.

Stash

• I am car!
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 12:15:26 PM »

No, that was Patricia Steere who was relentlessly and cruelly attacked and driven off by the Flat Earth community, left it, and is apparently back now? It's hard to keep track of all the drama.

That's right, I mixed them up. Here's an interesting Article/Interview with Patricia Steere. Talk about drama...I had no idea:

Everything That Was Beautiful Became Ugly | Escaping Flat Earth with Patricia Steere
by Noel Joshua Hadley | Jul 3, 2019

Flat Earth | Interviews

https://theunexpectedcosmology.com/everything-that-was-beautiful-became-ugly-escaping-flat-earth-with-patricia-steere/

NotSoSkeptical

• Flatness as in the shape of a water droplet.
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 01:29:08 PM »
Cause flat chested women need loving too.
Rabinoz RIP

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 04:09:48 PM »
I wonder if John Davis will make it. Is it perhaps a 3 hour drive from Knoxville?

I’m coming all the way from Oregon.

If the world is flat, just buy a good telescope and watch it from home.
The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 04:42:41 PM »
I bet it will be fun! I am not going, but I hope you tell us all about it.

I will, and thank you.

I was at FEIC Denver which was a blast. I have to say I thought Patricia Steere was in her early 30’s, but she’s in her mid-50’s. I offered to buy her a drink, and she insisted on cranberry juice. I concluded all that Veganism she’s into is for real and it works. Incidentally, the creationist heliocentrist Danny Faulkner interrupted me exactly as I bought her a drink to ask if I was Russian because I asked about flat earthism in Russia during the q&a session and because of the way I dressed.

As far as Robbie Davidson and the speakers and that community, I would say they have been friends with Patricia Steere consistently the whole time. Her key problem was one guy that she fell for who used and abused her. A couple of speakers, namely Dean Odle and one other were mean enough to attack her and repeat the rubbish her abuser posted, but Dean Odle and the other guy were excoriated by the Flat Earth Community, very appropriately so.

Patricia Steere never came back to public flat earthism. She still believes in it and is friends with the community, but after about 6 months to get her life together she returned making videos about people who abuse other people. 

As for me, I was at last year’s FEIC in Dallas where Jimmy Kimmel made fun of it. I actually made national TV because I emerged from the main conference room at the moment the conference staff had cornered Jake Byrd (Jimmy Kimmel’s man) with the police.

The FE staff guy interrogating told me the guy was interrupting interviews, but they didn’t air that part. Things were hot at that moment, and I returned through the door I had just entered through.

Immediately after the 7 minute, 30 second mark, I enter the corridor:

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2020, 05:11:32 PM »
why the $6.32 Fee?

So explain.

It sounds like you missed the $77 meaning the total is actually about $83.

I’m not putting it on and actually paid this price myself for tickets for my wife and I, but I would imagine the cost of the venue and other costs such as insurance are what make up the cost. If you think it’s too much, then don’t come.

The more upscale Flat Earth International Conferences held in 2017, 2018 & 2019 were more expensive. Robbie Davidson, the organiser for those, stopped doing them. A group of followers was going to do one in Las Vegas, but that’s a flop.

This event has the same speakers and the same core crowd as FEIC. The only two confirmed speakers so far are Mark Sargent and also Bob Knodel of Globe Busters, but several other speakers are tentative.

Karen B, the co-host of Mark Sargent’s ‘Strangeworld’ podcast is organising the event.

Therefore, this event is the only flat earth conference this year. There are a couple of meet ups around the country, but considerably fewer this year due to coronavirus.

Why not just charge a flat fee?

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2020, 05:19:04 PM »
Why not just charge a flat fee?

Ha, OK, that was good :)
The Universal Accelerator is a constant farce.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

From the FAQ - "In general, we at the Flat Earth Society do not lend much credibility to photographic evidence."

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2020, 05:22:23 PM »

;D

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2020, 05:06:51 AM »
I bet it will be fun!
I will take that bet.  I'll give you good odds as well.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

faded mike

• new world tattoo drill scar + I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2020, 07:45:15 PM »
Shit, i got a 400 dollar airline credit...
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

I am not a druggy

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 10:56:33 PM »

As for me, I was at last year’s FEIC in Dallas
Did you get a chance to ask D. Marble why he ran away from Team Skeptic when he realized who he was?

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2020, 07:29:04 AM »
Did you get a chance to ask D. Marble why he ran away from Team Skeptic when he realized who he was

That’s actually a very worthwhile question - not because of Team Skeptic (whom I’d honestly have to look up to know who you’re talking about), but because D Marble has generally been openly critical of racism and other inappropriate things within flat earthism, and rightly so.

I’m personally good friends with Darryle Marble whom I’ve met at multiple meet ups in Oregon and conferences including Dallas and Denver.

I mentioned to him on one occasion that modern flat earthism could use some anti-racism and historical education both for its own ethics and to be consistent with its history.

If I may call the Flat earth movement of the past five years the “YouTube Flat Earthism” as opposed to this forum which is about 10 years older, then I have to say the politics of the Youtube flat earthers tends to be further to the right in general. During the past year especially Darryle Marble has denounced racism among some flat earthers which I think has been therapeutic for the movement. It needed that. One of the things that tipped it off may have been Owen Benjamin’s monologue at the Dallas conference during which he freely used the n word, denounced holocaust museums, et cetera.

I would not say most “YouTube flat earthers” are like Owen Benjamin, but it’s good and even necessary that people like Darryle Marble are there to stigmatise such things.

Although personally I confess I am more drawn to the “YouTube” flat earthers probably because of the prevalence of agnosticism on these forums as well as a couple of other issues, if this forum has a saving grace (other than its online library) I think the political awareness and perspectives on this forum have in the past often enough been a bit more astute than aggregate of those in the “YouTube” movement.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2020, 07:36:48 AM »
Ms. Karen B, the organiser, has updated the list of speakers:

https://flatoberfest.com/the-presenters/

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2020, 12:16:51 PM »

That’s actually a very worthwhile question - not because of Team Skeptic (whom I’d honestly have to look up to know who you’re talking about), but because D Marble has generally been openly critical of racism and other inappropriate things within flat earthism, and rightly so.

I’m personally good friends with Darryle Marble whom I’ve met at multiple meet ups in Oregon and conferences including Dallas and Denver.

I mentioned to him on one occasion that modern flat earthism could use some anti-racism and historical education both for its own ethics and to be consistent with its history.

If I may call the Flat earth movement of the past five years the “YouTube Flat Earthism” as opposed to this forum which is about 10 years older, then I have to say the politics of the Youtube flat earthers tends to be further to the right in general. During the past year especially Darryle Marble has denounced racism among some flat earthers which I think has been therapeutic for the movement. It needed that. One of the things that tipped it off may have been Owen Benjamin’s monologue at the Dallas conference during which he freely used the n word, denounced holocaust museums, et cetera.

I would not say most “YouTube flat earthers” are like Owen Benjamin, but it’s good and even necessary that people like Darryle Marble are there to stigmatise such things.

Although personally I confess I am more drawn to the “YouTube” flat earthers probably because of the prevalence of agnosticism on these forums as well as a couple of other issues, if this forum has a saving grace (other than its online library) I think the political awareness and perspectives on this forum have in the past often enough been a bit more astute than aggregate of those in the “YouTube” movement.

Now that would be an interesting topic.

I also get the impression that the Flat Earthers here are very much not representative of Flat Earthers in general.  Maybe that’s largely because they are so heavily outnumbered by the likes of me.

Stands to reason that any movement that has “big government lies” as a central feature is going to draw people from political fringes.  Going by YouTube comments there certainly seem to be some very right wing Flat Earthers, but then you can hardly watch cat video on YouTube without running into a Neo Nazi or two, so maybe that doesn’t tell us much?

It would be interesting to hear D Marble’s take on all that.

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2020, 08:23:52 PM »
I’m personally good friends with Darryle Marble whom I’ve met at multiple meet ups ...
I wasn't aware of the racism.  Team Skeptic is a youtuber and FE critic who tried to interview a few people in Dallas.  D Marble works just down the street from where I work.  Couple of my coworkers used to work with him.  I've never met him yet, just seen his van in the parking lot.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2020, 09:04:29 AM »
Did you get a chance to ask D. Marble why he ran away from Team Skeptic when he realized who he was

Is  homophobia still ok though?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 10:36:46 AM by sokarul »
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.