Cypriot hacker extradited to the US

• 89 Replies

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
Re: Cypriot hacker extradited to the US
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2020, 07:30:12 AM »
It's in the source you provided. I posted the quote and the image already.

It's not, you misinterpreted the source. I just made a post detailing exactly what he is charged with.

the amount he charged for each deleted record. It was $3k-$5k per record,

HE didn't charge that money, Submit Express charged that money from the businesses that paid them to do that. He was supposed to be paid around 1k per complaint by Submit Express. From what I gather he didn't receive all of that because Submit got busted and the banks blocked the payments. Furthermore he didn't steal that money from ROR as you seemed to say in that other post, he got it (illegally) from Submit.

I guess without actually knowing what he actually did time for, you've set this up in such a way that it's impossible to really have a discussion.

He didn't technically yet do time for anything, since he wasn't sentenced yet. However the sentence he ended up facing in Cyprus before they decided to extradite him was no more than what he had already done so he wouldn't have to do more prison time. I imagine he would have to pay restitutions and compensations though.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2020, 07:43:12 AM »
Also idk about Cyprus but I am pretty sure that here minors being tried as adults is not legally a thing. There are no special rules about extradition of minors though. However Cyprus has a difference, in that they changed their constitution in 2013 so that they can extradite their own citizens. They couldn't do that before, so I don't know what rules they have there because they're probably different to ours (we still can't extradite our own citizens).

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2020, 07:45:28 AM »
I called it dirty money the first time. Jesus Christ. So fine, not stolen money. And that’s still something to the tune of $100k in TOTALLY NOT STOLEN BUT STILL ILLEGAL MONEY. And you bring up another great point, in that he also attempted to commit bank fraud. So that’s another thing that he thinks is totally OK to do. This is still not the story you started painting in your OP, a tale of some poor kiddo who really likes computers that accidentally found himself on the wrong side of the law and all the big bad mean people in uniforms came to take him away unfairly. He did some really bad things. And he did a lot of it at an age where his moral compass is already pretty firmly established.

I still don’t think I’m of the mind that he should have been extradited. But I can absolutely see how a case was made for it to happen.

Pezevenk

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2020, 07:50:49 AM »
I called it dirty money the first time. Jesus Christ. So fine, not stolen money. And that’s still something to the tune of $100k in TOTALLY NOT STOLEN BUT STILL ILLEGAL MONEY. And you bring up another great point, in that he also attempted to commit bank fraud. So that’s another thing that he thinks is totally OK to do. This is still not the story you started painting in your OP, a tale of some poor kiddo who really likes computers that accidentally found himself on the wrong side of the law and all the big bad mean people in uniforms came to take him away unfairly. He did some really bad things. And he did a lot of it at an age where his moral compass is already pretty firmly established.

I still don’t think I’m of the mind that he should have been extradited. But I can absolutely see how a case was made for it to happen.

You said:

He didn't just steal $45k, or $90k. He illegally took in over $300k, possibly over $500k, in money, just in the crimes he was caught committing.

Which is why I thought you meant he stole 300-500k.

He didn't attempt to commit bank fraud, idk where you got that from. The bank blocked the payment because Submit got busted making illegal payments, it didn't have anything to do with defrauding the bank and he is not charged of committing bank fraud or attempting to commit bank fraud. You are interpreting many of my posts very wrong.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2020, 08:02:16 AM »
He didn't attempt to commit bank fraud, idk where you got that from. The bank blocked the payment because Submit got busted making illegal payments, it didn't have anything to do with defrauding the bank and he is not charged of committing bank fraud or attempting to commit bank fraud. You are interpreting many of my posts very wrong.

This is from the link you shared:
Investigators said that when a local Cyprus bank blocked the co-conspirator's payments to the hacker, the two also arranged for the SEO company to issue bogus backdated invoices to justify the bank transfers for Epifaniou's hacking.

That is conspiracy to commit bank fraud.

Pezevenk

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2020, 08:07:49 AM »
So to recap:

• He defrauded and extorted around 58k from various sites by hacking into their user bases and making demands
  • He was supposed to receive 1k per complaint for around 100 complaints he deleted. I don't know exactly how much he received because Submit got busted and the bank blocked the payments.
  • He did a DDOS attack against some telecom company, not sure what the motive was. He was busted and arrested in May 2017.
  • All his crimes were committed between the ages of 14 and 17. In May 2017, when he was arrested, he was still 17.
  • After his arrest, FBI said they suspected him of the ROR hack.
  • He was pre-jailed for around 18 months before he managed to post bail.
  • The sentence he was facing in Cyprus was around what he had already served, I imagine the law factored in the fact he was a minor.
  • At some point the US requested his extradition, Cyprus agreed, so he was arrested again earlier this year.
  • He was extradited a few days ago and he is facing a sentence of 20 years.

So there is exactly what happened.

Right, I didn't notice that. However he doesn't seem to be charged for that. Maybe the courts decided it weighed mostly SEO or he was only charged in Cyprus for that, since the US doesn't really care what he did to a bank in Cyprus. Or maybe it wasn't one of the more serious offenses and it wasn't brought up. Idk.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:09:29 AM by Pezevenk »

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2020, 08:13:21 AM »
It sounds like he was arrested for the DDoS attack, which is unrelated to the ROR stuff, meaning this isn't a double jeopardy situation where he's being tried twice for the same crime.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2020, 09:39:15 AM »
Never mind
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »
So to recap:

• He defrauded and extorted around 58k from various sites by hacking into their user bases and making demands
  • He was supposed to receive 1k per complaint for around 100 complaints he deleted. I don't know exactly how much he received because Submit got busted and the bank blocked the payments.
  • He did a DDOS attack against some telecom company, not sure what the motive was. He was busted and arrested in May 2017.
  • All his crimes were committed between the ages of 14 and 17. In May 2017, when he was arrested, he was still 17.
  • After his arrest, FBI said they suspected him of the ROR hack.
  • He was pre-jailed for around 18 months before he managed to post bail.
  • The sentence he was facing in Cyprus was around what he had already served, I imagine the law factored in the fact he was a minor.
  • At some point the US requested his extradition, Cyprus agreed, so he was arrested again earlier this year.
  • He was extradited a few days ago and he is facing a sentence of 20 years.

So there is exactly what happened.

Right, I didn't notice that. However he doesn't seem to be charged for that. Maybe the courts decided it weighed mostly SEO or he was only charged in Cyprus for that, since the US doesn't really care what he did to a bank in Cyprus. Or maybe it wasn't one of the more serious offenses and it wasn't brought up. Idk.
How is this worth 20 years? I'd give him a week of community work, maybe two, plus forcing him to pay the money that he illegally acquired back.

Member of the BOTD

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »
Is he sorry?

JackBlack

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2020, 02:58:29 PM »
I thought that was generally consensus, and actually represented in the punishments many different justice systems
If that is the case then why complain about this punishment?
You are now just contradicting yourself.
I told you they can be paid restitution.
And ignored the fact that the hacker likely can't pay that restitution. As such they cannot be magically repaired. Instead you can just shift the damage to someone else.
Idk man, most people would care if they lost 100k by a scam or if someone broke into their home and threatened their family with a gun to do that.
Notice how now you are adding in more details?
Not only did the person rob me of $100k, they also now broke into my house, and they threatened me and my family with a gun.
So what you are really asking now is what would you rather have happen:
Bad thing X, or bad thing X along with bad things Y and Z?
Also note that you are now really failing at your comparison because he wasn't just taking money, he was blackmailing people, i.e. threatening them.
An extreme case of stealing/scamming lots of money from hundreds of people and causing them serious damage. Not defrauding money from 2-3 entities that can be repaid relatively easily.
Except it isn't just 2-3 entities and you are yet to establish that they can pay it back very easily.
This is a pattern of crime, having many many counts. It is severe.
What non-financial damages?
Already answered, you'd know if you paid attention to what you're answering to, moving on.
You know states do that all the time, right?
That doesn't answer the question at all.
Why should they pay for his crimes?
Also, plenty of courts don't.
Because criminals are citizens too and their countries protect them?
So Afghanistan was right to protect Osama Bin Laden?
Germany was right to protect Hitler?
Why should countries protect criminals from prosecution for the crimes they committed?
Because being tried in a foreign court carries all sorts of different issues with it, and it seems like the US courts are determined to punish him extremely severely.
Yes, they are going to punish him severely for his severe crimes. That is not a problem.
And from the sounds of the allegations, it sounds like someone didn't pay the blackmail demands and instead got very large costs as a result of whatever it was that they were being blackmailed with. So I doubt that can get "repaired".
With that attitude, so can every crime.
Had a loved one murdered, don't worry, they can just pay some money.
Hijacked a few planes and flew them into buildings, don't worry, they can just pay some money.
That's why I specified the crimes were non violent and the damage was strictly financial, you genius. Jesus christ.
No, you didn't.
Instead you responded to specifically non-financial crimes which also had a financial impact.
Instead of accepting that that can't be repaired you decided that the courts are fine to decide that it can just get magically repaired by throwing money at it.
No. Unless it caused a huge amount of damage ... Even then, it is much easier to restore that kind of damage than a serious violent offense.
No, again, lots of "serious violent offences" require some time off to heal to repair, if you ignore the mental damage.
You also have no idea of just what the damages were.

He stole and purchased illegally obtained PII.
Stealing PII information is a very serious crime and should be treated as such.
Blackmailing people by threatening to release it is a very serious crime and should be treated as such.
Leaking can effectively destroy someone's life.

That is severe and he deserves a severe penalty.
I'm not even sure what the argument is even supposed to be here, that the victims shouldn't be compensated in any way
No, that isn't my position. I am not annoyed by the concept of restitution and compensation. I'm all for that.
Both indictments in the US demand the forfeiture of forfeitable property upon conviction.
I just also recognise the non-financial damages and the severity of the crime, that deserves more than just throwing money at the problem.
If you think committing financial crimes and blackmailing people should just result in you paying back the money you stole, then you are saying there is basically no reason at all to not do them. You either don't get caught and don't have to pay back the money, or you get caught for part of it and have to pay back part of it.
The sentence he was facing in Cyprus
The sentence for what?
That is what you keep ignoring.
What was he actually arrested for in Cyprus?
What was he actually facing trial for in Cyrpus?
From the sounds of it is is purely the attack against the ISP/telcom, not any of the rest (and that isn't what he is facing trial for in the US).
If they think it is 1.5 years for the relatively minor crime of just DDOSing an ISP/telcom (assuming no one died as a result) if acceptable, what makes you think they wouldn't accept 20 years for the numerous counts of fraud, theft, blackmail, etc.

How is this worth 20 years? I'd give him a week of community work, maybe two, plus forcing him to pay the money that he illegally acquired back.
And if he can't pay it back?
And so that means if someone blackmails you and releases your personal information, which could effectively destroy your life, you are fine with them just getting a tiny bit of community service?
A week of community service is pathetic for his crimes.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2020, 10:25:26 PM »
Someone with his web/online/programming skills will easily be able to pay it back.
Unless of course, you throw him into prison for years.

Also I bet he took the money only from people that did not suffer relevant damage from it.

Member of the BOTD

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2020, 10:30:07 PM »
Someone with his web/online/programming skills will easily be able to pay it back.

Also I bet he took the money only from people that did not suffer relevant damage from it.

So, if 10,000,000 people each steal 1 cent from you there is no relevant damage, right?

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2020, 12:47:03 AM »

So, if 10,000,000 people each steal 1 cent from you there is no relevant damage, right?
Did he clone himself 10 million times? Hm I must have missed that part!

None of what you write makes any sense. So if 10million people steal 1 cent from you (in a fantasy world where you have that kind of money) then everyone of those 10 million people should receive the punishment for stealing 100k?

Member of the BOTD

JackBlack

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2020, 02:38:29 PM »
Firstly, taking money is damage.
Secondly, he didn't simply take money. He extorted it from people by threatening them, where if they didn't pay the company likely would have been destroyed or at least very severely damaged and the person's life (as well as potentially the lives of their employees and their customers/users) would be severely damaged.

When people make threats, and demands in order for those threats not to happen, you do not just hold them accountable to the demands, you also hold them accountable to those threats.

If someone went into a bank held it up at gunpoint, threatened to kill everyone, but then only took $100; you do not treat it like they just stole $100. You also treat it like they threatened people's lives.

And that is exactly what should be happening in this case.
Not only do you acknowledge the illegally obtained money from extortion and the other damage that extortion caused which he should be forced to pay back, you also hold him accountable to the threats he made.

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure I didn't say those scammers should get away with it?

No but it seems governments around the world are apathetic to victims of those crimes.
I don't think they know how.  How would you go about prosecuting some massively sophisticated, state sanctioned criminal organisation in Bulgaria, from the UK or wherever?

Have a look into the OneCoin scam - that took in $4 billion!   Which some say is the lower end and it could be nearer $10 billion.  Check out the BBC podcast on it, it is fascinating

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07nkd84/episodes/downloads

The shear amount of money they mafia boys at the top of this pyramid took in is staggering.  $100s of millions were extracted from the UK alone and the UK police went basically "Err, what?"

Also, the governments where the perpetrators live are probably happy with the crimes as it brings in millions to plug their economy lol
Absolutely.  In Russia, as long as you kick a percentage up and don't target Russian assets, you'll probably get a medal.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2020, 11:30:49 AM »

As for the Aspergers thing, my understanding from reading what some psychiatrists who examined him said, is that it is bad enough that it poses a legitimate concern surrounding him being extradited to an entirely unfamiliar country. At least that's what said psychiatrists reported at the court.

It can make extradition very problematic, my brother's aspergers was the reason he wasn't extradited, he can't cope without his support network (my parents) and was likely to commit suicide if extradited.

Extradition is not necessary if Cyprus can prosecute effectively, serving time elsewhere doesn't make the victims any less victims.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2020, 12:13:08 AM »

As for the Aspergers thing, my understanding from reading what some psychiatrists who examined him said, is that it is bad enough that it poses a legitimate concern surrounding him being extradited to an entirely unfamiliar country. At least that's what said psychiatrists reported at the court.

It can make extradition very problematic, my brother's aspergers was the reason he wasn't extradited, he can't cope without his support network (my parents) and was likely to commit suicide if extradited.

Extradition is not necessary if Cyprus can prosecute effectively, serving time elsewhere doesn't make the victims any less victims.

Yes but Jackblack seems to think that sending him into prison for as long as possible will pay the victims back most efficiently.

Member of the BOTD

JackBlack

« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2020, 02:39:50 AM »
And that would be an argument against extradition in general, not this specific case.
So why bother with extradition at all?

I would guess that it is because even if the foreign countries system was fair and prosecuted them fairly, the victims and potentially others would complain if the sentence wasn't as harsh as they think it should be; or in the cases where compensation can be awarded, if they weren't awarded the compensation they wanted.

Yes but Jackblack seems to think that sending him into prison for as long as possible will pay the victims back most efficiently.
Where have I indicated anything of the like?
All I have indicated was that as this crime involved servers in the US, it was a crime committed in the US, even if the hacker was located outside the US; and thus it is within the jurisdiction of the US, and thus there is nothing wrong with the US extraditing them to face trial in the US.
And that his crimes, with his use of blackmail to illegally obtain money is quite severe, especially with what he was blackmailing with.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2020, 07:47:34 AM »
It is an argument against extradition in general, most of the time people should be prosecuted in the country they reside in, extradition should be saved for the more serious offenses e.g. terrorism, murder, rape, trafficking. It's a waste of time and money to pursue extradition for non-violent offenses.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2020, 09:09:52 AM »
Non-violent activity should not be a crime in the first place.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2020, 12:35:49 PM »

So you're ok with it being legal for me to do anything at all to you or your property as long as it's not violent?

JackBlack

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2020, 02:18:19 PM »
extradition should be saved for the more serious offenses e.g. terrorism, murder, rape, trafficking. It's a waste of time and money to pursue extradition for non-violent offenses.
WHY?
If there is no need for extradition in the "lesser" offences, then there is no need for them in any case.
If you are happy for this hacker to be prosecuted in their own country, then you should also be fine with terrorists and the like being prosecuted in their own country.

As soon as you accept that extradition is acceptable for some crimes, then it raises the question of where do you draw the line. And like in lots of situations, violence is not the answer.

As has been pointed out plenty of times, violence is not required to make a crime serious.
Given what the hacker threatened, it was a serious crime.

So you are fine with people hacking you, releasing all your private details and taking all your money, possibly burning down your house (after making sure you aren't in it) and so on?
Completely destroying your life, but without any violence at all.
You don't think that should be a crime?

What about sexual harassment which doesn't involve physical contact?

You then have the more grey areas. What if someone holds you at gunpoint and makes demands.
Is that counted as violence even though they don't shoot? Or does it only become actual violence rather than the mere threat of it when they shoot?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 02:23:05 PM by JackBlack »

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2020, 02:51:53 PM »
He probably feels really bad about the little tricky game he was playing.Also, he is socially awkward.He would be miserable in jail. Why not just let him pay back the people he interacted with?

Pez changed my mind . . . international monetary crimes should not be punished.   ::)

Seriously, he needs to be passed between every jurisdiction in which he committed his crimes.
Convicted or acquitted. Then passed on to the next. 

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2020, 04:28:06 PM »
He probably feels really bad about the little tricky game he was playing.Also, he is socially awkward.He would be miserable in jail. Why not just let him pay back the people he interacted with?

Pez changed my mind . . . international monetary crimes should not be punished.   ::)

Seriously, he needs to be passed between every jurisdiction in which he committed his crimes.
Convicted or acquitted. Then passed on to the next.

No, he needs to given a trial for all of his crimes.  Some of them were dealt with in his country, and now he is going to the US to stand trial for the others.

You can argue if extradition is something we should be doing or not.

But I won't agree that you should get away free after X number of crimes.  If you commit enough, just be punished for the first few and let the rest slide?  No.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2020, 03:29:12 AM »

The problem is with the US, it wants to extradite from all other countries but the moment a US citizen is implicated, it says nope, even if the person admits to the police in the country involved it was them, is released on bail, suddenly they are whisked out of the country on diplomatic immunity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/22/world/europe/harry-dunn-anne-sacoolas-crash.html
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

JackBlack

« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2020, 04:15:11 AM »
The problem is with the US, it wants to extradite from all other countries but the moment a US citizen is implicated, it says nope, even if the person admits to the police in the country involved it was them, is released on bail, suddenly they are whisked out of the country on diplomatic immunity.
You mean someone who already had diplomatic immunity was whisked out of the country.
That is because they had diplomatic immunity which I think is a slap in the face to the justice system.

Meanwhile:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/details_of_numbers_of_us_citizen
So it seems the US does allow extradition of their citizens to foreign countries.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2020, 03:30:36 AM »
But I won't agree that you should get away free after X number of crimes.  If you commit enough, just be punished for the first few and let the rest slide?  No.

I hate those. 'Concurrent sentencing'

You commit all sorts of violent crimes like armed robbery, rape up to murder and you might get a few years for the robbery, another few years for the rape and 20 years for the murder

Your sentence? 20 years. Because you serve the time for the crimes of robbery and rape at the same time you serve your murder time. Absolute BS

America, where people can be sentenced to hundreds of years is how it should work. None of this concurrent crap

Peoples hope should not be diminished though. There is little point to locking away someone for decades for a string of non violent, petty offenses without a chance to work of some of their debt in jail.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2020, 04:10:55 AM »
I believe it has been shown that shorter sentences with re-integration activities lead to a better outcome for society (e.g. lower costs, less repeat offenders etc) but I think at least in the case of murder I am open for discussion.

Member of the BOTD

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2020, 06:33:34 PM »
I think prison should offer college and trade school.
Earn some time off of your sentence for graduating with a skill.

(Not because I'm compassionate, because I'm pragmatic.  ;))