CAD

• 43 Replies

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
CAD
« on: July 27, 2020, 02:37:12 PM »
I've recently been corresponding via online forum with some of those in Christians Against Dinosaurs. I have to admit their view is refreshingly zetetic. Has anyone else had any experiences with them?

Username

• Administrator
Re: CAD
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 02:37:30 PM »
I ask because some seem very against the flat earth idea, while others seem fairly rational.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 02:41:51 PM »
Are you suggesting that people who are very against the flat Earth idea are irrational?  That's strange because I have never thought of myself as being irrational.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 02:43:55 PM »
Where did I suggest that?

But yes, they are often irrational. I would imagine many people who are irrational might think themselves as rational. For example, is it rational to think it strange that since you have never thought of yourself as irrational, you are not?

I would contend it isn't rational at all.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 03:07:48 PM »
I've recently been corresponding via online forum with some of those in Christians Against Dinosaurs. I have to admit their view is refreshingly zetetic. Has anyone else had any experiences with them?

I've never heard of them, checking them out now. I like their logo:

They kind of remind me of https://birdsarentreal.com/

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 03:08:28 PM »
That would be disheartening.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 03:12:55 PM »
I ask because some seem very against the flat earth idea, while others seem fairly rational.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the above quote, you are saying that the others who are not very against the idea of the Earth being flat are rational.  So by default you are also saying that those who are very against the idea that the Earth is flat are being irrational.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 03:20:19 PM »

It's kind of hard to tell if it's a parody or not. Their website hasn't really been updated since 2018. One of their taglines is, "Join the fight against big paleo", which seems kind of hilarious.

And from their FB page, doesn't seem super Christian to me, but supposed to be funny, I guess:

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 03:24:35 PM »
Not necessarily.

To restate:

In the subset of CAD members, some are against the flat earth idea; they tend to be overall the ones acting irrationally aside from the point in question - but including it. For example, they might paint us as non-scientific - when it is undeniable that the flat earth ideology is firmly routed in science, and more so maybe methodology of science.

Those that are not tend to be the rational ones, aside from the issue of the flat earth.

I would not apply this to the whole of humanity though, and likewise I'd be hesitant to think I meant this universally within the group. Like any other belief, and as youtube has been so gracious to show us the last few years, we have our share of irrationals - and likewise our share of rationals.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 03:25:03 PM »

It's kind of hard to tell if it's a parody or not. Their website hasn't really been updated since 2018. One of their taglines is, "Join the fight against big paleo", which seems kind of hilarious.

And from their FB page, doesn't seem super Christian to me, but supposed to be funny, I guess:

Yeah I saw that one too. Of course, after 20 years here, I realize there are going to be trolls.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 03:33:03 PM »

Yeah I saw that one too. Of course, after 20 years here, I realize there are going to be trolls.

Agreed, but that was seemingly posted by CAD themselves. And looking at some of their other official CAD FB posts and their YT channel, I would have to say 100% parody.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 03:35:23 PM »
Unfortunate. Thanks for the heads up.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 03:38:56 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the above quote, you are saying that the others who are not very against the idea of the Earth being flat are rational.  So by default you are also saying that those who are very against the idea that the Earth is flat are being irrational.

Why are you derailing the thread with this? I'm sure you've seen some extremely irrational round earthers on this forum during your time here.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »
Though still, its interesting that it draws folks that actually do believe it, in spite of its intent.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »
Doesn't look real to me, but it's pretty much impossible to tell the difference when it comes to Facebook and purely online media.

Now if you want a real group that's spent millions of dollars promoting their views, the Creation Museum is the place to go. 

I personally wish dragons were real too, which they also promote so I kind of sympathize.

https://creationmuseum.org/dinosaurs-dragons/legends/

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 04:07:26 PM »
Never was a fan of him. I think they are featured though in a NY museum I'm on the board for. Not sure, I'm not very active with it.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 04:29:36 PM »
Doesn't look real to me, but it's pretty much impossible to tell the difference when it comes to Facebook and purely online media.

Now if you want a real group that's spent millions of dollars promoting their views, the Creation Museum is the place to go. 

I personally wish dragons were real too, which they also promote so I kind of sympathize.

https://creationmuseum.org/dinosaurs-dragons/legends/

Interesting Job application:

Job Title:  Museum Host

Items needed for possible employment:
- Salvation Testimony
- Creation Belief Statement
- Confirmation of your agreement with the AiG Statement of Faith

Bare ones soul to sell tickets and hot dogs.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 04:37:05 PM »
Though still, its interesting that it draws folks that actually do believe it, in spite of its intent.

Still kinda questionable regarding draw and intent. I'm not sure the numbers accurately translate to "belief":

- CAD has 23,254 FB followers
- Birds Aren't Real has 49,224 FB followers

I'm pretty sure most of the 49k BAR followers aren't "believers". You never know though.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 05:11:08 PM »
I'm not saying there are a lot of dinosaur deniers out there. I'm doubtful that out of our million facebook followers or whatever its up to, those are all believers. I'd wager most aren't. That doesn't say I don't get a message now and then from someone who believes.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 07:25:36 PM »
I'm not saying there are a lot of dinosaur deniers out there. I'm doubtful that out of our million facebook followers or whatever its up to, those are all believers. I'd wager most aren't. That doesn't say I don't get a message now and then from someone who believes.

Fair point. Agreed.

rvlvr

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 11:06:28 PM »
https://www.skeptic.com/insight/poes-trolls-and-dinosaur-deniers/

So is “Christians against Dinosaurs” a well-disguised parody, or the real thing? Several internet-savvy people commenting on my Facebook page dug up the source of the site, and found that the admins are not fundamentalist Christian groups, and instead some have associations with other parody sites.

It is a joke site.

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 11:52:58 PM »

But yes, they are often irrational. I would imagine many people who are irrational might think themselves as rational. For example, is it rational to think it strange that since you have never thought of yourself as irrational, you are not?

I would say ‘being against’ creatures who went extinct some 65 million years ago is pretty irrational. Afterall what is the point?

Does CAD organise protests outside natural history museums and send flying pickets to dinosaur excavations?

What does CAD hope to achieve?
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 12:35:26 AM »

I would say ‘being against’ creatures who went extinct some 65 million years ago is pretty irrational. Afterall what is the point?

Does CAD organise protests outside natural history museums and send flying pickets to dinosaur excavations?

I think we’ve learned that CAD is a parody site much like “birds aren’t real” or “flying spaghetti monster”. No harm, no foul.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2020, 12:51:23 AM »
I watched one of the vids and found as you said, it was "refreshingly zetetic". I've never studied zeteticism, but said to my self "now that is zetetetic" if i remember correctly.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 12:53:16 AM by faded mike »
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2020, 01:56:48 AM »
I actually agree With them on one of their main mission statements; Jurassic Park was indeed not a documentary. Though this is.

Really…..what a laugh!!!

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2020, 05:36:33 AM »
Dave, are you off your meds again?
We already had basically the exact same discussion 3 years ago. The facts havent changed since then.
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 08:23:27 AM »

They are a parody site but the real thing is run by religious fundamentalists.

To them, anything that contradicts the literal words of their version of the Bible has to be discredited.

They are pretty big in the United States, not so much in the rest of the world.  Even the Pope believes in the Big Bang and evolution. Science is only a problem for religion if you choose to make it one. The vast majority of the world can accept both.

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 09:19:20 AM »
It's almost surreal to know that despite all of the engineering and expertise that was required to develop the Internet, that there exists a group of people that use it to deny the existence of dinosaurs and the age of the Earth. Suggestive of an acceptance that palaeontology and computing are indeed different branches of science, but that they do not share a common core in mathematics. To the point that their computers could be powered by cheap nuclear energy, but they still don't believe that it is possible to model radioactive decay

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »
I watched one of the vids and found as you said, it was "refreshingly zetetic". I've never studied zeteticism, but said to my self "now that is zetetetic" if i remember correctly.

Seriously? Ok, here's one of their refreshingly zetetic videos. It constitutes a guy from CAD googling "Dinosaur Sex" and remarking on the links that came back as a result. There's nothing refreshing or zetetic about it. You decide:

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2020, 09:53:15 AM »
I think John learned a lesson. Search for computer aided design, not CAD.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.