Does Flat Earth Simulate a Round Earth?

• 4 Replies
Does Flat Earth Simulate a Round Earth?
« on: April 26, 2020, 07:59:51 AM »
Hey so are there parts of the flat earth which appear to 'simulate' a round earth? For example when trying to explain why the sun, moon and stars move the way they do (e.g. rotate around us). Could the explanation be that they simulate what we would see on a round earth?

It could also explain why the belief in a round earth is so prevalent.

jmf

Re: Does Flat Earth Simulate a Round Earth?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 08:20:51 AM »
Not quite how I'd put it. Both GE and FE need to explain clearly and universally observable phenomena.

For example, if you make the observation: "the sun moves across the sky during the day,"
you then could ask: "how would this be explained if the Earth were flat?" and "how would this be explained if the Earth were a globe?"
and would arrive at the two models' explanations of the sun's movement.

So it's not that "they simulate what we would see on a round earth." It's just that they simulate what we see.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 08:27:53 AM by jmf »

jmf

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 08:26:49 AM »
I think this also highlights the difference between different approaches to science / different scientific methods.
One might start with an observation, then seek to fit it within the bounds of what they have previously believed, and find an explanation that fits their belief from there.
Another might start with an observation, and then seek to see which of the available beliefs it fits, and from there determine what their "correct belief" should be.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 08:28:55 AM »
jmf, you're in the Q&A section of the forum. Be sure your replies answer the question that was asked. If you want to have a discussion start a thread in Flat Earth General or Flat Earth Debate.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

jmf

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 08:30:58 AM »
Be sure your replies answer the question that was asked.

Apologies. I believed I did, the poster asked "are there parts of the flat earth which appear to 'simulate' a round earth," and I replied that FE does not simulate GE, but rather what we observe in reality.