Do atoms have colour?

• 24 Replies

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Do atoms have colour?
« on: July 22, 2020, 04:47:44 AM »

Another cool video by Sciencephile the AI   8)

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
Re: Do atoms have colour?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 06:50:46 AM »
I'm away from home and I only have data connection (no WiFi) so I am afraid to click videos, what is it about?
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 06:54:13 AM »
I imagine it has to do with spectral lines?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 06:54:35 AM »
I'm away from home and I only have data connection so I am afraid to click videos, what is it about?

It's a short YouTube science educational video that's also very humorous despite the monotonic computer voice  8). You wouldn't need to see this in a high bitrate as it uses pictures so it would take bugger all data if viewed at the lowest bitrate

Basically this one goes into explaining about colour and answers the question 'do atoms have colour'

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Pezevenk

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 06:56:12 AM »
I'm away from home and I only have data connection so I am afraid to click videos, what is it about?

It's a short YouTube science educational video that's also very humorous despite the monotonic computer voice  8). You wouldn't need to see this in a high bitrate as it uses pictures so it would take bugger all data if viewed at the lowest bitrate

Basically this one goes into explaining about colour and answers the question 'do atoms have colour'
Right, but what's the verdict? I might watch it later when I am alone if it's not long.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 06:57:50 AM »

Right, but what's the verdict? I might watch it later when I am alone if it's not long.

They dont have colour because an atom is smaller than the wavelength of light

Know your place

Pezevenk

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 07:00:27 AM »

That's kind of a weird verdict, since atoms can and do reflect light.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 07:01:40 AM »

That's kind of a weird verdict, since atoms can and do reflect light.

It does go into that as well  :)

Know your place

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 07:03:04 AM »

Without having watched it, my guess is that atoms are responsible for color but don't actually have color.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Pezevenk

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 07:10:25 AM »
If someone asked me that question, I'd probably say yeah, you could say they do have color. If we were to simplify what is going on (and it's not exactly accurate) we could say that atoms scatter light when the electrons absorb photons which kick them into higher energy states, and then they fall back to the ground state by emitting photons. Each atom has different energy states which results in the emitted photons being of different energies, with certain probabilities. The color of the atom could be equivalent to the question, if we shone light containing every frequency (white light), what would the average frequency emitted be? But maybe the vid has a different opinion.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 12:34:06 PM »
I’d say no.  Because at this scale colour is a pretty meaningless term.  There are various energy states and any one atom could absorb or emit photons at different frequencies.  You can’t tell which atom is going to do what, so how could you say what colour an individual atom it is? 

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 01:11:10 PM »
I’d say no.  Because at this scale colour is a pretty meaningless term.  There are various energy states and any one atom could absorb or emit photons at different frequencies.  You can’t tell which atom is going to do what, so how could you say what colour an individual atom it is?

There's a number of cool things it goes into, such as the emission spectra of the elements

Or discusses how depending on how you arrange the atoms or molecules can depend on the colour. Such as carbon in a lattice you can get diamonds or a hexagon and you have graphite, which obviously changes what colour you see it as.

And supposedly why we see the 'visible light' portion of the spectrum is our ancestors evolved in the water and that portion of light is transparent in water. Infrared or UV make the water opaque and would not be good to spot predators or prey

He said if some organisms evolved in a sulphur lake on a planet orbiting a neutron star they may be able to see x-ray lol

Anyway, short fun video. Watch if you get a chance.  8)

All his videos are quick and humourous

Know your place

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 04:01:54 PM »

Another cool video by Sciencephile the AI   8)
Thanks for this great and useful video that lets us understand why it looks red as the sun goes down. Let's see if someone will do it before me?  ^-^
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Pezevenk

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 02:26:47 AM »
When I get back home I am considering doing a 3d simulation in Unreal Engine of how hydrogen atoms (the simplest possible) really behave according to QM and maybe some more complicated atoms too using Visscher's method. It's kind of surprising how it behaves, the mean position of the electron is actually sort of what you'd expect from classical mechanics (ie a nice, planet-like orbit, although not all orbits are permitted). However, the most likely distance the electron occupies is NOT the mean distance, it is smaller than that. In fact, the probability of finding the electron somewhere close to the nucleus is much denser than finding it far from it (at least for the ground state), but it cancels out because the electron can be found much further from the nucleus than what is usually considered the radius of the atom. Usually the radius is the hydrogen atom is considered the Bohr radius, which is the most likely distance the electron can be found to have, but the mean distance of the electron is actually 50% larger than the Bohr radius, and the probability that the electron is found somewhere within the Bohr radius is only around 35%.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 02:38:22 AM »
Also I watched the vid, and... Yeah, I get what he's saying but it's not 100% true, as in, yeah, it's true for bulk reflection, however Rayleigh scattering exists and it is a phenomenon when individual atoms can "reflect" light.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 02:42:07 AM »

Pez, what are you going to be when you grow up?

Pezevenk

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 02:43:19 AM »

Old.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 02:45:40 AM »

Old.

Hahaha, you're fucking awesome.   ;D

Pezevenk

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 02:50:34 AM »
For real though, I'm still at uni studying applied maths and physics. It's a 5 year program that counts as a Master, and most people finish it in more than that. I hope I finish it in 5 but we'll see. After that I'm planning to do a PhD, I'm not sure what it's gonna be on but I'm considering it's either gonna be in molecular/atomic quantum mechanics/nuclear physics, theoretical physics (in particular quantum field theory and elementary particles) or possibly applications of mathematical methods of functional analysis in physics. Of the 3, the first is probably the best for finding employment but we'll see. Also some PhDs pay you a decent amount.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 03:16:07 AM »

Old.
I wouldn't bother.  Give it a rethink.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2020, 03:21:04 AM »
For real though, I'm still at uni studying applied maths and physics.

I have every confidence in you.   

Pezevenk

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2020, 03:24:53 AM »
For real though, I'm still at uni studying applied maths and physics.

I have every confidence in you.

Well too bad you're not my Mechanics 4 professor then!

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2020, 03:28:19 AM »

You don't get a free pass you dumb bitch.   ;D

Pezevenk

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2020, 03:34:06 AM »

You don't get a free pass you dumb bitch.   ;D
Well, when only 18% of the class passes, and the top grades are one 8 and three 7s (out of 10) with the average grade being 2.2, it's... Not really the fault of the students only imo.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2020, 03:36:28 AM »
I'm just jealous, OK?

Carry on.     ::)