Question about atmospheric motion.

• 91 Replies

JJA

• Math is math!
Re: Question about atmospheric motion.
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2020, 04:01:25 AM »
But what happens when you add 1600 km/h spin? Mess. Atoms need to fall in angle, defying gravity, in order to bounce in other angle to keep up. If they were bouncing in 90° Earth whoud have rotater under them.

Not at all.

If you are on a train moving fast and you bounce a ball downward, it comes right back up, it doesn't go flying backwards at high speed.

That's because when you throw it it already has the same velocity as you and the train, your downward throw is added to it's motion.

Same with air molecules, they are moving along with the surface of the Earth, so gravity pulls them down in addition to their existing velocity.

You have to think of being in trains, planes and automobiles as that's something you can relate to. They are great examples of how you can be moving, but feel like you are not. But an outside observer sees that you are.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
Re: Question about atmospheric motion.
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2020, 05:35:19 PM »
But what happens when you add 1600 km/h spin? Mess. Atoms need to fall in angle, defying gravity, in order to bounce in other angle to keep up. If they were bouncing in 90° Earth whoud have rotater under them.

Not at all.

If you are on a train moving fast and you bounce a ball downward, it comes right back up, it doesn't go flying backwards at high speed.

That's because when you throw it it already has the same velocity as you and the train, your downward throw is added to it's motion.

Same with air molecules, they are moving along with the surface of the Earth, so gravity pulls them down in addition to their existing velocity.

You have to think of being in trains, planes and automobiles as that's something you can relate to. They are great examples of how you can be moving, but feel like you are not. But an outside observer sees that you are.

Just to add on with a visual, one of my faves I've posted before...

CB, like this: