The flat earther sees what's true

• 127 Replies

JJA

• Math is math!
Re: The flat earther sees what's true
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2020, 01:10:44 PM »
Did you know the Earth could be a flat disc that's convex in shape? It would have curvature while still being flat. I'm not sure why people think a flat earth has to be like a 2D shape ::)

Now I'm curious. How can the surface of an object be both curved and flat?

That's not possible in any geometry I'm aware of.  Does this surface have a name?

Or are you talking about a dome?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2020, 01:24:42 PM »
Did you know the Earth could be a flat disc that's convex in shape? It would have curvature while still being flat. I'm not sure why people think a flat earth has to be like a 2D shape ::)

That's not possible in any geometry I'm aware of.  Does this surface have a name?

If you have a pair of specs, it may have a slight curve to it. Not enough to wrap around all the way but the lenses are still flattish

Now imagine something the size of the Earth. A slight convex shape would explain a horizon and why you cant see your neighbouring country on the clearest of days

It also can explain why pictures from space dont show the 'ends of the Earth'

A 'flat earth' does not necessitate a 2D flatness with zero curve. Why cant there be any degree of convex?

PS Your convex example is deliberately extreme, exaggerated, clearly what no one is talking about and stupid

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2020, 01:25:05 PM »
Your answer, your words:

"You and I are possibly ~17,000km apart or more. Of course, looking at an object in the sky will give us a different view of it."

Do you honestly think that answers why your view of the moon is upside down in relation to my view?

You also say:-

"Depends on what information comes to light next week. I'm not going to pull out a century old book and say 'but but, here it says...'"

Where do you get your information from? Is it a big secret?

I thought you were all about the truth, but so far its been rather absent from any of your posts as you appear to be reluctant to give any preferring to lapse into abuse.

It's no secret. Maybe if you opened your eyes and mind you would see.

And yes, we would see the moon differently due to the distance. Aint no doubt about that.

I see, I see. Kinda like how a flat disc could also be convex in shape, to the extent the edges meet up and form a ball? I like where you're going with this, Shifter! If only for those pesky mountains and valleys, it could be a truly "flat" earth.

Sea level all the way! Or is that, "see" level? (Shifter, have you written this, straight after one of your night shifts?)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2020, 01:26:03 PM »
Your answer, your words:

"You and I are possibly ~17,000km apart or more. Of course, looking at an object in the sky will give us a different view of it."

Do you honestly think that answers why your view of the moon is upside down in relation to my view?

You also say:-

"Depends on what information comes to light next week. I'm not going to pull out a century old book and say 'but but, here it says...'"

Where do you get your information from? Is it a big secret?

I thought you were all about the truth, but so far its been rather absent from any of your posts as you appear to be reluctant to give any preferring to lapse into abuse.

It's no secret. Maybe if you opened your eyes and mind you would see.

And yes, we would see the moon differently due to the distance. Aint no doubt about that.

I see, I see. Kinda like how a flat disc could also be concave in shape, to the extent the edges meet up and form a ball? I like where you're going with this, Shifter! If only for those pesky mountains and valleys, it could be a truly "flat" earth.

Sea level all the way! Or is that, "see" level? (Shifter, have you written this, straight after one of your night shifts?)

I'm still on my night shift. Just half an hour to go!!  8)

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2020, 01:27:06 PM »
I can tell! You can always tell when I'm on the night shift, too!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2020, 01:30:09 PM »
I can tell! You can always tell when I'm on the night shift, too!

lol  8) nice! I'd say 95% of all my posts are done from 'work'

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2020, 01:35:35 PM »

If you have a pair of specs, it may have a slight curve to it. Not enough to wrap around all the way but the lenses are still flattish

Now imagine something the size of the Earth. A slight convex shape would explain a horizon and why you cant see your neighbouring country on the clearest of days

A 'flat earth' does not necessitate a 2D flatness with zero curve. Why cant there be any degree of convex?

PS Your convex example is deliberately extreme, exaggerated, clearly what no one is talking about and stupid

Always with the insults.

You said "curvature while still being flat" not "flattish".  Pick your words with care, they do have meanings.  If you use the wrong words it's not my fault.

The problem with your idea is that it still has an edge, and on the real world there is no edge.

What do you mean pictures from space don't show the ends of the Earth? Where exactly are these ends?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2020, 01:37:33 PM »

Always with the insults.

You said "curvature while still being flat" not "flattish".  Pick your words with care, they do have meanings.  If you use the wrong words it's not my fault.

The problem with your idea is that it still has an edge, and on the real world there is no edge.

What do you mean pictures from space don't show the ends of the Earth? Where exactly are these ends?

I didn't insult you (at least not in this thread), I insulted your picture.

That image you have as proof is just a silly computer animation.

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2020, 01:54:30 PM »

Always with the insults.

Those are real images, from a real satellite, of our real planet.  And you avoided answering any questions. Your trolling is getting boring. :(

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2020, 01:59:25 PM »

Always with the insults.

Those are real images, from a real satellite, of our real planet.  And you avoided answering any questions. Your trolling is getting boring. :(

You didn't ask any questions. You gave me some advice I won't take. A statement I don't agree with. And what almost seemed like a question but then showed me a picture of a spinning ball that obviously has no ends so not a real question

Your trolling is what's tiring. And just like your friend Timeisup, I'll no longer allow your post count to be padded by me in this thread any further for the trolling. Good day sir

Know your place

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2020, 02:01:37 PM »
Ya'll should take a look out of your window. Then tell me, did you see a curve or no?
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2020, 02:13:08 PM »

Always with the insults.

Shifter, the stooges on here we're told the image is real by NASA of course. They have no alternative but to believe.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

JackBlack

« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2020, 02:26:10 PM »
As already said (I guess reading is not your strong suit) it's not that we 'know the truth', its more in this instance, we 'know we are being lied to'.
So you admit your OP is pure garbage and that FEers do not see the truth?

Also, if you don't know anything, how do you know that you are being lied to.
Surely you need to know absolutely everything about the universe to come to that conclusion.

Quit with the double standard.
If REers can't know, you can't either.

Did you know the Earth could be a flat disc that's convex in shape? It would have curvature while still being flat.
What, do you mean curved like part of a cylinder, where it is curved along one principle axis only, having 0 gaussian curvature and thus can be deemed flat, where you use fundamentally different meanings of curved and flat?
Otherwise that is a direct contradiction.

Flattish is not flat.
Glasses are not flat.

i.e. similar to the FE model of the ancients were Earth was only a few hundred km at most.
The problem is that with the required curvature and the size of Earth, it isn't just a slight bulge over a mostly flat disc.

Why is your view of the moon upside down in relation to my view? You would have to be a lunatic to not answer such a simple question!
Again, why ask such a trivial question?
Take a photo or magazine or book or something and place it on a table.
Now look at it from one side of the table. Then go around to the other side of the table and look at it.
Is it still the same way up?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2020, 02:27:42 PM »
Always with the insults.

The above image is a "computer animation" but composed of genuine photographs taken by the DSCOVR EPIC at the L1 Lagrange point between the Earth and the Sun.
But there are hundreds of thousands of individual photos of Earth from space eg:

But they all debunk the flat Earth so flat-Earthers must declare them all fake, "CGI" like all other evidence against the flat Earth.

It's all supposed to part of this stupid "conspiracy to hide the true shape of the Earth".

So your flat Earth needs a massive conspiracy to support it!

Far from "The flat earther sees what's true" the truth is that the flat Earther hides from any evidence against his world-view.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2020, 02:42:58 PM »
What's wrong with a flat earth being 'flattish'? As long as overall it's flat as you imagine it

I mean how many people say the earth is a sphere when it's only really 'sphere-ish'? Is it a perfect sphere, no.

Stop with the double standard

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2020, 04:22:06 PM »

You didn't ask any questions. You gave me some advice I won't take. A statement I don't agree with. And what almost seemed like a question but then showed me a picture of a spinning ball that obviously has no ends so not a real question

Your trolling is what's tiring. And just like your friend Timeisup, I'll no longer allow your post count to be padded by me in this thread any further for the trolling. Good day sir

You really have gone full Flat Earther, haven't you.

Now all images from space are fake.

NASA is run by the devil.

Space isn't real.

I did ask a question, if the earth is a sorta-flat bunt actually curved disk thing, where is the edge?  I guess you missed it.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2020, 06:33:32 PM »
What's wrong with a flat earth being 'flattish'? As long as overall it's flat as you imagine it
You can look through your tinted glasses and call the Earth what you like - it's not my problem!

Quote from: Shifter
I mean how many people say the earth is a sphere when it's only really 'sphere-ish'? Is it a perfect sphere, no.
Surely you aren't as ignorant of these things as you seem?

But the Earth is so close to being spherical that the usual comment when people see a photograph is "but isn't it an ''oblate spheroid?"
Like this:

And the photo wasn't taken by NASA! The Equatorial diameter is only 0.3% larger than the Polar diameter.

Quote from: Shifter
Stop with the double standard
Who has this double standard?

rvlvr

« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2020, 11:14:16 PM »
Dude the information is out there. Just get out and learn
This is the lowest form of answer, and always seen in the case of conspiracy theorists trying to explain their position.

What it really means is "I have nothing, I do not know much about the thing in question, and even though this is becoming clearer to me, I will not yield".

« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2020, 12:19:28 AM »

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2020, 12:30:36 AM »
This is the lowest form of answer, and always seen in the case of conspiracy theorists trying to explain their position.

What it really means is "I have nothing, I do not know much about the thing in question, and even though this is becoming clearer to me, I will not yield".

He was quite broad with his question so the answer is not 'the lowest form'

He asked 'where do you get your information?' That's awfully broad. It's not 'where did you learn such and such?'

Information. 

Try books, internet, school, the great outdoors, your own observations, experiments etc etc.

So yeah, it's all 'out there'. Maybe he should get off his arse, quit to ridicule others and get out to the real world

If you ask something as broad as 'information' font expect an answer that's narrow. It will be just as broad

Also quit trolling the thread with your nonsense. You thought you had a cool set up going to use 'oh that's the lowest form of answer' but you failed. Now you look like a troll. Next time you want to use that line (or any others), make sure the situation warrants it rather than pissing it off to the wind

Know your place

« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2020, 03:32:54 AM »

He asked 'where do you get your information?' That's awfully broad. It's not 'where did you learn such and such?'

Information. 

Try books, internet, school, the great outdoors, your own observations, experiments etc etc.

So yeah, it's all 'out there'. Maybe he should get off his arse, quit to ridicule others and get out to the real world

If you ask something as broad as 'information' font expect an answer that's narrow. It will be just as broad

This doesn’t fit with your usual stance that unless we know everything, we know nothing.

You were saying earlier that we need a complete model of the universe to know something simple like the shape of the earth (paraphrased).  So what good are any of your books, experiments, observations, etc without a completely model of the universe.

Is it possible to actually determine anything or not?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2020, 03:53:44 AM »

Information. 

This doesn’t fit with your usual stance that unless we know everything, we know nothing.

You were saying earlier that we need a complete model of the universe to know something simple like the shape of the earth (paraphrased).  So what good are any of your books, experiments, observations, etc without a completely model of the universe.

Is it possible to actually determine anything or not?

Of course. All these things are still important. It's just reliance on them as being the God given truth is stupid. Never rest on your laurels.

The "unless we know everything, we know nothing" is rab putting words in my mouth to exaggerate me in such a way it looks like nonsense

Its more like, "The more we think we know, the more we realise we dont know" or "There will always be more questions. Every answer leads to more questions" In other words, we are always on the backfoot in knowledge. 1 step forward, 10 steps backwards. Such is the scale of the universe

If a spherical Earth works for your observations, great. But dont end the observations there. Don't rest on it content you have figured it all out. Don't tell people 'dont do any experiments looking for other dimensions or the nature of our universe because we can be quite comfortable with what we know now"

Scientists have spent a lot of money and time testing the simulated universe theory. Such as here

https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/physicists-find-we-re-not-living-in-a-computer-simulation/

Now if we were smart, we would not assume the conclusion in this test is the end of the matter. We should test again. test using different methods and ideas etc. Not just pack it up satisfied we have an answer

Or the holographic universe theory such as here https://www.wired.co.uk/article/our-universe-is-a-hologram

Or looking for extra dimensions using gravitational waves https://phys.org/news/2018-09-gravitational-dose-reality-extra-dimensions.html

All these things are good to do. Someone has an idea - no matter how far fetched and it gets tested. However no one should be comforted by the conclusions of any 1 test no matter which way it falls. Humanity should indeed spend it's existence, testing and testing again and again

And one other thing - we should assume with every test that our understanding of physics may be wrong. It may not apply to certain conditions we are testing in. If you do a test and follow a very rigid, inflexible set of rules, then it may end up leading to missed answers and opportunities

For example e=mc2? We should be trying to break it. We should not assume it is universally applied everywhere in every condition

Know your place

rvlvr

« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2020, 04:04:41 AM »
All these things are good to do. Someone has an idea - no matter how far fetched and it gets tested. However no one should be comforted by the conclusions of any 1 test no matter which way it falls. Humanity should indeed spend it's existence, testing and testing again and again.
I believe this is pretty much what is happening.

No idea why you think we are stagnant.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2020, 04:18:11 AM »
All these things are good to do. Someone has an idea - no matter how far fetched and it gets tested. However no one should be comforted by the conclusions of any 1 test no matter which way it falls. Humanity should indeed spend it's existence, testing and testing again and again.
I believe this is pretty much what is happening.

No idea why you think we are stagnant.

Well the members on this forum for one. I have postulated all the above theories such as holographic, simulation and extra dimensions only to be met with ridicule and what a stupid thought it is.

Science is constantly evolving and learning. So who is to say who is definitively right. If there was a test back when I was in Primary school to name the planets - and I forgot or didn't mention about Pluto, I'd be marked down. If I said 'Pluto is not a planet - too small - it has not cleared its orbital path', I'd be considered stupid. Nowadays if I mentioned Pluto as a planet, I'd be told I am wrong

Know your place

rvlvr

« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2020, 04:23:40 AM »
Well the members on this forum for one. I have postulated all the above theories such as holographic, simulation and extra dimensions only to be met with ridicule and what a stupid thought it is.
I just yesterday read about the simulation hypothesis as I remembered it from somewhere. Quite many articles about it, and my understanding is there are people out there trying and thinking of ways to find evidence for and against.

So, again, there is a lot of brain power harnessed to figuring out stuff.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2020, 04:36:05 AM »
I just yesterday read about the simulation hypothesis as I remembered it from somewhere. Quite many articles about it, and my understanding is there are people out there trying and thinking of ways to find evidence for and against.

So, again, there is a lot of brain power harnessed to figuring out stuff.

Again, this is good. People on the forum here seem to assert they have the answers already and we are NOT in a simulated universe. You see my answer to this (and other theories (to which I get a lot of shit for) is that 'we dont know that'

That is why I say to give you a definitive answer with 100% degree of confidence is that we need to have the understanding of the universe. Without it, we simply dont know. Yet, such a response has people claim I am trolling. Whatever

Lets think of a puzzle. We know it is a huge puzzle. Perhaps it has infinite pieces. We are tasked to complete the puzzle. We are not given the pieces. We have to find the pieces. And we aren't given an idea of what the finished puzzle looks like until we complete it. But given we dont know how many pieces there are and we have to find them all, it makes it hard to finish the puzzle. This is how I think the universe and trying to understand it is like

Know your place

« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2020, 04:43:59 AM »
Ok let's apply your logic then.  Let's say we don't know anything for sure. Where 'for sure' means with 100% confidence. That doesn't stop people having opinions or beliefs in one thing or another.

What then is your belief about what shape the Earth is in terms of being round or flat?  It's pretty clear from each of your posts that you appear to believe the Earth is flat so what factors have influenced your opinion? I am talking about normal, every day observations that we can all make.  Not what the shape would appear to be from the point of view of a passing photon.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 04:49:16 AM by Solarwind »

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2020, 05:08:31 AM »
Ok let's apply your logic then.  Let's say we don't know anything for sure. Where 'for sure' means with 100% confidence. That doesn't stop people having opinions or beliefs in one thing or another.

What then is your belief about what shape the Earth is in terms of being round or flat?  And what factors have influenced your opinion?

^ This guy knows how to ask a question (take note Timeisup)

Lets start with 'what factors have influenced your opinion'

Well when I first came here to this forum I was a round earther. And I was just as much a dick to the flat earthers here as many other people were. But over time, I saw the behaviour for what it was. I started to listen to the flat earthers here. And while I didn't necessarily agree with their views, I respected it. I then began to question everything myself. I was no longer content with assuming everything in the book or everything rabinoz was saying was correct. So I started asking things like 'what if'. I began to try and view the universe, from different points of view. What does it look like from this reference? What if the dimension of time was not a thing? Or not linear? What if our theories on gravity are far more incomplete than we thought? What if our models of physics have 'answers' that are actually wrong? And so on.

The title 'the flat earther sees what's true' needs to be taken in context with the short part of the video (not the whole movie). They see what we are not told to see. They do not see what the mainstream sees. They think of their own will and their own mind.

And as for the first part of your question

"What then is your belief about what shape the Earth is in terms of being round or flat?"

I stake my flag on a flat earth with the caveat that I am not saying 100% that is the shape of the world - end of story. Does a spherical model work for us humble humans toiling away our meager quaint lives? Yes. Does it mean that that is the end of it? Well not if your a fan of science, learning and discovery. If you take an outrageous sounding viewpoint, as long as you are open minded, it lends to you hitting the books and learning more. Even if your quest is futile, the fact you got out and tried to learn and defend (even if it turns out was indefensible) will have netted you more knowledge than simply accepting what you overheard on the idiot box (TV) and that's that.

We all have beliefs and asking someone why do they have faith in what they do will never give someone a concise answer to be honest. That is the nature of faith. Ask the Pope why he believes and follows Jesus as opposed to Buddha. You probably will walk away as dumbfounded as when you started. I am still into science and discovery and always open to new ideas. Maybe I am fighting a futile battle. It doesn't matter. Life is about how you live, not the destination. As long as you like and are content with it, who cares if your belief was ultimately wrong

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2020, 05:22:37 AM »
That is why I say to give you a definitive answer with 100% degree of confidence is that we need to have the understanding of the universe. Without it, we simply dont know. Yet, such a response has people claim I am trolling. Whatever

No, it's because you say we can't know the shape of the planet we live on because we don't understand stuff in the far reaches of the universe.

It's because we will never, ever understand and know everything. But you put that as a condition to understand anything, so you are saying we can't ever know anything.

No, I can't know anything with 100% confidence but so what?  I know if I jump out of a window on the 80th floor I'm going to die. Do I know this for 100%?  No.  But are you willing to jump out that window just because you don't know for SURE it will kill you?

Of course not. And anyone saying "Well you can't know for SURE... DO IT!" would be called crazy.

Just if you claim we can't know the Earth is round because we don't understand the entire universe.

That's what makes you seem like a troll, your every answer is "Well we don't know everything so EVERYTHING you say is wrong!"  When all your arguments eventually boil down to some philosophical statement about the limits of perception or or maybe we are in a simulation or maybe aliens are feeding our brains false data... yeah. That's trolling. It's how every single conversation winds up, and we have heard it a hundred times already. It's an interesting discussion but you can't just force it into every single discussion. There is a reason we have philosophy and science, and only mix them sparingly. They serve different needs.

« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2020, 06:12:49 AM »
Of course. All these things are still important. It's just reliance on them as being the God given truth is stupid. Never rest on your laurels.

No one claims they are.

The "unless we know everything, we know nothing" is rab putting words in my mouth to exaggerate me in such a way it looks like nonsense

Rab quoted you in another post, specifically this one:

No, you can't understand a simple question, "what evidence would you accept" and have spent days being unable to understand it and just confusedly repeating the same non-answer over and over.
I find it rather amusing that I get pretty much the same type of stonewalling whenever I ask FE'ers what evidence they would accept that the earth is round.

Oh that's easy

First present us with the complete works and nature of the universe in its entirety. Then we can have a look at the data and see.

We already know though from a photons perspective the Earth would 'appear' to be pretty flat. As would the entire universe. Who is to say that a photons perspective is not the default view and we are just an anomaly? Until you get that data we cant be sure. So dont bank on any particular shape

Not that I need him to tell me your position, as you say stuff like this all the time.

Its more like, "The more we think we know, the more we realise we dont know" or "There will always be more questions. Every answer leads to more questions"

That’s what happens in science.

In other words, we are always on the backfoot in knowledge. 1 step forward, 10 steps backwards. Such is the scale of the universe

Er, no.  What steps backwards?

When we talk about about the shape of the earth, early civilizations thought it was flat (which it how it arguably appears when you only look from one location), then as people travelled further, they realized it must be round, then through observation of the stars and planets, realized the sun was the center of the solar system, etc.

Each step was a step forward, that provides a better fit for the available evidence, so the previous model was superseded.   It’s the flat earth movement that’s trying to go backwards, right back to the beginning.

If a spherical Earth works for your observations, great. But dont end the observations there. Don't rest on it content you have figured it all out. Don't tell people 'dont do any experiments looking for other dimensions or the nature of our universe because we can be quite comfortable with what we know now"

Well, that’s the problem isn’t it.  Observations show the earth is spherical and orbiting the sun.  For the heliocentric model to be overturned, flat earthers would need to explain ALL the observations at least as well as the heliocentric model, but I’m afraid they can’t make the really basic stuff work.   So instead we get denial of very simple principles and conspiracy theories. 

Scientists have spent a lot of money and time testing the simulated universe theory. Such as here

https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/physicists-find-we-re-not-living-in-a-computer-simulation/

Now if we were smart, we would not assume the conclusion in this test is the end of the matter. We should test again. test using different methods and ideas etc. Not just pack it up satisfied we have an answer

Or the holographic universe theory such as here https://www.wired.co.uk/article/our-universe-is-a-hologram

Or looking for extra dimensions using gravitational waves https://phys.org/news/2018-09-gravitational-dose-reality-extra-dimensions.html

All these things are good to do. Someone has an idea - no matter how far fetched and it gets tested. However no one should be comforted by the conclusions of any 1 test no matter which way it falls. Humanity should indeed spend it's existence, testing and testing again and again

Perhaps you should show this level of appreciation for all the other things scientists have spent far more time and money testing?

And one other thing - we should assume with every test that our understanding of physics may be wrong. It may not apply to certain conditions we are testing in. If you do a test and follow a very rigid, inflexible set of rules, then it may end up leading to missed answers and opportunities

For example e=mc2? We should be trying to break it. We should not assume it is universally applied everywhere in every condition

Actually there’s a very good reason to assume that it’s a universal law. 

Having assumptions isn’t inherently bad.  However, they aren’t set in stone, and can be overturned with sufficient evidence to the contrary.  I’m sure there are physicists actively trying to break it.  In fact making assumptions is necessary to test a hypothesis.

What it’s really about is the  degree of confidence of various assumptions.  Something that’s been corroborated over and over is far less likely to the cause of anomalous results than something that hasn’t. Particularly when the evidence is from multiple fields arriving at the same conclusion (consilience of evidence).  So the first thing to look for is what other assumptions or errors might have been made to produce that result.

When looking at the shape of the earth, the amount of corroborating evidence is just absurd.  There’s entire fields of science that would need to be completely thrown out or rewritten- physics, astronomy, geology, meteorology, etc. along with how they are used for everyday activities such as telecommunications, navigation and travel.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.