10 years of the sun's history in 6 minutes - 2010 to 2020

• 7 Replies

JJA

• Math is math!
10 years of the sun's history in 6 minutes - 2010 to 2020
« on: June 26, 2020, 05:08:26 AM »
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2020/watch-a-10-year-time-lapse-of-sun-from-nasa-s-sdo

I wish they would have filled in the missing frames, the blinking is a bit distracting but I guess they were worried they would get accused of doctoring the video.   ::)

But it's an amazing video.  Fascinating to watch the sun hit it's solar maximum with all the activity and then quiet back down.  I'm looking forward to the next cycle so I can get more sunspot pictures, hopefully with upgraded equipment by then.

Crazy to watch those flares spring up. 

You can even download HD videos of it.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
Re: 10 years of the sun's history in 6 minutes - 2010 to 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 06:28:53 AM »

Cool!....Well, hot.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 05:10:40 PM »
I realize I am necroing a post here, but I just stumbled across this and wanted to say thanks for sharing and WOW. Amazing to see the sun in that kind of detail as it goes through it's cycle of activity. I haven't seen the whole thing yet, but some of the intense activity between the 13 and 15 minute marks were enough to get my 7 year old to stop what she was doing and start watching right along with me... and more importantly, start asking questions about how it works and why it looks the way it does.

Anyway. All of that to say, great link and this was a fun thing to spend some time watching.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 06:22:19 PM »
I realize I am necroing a post here, but I just stumbled across this and wanted to say thanks for sharing and WOW. Amazing to see the sun in that kind of detail as it goes through it's cycle of activity. I haven't seen the whole thing yet, but some of the intense activity between the 13 and 15 minute marks were enough to get my 7 year old to stop what she was doing and start watching right along with me... and more importantly, start asking questions about how it works and why it looks the way it does.

Anyway. All of that to say, great link and this was a fun thing to spend some time watching.

I agree, absolutely mesmerizing. No matter what anyone thinks about how big or how far away it is, Sol is a magnificent beast of inspiration and wonderment. Super cool to see it from a kid's perspective. And super cool just to see it as is.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 07:15:07 PM »
6 minutes huh? I feel like I've been stuck here for an hour

Here is the highlights

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 12:39:43 AM »

Thank you.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 04:47:59 AM »
There was an app you could download (I don't remember what it was called exactly, I think Helioviewer or something similar) which let you make your own time lapses and put whatever filter you want from whatever observatory at whichever time, also to zoom in etc. It was very interesting.
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 04:56:39 AM »

The activity was during the solar maximum that comes about every 11 years. That was a fun time to take photos, I've got a lot of good sunspot pictures from back then. Can't wait for the next one.