Forum Rules Question

• 6 Replies

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
Forum Rules Question
« on: June 24, 2020, 07:07:17 AM »
I've read the Forum Rules and it doesn't explicitly say it, but is advocating for another person to break the Forum Rules a violation.

I moderate a forum for a browser based game and advocating rule violations is viewed as a rule violation, but we have that specifically listed within our rules.  Just want to know the official stance.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
Re: Forum Rules Question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 07:10:01 AM »
Which rule are you referring to exactly?
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 07:17:55 AM »
It's not spelled out, as you already noted. On the face of it, it almost seems like something that should even need to be stated. And if I had to guess, I'd say the event that prompted this inquiry is from a certain few posts that were made in AR to communicate with a member that can only post in AR right now. I don't think that should be happening, and the person those posts were directed at doesn't seem like they intend to take action on those suggestions.

If that was happening outside of the lower boards, and/or if it was directed at a newer member or perhaps someone that just wouldn't understand that following such a suggestion would only land them in hot water, I'd be more inclined to take action. Unless and until the rules are updated to include something to the effect of "Instructing other members to break forum rules is forbidden," I think it's got to be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 07:59:12 AM »
It should be kept on a case by case basis. I do not want this forum to turn into one of those places where we nitpick every post for wrongness. It would be boring, and it would kill the forum.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 09:44:30 AM »
It's not spelled out, as you already noted. On the face of it, it almost seems like something that should even need to be stated. And if I had to guess, I'd say the event that prompted this inquiry is from a certain few posts that were made in AR to communicate with a member that can only post in AR right now. I don't think that should be happening, and the person those posts were directed at doesn't seem like they intend to take action on those suggestions.

If that was happening outside of the lower boards, and/or if it was directed at a newer member or perhaps someone that just wouldn't understand that following such a suggestion would only land them in hot water, I'd be more inclined to take action. Unless and until the rules are updated to include something to the effect of "Instructing other members to break forum rules is forbidden," I think it's got to be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Yes where this stems from is the posts you referenced.  While I'm aware this was in AR and the circumstances of their situations, that doesn't prevent newer users from reading it and seeing the advocation of a rule violation.  Which is why I saw the potential for an issue and wanted to know where you guys stand on it. 

Appreciate the feedback.
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 09:13:32 AM »
I've read the Forum Rules and it doesn't explicitly say it, but is advocating for another person to break the Forum Rules a violation.

I moderate a forum for a browser based game and advocating rule violations is viewed as a rule violation, but we have that specifically listed within our rules.  Just want to know the official stance.

It is already in the forum rules:
"7. Troublemaking
Do not post or behave in a manner obviously intended to start a fight, get a reaction, or cause problems (e.g. making facetious complaints, adjusting/creating a profile so as to impersonate other members, etc.)."

It's sad that even mods and admins don't know the rules.
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 09:53:26 AM »

It is already in the forum rules:
"7. Troublemaking
Do not post or behave in a manner obviously intended to start a fight, get a reaction, or cause problems (e.g. making facetious complaints, adjusting/creating a profile so as to impersonate other members, etc.)."

It's sad that even mods and admins don't know the rules.
That rule doesn't explicitly state that it is against the rules to encourage someone to break the rules. It does, however, address why you shouldn't pretend to be an admin and send out fake warnings.