The Cursed Audio Tape: Jonestown mass suicide

• 17 Replies

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
The Cursed Audio Tape: Jonestown mass suicide
« on: June 24, 2020, 06:44:18 AM »
This is the most cursed audio tape I ever heard.

Its absolutely gruesome and most certainly haunted.

The Peoples Temple Agricultural Project, better known by its informal name "Jonestown", was a remote settlement established by the Peoples Temple, a cult under the leadership of Jim Jones, in Guayana Esequiba, a disputed territory in northwestern Guyana claimed by Venezuela.

It became internationally known when, on November 18, 1978, a total of 918 people died at the settlement, at the nearby airstrip in Port Kaituma, and at a Temple-run building in Georgetown, Guyana's capital city. The name of the settlement became synonymous with the incidents at those locations.

In total, 909 individuals died in Jonestown,all but two from apparent cyanide poisoning, in an event termed "revolutionary suicide" by Jones and some Peoples Temple members on an audio tape of the event, and in prior recorded discussions. The poisonings in Jonestown followed the murder of five others by Temple members at Port Kaituma, including United States Congressman Leo Ryan, an act that Jones ordered. Four other Temple members committed murder-suicide in Georgetown at Jones' command.

Terms used to describe the deaths in Jonestown and Georgetown evolved over time. Many contemporary media accounts after the events called the deaths a mass suicide. In contrast, most sources today refer to the deaths with terms such as mass murder-suicide, a massacre, or simply mass murder. Seventy or more individuals at Jonestown were injected with poison, and a third of the victims (304) were minors. Guards armed with guns and crossbows had been ordered to shoot those who fled the Jonestown pavilion as Jones lobbied for suicide.

If you do not want to be absolutely traumatized by the end of this recording and think about it non-stop for several days, like I, it is best to not play it.

Its a very sad recording indeed, especially when you read the transcripts. I can not fathom how this happened. How all these people just threw core morals and values out of the window and murdered each other, including children.

I suppose this is a warning for us all, as it shows how powerful a collective can become in overriding basic human decency.

Uncanny. The recording is fucked.

):

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
Re: The Cursed Audio Tape: Jonestown mass suicide
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 06:59:04 AM »
About 30 seconds in and I hear children in the background.

Nope.  Not today.

If it were just adults I could probably handle it.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 07:26:12 AM »
Damn!  :(
“Once, every village had an idiot. It took the internet to bring them all together.”

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:34:48 PM »
BillGatestown mass suicide is on the way if we don't resist his poisoned vaccines.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 04:38:29 PM »
Koolaid was never the same again.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 08:40:01 AM »
Koolaid was never the same again.

It could actually have been Flavor Aid, a cheaper version.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 10:03:00 AM »
I don't know. If I'm going to host a fancy mass suicide  then I want to spend the extra money on name brand products. Wouldn't want to get a bad yelp review.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 11:11:40 PM »
I expected him to be some commanding voice of reassurance and comfort.
I had no idea he was a lisping little twat.

I'm just two minutes in . . .

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 11:28:50 PM »
I skipped ahead a few times . . .

How does such a fucking retrdud asswhole gather hundreds of people and con them into worshiping him?

Sez more about the need of people to be a part of something than what they are part of.

I have a hard time giving a crap about them.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 02:15:26 AM »
How does such a fucking retrdud asswhole gather hundreds of people and con them into worshiping him?

Ahem.. cough cough...  Trump.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 08:29:18 AM »

Sez more about the need of people to be a part of something than what they are part of.

Because he gave these people a community they felt worthwhile and helpful in.

A sense and place of being part of something.

He most certainly paid the guards, if not other members in this community, in drugs to provide their daily fix.
):

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 08:30:29 AM »

How many social browniepoints did you get by using this tragedy and the murder of at least several hundred people to say ORANGE MAN BAD?
):

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 12:33:59 PM »

Because he gave these people a community they felt worthwhile and helpful in.

A sense and place of being part of something.

He most certainly paid the guards, if not other members in this community, in drugs to provide their daily fix.

I should think before I type.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 12:51:16 PM »
For some reason the 50s to 70s saw a real  influx of cults like this.

I guess a combination of war, drugs and the civil right movement.
):

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 04:38:40 PM »

How many social browniepoints did you get by using this tragedy and the murder of at least several hundred people to say ORANGE MAN BAD?

Thanks for proving my point.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 12:11:00 AM »

You are so fucking brave.
):

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 12:56:20 AM »
For some reason the 50s to 70s saw a real  influx of cults like this.

I guess a combination of war, drugs and the civil right movement.

In the book, "Season of the Witch", which chronicles the socio/political/cultural aspects of the San Francisco Bay Area from the 60's to the 90's, there's a large section on Jim Jones and the People's Temple which started here in San Francisco. It's mind-numbing exactly how the cult was founded, grew, was lauded by some very powerful/influential people and then the whole Guiana chapter and how that came to be. In it as well are some transcripts of your tape. Just reading them was beyond chilling. I could never listen to them.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 01:18:11 AM »

You are so fucking brave.

You are ignoring a suicidal cult that is hundreds of times worse than JimJones,  and it's right there in front of you, right now in real time.

Your response "ORANGE MAN BAD"  is purile tripe that undermines your fake empathy for an audio of kids dying.  Disgusting double standard.