Surface tension explains how oceans can curve doesn't it?

• 388 Replies

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
Re: Surface tension explains how oceans can curve doesn't it?
« Reply #270 on: June 22, 2020, 01:31:02 PM »

My displacement has nothing to do with anything. Remember, we are talking about an atmospheric ocean 10's of thousands of feet high and covering the entire earth. My displacement is irrelevant. Otherwise I could do some cool airbending moves by just shoving against the space around me.
Your displacement is absolutely relevant and the sooner you grasp this the sooner you'll start to grasp what I'm talking about.
It doesn't matter whether you're under Earth's atmosphere or in an ocean or in a swimming pool. If your body is in it, your body displaces it's own dense mass of that water and/or atmosphere.

How can it be relevant on such a scale as the atmosphere on earth? If it were relevant I could run up to you, stop just before slamming into you and my displaced atmosphere would knock you down.

JackBlack

« Reply #271 on: June 22, 2020, 02:44:43 PM »
Nope. No pulling involved.
Again, if you want to claim such nonsense, draw the diagram, at whatever scale you need to clearly show that it is push, that clearly shows how a push to the right can come from the right.

By pushing into links.
That is not explaining what holds them together.
How is these links pushing into other links going to hold them together?

Show me.
What, for you to just dismiss like you have done will all other evidence provided to you?

No thanks. Especially as it isn't even needed for the discussion at hand.

It's a pull.
Thanks for finally admitting it.

You people are doing that and I'm showing you.
No, you aren't showing anything except your lack of integrity and lack of concern for the truth.
You are just repeatedly asserting the same refuted nonsense with no justification at all.

The diagrams clearly show that you need a pull.
You have absolutely no refutation to this.
You have no explanation for how these links hold themselves together without a pulling force.

You dismissing it and just asserting it is push is not explaining or showing anything.

The simple fact that when you actually look into it more deeply, then even things which might appear to be superficially explained by a push, like a chain, still rely upon pulling.

Again, the simple diagram you need to deal with:

Again, the only way to transfer a force from the dark grey region to the light grey region to make the object move to the right in its entirety rather than just having the dark grey region move is by a pulling force. The dark grey region needs to PULL the light grey region.
Otherwise the dark grey region moves to the right while the light grey region stays behind.

Like I said, if you want to disagree, draw a diagram of what you think is happening, explaining just where the force to move the light grey region is coming from.

« Reply #272 on: June 22, 2020, 02:50:46 PM »
Use legos as an example.
Legos have a very weak friction fit.
Stack a whole bunch of legos into a tower.
Un-push them together and show us hiw pulling isnt a thing.

Maybe define push and pull in yoyr own words.
You have a history of not speaking english and spinning us all round and round teying to figure out who's/ Hue's on first.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #273 on: June 22, 2020, 11:37:53 PM »

My displacement has nothing to do with anything. Remember, we are talking about an atmospheric ocean 10's of thousands of feet high and covering the entire earth. My displacement is irrelevant. Otherwise I could do some cool airbending moves by just shoving against the space around me.
Your displacement is absolutely relevant and the sooner you grasp this the sooner you'll start to grasp what I'm talking about.
It doesn't matter whether you're under Earth's atmosphere or in an ocean or in a swimming pool. If your body is in it, your body displaces it's own dense mass of that water and/or atmosphere.

How can it be relevant on such a scale as the atmosphere on earth? If it were relevant I could run up to you, stop just before slamming into you and my displaced atmosphere would knock you down.
It could actually happen. Have you not seen stuff like this happen?
You running up to me in an open area would do little but cause a breeze from your forced compression in front of you, which I would feel the effects of.
However, if you were to run at me in an alley that was closed off at one end with me being close to that end and you ran at me with a board close to the opening size of that alley, you would compress that air from your own force/dense mass against me, which would have a significant impact on myself.

« Reply #274 on: June 22, 2020, 11:42:27 PM »
We ve been through this in the ballistic missile thread.
Guy on a roller board throwing a medicine ball.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #275 on: June 22, 2020, 11:50:03 PM »
Use legos as an example.

You have a history of not speaking english and spinning us all round and round teying to figure out who's/ Hue's on first.
Ok, you can clearly see and understand the pushing together of the lego bricks.
You also know they stay together because the little round protrusions are compressed against the openings they fit inside of.
All push up to now.

Ok, the part where you think a pull is happening would be in taking apart the stack and to understand this we have to go through the human body and it's function to see what's happening.
To release one brick you must first grip the brick, which means you must compress that brick each side by compressing your muscles and then pushing your fingers and bones and skin into the brick.

You also have to do exactly the same thing to the brick or bricks underneath or above the brick you're about to move.

Now you have to push them both apart using that grip and if you observe your skin you will see your skin move opposite to your push, meaning your skin is putting the push pressure grip on the bricks as your shoulders, elbows, wrists and fingers, with muscles, sinews and bone, etc all pushing by compression to enable this to happen.

Everything is pressure pushing. No pull.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #276 on: June 22, 2020, 11:55:31 PM »
I explained this.
The medicine ball is dense. It requires a force to push it away from it's own dense mass displacement of atmosphere it is in.
Once it is pushed away from you it compresses the atmosphere in front of it which creates a higher pressure. which in turn creates a lower pressure where the medicine ball originally was, which will be equalised but not before it crashes back into you throwing it, which aids in moving the wheels on the skateboard and obviously, you, a little...depending on your dense mass and the force in which you push that ball away from you.

« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2020, 12:23:59 AM »
Use legos as an example.

You also know they stay together because the little round protrusions are compressed against the openings they fit inside of.
All push up to now.

Ok, the part where you think a pull is happening would be in taking apart the stack and to understand this we have to go through the human body and it's function to see what's happening.
To release one brick you must first grip the brick, which means you must compress that brick each side by compressing your muscles and then pushing your fingers and bones and skin into the brick.

You also have to do exactly the same thing to the brick or bricks underneath or above the brick you're about to move.

Now you have to push them both apart using that grip and if you observe your skin you will see your skin move opposite to your push, meaning your skin is putting the push pressure grip on the bricks as your shoulders, elbows, wrists and fingers, with muscles, sinews and bone, etc all pushing by compression to enable this to happen.

Great!
Like i said to all the others you fail to see a difference in between the rope and the tree.
You fail to differentiate there are two bodies.
The rope is not a part of the tree.
The tree is in compression and the rope is in tension.
Everyone take note.

« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2020, 12:26:09 AM »
I explained this.
The medicine ball is dense. It requires a force to push it away from it's own dense mass displacement of atmosphere it is in.
Once it is pushed away from you it compresses the atmosphere in front of it which creates a higher pressure. which in turn creates a lower pressure where the medicine ball originally was, which will be equalised but not before it crashes back into you throwing it, which aids in moving the wheels on the skateboard and obviously, you, a little...depending on your dense mass and the force in which you push that ball away from you.

Right... but in the exmaple you convenitently deleted - required you to run down a fitted alley with a piece of plywood in a sort of piston like scenario.
When in comparison, this is just a guy throwing a med ball while sitting on rollers and completely destroys said plywood statement.

JackBlack

« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2020, 02:40:39 AM »
All push up to now.
No, not all push.
This still requires a pull.
The openings they fit inside are held together by tensile forces.
If you were to cut it up such that instead of a continuous ring or a few large sections it was instead basically just a bunch of strings, it wouldn't hold together.

But how does the push get transferred through the brick?
Why doesn't it just fall apart at the point where you pushed?
If you tried it with extremely weak bricks with no tensile strength it would just break apart.
If you thinly sliced the bricks before hand it would just break.
If it was all push it shouldn't even matter if it was just powder.

Again, you need a pull for the bricks to hold themselves together.

Just the example you ignore, you need a pull to hold the rope/chain/link together.
Without it,

It doesn't matter how far down you want to go, you NEED a pulling force.
Again, if you wish to disagree you need to clearly explain what holds it together, draw a diagram showing the left side is magically pushed to the right by the right side.

« Reply #280 on: June 23, 2020, 03:03:05 AM »
All push up to now.
No, not all push.
If you were to cut it up such that instead of a continuous ring or a few large sections it was instead basically just a bunch of strings, it wouldn't hold together.

If you tried it with extremely weak bricks with no tensile strength it would just break apart.

Just the example you ignore, you need a pull to hold the rope/chain/link together.
Without it,

Again, if you wish to disagree you need to clearly explain what holds it together, draw a diagram showing the left side is magically pushed to the right by the right side.

well, technically the friction force could be a push force being dependent on factor of F-normal.
haha

BUT
again the directional is what i wanted him to define.
Pull vs push.
Sceppy has a hard time with english for some reason.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #281 on: June 23, 2020, 10:20:49 AM »
Use legos as an example.

All push up to now.

Great!
Like i said to all the others you fail to see a difference in between the rope and the tree.
You fail to differentiate there are two bodies.
The rope is not a part of the tree.
The tree is in compression and the rope is in tension.
Everyone take note.
This is about lego.
Go and bring the tree one up.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #282 on: June 23, 2020, 10:24:27 AM »
I explained this.

Right... but in the exmaple you convenitently deleted - required you to run down a fitted alley with a piece of plywood in a sort of piston like scenario.
When in comparison, this is just a guy throwing a med ball while sitting on rollers and completely destroys said plywood statement.
No it doesn't destroy anything.
If the person was throwing a medicine ball in an alley, that person would move back much more than throwing itr in open air where the medicine ball can compress much less due to dissipation.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #283 on: June 23, 2020, 10:25:07 AM »

No, not all push.

All push.....no pull.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #284 on: June 23, 2020, 10:26:35 AM »
All push up to now.
No, not all push.

Without it,

well, technically the friction force could be a push force being dependent on factor of F-normal.
haha

BUT
again the directional is what i wanted him to define.
Pull vs push.
Sceppy has a hard time with english for some reason.
I have an easy time with it. How you interpret it is your hard time, not mine.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #285 on: June 23, 2020, 11:36:35 AM »
I explained this.

If the person was throwing a medicine ball in an alley, that person would move back much more than throwing itr in open air where the medicine ball can compress much less due to dissipation.

Evidence for this? I can't find anywhere where the person moves "back much more" say in a classroom versus outside.

Macarios

« Reply #286 on: June 23, 2020, 02:57:07 PM »
Draw an arrow picture of what you define "push".
No one knows what youre talking about if you refuse to use english.
Give me any picture you deem as push and I'll go into paint and show you where push is instead of pull.

Let's see some hanging rope as in the picture below.

Is the rope segment R pushing or pulling the rope segment Q at the point B?

EDIT: What prevents the molecules of segments Q and R from separating?
Pull or push?
To answer this you'd need to go into the make up of the rope. This is why I ask people to put deeper thought into it.

To be clear about it all you have to start at the bottom, what we cannot naked eye, visually see in some cases and what we can clearly see, in others.

Your rope is linked but you can't see that by simply drawing what you drew.

"The rope is linked", you say?

And what keeps together the molecules in polymerized caprolactam monofilament nylon fishing line?

What about pure solid copper wire?
What keeps the copper atoms together?

Pull or push?
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

JackBlack

« Reply #287 on: June 23, 2020, 03:32:19 PM »
This is about lego.
Used only as an analogy for the rope.

If you rope was made of lego, it would fall apart, because the pulling force holding Lego together is quite small.
But if it was all push, there should be no difference.

All push.....no pull.
Again, stop just repeating the same baseless garbage.
If you want to assert it is all pull then explain HOW!
Explain how the rope/chain/link/lego/basically everything which can withstand tensile forces holds itself together.

No matter how far down you go a pull is always needed.
You need to apply a force from the right to move the object to the right, that is a pulling force.

Again, if you wish to disagree, show clearly where the force acting on the left side of this link is coming from.

Saying it is the same kind of thing on a smaller scale isn't addressing the problem it is just moving the problem down to that smaller scale.

The simple fact is that without pulling forces there would be no such thing as tensile strength and all materials would simply fall apart.

Now again, care to actually address this problem?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #288 on: June 23, 2020, 09:22:53 PM »
I explained this.

Evidence for this? I can't find anywhere where the person moves "back much more" say in a classroom versus outside.
Is a classroom an alley?
It's a wide area and can dissipate a compressive force quite easily compared to being in an alley where it can't due to the close walls either side and a barrier between the opening (you and skateboard, plus medicine ball).

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #289 on: June 23, 2020, 09:26:27 PM »
Draw an arrow picture of what you define "push".
No one knows what youre talking about if you refuse to use english.
Give me any picture you deem as push and I'll go into paint and show you where push is instead of pull.

Let's see some hanging rope as in the picture below.

Is the rope segment R pushing or pulling the rope segment Q at the point B?

EDIT: What prevents the molecules of segments Q and R from separating?
Pull or push?
To answer this you'd need to go into the make up of the rope. This is why I ask people to put deeper thought into it.

To be clear about it all you have to start at the bottom, what we cannot naked eye, visually see in some cases and what we can clearly see, in others.

Your rope is linked but you can't see that by simply drawing what you drew.

"The rope is linked", you say?

And what keeps together the molecules in polymerized caprolactam monofilament nylon fishing line?

What about pure solid copper wire?
What keeps the copper atoms together?

Pull or push?
All push. It's all linked. It's all push.
Just because you can't see it with your own eyes does not mean it's not linked.

Everything is attached and you cannot attach anything by a so called pull force.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2020, 09:30:01 PM »
This is about lego.
Used only as an analogy for the rope.

If you rope was made of lego, it would fall apart, because the pulling force holding Lego together is quite small.
But if it was all push, there should be no difference.

How do you pull?
Describe how you get the lego apart, using everything you require to friction grip that lego and what that lego is friction gripped to to make it stay clamped to the other brick.

Think carefully about it and you'll see there's no pull.

Macarios

« Reply #291 on: June 23, 2020, 11:38:41 PM »
Everything is attached and you cannot attach anything by a so called pull force.

Cannot why?
How do you plan to forbid that?

How to prevent a magnet from pulling an iron nail?
By your "royal decree"? :D

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #292 on: June 24, 2020, 12:21:03 AM »
I explained this.

Is a classroom an alley?
It's a wide area and can dissipate a compressive force quite easily compared to being in an alley where it can't due to the close walls either side and a barrier between the opening (you and skateboard, plus medicine ball).

What’s the difference between an alley and a classroom when compared to an unenclosed wide expanse outside. By your logic in an even more confined classroom I should shoot back more so than in an alley and even more so than in the wide expanse. We don’t see those differences based upon setting. So yours is an incorrect statement.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #293 on: June 24, 2020, 12:29:55 AM »

Cannot why?
How do you plan to forbid that?
It's not about me forbidding it, it's about me not accepting there is a pull in reality.
Feel free to use pull to describe what you visually see as being that. It helps differentiate visual observations from your perceivement.
I have no issues with this but I'm simply saying from my perspective, pull does not exist in those terms.

Quote from: Macarios
How to prevent a magnet from pulling an iron nail?

It doesn't pull an iron ball. The ball is pushed into it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #294 on: June 24, 2020, 12:32:43 AM »
What’s the difference between an alley and a classroom when compared to an unenclosed wide expanse outside.
What's the difference between a ball sitting on gunpowder in a class room on a table and ignited and a ball sitting in a barrel on top of gunpowder and ignited?

Quote from: Stash
By your logic in an even more confined classroom I should shoot back more so than in an alley and even more so than in the wide expanse. We don’t see those differences based upon setting. So yours is an incorrect statement.
An even more confined classroom? You mean like a small alley or something?

Macarios

« Reply #295 on: June 24, 2020, 03:03:57 AM »

JackBlack

« Reply #296 on: June 24, 2020, 03:38:14 AM »
All push. It's all linked. It's all push.
Again, it is only linked via tensile forces, i.e. a pull.
Just because you don't want to admit it doesn't magically change that fact.
Again, if you  wish to disagree, show the diagram of how the force is magically transferred.
Clearly explain how a force can come from the right to move an object to the right, without being a pulling force.

Describe how you get the lego apart, using everything you require to friction grip that lego and what that lego is friction gripped to to make it stay clamped to the other brick.
Again, it isn't simply a case of pulling them apart, but also why they separate where they do, between the 2 bricks. And it is quite easy to demonstrate as well by just cutting the bricks.
But I prefer rope as that is easier, including easier to cut.
You aren't just magically applying the force to the entire brick. You are applying it to a particular surface of the brick, and that then needs to transfer the force through the entire brick.
But just like in the diagram I provided, there are some parts of the brick to the side opposite the direction that it is being pushed in. i.e. there are some parts of the lower brick above where I am applying a force.
How does that part move?

You can easily demonstrate that it isn't a push by cutting the brick. So now instead of just the 2 bricks, you have effectively 4 objects. the lower and upper part of each brick. Now to pull them apart you grab the lower part of the lower brick and the upper part of the upper brick and pull. But now the bricks don't stay together, the bricks fall apart as the section that transmits the tensile forces are gone, and without that pull the bricks aren't held together.

A simpler demonstration would just have a bunch of small objects. If you push them you can easily push along most of them with only a few falling off the sides.
But try to pull them, and only the ones actually being pushed by your hand moves.

But then, tie them together with a piece of string so they can pull each other and then you can move them all.

Again, actually thinking about it, even a bit, shows a pull is needed.

Again, my diagram clearly indicates it.

The force is applied at the red arrow. This pushes things to the right of the black line, resulting in the dark grey section being pushed.
But it has no way to push the light grey section.
In order for the light grey section to move with the dark grey section, rather than have the link fall apart, the dark grey section needs to pull the light grey section.

Again, trying to claim there are little links between it just pushes the problem back as the exact same problem arises for those links.
There is simply no way to transfer a force from the dark grey section moving right to the light grey section without pulling.

I have no issues with this but I'm simply saying from my perspective, pull does not exist in those terms.
No, you aren't. You repeatedly deny that pull exists, stating it as a fact, not merely your "perspective" or opinion.

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #297 on: June 24, 2020, 08:31:57 PM »
I am beginning to think that the word "push" is scepti's "I am groot".
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #298 on: June 24, 2020, 11:11:02 PM »
You repeatedly deny that pull exists, stating it as a fact, not merely your "perspective" or opinion.
It's amy reasoning and my perspective and my belief.
You do not need to accept it, as you obviously don't, just as I don't accept what you say when you state something as fact that you have no clue about as to it being just that....except to appeal to what you believe is, authority..

JackBlack

« Reply #299 on: June 25, 2020, 02:08:44 AM »
You do not need to accept it, as you obviously don't, just as I don't accept what you say when you state something as fact that you have no clue about as to it being just that....except to appeal to what you believe is, authority..
You mean things I know from personal experience which you need to pretend has only been obtained by appeals to authority to your position any kind of validity.

Again, ignoring my comments wont magically make them vanish.

Again, if you want to claim there is no such thing as pull, then clearly explain how in the image below, the dark grey side pulls the light grey side, without pulling it:

Until you can actually do that, all you have is wilful rejection of reality based upon no rational or logical thought at all.