Surface tension explains how oceans can curve doesn't it?

• 388 Replies

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Surface tension explains how oceans can curve doesn't it?
« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2020, 06:24:15 AM »
Now something from you, thank you.
Show me some proof that you know what you're talking about about knowing how and why magnets work?
Or just admit you have zero clue.
Why should I bother when you post nothing?

Low content, trolling post.

Pull it or recieve a warning. Thanks.

Please refrain from such postings in the future and contribute your posts constructively as relating to the OP
A warning from whom? Sceptimatic is posting nothing to answer so what am I supposed to say.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #181 on: June 16, 2020, 02:16:10 PM »

Show us your proof of a helium ice dome or the reflected electric sun.
I can't. I can only give you the benefit of my observations by experiments and logical thoughts. What you do with that thought process, is your business.

Amazing.
All of industrialized world gets along fine without resorting to crush on crush and poor analogies.
Imgaine building a skyscraper and the blue prints involve someone repeating the words crush on crush like the shining.
You don't believe a skyscraper results in a crush on crush scenario in that build?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2020, 02:19:56 PM »

Air and air molecules are not a super fluid. That has nothing to do with the lack of porosity in glass and metals. Shouldn't the vacuum tube be really heavy, no porosity and all?
The low pressure inside a TV tube is not a superfluid....you're right about that, which means the tube will hold the low pressure gases and resist the higher pressure external atmosphere.

I'm simply showing you porosity on different levels. Surely it should be more clear to you.

Surely it should be clear to you that if I had a sheet of glass above my head the vertical stack wouldn't get through to me because the pores are way, way, tiny. I could float underneath it. Like magic.
Indeed the air wouldn't just go through. That's why the glass resists that air by it's own dense matter and imparts that onto your head along with your entire dense matter of your body pushing against that glass and into the atmosphere and using your feet as your resistance to crush down.

You can't float underneath it because you are under pressure.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »
Quote from: sceptimatic
Quote from: Amoranemix 128
It would likely break apart if you pushed each end away from centre of the object.
a) I am sorry, but I don't understand how your evidence is supposed to support your claims. Even if what you claimed were likely, it does not seem to support that there is tension in the compression of the atmospheric pressure. Can you provide evidence that actually supports your claims ?
b) You failed to answer my question. Please do.
[a) No]
a) Why do you think it is you are unable to support your claims ?
b) You forgot to answer my question.

Have you ever wondered why it could be that you are unable to support your claims ?
[No]
I'll give you a hint : Which claims are easiest to support ? True ones of false ones ?

I'd say it was a classic case of how alternate thinking can show a totally different thought process to mainstream indoctrinated narratives.
Jesus Christ was a gay Martian who came to earth 2000 years ago, sailing on the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs.
That is another classic case of alternate thinking against mainstream indoctrinated narratives. Should such thinking be taken seriously ?
[no response]
You forgot to answer my question.

Oceans do not curve, unless you mean waves.
And surface tension would be atmospheric pressure upon any surface with that surface resisting that pressure.
Thus are your claims, but can you prove them ?
[No]
Should sceptics take unsupported claims seriously ?

Quote from: JJA 139
leading to a high pressure push towards that which creates what we see as a magnetic attraction.
HOW?
I notice you just provide vague nonsense rather than any attempt at an actual explanation.
Sometimes he doesn't even provide vague nonsense.

Quote from: sceptimatic 142
Quote from: rabinoz
What total garbage! Magnetic effects have nothing to do "how much atmosphere they trap"! Where did you drag that from?
Of course it's nonsense to you. Everything I say is nonsense to you and this is why we're debating it all.
A lot of mainstream ideals are nonsense to me and this is where we're at.
So, in your worldview, there is no magnetism in (near) vacuum. Is that correct ?

Quote from: sceptimatic 149
Obviously you don't but electric currents flowing in tiny loops might give you a hint.
Clearly you have no clue.
The pot calls the kettle black.

Quote from: sceptimatic 161
Ever heard that an electric current causes a magnetic field? Now what about your version?
We can talk about electric currents later if you want.
First of all, tell me how a magnet works. a magnet in your hand...tell me how and why that works. Or admit you have no clue.
Ever heard that an electric current causes a magnetic field? Now what about your version?
Stop being evasive and explain how magnetism works. Rational people are beginning to think you are stalling to hide your ignorance.

Quote from: sceptimatic 162
Surface tension has nothing to do with atmospheric pressure!
It has everything to do with it, otherwise there would be zero tension.
So you claim, but can you prove it ?
Pick one query/question at a time.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #184 on: June 16, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »

Air and air molecules are not a super fluid. That has nothing to do with the lack of porosity in glass and metals. Shouldn't the vacuum tube be really heavy, no porosity and all?
The low pressure inside a TV tube is not a superfluid....you're right about that, which means the tube will hold the low pressure gases and resist the higher pressure external atmosphere.

I'm simply showing you porosity on different levels. Surely it should be more clear to you.

There are no gasses inside CRT.
Otherwise the electron beam would just ionize it and wouldn't reach the screen to draw the image.
If the glass was porous gasses would enter and dissipate the beam.
The tube cannot be empty. It has to hold atmosphere, even in it's more expanded form.
If the tube was evacuated of a lot of atmosphere like a bell jar, the tube would be breached during that process and never be fit for purpose due to implosion after implosion.
So we know it's not empty.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #185 on: June 16, 2020, 02:25:04 PM »
Show me some proof that you know what you're talking about about knowing how and why magnets work?
Then don't bother.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2020, 02:26:13 PM »

Low content, trolling post.

Pull it or recieve a warning. Thanks.

Please refrain from such postings in the future and contribute your posts constructively as relating to the OP
A warning from whom? Sceptimatic is posting nothing to answer so what am I supposed to say.
Say nothing and ignore me if my posts are not worth replying to.

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2020, 02:34:58 PM »
Then don't bother.

You keep ignoring so many of the laws of Physics and imagine that you know best based on nothing.

You should try attending a physics class and you'll soon discover where exactly you have been growing wrong all these years. What you keep ignoring is our current technology that has been designed and built is completely based on our understanding of the very laws you ignore. The electricity that you use to power your computer was generated by a combination of turbines and generators whose internal magnets work according to these known laws. That's how we produce electricity because we know and understand these laws and are able to design machinery that operates according to these laws. The very laws you ignore thinking you alone know best!

Really…..what a laugh!!!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2020, 02:48:26 PM »
You keep ignoring so many of the laws of Physics and imagine that you know best based on nothing.
What am I ignoring that you know for sure?

Quote from: Timeisup
You should try attending a physics class and you'll soon discover where exactly you have been growing wrong all these years. What you keep ignoring is our current technology that has been designed and built is completely based on our understanding of the very laws you ignore.
What laws are these?

The electricity that you use to power your computer was generated by a combination of turbines and generators whose internal magnets work according to these known laws. That's how we produce electricity because we know and understand these laws and are able to design machinery that operates according to these laws. The very laws you ignore thinking you alone know best!
I have no issues with machines   and what not. All I have issues with is certain explanations added in which I believe are a dupe to hide the reality or what I'm explaining.

That doesn't mean you need to accept anything I say in any way shape or form but don't expect me to just accept stuff based on something of which I question.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2020, 03:17:39 PM »

Surely it should be clear to you that if I had a sheet of glass above my head the vertical stack wouldn't get through to me because the pores are way, way, tiny. I could float underneath it. Like magic.
Indeed the air wouldn't just go through. That's why the glass resists that air by it's own dense matter and imparts that onto your head along with your entire dense matter of your body pushing against that glass and into the atmosphere and using your feet as your resistance to crush down.

You can't float underneath it because you are under pressure.

Sorry, I wasnt clear. The glass pane is above my head not resting on my head. Let’s say there’s an inch between my head and the pane. How would the stack penetrate the pane to push me down?

JackBlack

« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2020, 03:26:19 PM »
First of all, tell me how a magnet works. a magnet in your hand...tell me how and why that works. Or admit you have no clue.
Again, how about you stop with the deflection and explain how magnets work in your fantasy.

It has everything to do with it, otherwise there would be zero tension.
Again, that is just your baseless claim you are yet to substantiate in any way.

If what you said was true, there would be no such thing as tension at all, as you can't have pull.

Again, a simple rope demonstrates that that is wrong.

Tell us what other than some pulling force is holding the rope together.
Explain how when you "pull" on a rope, the entire rope moves with you, and we know it can't be a push from the other end because when you push a rope you get a completely different effect.
A rope is typically quite strong under tensile (pulling) loads, but buckles under even extremely low tensile loads.
If it was a push from the end, any time you let a rope go (or even just not pull fast enough) it should crumple, but that doesn't happen.
That means we know it isn't a push from the other end.
That means without pull, when you "pull" on the end of a rope, the rope should just fall apart, with nothing to hold it together.

Now again, why you do you completely ignore this refutation of your claims?

Likewise the fact that surface tension, or more generally interfacial tension, exists between any 2 fluids and between a fluid and a surface shows beyond any sane doubt that the atmosphere is not required for surface tension.

The pores in that glass structure would be super tiny.
super fluids would breach it.
Notice how even in your video, the super-fluid needs a glass which is intentionally made porous?
Helium and other liquids would leak through it, even without it being a super-fluid, just at a very slow rate which depends upon the viscosity.
Air can get through it quite easily.

If your nonsense was true, they wouldn't need that special porous base. Instead they could do the same with a completely sealed container, the kind of containers which can hold superfluids.

I can only give you the benefit of my observations by experiments and logical thoughts.
What logical thoughts?
Again, there is no logic behind your claims.
You claim that all matter must be porous to allow their observed volumes to not be their real volume and to have all the pores filled with air, which would result in nothing being air tight.
In order to "refute" that, you provide an example of a sintered frit, which is made to be porous and is in no way air tight, which allows a fluid through.
That is not logical at all.

You claim that there is no such thing as pull, yet completely avoid a simple demonstration which shows that is pure nonsense.
There is no logic in that.

So no, you can only give us the "benefit" or your extremely illogical thoughts.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2020, 03:42:04 PM »
Knock off the antagonist BS Jackinoz. Sceptimatic has made some pretty valid points and just because you can't refute them does not justify the bullying

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

JackBlack

« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2020, 04:10:32 PM »
Knock off the antagonist BS Jackinoz. Sceptimatic has made some pretty valid points and just because you can't refute them does not justify the bullying
Follow your own advice.

If you think he provided a valid point, why not provide it, making sure it hasn't already been refuted.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2020, 04:41:34 PM »
Follow your own advice.

If you think he provided a valid point, why not provide it, making sure it hasn't already been refuted.

I'm not doing your homework for you. You go back and read them for yourself. However that only works if you empty your mind of all the preconcieved nonsense

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2020, 05:39:15 PM »
However that only works if you empty your mind of all the preconcieved nonsense
Preconceived nonsense?  You mean established physics and chemistry? The only nonsense going on between Jack and Scepti is coming from Scepti.  He just makes stuff up.

Timeisup

« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2020, 08:53:39 PM »

You should try attending a physics class and you'll soon discover where exactly you have been growing wrong all these years. What you keep ignoring is our current technology that has been designed and built is completely based on our understanding of the very laws you ignore.
What laws are these?

The electricity that you use to power your computer was generated by a combination of turbines and generators whose internal magnets work according to these known laws. That's how we produce electricity because we know and understand these laws and are able to design machinery that operates according to these laws. The very laws you ignore thinking you alone know best!
I have no issues with machines   and what not. All I have issues with is certain explanations added in which I believe are a dupe to hide the reality or what I'm explaining.

That doesn't mean you need to accept anything I say in any way shape or form but don't expect me to just accept stuff based on something of which I question.

Read your post, you wrote them after all. Every statement you make on the behaviour of gasses, materials, magnetism, you name it is in direct opposition to the known laws. If you want to find out what exactly what these laws are go attend a course in physics.

You remind me of someone who has lived in a remote jungle and just recently stumbled on civilisation and has tried to make sense of the world around them by dreaming up their very own explanations of how things work.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2020, 08:55:50 PM »
You remind me of someone who has lived in a remote jungle and just recently stumbled on civilisation and has tried to make sense of the world around them by dreaming up their very own explanations of how things work.

Not everyone shares your back story

Know your place

Timeisup

« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2020, 08:59:09 PM »

What laws are these?

Do you imagine that the designers, and engineers who built our power grid know a thing or two about, electricity, magnetism and materials?
Really…..what a laugh!!!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2020, 09:54:05 PM »

Sorry, I wasnt clear. The glass pane is above my head not resting on my head. Let’s say there’s an inch between my head and the pane. How would the stack penetrate the pane to push me down?
The glass pane would still need to be held up above your head by some structure and that pane and structure would still displace their own dense mass of atmosphere.

You being under that pane is still you displacing your own dense mass of atmosphere.
It's still compressed by your own dense mass, back onto you.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2020, 09:56:51 PM »

Read your post, you wrote them after all. Every statement you make on the behaviour of gasses, materials, magnetism, you name it is in direct opposition to the known laws. If you want to find out what exactly what these laws are go attend a course in physics.

So, you can't explain the laws and what's actually happening then?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2020, 10:02:07 PM »

Do you imagine that the designers, and engineers who built our power grid know a thing or two about, electricity, magnetism and materials?
Absolutely, just as architects/structural engineers know how to design/build structures and calculate loads, etc.
I have no issues with any of that.
My stuff doesn't go against that.

It's all pressures, vibration and frequency. I just explain it from my point and basically take out the duping....including fictional gravity, in my opinion.

Timeisup

« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2020, 10:29:18 PM »

Absolutely, just as architects/structural engineers know how to design/build structures and calculate loads, etc.

It's all pressures, vibration and frequency. I just explain it from my point and basically take out the duping....including fictional gravity, in my opinion.

Your ‘stuff’ as you call it certainty  does.

Fact no 1
Every structural engineer on the planet goes along with the concept of gravity and the concept of compressive and tensile forces. And  all would disagree with you regarding your notion of porosity of materials.

All structural engineers on the planet when designing a structure will use the Newton as the agreed unit of  force. Would you agree with this or have you invented your own unit?
Really…..what a laugh!!!

JackBlack

« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2020, 01:29:37 AM »
I'm not doing your homework for you.
You mean you are just being antagonistic.

I have clearly explained what is wrong with his claims.

The glass pane would still need to be held up above your head by some structure and that pane and structure would still displace their own dense mass of atmosphere.
You being under that pane is still you displacing your own dense mass of atmosphere.
As pointed out in the other thread, the problem is the glass pane getting in the way.

Now again, care to explain how a rope works?
That is quite key to this thread as you claim surface tension can't be a pull as nothing can be a pull.

The problem is that without that pull, ropes don't work.

Again, where is this magical push coming from to keep the rope together when it is "pulled"?
Why does this push not just crumple the rope?

« Reply #203 on: June 17, 2020, 04:05:08 AM »

Once again you admit its all about the foundation and nothing to do with the stack.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #204 on: June 17, 2020, 09:20:35 AM »

Your ‘stuff’ as you call it certainty  does.

Fact no 1
Every structural engineer on the planet goes along with the concept of gravity and the concept of compressive and tensile forces. And  all would disagree with you regarding your notion of porosity of materials.

All structural engineers on the planet when designing a structure will use the Newton as the agreed unit of  force. Would you agree with this or have you invented your own unit?
Tell me what this Newton force is and how it is used.
Let's assume you were to use it.
Show me how you set it up to gauge whatever you gauge with this Newton force reading.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #205 on: June 17, 2020, 09:23:35 AM »

As pointed out in the other thread, the problem is the glass pane getting in the way.

That is quite key to this thread as you claim surface tension can't be a pull as nothing can be a pull.

Again, where is this magical push coming from to keep the rope together when it is "pulled"?
The pane is not in the way of pressure. It's not directly touching you. It has its own foundation, which means it has no pressure bearing upon you.

As for your rope. Just think of molecular chain linking.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2020, 09:26:37 AM »

Once again you admit its all about the foundation and nothing to do with the stack.
It's all about foundation and the stacking. Pay more attention and stop causing yourself unnecessary complications. This is why you keep going backwards and make little headway.

« Reply #207 on: June 17, 2020, 09:53:05 AM »
Answer the question and you yourself will take your theory to the next level.
But no, you are happy to live in "crush on crush" and "own dense displacement".

« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2020, 09:55:31 AM »

The pane is not in the way of pressure. It's not directly touching you. It has its own foundation, which means it has no pressure bearing upon you.

Own foundation.
Once again resorting to foundation with no bearing on displacement.
By this very example, the displaced air needs to stack up, right where the pane would be.
But if theres no effect then there is no stacking.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2020, 12:00:05 PM »

The pane is preventing the stack from pushing down on my head and shoulders keeping my feet pressed to the deck. You said in another response that the stack above my head is stronger than that pressing from the sides by some unknown factor. With the pane above my head, I no longer have a stack above my head, just the weaker horizontal. So if it's not the stack pressing down on me, what is keeping me on the ground?