Surface tension explains how oceans can curve doesn't it?

• 388 Replies

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: Surface tension explains how oceans can curve doesn't it?
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2020, 02:11:32 AM »

One of the benchmarks in material strength is determining the Young’s modulus of the material, or its tensile strength. To carry out the test  the material is pulled till it breaks. No pushing involved as is shown here...

What is the machine doing to break that bond?
Take a look at it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2020, 02:15:47 AM »
I think people are getting a bit bogged down here.....

Forces are vector quantities, they have magnitudes and (importantly) directions. "Push" and "Pull" are surely just defining the direction of an applied force from the perspective of the person applying said force.

Take 2 people either side of a "regular" door.  One person will have to "push" to open it, the other will have to "pull". It's just grammatical convention. The door doesn't care what word you use, it just "feels" a force acting in one direction.

Take 2 people facing each other in a tug-of-war with a rope. They would both say they are "pulling" on the rope. If they both turned around (backs to each other) they might say they are both "pushing" the rope away. Either the way the rope experiences a stretching force and is placed under tension. As an aside, if they both  "pulled" a 100N force onto the rope, they would both have to "push" 100N of force into the ground to stay still, and a spring balance placed into the middle of the rope would read........100N! (not 200N as sandokhan thinks - something he could easily prove to himself by experiment, yet chooses not to!).
At least you're thinking.

« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2020, 03:05:55 AM »
Check your wording.
If theyre both pulling then 100+100 =200

nevermind.
i think i confused myself.
100!

« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2020, 03:51:14 AM »
Quote from: sceptimatic 67
Quote from: Amoranemix 64
Quote from: sceptimatic 61
What evidence would you like?
What would pacify you?
[2] I would like intelligible, convincing evidence for the three claims I challenged.
[3] Nothing would suffice, as I am already peaceful.
[no response]
For you that may be enough to accept claims, but skeptics require evidence.

Quote from: Amoranemix 64
Sorry, but I don't understand the demonstration you are asking about.
By the way, it is not my duty to make you evaluate the globe again. Hence, if what you ask is much work, I won't be inclined to do it, even if that comes at the cost of you believing the earth is flat.
Then our conversation is over.
That must be part of the explanation why you reject reality.

Quote from: Timeisup
Quote from: sceptimatic 70
Then our conversation is over.
It's a difficult position you have there, the wrong one that is. None of your ideas are supported by any scientific theory and more importantly, are at odds with everyday reality.
I don't believe they are at odds with reality. I believe they are closer to the reality than the so called scientific theory handed out, which includes something that is complete and utter nonsense, in gravity.

So, yeah, I am in a difficult position in one respect. I'm in a position of being a minority minnow against the mass of mainstream so called scientific might.

I'm ok with that. If people refuse to try to understand it from my side by adhering to the mainstream narratives, without proof, then that's what it is.
You seem to make little effort to convince these people of your position. Why is that ?

Quote from: Stash
Quote from: sceptimatic 71
Do you believe in tension?
As in compressive force; yes.
That tension is a compressive force is a belief that you have so far been unable to prove.

Quote from: scepticmatic 77
It's not what were were taught. Any child knows there is a big difference between pulling their sled up a hill versus pushing it.
Any child knows because they were taught to use push and pull for their visual to physical activities.
Taking a sled uphill requires your feet to push into the hillside and all of your muscles required to compress to ensure that push.
Gripping a rope with the sled behind is still pushing your shoulder/arm and pushing your gripped hand along the rope, as you push into the atmosphere that is compressing you down.
All push, no pull.
You have indeed demonstrated that push is usually involved in taking a sledge uphill by means of a rope. However you have yet demonstrate that it is all push, i.e. that only push is onvolved or that there is no pull at all. You have merely claimed so.

Quote from: sceptimatic 79 to rabinoz
If you push on a rope it will, indeed, bend. It would still compress but that's not the issue.

If you grab a rope your grip pushes that rope. If you hold the rope in both bands and go left with left hand and right with right hand, you are still pushing the rope to the left and to the right, leaving it taut.
There is no pull, at all.
As a kid, I sometimes moved a sledge uphill using a rope. I thought that I was pulling the sledge, but now I have learned that I was in fact pushing the sledge uphill with the rope. However, now you claim that doing so would have bent the rope. Yet, the contrary was true. When I pushed the rope, it was actually more straight then when I left it alone. How can that be ?

Quote from: Zaphod 86
Forces are vector quantities, they have magnitudes and (importantly) directions. "Push" and "Pull" are surely just defining the direction of an applied force from the perspective of the person applying said force.
By convention, push is repellant, a force away from objects applying the force, and pull is attractive, a force towards objects applying it.

Quote from: Zaphod 86
Take 2 people facing each other in a tug-of-war with a rope. They would both say they are "pulling" on the rope. If they both turned around (backs to each other) they might say they are both "pushing" the rope away. Either the way the rope experiences a stretching force and is placed under tension.
Where sceptimatic goes wrong, is in claiming that tension is compressive, wich implies that pulling or pushing on a rope would increase pressure in the rope.

Quote from: sceptimatic 88 to Timeisup
For instance. You go with gravity pulling in the oceans to the centre of a spinning ball. The centre of mass, as you're told.
This also supposedly pulls in the atmosphere and is supposedly the reason why it doesn't fall off, kind of nonsense.
Just this alone makes no sense and I have my own ( in my belief) much much logical and simpler explanation.
That is nonsense, indeed. Without gravity the atmosphere would not fall off anything. It would fly off into space. However, this thread is about oceans, so you can present your much much logical and simpler explanation in a thread about the atmosphere.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2020, 08:16:24 AM »
You seem to make little effort to convince these people of your position. Why is that ?
What position would that be and how do I do it?
Are you of a position to know the truth against anything I say and if so...how?

Quote from: Amoranemix
Quote from: sceptimatic 71
Do you believe in tension?
As in compressive force; yes.
That tension is a compressive force is a belief that you have so far been unable to prove.

It depends how you want to look at it or perceive it.
If you were to push apart a liquorice lace, the grip is the same. You grip each end and push which visually shows you the lace becoming thinner. It's stretching and that is a pull to you....or your pull/tension.

But what is happening?
The tension is in the compression of the atmospheric pressure you are under and the lace, which is expanding it's own dense matter in its make up in conjunction with your push , meaning the matter becomes less and less in keeping the lace in the dense mass it was, because it's being squeezed, which is, once again....a push.

You have indeed demonstrated that push is usually involved in taking a sledge uphill by means of a rope. However you have yet demonstrate that it is all push, i.e. that only push is onvolved or that there is no pull at all. You have merely claimed so.

See above.

As a kid, I sometimes moved a sledge uphill using a rope. I thought that I was pulling the sledge, but now I have learned that I was in fact pushing the sledge uphill with the rope. However, now you claim that doing so would have bent the rope. Yet, the contrary was true.
No I haven't claimed that, at all.
I never mentioned bending a rope pushing that rope with a sled attached, up a hill.
Feel free to go and find where i said it.

I'll help you out with what I did say.
I said if you have a rope in both hands and push them towards each other, as in left to right and right to left, the rope will obviously bend.

When I pushed the rope, it was actually more straight then when I left it alone. How can that be ?

Because you pushed a dense mass up a hill, using that rope.

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2020, 12:47:23 AM »
The point you keep missing is what you believe in has nothing to do with the reality of the physical world.
 How it operates to a large extent has been establish and is employed in many of the technologies that make modern life possible. If the science were wrong, as you like to think, the technologies would not work.....but that is not the case.
 Systems are built and designed according to the known laws which obviously work, ergo, you are wrong regardless of what you say.

The point you're missing is, you're going with a reality that you do not know to be so, in terms of reasons for why things work and their origins.
Gravity is one such thing that is used to describe almost everything we are told as our supposed reality.
That alone brings a lot of stuff into question but only as an explanation.

For instance. You go with gravity pulling in the oceans to the centre of a spinning ball. The centre of mass, as you're told.
This also supposedly pulls in the atmosphere and is supposedly the reason why it doesn't fall off, kind of nonsense.
Just this alone makes no sense and I have my own ( in my belief) much much logical and simpler explanation.

This all goes right back to gases and tension and what not.
So this isn't about things not working under my thoughts, it's about things obviously working under explanations given which I do not believe to be the true real explanations, wholly and are shrouded in alternate explanations because to tell the truth would be to tell the truth of what's really going on.

That's my opinion.

Forget about gravity and let’s just focus on the tensile strength test. To recap a machined test piece of a known material and composition is placed in the jaws of a machine where it is pulled apart till failure. Do you have a problem with the reality of that? This basic experiment is carried out all over the world every day. The reality is before materials are used for any construction work the properties of the materials need to be determined. That is the reality of the world. Another reality is metals are not porous. I along with possibly millions of others have carried out a range of tests on metals and none are porous at a molecular level. If you knew anything about the crystalline structure of metals You would not keep saying they are. Hydrogen, the smallest molecule is happily kept in steel containers. Even the very small hydrogen atoms are held in place. Fill a tank with any gas, check the pressure, check the pressure a week later and it will still be the same assuming all the seals are good.

Tensile strength is a reality
Porosity in metals at a molecular level is nonsense
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Timeisup

« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2020, 12:50:28 AM »

One of the benchmarks in material strength is determining the Young’s modulus of the material, or its tensile strength. To carry out the test  the material is pulled till it breaks. No pushing involved as is shown here...

Take a look at it.

I don’t need to look at it I’ve performed this test many many times. The machine stretches the material till it yields.....that’s why the diameter at point of failure decreases and the overall length increases. Do you have a problem with the reality of a Young’s modules test?
Really…..what a laugh!!!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2020, 01:09:12 AM »
Forget about gravity and let’s just focus on the tensile strength test. To recap a machined test piece of a known material and composition is placed in the jaws of a machine where it is pulled apart till failure.
 Do you have a problem with the reality of that?
yes.
There is no pull.
This basic experiment is carried out all over the world every day. The reality is before materials are used for any construction work the properties of the materials need to be determined. That is the reality of the world.
Agreed.

Another reality is metals are not porous.
That's not a reality.

I along with possibly millions of others have carried out a range of tests on metals and none are porous at a molecular level. If you knew anything about the crystalline structure of metals You would not keep saying they are.
They are porous.

Hydrogen, the smallest molecule is happily kept in steel containers. Even the very small hydrogen atoms are held in place. Fill a tank with any gas, check the pressure, check the pressure a week later and it will still be the same assuming all the seals are good.
Smallest by compression or largest by expansion?
Superfluids would breach the container. Basically find the porosity.

It depends how it's looked at. Back to the reality of push or your perception of pull.
Porosity in metals in a reality.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2020, 01:33:50 AM »
Forget about gravity and let’s just focus on the tensile strength test. To recap a machined test piece of a known material and composition is placed in the jaws of a machine where it is pulled apart till failure.
 Do you have a problem with the reality of that?
yes.
There is no pull.
Incorrect.
The stresses in string, rope and thin wires must be tensile (ie pulling).

Quote from: sceptimatic
This basic experiment is carried out all over the world every day. The reality is before materials are used for any construction work the properties of the materials need to be determined. That is the reality of the world.
Agreed.

Another reality is metals are not porous.
That's not a reality.

I along with possibly millions of others have carried out a range of tests on metals and none are porous at a molecular level. If you knew anything about the crystalline structure of metals You would not keep saying they are.
They are porous.

Hydrogen, the smallest molecule is happily kept in steel containers. Even the very small hydrogen atoms are held in place. Fill a tank with any gas, check the pressure, check the pressure a week later and it will still be the same assuming all the seals are good.
Smallest by compression or largest by expansion?
Superfluids would breach the container. Basically find the porosity.

It depends how it's looked at. Back to the reality of push or your perception of pull.
Porosity in metals in a reality.
Incorrect.
Good quality metals are not porous.
Otherwise compressed air, oxygen, hydrogen and other gasses could not be stored in metal cylinders for long periods.
If you disagree please post experimental evidence.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2020, 01:37:03 AM »

Take a look at it.

I don’t need to look at it I’ve performed this test many many times. The machine stretches the material till it yields.....that’s why the diameter at point of failure decreases and the overall length increases. Do you have a problem with the reality of a Young’s modules test?
I don't have a problem with the visual test, just the pull, part.

Think about what's happening without looking at the word, pull.
It's all compressive force, you just have to understand how and why.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2020, 01:44:21 AM »
Incorrect.
Nope. It's compressive force, meaning pushing.

Quote from: rabinoz

Otherwise compressed air, oxygen, hydrogen and other gasses could not be stored in metal cylinders for long periods.
It doesn't matter what quality anything is. Everything is porous.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2020, 02:35:31 AM »
Incorrect.
Nope. It's compressive force, meaning pushing.
Have you ever tried pushing a car along with a towrope?

Quote from: sceptimatic
Quote from: rabinoz

It doesn't matter what quality anything is. Everything is porous.
Not acceptable!
I said "If you disagree please post experimental evidence" and you've posted none.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2020, 02:50:37 AM »

Yep.

Timeisup

« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2020, 04:01:22 AM »

Yep.

Do you think the tensile strength of a material is irrelevant, fake, an illusion or what? How do you explain what is happening in the video?

What do you base your assertion that metals are porous on?  How do you explain away the fact that every book ever written on materials science or any experiment to look at the structure of metal will conclude that metal is not porous?
Really…..what a laugh!!!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2020, 04:23:36 AM »

Do you think the tensile strength of a material is irrelevant, fake, an illusion or what? How do you explain what is happening in the video?
I can explain it by seeing an object being compressed in many different ways that leads to structural weakening.

What do you base your assertion that metals are porous on?
Expansion and contraction.
  How do you explain away the fact that every book ever written on materials science or any experiment to look at the structure of metal will conclude that metal is not porous?
I don't need to explain it. I'm simply saying everything has some porosity, otherwise it would have no structure.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2020, 04:26:21 AM »

Yep.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I want a photo of that!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2020, 05:52:06 AM »
Quote from: sceptimatic 94
Quote from: Amoranemix 93
What position would that be and how do I do it?[4]
Are you of a position to know the truth against anything I say and if so...how?[5]
[4] Am I understanding correctly that you are asking me to tell you what your position is ?
[5] That would depend on what you say, but probably not.

It depends how you want to look at it or perceive it.[6]
If you were to push apart a liquorice lace, the grip is the same. You grip each end and push which visually shows you the lace becoming thinner. It's stretching and that is a pull to you....or your pull/tension.

But what is happening?
The tension is in the compression of the atmospheric pressure you are under and the lace, which is expanding it's own dense matter in its make up in conjunction with your push , meaning the matter becomes less and less in keeping the lace in the dense mass it was, because it's being squeezed, which is, once again....a push.[7]
[6] No. The nature of tension does not depend on the observer. The meaning of term tension does depend on the used convention. I use the prevalent scientific convention, according to wich tension is the opposite of compression.
[7] What evidence can you present that the mechanism you are describing is realistic ? You seem to say that the stretching of the lace depends on the pressure from the surrounding atmosphere. Hence, in (near) vacuum, the lace could not stretch, correct ?

See above.
You still have to prove your claims above.
Moreover, you are committing a proof by example fallacy. Even if in your example no tension were to occur, that would not imply tension can never occur, like in the tensile strength test of the steel rod, where you merely claim, not demonstrate, there is no pull.

Quote from: sceptimatic 79
If you push on a rope it will, indeed, bend. It would still compress but that's not the issue.

If you grab a rope your grip pushes that rope. If you hold the rope in both bands and go left with left hand and right with right hand, you are still pushing the rope to the left and to the right, leaving it taut.
There is no pull, at all.
As a kid, I sometimes moved a sledge uphill using a rope. I thought that I was pulling the sledge, but now I have learned that I was in fact pushing the sledge uphill with the rope. However, now you claim that doing so would have bent the rope. Yet, the contrary was true. When I pushed the rope, it was actually more straight then when I left it alone. How can that be ?
No I haven't claimed that, at all.[8]
I never mentioned bending a rope pushing that rope with a sled attached, up a hill.
Feel free to go and find where i said it.

I'll help you out with what I did say.
I said if you have a rope in both hands and push them towards each other, as in left to right and right to left, the rope will obviously bend.[9]
[8] Actually, you have, as my quote from your claim in post 79 demonstrates again.
[9] I assume that is what you meant to say and are just clumsy at admitting your lapsis. So I'll drop it.

In the mean time, the earth is still round.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2020, 09:16:33 AM »

What evidence can you present that the mechanism you are describing is realistic ? You seem to say that the stretching of the lace depends on the pressure from the surrounding atmosphere. Hence, in (near) vacuum, the lace could not stretch, correct ?

It would likely break apart if you pushed each end away from centre of the object.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:20:23 AM by sceptimatic »

Timeisup

« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2020, 03:01:32 PM »
This discussion is a classic case of how flat-earth thinking is totally at odds with the reality of how things work in the real world.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2020, 03:49:22 PM »

What evidence can you present that the mechanism you are describing is realistic ? You seem to say that the stretching of the lace depends on the pressure from the surrounding atmosphere. Hence, in (near) vacuum, the lace could not stretch, correct ?

It would likely break apart if you pushed each end away from centre of the object.

That doesn't address the question.

- Is the lace stretching ONLY a product of pressure from the surrounding atmosphere?
- Are you saying that in a vacuum, the lace would not stretch?

JackBlack

« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2020, 05:05:00 PM »
Pull is impossible when looked at properly.
That is just a claim you have repeated countless times with no justification at all.

Again, when looked at properly, it can't all be push.
If it was all push, then the material properties of the rope would be irrelevant.
2 ropes, made from different materials, but of the same dimensions, would have the same tensile strength.
But back in reality, different materials (even those with the same density) have different tensile strengths, and with some materials, the history of the material/how it is made will also effect it. e.g. long, drawn out fibres are better than just a random criss cross.

If everything was just push then if you took a rope, cut it, then put the cut ends back together, it would be magically back together. Again, this doesn't happen.

Likewise, you can consider what happens when a rope is broken while under load.
With pull, there is tensile stress in the rope. This acts all along the rope. When the rope breaks this stress pulls the newly formed ends apart.
If it was all push, this shouldn't happen (and that is with ignoring the fact that the rope should just fall apart).

You can also just consider what happens when you push vs pull the end of a rope.

If you pull an end, the rope straightens out and is dragged along, with the other end eventually moving with the rope.
When you push an end, the other end basically just sits there as you bundle up the rope.

We can also look at what happens in a vacuum chamber.
Compare something suspended by a suction cap vs a rope.
As the pressure is lowered, the suction cap, which is being pushed against the surface by the air pressure, falls off, as the push is not strong enough. Yet the rope holds itself together.

You have literally no basis at all to claim everything is push and there is no such thing as pull.
Meanwhile, there is plenty of evidence to firmly establish the existence of such a thing as pull.

Does a horse pull or push a cart?
If the horse is in front, it can't push.
You could have it push on a part of it, but that part then needs to pull the rest.

Don't just focus on what the horse is directly doing. Focus on how that force is transferred to the cart.

Try making a diagram.
You have a horse, a rope and a cart.
The horse is to the left of the cart, and is drawing the cart to the left.
How does that force get transferred to the cart.

Make sure you include the forces inside the rope as well.
It isn't just about what the horse is doing to the rope and what the rope is doing to the cart.

Then draw it the other way around, with a horse out to the right, attached to the cart with a rope, but moving to the left. Does the cart move? No.

If people refuse to try to understand it from my side
It has been shown time and time again that it has nothing to do with people not wanting to understand it and instead is due entirely to you having no explanation at all for your nonsense.

considering I know gravity is nonsense and many other things are
No, you falsely claim they are nonsense with no justification at all.
Meanwhile you still pretend to "know" that your model is right, even though it has been repeatedly explained why it is nonsense with how it repeatedly contradicts reality.

Timeisup

« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2020, 01:39:59 AM »
Is there a difference?

Let’s call this pushing or as an engineer would a compression test.

Let’s call this pulling or as an engineer would a tensile test

Flatearthers are always going on about only believing what they can see. The above clearly demonstrates the radical difference between pulling and pushing or tension and compression.

Yet Sceptamatic chooses to believe in things he can’t see.....atmospheric gasses passing into metal! Which of course is impossible.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2020, 03:45:48 AM »
This discussion is a classic case of how flat-earth thinking is totally at odds with the reality of how things work in the real world.
I'd say it was a classic case of how alternate thinking can show a totally different thought process to mainstream indoctrinated narratives.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2020, 03:51:56 AM »
That doesn't address the question.

- Is the lace stretching ONLY a product of pressure from the surrounding atmosphere?

No.
The lace stretching is the product of the force applied to it to push it apart, which would be a pressure grip and push and while that happens the atmospheric pressure immediately takes up the lessening density of the lace at those points which we see as thinning.
- Are you saying that in a vacuum, the lace would not stretch?
It would expand and become brittle. If you want to look on expansion as being a stretch then we'll deal with that.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2020, 03:55:06 AM »

If everything was just push then if you took a rope, cut it, then put the cut ends back together, it would be magically back together. Again, this doesn't happen.

Nor should it happen.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2020, 03:57:59 AM »
Is there a difference?

Flatearthers are always going on about only believing what they can see. The above clearly demonstrates the radical difference between pulling and pushing or tension and compression.

Yet Sceptamatic chooses to believe in things he can’t see.....atmospheric gasses passing into metal! Which of course is impossible.
It all depends on what you want to believe.
If there was no porosity there would be no structure.

Timeisup

« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2020, 04:25:40 AM »
I'd say it was a classic case of how alternate thinking can show a totally different thought process to mainstream indoctrinated narratives.

Its a classic case of you just ignoring how the world works. Are you saying the whole world is wrong and you are right?

Your idea that metals are porous is just so far from reality. Have you ever examined the crystalline structure of metal under a microscope?
Really…..what a laugh!!!

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2020, 04:31:54 AM »
Is there a difference?

It all depends on what you want to believe.

. X ray crystallography will show crystal structures and the gaps between the atoms.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2020, 04:39:54 AM »
And what is that supposed to mean?

Macarios

« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2020, 05:00:36 AM »
Speaking of "just pushing", how two magnets pull towards each other?
Or two charged particles, one positive, the other negative? :)

(Or the molecules of that rope, not letting the two halves to separate?)
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.