Earth from Space

• 52 Replies

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Earth from Space
« on: May 21, 2020, 05:04:24 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p072n7qd

If you like brainless entertainment popcorn flicks, this show is for you. Great for fans of Science Fiction and CGI  8)

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
Re: Earth from Space
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:32:33 AM »

If you like brainless entertainment popcorn flicks, this show is for you. Great for fans of Science Fiction and CGI  8)

Do you have any evidence this show is all fake? Have you been to any of these locations and have photos that they are not ad depicted?

I find it sad you are missing out at enjoying the wonder and grandeur of our world and think that the amazing shots and views are all just made up lies.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 03:41:47 PM »

Unfortunately I can't watch it. "BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues."

Looks amazing though.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 06:37:00 PM »

Do you have any evidence this show is all fake? Have you been to any of these locations and have photos that they are not ad depicted?

I find it sad you are missing out at enjoying the wonder and grandeur of our world and think that the amazing shots and views are all just made up lies.

It is unbelievable if only to consider our technological development is still quite primitive in the grand scheme of things. On that alone you know it's made up. Is it right? Well even a blind cat can catch a mouse eventually.

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 06:37:32 PM »

Unfortunately I can't watch it. "BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues."

Looks amazing though.

I bought the blu ray so my kid can marvel at the pretty pictures

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 06:56:59 PM »

It is unbelievable if only to consider our technological development is still quite primitive in the grand scheme of things. On that alone you know it's made up. Is it right? Well even a blind cat can catch a mouse eventually.
Who is only considering "our technological development" that "is still quite primitive in the grand scheme of things".
But you repeatedly try to make yourself look smart by claiming crap like that!

Your "On that alone you know it's made up. Is it right?" makes no sense - Your lack of logical ability stinks.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 11:31:59 PM »

Who is only considering "our technological development" that "is still quite primitive in the grand scheme of things".

Your "On that alone you know it's made up. Is it right?" makes no sense - Your lack of logical ability stinks.

No. Your comprehension is failing. You did not read the next sentence.

If they are right it is only by 'luck'. It is an incredibly small infinitesimal chance

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 02:55:54 AM »

No. Your comprehension is failing. You did not read the next sentence.

If they are right it is only by 'luck'. It is an incredibly small infinitesimal chance
You still don't make any sense - why is it "only by 'luck'"?

And you haven't answered JJA's question "Do you have any evidence this show is all fake? Have you been to any of these locations and have photos that they are not ad depicted?"

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 03:21:20 AM »

And I still think it's sad you can't enjoy the wonders of the natural world and all it's beauty because you think it's all fake. I see amazing landscapes and diverse animals and an amazing world of color and life and all you can say to that is... fake.

None of that is answering my question, what's your evidence that it's fake?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 04:15:47 AM »

And I still think it's sad you can't enjoy the wonders of the natural world and all it's beauty because you think it's all fake. I see amazing landscapes and diverse animals and an amazing world of color and life and all you can say to that is... fake.

None of that is answering my question, what's your evidence that it's fake?

The natural world is awesome. We can easily see from as high as 12km from a passanger plane. I imagine a lot of the non CGI footage is from these heights

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160311-using-cgi-to-help-our-understanding-of-the-natural-world

This is the BBC admitting to fakery. I doubt this new show Earth from Space is an exception

If the most simple explanations are usually correct then imagine the mental gymnastics of the notion we are a rock in space, spinning at 1700km/h, zooming around a Sun at 108,000km/h which itself is travelling around 792,000km/h around the Milky Way which itself is hurtling toward some region called 'The Great Attractor' at 2.1 million km/h

And you guys call flat earthers loopy ::)

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 04:39:40 AM »
The natural world is awesome. We can easily see from as high as 12km from a passanger plane. I imagine a lot of the non CGI footage is from these heights

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160311-using-cgi-to-help-our-understanding-of-the-natural-world

This is the BBC admitting to fakery. I doubt this new show Earth from Space is an exception

That's not proof of anything. I'm sure you have edited a photo at least once in your life, can I use that to claim that every photo you have ever taken is fake and your entire life is a lie?

I bet I can find a Flat Earth video that uses CGI. Therefore, all Flat Earth videos are fake. See how that works?

You have made a bold claim that all those space shots are fake. You will need some solid evidence to back this up.

If the most simple explanations are usually correct then imagine the mental gymnastics of the notion we are a rock in space, spinning at 1700km/h, zooming around a Sun at 108,000km/h which itself is travelling around 792,000km/h around the Milky Way which itself is hurtling toward some region called 'The Great Attractor' at 2.1 million km/h

We do.  ;D

Just because some people are incapable of wrapping their head around how the universe works doesn't mean the rest of us can't. I have no problem whatsoever with the extremely simple idea of how gravity and inertia operate. The universe is vast and amazing, and scary and terrifying, but it's there.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 05:48:57 AM »

No it's not! The BBC would hardly admit to fakery.
They are simply explaining how there achieve scenes and effects not possible with direct photography.

Quote from: Shifter
No great "mental gymnastics" are needed if you look at these speeds on a Cosmic scale!

Why do you see any problem in a huge Earth rotating at a sedate 0.00069 rpm (just creeping around),
orbiting the Sun at just less than 1 degree/day (that's slow),
taking about 230 million to make just one circuit around our Galaxy and
creeping towards the Great Attractor so slowly that it will take over 2000 years to cover even the distance to Proxima Centauri, our nearest known star apart from the Sun.

Look at those speeds on a Cosmic scale and we're hardly moving.

Quote from: Shifter
Yep they surely are!
The Earth and Solar System just creep along but many flat Earthers here and almost all at TFES claims that our whole system is travelling at virtually the speed of light - close to 300,000 km/sec.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 04:39:27 PM »
Do you have any evidence that this show is true? Has no CGI effects?

Or are you claiming this show is an evidence of itself?

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 05:29:28 PM »

I don't know but would bet there are some CGI effects. But then you hve to ask what is "CGI" in the specific context. For instance, in the article you provided there's this:

"Frozen Planet used CGI to animate the data from satellite imagery to show changes in sea ice cover for the polar regions."

So yeah, they used CGI. But in the specific context they took real satellite images from real satellites and composited them together. Much like if you took the 3 photos on your iPhone required to make 1 panorama image out of them, a composite of real images, would you call that CGI? Would someone you showed the panorama to say, "Oh, that's pretty but it's just CGI, your photo is fake..."?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 05:34:30 PM »

I haven't watched that show but from what you say it probably has some "CGI" effects to show things that cannot be directly photographed.

But who's claiming a show like that as evidence of anything?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:36:35 PM by rabinoz »

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 08:13:26 PM »

I haven't watched that show but from what you say it probably has some "CGI" effects to show things that cannot be directly photographed.

People could use the show to claim the earth is not flat ;)

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 09:11:37 PM »
So?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 09:42:37 PM by rabinoz »

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 09:47:57 PM »
So?

Indeed

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 01:43:49 AM »

I suppose they could. You're the one who brought it to our attention and implied it is CGI (As in faked). But until someone does use it as a claim in favor of RE, I kinda think the point is moot. That's your claim, right? That it's all fake?

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 03:53:43 AM »

I suppose they could. You're the one who brought it to our attention and implied it is CGI (As in faked). But until someone does use it as a claim in favor of RE, I kinda think the point is moot. That's your claim, right? That it's all fake?

Sounds about right. The claim seems to be he believes the world is flat, saw satellite imaginary and posted it as fake since it conflicts with his beliefs.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 05:56:33 AM »

Sounds about right. The claim seems to be he believes the world is flat, saw satellite imaginary and posted it as fake since it conflicts with his beliefs.

Are you never guilty of following your own confirmation bias?

I've made my views quite clear. I'm agnostic on the shape of the Earth for not having all the information.

Until such time I have a complete and full understanding of the universe in its entirety, then I believe only an arrogant fool would claim to have any answers.

An ASI is good, but even it isn't there yet. Only when the universe is at an age where time is meaningless and irrelevant is when it can have any degree of confidence

Know your place

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2020, 06:55:44 AM »
Until such time I have a complete and full understanding of the universe in its entirety, then I believe only an arrogant fool would claim to have any answers.
Only a fool would wait until you have a complete and full understanding of the universe in its entirety before claiming to have any answers.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2020, 09:49:28 AM »

I've made my views quite clear. I'm agnostic on the shape of the Earth for not having all the information.

An ASI is good, but even it isn't there yet. Only when the universe is at an age where time is meaningless and irrelevant is when it can have any degree of confidence

Oh sure, everyone is guilty of confirmation bias.

But I don't think you can claim being agnostic when you post about satellite imagery and say it's fake. That is a very strong opinion about the world.

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 11:34:51 PM »

.....but you do have all the information, it’s in the video, it clearly shows the earth to be a globe! The fact that you have chosen to believe the video to be fake CGI based on no more than your own prejudices is neither here nor there.

The fact that you are unable to grasp the universal dynamics currently at play that sees the earth and all the other heavenly bodies moving through space At speeds greater the 60Kph again is your problem.

As an aside how do you plan to gain a full understanding of the universe?
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 02:22:04 AM »

.....but you do have all the information, it’s in the video, it clearly shows the earth to be a globe! The fact that you have chosen to believe the video to be fake CGI based on no more than your own prejudices is neither here nor there.

The fact that you are unable to grasp the universal dynamics currently at play that sees the earth and all the other heavenly bodies moving through space At speeds greater the 60Kph again is your problem.

As an aside how do you plan to gain a full understanding of the universe?

On a human scale, confined to 4 dimensions of spacetime it may work. But what if the nature of our universe has many more spatial dimensions? What if time is only a conscious construct created by our mind and means nothing in the grand scheme of things? What if our universe is a 'holographic projection' from a 2D surface? What if we are all part of a simulation and the 'mother' universe is cold and dark and filled with nothing but black holes

What if the speed of light is the universe's actual zero speed (default) and it's only because we are going slower than the speed of light that time and 3D shapes become apparent? Without time, there can be no shape

We can see the microscopic world. Even the nano and below scopic worlds. Time is irrelevant on these scales. We exist in a macroscopic world. What if there is another world, far beyond our view that makes our universe look microscopic? Are we sure we are all there is?

If you see 'Earth from Space' and your take away is that it is a true reflection of our universe than I think you are deluding yourself. There are still many more questions about the nature of our world, our universe and our existence then can be summed up in a so called documentary.

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 04:52:22 AM »
If you see 'Earth from Space' and your take away is that it is a true reflection of our universe than I think you are deluding yourself. There are still many more questions about the nature of our world, our universe and our existence then can be summed up in a so called documentary.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Are you saying that if I see a can of Coke on my desk, it's not real because the Earth is bigger and the universe is even bigger?

Do you think that documentary is trying to explain the universe? It's showing us pictures of the world we live on. The solar system could be part of a vast galaxy, or a simulation, or in a black hole, or a white hole, or a rainbow hole, or in a bottle on Brainiac 5's spaceship, but that doesn't make those pictures fake. Or the Coke on my desk.

You can wonder all you want about what lies beyond our ability to see, but if you claim the ball earth is a lie, you're a flat earther, and might as well admit it. :)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 05:38:17 AM »

Are you saying that if I see a can of Coke on my desk, it's not real because the Earth is bigger and the universe is even bigger?

Do you think that documentary is trying to explain the universe? It's showing us pictures of the world we live on. The solar system could be part of a vast galaxy, or a simulation, or in a black hole, or a white hole, or a rainbow hole, or in a bottle on Brainiac 5's spaceship, but that doesn't make those pictures fake. Or the Coke on my desk.

You can wonder all you want about what lies beyond our ability to see, but if you claim the ball earth is a lie, you're a flat earther, and might as well admit it. :)

I'm on the fence about it. Sitting on the fence gets you a lot of splinters in your arse though. I cant seem to cut out the splinter called rabinoz though. That's a nasty one!  8)

Know your place

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2020, 06:16:22 AM »

I'm on the fence about it. Sitting on the fence gets you a lot of splinters in your arse though. I cant seem to cut out the splinter called rabinoz though. That's a nasty one!  8)

Do I count as a sliver yet? :)

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2020, 06:18:48 AM »

Do I count as a sliver yet? :)

You're getting there.  8) I dont feel like getting a pin and tweezers yet for you though.

Know your place

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 10:55:28 AM »

Hang on. Isn’t your usual position that the universe is so far beyond our primitive monkey brains we can’t hope to comprehend it?

So those numbers being outside our day to day experience shouldn’t impress you one bit.  It’s more an argument for flat earthers who want to rely solely on their eyes and feelings.  Occam’s razor is hardly gospel anyway, just something to think about.

Also, numbers being big doesn’t make the principle compilated.

Also also, not sure where you get the idea that simple solutions are usually correct?  If you’re talking about Occam’s razor, that’s about the number of assumptions you have to make.  ie.  If you fill a hypothesis with lots of things you can’t verify, there’s a good chance of getting something wrong.