Poll

In your daily life do you naturally prefer to think of the world around you as

A 2d flat surface as viewed from above from a birdseye perspective
2 (14.3%)
A 3d surface viewed from an angle with an imperceptible gentle curve under your feet forming a gigantic spheroid
12 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: May 24, 2020, 09:24:44 PM

Day to day Earth mindset

• 8 Replies
Day to day Earth mindset
« on: May 17, 2020, 09:24:44 PM »
This is another poll for everyone to enjoy.  :D All I ask is you dig deep, think about the question, and be sincere in your choice of vote.

In your stationary, or travels from point A to point B, what is the more natural or practical frame of mind you find yourself in, in navigating this glorious world?

A 2d one involving North, South, East and West with the sky above, or a 3d one incorporating imperceptible earth curvature all around, and a sky above which clings to that curvature?

C:-)

Re: Day to day Earth mindset
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 12:43:18 AM »
When I fly, I am very aware of the 3d version.  I am constantly looking out the window and trying to calculate the enormous distances  I can see on the earth's surface, and the speed of the plane and how it is still light out, or dark out due to my new perspective.   When I fly from North America to Asia, and the flight goes over the top, I am even more aware of the 3d nature.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 01:39:40 AM »
Neither.  Unless I’m particularly thinking about it, I perceive the world as “there’s a nice building”, “that’s a cool bike”, “she’s pretty”, “God, I miss the pub”, etc.

JackBlack

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 02:19:42 AM »
For my day to day life, I typically don't think much about the shape. But the giant hill makes me think it definitely isn't flat.
I also don't fly like a bird looking at the ground from high above.

But based upon what I think you meant, they are equivalent for the vast majority of people.

Although, how would you class people communicating with people far away, such that time zones become a pain?
Man life would be simpler if Earth was flat....

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 05:50:08 PM »
A curve, getting more pronounced the further I think of a distance.

Likely due to growing up in hilly terrain, when I think of a drive to the next town I think of going up and over the hills. Far away is always 'down' to me. Even short distances I think of hills, and mentally always picture myself at the top so down is everywhere.

An interesting question, I never really recognized I did that.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 01:16:38 AM »
The media is constantly bombarding us all with images of earth as spheroid. It is surrounding us all, all the time.

But, in our day to day duties, for some at least, there may be a distinct disconnect. To get the job done, my mind naturally defaults to naturally think of wherever I am in terms of north, south, east, west, sky above, and ground below. Earth curve never factors into my thinking unless I choose to think about it.

I'm interested in what you say, JJA. I''ve experienced what you talk about, but only after concentrating hard on that concept. With that concept, literally, wherever you may be in the world, you are on top of the world, looking down. It's kind of beautiful  empowering, and humbling all at once.

What about when you're not flying, stankhann? Those times when your at home or walking to the shops? Do you retain that 3d perspective in the back of your mind or does your mind default to birds eye view from above looking down?

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 06:35:50 PM »
An interesting result on the poll.....

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 07:20:52 PM »
In my day to day mindset as a civilian, in a far away from the ocean city location, I don't think much about it either way.

But when I was in the Navy , while sailing on a ship on the ocean and far from land , the 3D view as described in the poll ,  was very much in evidence when I looked out on the ocean from the ship.

At least (IMHO, that is) that is the best place to observe this 3D view as evidence that the earth is at least not some flat disc earth.

Additional thought.:
 In my work and hobbies in UHF and VHF radio communication systems, my work in surface radar systems in the Navy, and my work in microwave repeater systems , the 3D view is also very much in evidence that the earth is not a flat disc. And I do give that quite a bit of thought.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:56:02 PM by robintex »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 09:25:34 PM »
I'm not sure I communicated my poll question and answers, as best I could.

In my job, I'm constantly looking at 2d maps, and getting from A to B in the easiest and fastest way possible. Sometimes it's a matter of life and death. So in those situations, when I'm on high alert, when my senses are heightened to my immediate surroundings. My world is shrunk. Earth curvature and the big picture, doesn't even enter my mind.

But then, when I relax, at the back of my mind, I'm aware the earth must curve away beneath me, even though I can't see the forest for the trees so to speak, and am too close to Earth's surface to perceive curvature.