Anybody here made their own programming language?

• 134 Replies

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
Anybody here made their own programming language?
« on: April 03, 2020, 12:02:56 PM »
Hey, guys!
So, I was wondering, has anybody else here made their own programming language?
Thus far, I've made one programming language. It's a simplified low-level programming language, I call it AEC (Arithmetic Expression Compiler). Right now, it's not a very useful language, many things need to be done in inline Assembly even for simplest programs. Here is an example program in it, one that prints the Pascal's Triangle:
Code: [Select]
;Pascal's triangle
AsmStart
    macro pushIntegerToTheSystemStack decimalNumber
    {
        sub esp,4
        fld dword [decimalNumber]
        fistp dword [esp] ;"fistp" is the x86 assembly language directive for converting decimal numbers to integers.
    }
    macro pushPointerToTheSystemStack pointer
    {
        sub esp,4
        lea ebx,[pointer]
        mov [esp],ebx
    }
    macro pushStringToTheSystemStack string
    {
        sub esp,4
        mov dword [esp],string
    }
    format PE console ;"PE" means 32-bit Windows executable.
    entry start

include 'win32a.inc' ;FlatAssembler macros for importing functions from DLLs.
    section '.text' code executable

start:
    jmp howManyRowsString$
    howManyRowsString:
        db "How many rows of Pascal's triangle do you want to be printed?",10,0 ;10 is '\n', and 0 is '\0'.
    howManyRowsString$:
    pushStringToTheSystemStack howManyRowsString
    call [printf] ;printf(howManyRowsString)
    jmp theFloatSymbol$
    theFloatSymbol:
        db "%f",0
    theFloatSymbol$:
    pushPointerToTheSystemStack numberOfRows
    pushStringToTheSystemStack theFloatSymbol
    call [scanf] ;scanf(theFloatSymbol,&numberOfRows)
AsmEnd
currentRow := 0
While currentRow < numberOfRows | currentRow = numberOfRows
    AsmStart
        jmp currentRowString$
        currentRowString:
            db "Row #%d:",9,0 ;9 is '\t' (the tabulator).
        currentRowString$:
        pushIntegerToTheSystemStack currentRow
        pushStringToTheSystemStack currentRowString
        call [printf] ;printf(currentRowString,currentRow)
    AsmEnd
    currentColumn:=0
    While currentColumn < currentRow | currentColumn = currentRow
        If currentColumn = 0
            array(currentRow * 2 * numberOfRows + currentColumn) := 1 ;When I haven't programmed the compiler to deal with 2-dimensional arrays...
        ElseIf currentColumn = currentRow
            array(currentRow * 2 * numberOfRows + currentColumn) := 1 
        Else
            numberImmediatelyAbove := array((currentRow - 1) * 2 * numberOfRows + currentColumn)
            numberBeforeTheImmediatelyAboveOne := array((currentRow - 1) * 2 * numberOfRows + currentColumn - 1)
            array(currentRow * numberOfRows * 2 + currentColumn) := numberBeforeTheImmediatelyAboveOne + numberImmediatelyAbove
        EndIf
        numberToBePrinted := array(currentRow * numberOfRows * 2 + currentColumn)
        AsmStart
            jmp integerSignWithTabulator$
            integerSignWithTabulator:
                db "%d",9,0 ;"%d\t"
            integerSignWithTabulator$:
            pushIntegerToTheSystemStack numberToBePrinted
            pushStringToTheSystemStack integerSignWithTabulator
            call [printf] ;printf(integerSignWithTabulator,numberToBePrinted)
        AsmEnd
        currentColumn := currentColumn + 1
    EndWhile
    AsmStart
        jmp newLineString$
        newLineString:
            db 10,0 ;"\n"
        newLineString$:
        pushStringToTheSystemStack newLineString
        call [printf] ;printf(newLineString)
    AsmEnd
    currentRow := currentRow + 1
EndWhile
AsmStart
pushStringToTheSystemStack pauseString
call [system] ;system(pauseString)
invoke exit,0 ;exit(0)

pauseString db "PAUSE",0

section '.rdata' readable writable
    result dd ? ;A variable used internally by the AEC compiler.
    numberOfRows dd ?
    currentRow dd ?
    currentColumn dd ?
    numberBeforeTheImmediatelyAboveOne dd ?
    numberImmediatelyAbove dd ?
    numberToBePrinted dd ?
    array dd 30000 DUP(?)

section '.idata' data readable import
    library msvcrt,'msvcrt.dll' ;"Microsoft Visual C Runtime Library", available as "C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll" on Windows 98 and newer.
        import msvcrt,printf,'printf',system,'system',exit,'exit',scanf,'scanf',clock,'clock'
AsmEnd
The executable file is available in the ZIP-archive here.
The most complicated thing I've done in AEC is implementing a sorting algorithm I came up with, it combines QuickSort and MergeSort depending on what seems optimal. You can see the source code here (the comments and variable names are in Croatian), the Assembly code (compatible with FlatAssembler) my compiler produces for it is available here, and the executable is available here. I've written a paper about that and I hope it will get published in Osječki Matematički List.
So, does anybody else here have some similar experience?
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.
This is my parody of the conspiracy theorists:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=71184.0
This is my attempt to refute the Flat-Earth theory:

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
Re: Anybody here made their own programming language?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
I tried briefly to make my own programming language in basic on my C64. It came with a desktop-style CLI I was also programming on it.

It was fun. I programmed all kinds of programs it would load if you for example typed "Calculator" or "School math program"

This was like 10 years ago, fun times.
):

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »
I tried briefly to make my own programming language in basic on my C64. It came with a desktop-style CLI I was also programming on it.

It was fun. I programmed all kinds of programs it would load if you for example typed "Calculator" or "School math program"

What's C64? Never heard of it, to be honest. Can you share some example programs?
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »

What's C64? Never heard of it, to be honest. Can you share some example programs?
COMMODORE 64

I saved them on 5.25 floppy disk a decade ago, sold everything two years ago.
):

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 12:42:35 PM »

COMMODORE 64

I saved them on 5.25 floppy disk a decade ago, sold everything two years ago.
So, was it an interpreted or a compiled language? Which programming language did you use to create the compiler or interpreter? I used JavaScript to make my compiler, the core of it is runnable in a browser. Did you use an existing parser or did you write your own? I've written my own parser.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 12:34:28 PM »
Amazing! I can't even force myself to sit down and learn Javascript. Wasted 20 bucks on that course. Course is great, I just didn't use it.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 03:40:33 AM »
Amazing! I can't even force myself to sit down and learn Javascript. Wasted 20 bucks on that course. Course is great, I just didn't use it.
What course are you talking about?

What do you guys think, is this a real person or some chat-bot?
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 03:54:49 AM »
I am sure that this is written here to claim that readers on this website know programming. No, we do not understand these things at all, except for you and those who do not belong to you. why not you ask this question in a place where there are programmers?

PS: denpressure is a NASA programmer I never get why he is here. But he is like you, enemy of flat earthers.

We can not get even to use simple programs and you two fetö agent not belong here actually, are discussing programming here. You two fetö agents, get discuss your programming problems in elsewhere and gtfoh please.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 10:18:58 AM »
And NASA doesn't pay me enough for being here, either.
):

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 04:17:36 PM »
I tried briefly to make my own programming language in basic on my C64.

8 or 16 colors?   ;D

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 05:58:13 PM »
I tried briefly to make my own programming language in basic on my C64.

8 or 16 colors?   ;D
Who needs more than 2? ???
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 04:18:12 AM »
And NASA doesn't pay me enough for being here, either.
You can ask them to raise your pay, but if we think you work at home, every fee they pay is more than necessary.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 10:31:49 AM »
I am sure that this is written here to claim that readers on this website know programming. No, we do not understand these things at all, except for you and those who do not belong to you. why not you ask this question in a place where there are programmers?

PS: denpressure is a NASA programmer I never get why he is here. But he is like you, enemy of flat earthers.

We can not get even to use simple programs and you two fetö agent not belong here actually, are discussing programming here. You two fetö agents, get discuss your programming problems in elsewhere and gtfoh please.
Hey, listen, somebody who knows programming programming probably also understands some mathematics and physics, enough to realize why the Flat-Earth-Theory is wrong. I am not saying it's impossible for a Flat-Earther to be a programmer, just that it's very unlikely. There is also a difference between, well, programmer and a computer scientist. I seriously doubt anybody who has published computer science papers is a Flat-Earther, because, for that, you actually need quite a lot of understanding of mathematics. But maybe there are quite a few programmers here, interested in debunking conspiracy theories.

Anyway, some "dragitz" on GitHub will collaborate with me on that compiler, he claims to be able to implement matrix operations into it. I am a bit skeptical this will end up well (primarily because they will need to edit the parser code, which is rather dirty), but it's good to have some company.
https://github.com/dragitz/ArithmeticExpressionCompiler/pull/1
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 02:36:33 PM »

Hey, listen, somebody who knows programming programming probably also understands some mathematics and physics, enough to realize why the Flat-Earth-Theory is wrong. I am not saying it's impossible for a Flat-Earther to be a programmer, just that it's very unlikely. There is also a difference between, well, programmer and a computer scientist. I seriously doubt anybody who has published computer science papers is a Flat-Earther, because, for that, you actually need quite a lot of understanding of mathematics. But maybe there are quite a few programmers here, interested in debunking conspiracy theories.

Anyway, some "dragitz" on GitHub will collaborate with me on that compiler, he claims to be able to implement matrix operations into it. I am a bit skeptical this will end up well (primarily because they will need to edit the parser code, which is rather dirty), but it's good to have some company.
https://github.com/dragitz/ArithmeticExpressionCompiler/pull/1
So,  you claim you know programming better than John Davis, right? John? It is your turn.  ;D

Ah, and I cam claim majority of FE'rs here are better than you on mathematics and phsics. Ahaha.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 02:38:51 PM by wise »
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 03:06:55 PM »
I've written a lot of byte-code based languages in my life of various complexity. Most were program specific and compiled down to said byte code.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 03:10:02 PM »
As far as my qualifications for software engineering, I currently work at an international house hold name and Fortune 300 company as a Full Stack Engineer. In uni I studied Mathematics, Computer Engineering and Comp Sci: Information Systems. I have been writing code in some form or another since as young as I can remember (10 years old maybe?) starting in Hypertalk and working up from there with PASCAL, java, c, c++, etc. I have worked professionally in the field in one form or fashion since at least 2001.

I'd argue that development engineers and programmers both are well suited to believing the earth is flat in the same ways that historically the belief has been championed by inventors including Rowbotham.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 03:14:14 PM by John Davis »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 03:12:21 PM »
Speaking of C64 we started building a shark week game at our company, but the patience and time it requires was a bit more than we could stomach without it being tied to monetary initiatives. I think we got a decent enough prototype done and then interest went the way of extinction.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 01:26:33 AM »
John, we thank you for this important information you provided.

Hey, listen, somebody who knows programming programming probably also understands some mathematics and physics, enough to realize why the Flat-Earth-Theory is wrong.

Under these circumstances, you have no reason to not believe that the earth is flat until someone who knows better programming than John appears. of course, if you are not here other than simply to troll us.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 01:16:46 PM »
I'd argue that development engineers and programmers both are well suited to believing the earth is flat in the same ways that historically the belief has been championed by inventors including Rowbotham.
Having studied computer science in college, I'd say that a programmer claiming to believe that the earth is flat would be a classic example of Poe's Law in action.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 10:06:13 AM »
Quote from: John Davis
I've written a lot of byte-code based languages in my life of various complexity. Most were program specific and compiled down to said byte code.
Can you give us a bit more details? Can one feasibly implement a complicated sorting algorithm in some of those languages, as one can in AEC? Because this is not a programming language.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 11:10:17 PM »
Can you give us a bit more details? Can one feasibly implement a complicated sorting algorithm in some of those languages, as one can in AEC? Because this is not a programming language.
You are crying like all globularists. You dont respect the education at all. If a scientist supports you, he is the best scientist. If a scientist is  a flat earther, then it turns the most ignorant person in the earth in your opinion. Why so disrespecting? He is both programmer and advanced on mathematics.

What is your education that you can find a right to questioning him?
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 08:11:18 AM »

One was Turing Complete, so yes.

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 09:25:13 AM »
I started with computers, punched cards, etc. back in 1965 and it worked fine apart from a person in white that added his cards to my cards, so the computer could run. It costed USD 10000:- per card at Yokohama, Japan then! Up front! I wondered what this expensive card did. It told the computer what programming/system/blabla language was used! So I developed my own programming language ABJPXfun.1 and slipped it into the computer and it spread like a virus and since then the computer pays me every time someone lights up. I cannot complain. I have since made 10X more than Microsoft with it.

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 10:05:44 AM »
I can make a Hello world in C. Not much more, though.

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 10:11:24 PM »
I started with computers, punched cards, etc. back in 1965 and it worked fine apart from a person in white that added his cards to my cards, so the computer could run. It costed USD 10000:- per card at Yokohama, Japan then! Up front! I wondered what this expensive card did. It told the computer what programming/system/blabla language was used! So I developed my own programming language ABJPXfun.1 and slipped it into the computer and it spread like a virus and since then the computer pays me every time someone lights up. I cannot complain. I have since made 10X more than Microsoft with it.
LOL

You are full of it! your pricing can not be true for one thing. What was the name of the Maine Frame you used?
and what was project name. what was it.s purpose.
Sidenote just weather in Yokohama where are you.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:29:04 PM by MouseWalker »
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2020, 01:06:59 AM »
You are crying like all globularists. You dont respect the education at all. If a scientist supports you, he is the best scientist. If a scientist is  a flat earther, then it turns the most ignorant person in the earth in your opinion. Why so disrespecting? He is both programmer and advanced on mathematics.

What is your education that you can find a right to questioning him?
Somebody who thinks basic trigonometry says stars being 3'000 miles up in the sky would produce the same effects as the Earth being round and stars being very far away is not an expert in mathematcs. And you don't need to be an expert in mathematics to understand that fact. And somebody who claims to have developed a programming language but is unable to show an example of a short program in that language is most likely a liar, and you also don't need to be an expert in computer science to understand why. That said, I am studying computer science at the FERIT university in Osijek, Croatia. So I do have some education in the field.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

FlatAssembler

• Not a FE-er
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2020, 01:14:26 AM »

One was Turing Complete, so yes.
BF is also a Turing-Complete language, and so is CSS3, but implementing some complicated sorting algorithm in them is next to impossible.
Fan of Stephen Wolfram.

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2020, 02:32:57 AM »
As far as my qualifications for software engineering, I currently work at an international house
Is this it?

Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2020, 02:47:42 AM »
To be fair, most of what I've done is not super impressive. Most 1st level undergrad comp scientists at some point have to write a program that parses out calculations into an expression tree then traverses them taking into account stuff like parentheses via infix. Now a days lots of libraries exist that do most this parsing work for you.

Add in some additional operators, and you aren't far off from a simple interpreted language with storage, while loops and conditionals.  From there its just adding features, functions, and types etc. With an interpreted language you can mitigate most of this using some good design patterns.

Another project was a sorta zombie like grid of pixels, each with their own custom assembly language and machine emulator for that. It was kinda contagion based sorta - zombies would wander about and either mate, eat, infect or kill changing the color of any particular pixel to show this. Mating would combine two of these assembly programs together and run them.

I've also used GoF byte code pattern to do similar work; another used some clever use of introspection for class factories coupled with languages like JBehave to do effectively the same thing.

Folks that specialize in this sorta thing could wipe the floor with me.

JJA

• Math is math!
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2020, 06:06:38 AM »
As far as my qualifications for software engineering, I currently work at an international house hold name and Fortune 300 company as a Full Stack Engineer. In uni I studied Mathematics, Computer Engineering and Comp Sci: Information Systems. I have been writing code in some form or another since as young as I can remember (10 years old maybe?) starting in Hypertalk and working up from there with PASCAL, java, c, c++, etc. I have worked professionally in the field in one form or fashion since at least 2001.

Fellow C64 programmer here, so had to say hi.  It's fun to sit down and play in assembly on something simple when you get tired of dealing with massive APIs and libraries.

Your post made me wonder, if it's not too personal of a question. Do your co-workers know of your Flat Earth views? I always wondered if that was something a Flat Earth believer would discuss on a coffee break, and what the reaction would be among other professionals. Does it come up in idle talk at the start of conference calls and meetings?