Charles K Johnson Flat Earth Site / Society?

• 24 Replies

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
Charles K Johnson Flat Earth Site / Society?
« on: March 22, 2020, 10:44:19 PM »
Did anybody see this site from 15 or more yrs ago?

I happened upon it researching perpetual motion and I remember it had a picture of some guy with dread locks about to dig into some river conducting some experiment. I also remember he (Charles Johnson) testafied that he could see Las Vegas(or somewhere in the dessert?) acoross the desert at night when it was clear, from way further than shoulod be possible (40 or 80 miles if my memory serves me).

It piqued my curiousity all those years ago.
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Charles K Johnson Flat Earth Site / Society?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 01:34:54 AM »

I happened upon it researching perpetual motion and I remember it had a picture of some guy with dread locks about to dig into some river conducting some experiment. I also remember he (Charles Johnson) testafied that he could see Las Vegas(or somewhere in the dessert?) acoross the desert at night when it was clear, from way further than shoulod be possible (40 or 80 miles if my memory serves me).

And claims like "he could see Las Vegas (or somewhere in the dessert?) acoross the desert at night when it was clear, from way further than shoulod be possible (40 or 80 miles)" are totally meaningless without knowing the correct distance and the heights of Charles Johnson and Las Vegas + buildings.

Even then it means little if it is not repeatable at different times of day.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 02:53:18 PM »

And claims like "he could see Las Vegas (or somewhere in the dessert?) acoross the desert at night when it was clear, from way further than shoulod be possible (40 or 80 miles)" are totally meaningless without knowing the correct distance and the heights of Charles Johnson and Las Vegas + buildings.

I was  rrying to start a discussion/requesting info, shill off me.
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 04:38:52 PM »
Rabinoz, this wasn't the kind of thread you should reply to.
           -them

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 05:17:57 PM »

I was  trying to start a discussion/requesting info, shill off me.
Starting "a discussion/requesting info" is good but you posted something Charles Johnson is supposed to have said without any link as to where he said it making it very hard for anyone to follow it up.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 07:56:41 AM »
This is the kind of thread he is paid to monitor. Well actually all the threads on here.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 09:06:30 AM »
I'll reach out to Daniel and do some additional research to follow up. No promises but I'll report back if I can dig anything up.

You know, because its not hard to follow up Rab, you just don't give enough of a damn.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 03:23:23 PM »
And why not? But you might like to read this about Charles K Johnson: The Flat-out Truth: Earth Orbits? Moon Landings? A Fraud! Says This Prophet by Robert J. Schadewald.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 03:30:32 PM »
I'll reach out to Daniel and do some additional research to follow up. No promises but I'll report back if I can dig anything up.

You know, because its not hard to follow up Rab, you just don't give enough of a damn.
I have been trying to chase it, thank you Mr Davis!
And if "its not hard to follow up" why haven't YOU done it and given a reference to it?
I can find no reference to Charles Johnson saying anything like that but it is something he quite likely would say.

And my point has always been claims like "(Charles Johnson) testafied that he could see Las Vegas(or somewhere in the dessert?) acoross the desert at night when it was clear, from way further than shoulod be possible (40 or 80 miles if my memory serves me)" are meaningless without knowledge of the distances and heights.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 10:29:18 PM »
I am completely amazed that there is not a copy/version or remnant of this site a person coulld still visit today, but also not in a way. I wonder why they took it down, i wonder if they were spooked by some fire they had (at there house?) - don't know details. Talk about a hot topic! Hmm

I tried typing in Charles Johnson flat earth on th way back machine, but I"ll have to do some research to learn what that thing even is...

John did you ever talk To Charles Johnson? From what i understand, you only got involved with the FES after he died.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 10:37:15 PM by faded mike »
           -them

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 11:15:48 PM »
why do you rely on a ghost website?
is there not an abundance of reproduceable evidence taht you could carry out yourself?

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 11:18:21 PM »
I'll just add that it was the main page if i recall that had C Johnson bearing witness to the flat earth with his story of seeing some town on clear nights across the dessert, and that he couldn't see theorized curvature.

Their was also an image to click on where the Crazy  dread lock guy and a mate were in Alaska, "near the edge" where they theorized the earth was shallowist and wanted to dig through to the other isde, which i took as kind of a joke, but whatever.

There was also a story about a mine shaft in which, if i recall, C Johnsons friend hung two bowling balls from two long lengths of piano wire so that they should have touched at the bottom but they did not, demonstrating a problem; "falsifying" i think was said.

Also famous instances of light houses and ships on the sea being seen at distances beyond expected.

But no forum back then if I recall correctly. I would estimate the site had about 100 pages of text and stories, but i could be wrong.
           -them

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 11:19:21 PM »
why do you rely on a ghost website?
is there not an abundance of reproduceable evidence taht you could carry out yourself?
I'll considr that Kabs
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 11:52:31 PM by faded mike »
           -them

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 11:50:58 PM »
I protest google...yeah....so maybe I'm missing out. I did search for info on this to no avail,

Hoppy I agree, Rabinoz that reply seems like your just nay saying, your cover is blown.

John - Tha'd be so cool, it must still exist somewhere

Rabinoz - thx for the link
           -them

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 12:01:29 AM »
I'll just add that it was the main page if i recall that had C Johnson bearing witness to the flat earth with his story of seeing some town on clear nights across the dessert, and that he couldn't see theorized curvature.

Their was also an image to click on where the Crazy  dread lock guy and a mate were in Alaska, "near the edge" where they theorized the earth was shallowist and wanted to dig through to the other isde, which i took as kind of a joke, but whatever.

There was also a story about a mine shaft in which, if i recall, C Johnsons friend hung two bowling balls from two long lengths of piano wire so that they should have touched at the bottom but they did not, demonstrating a problem; "falsifying" i think was said.

Also famous instances of light houses and ships on the sea being seen at distances beyond expected.

But no forum back then if I recall correctly. I would estimate the site had about 100 pages of text and stories, but i could be wrong.

wtf do bowling balls on string that's not long enough prove?

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 12:02:25 AM »
and seriously
no one else in all these years was able to reproduce this?
such easily debunkable experiments?

JackBlack

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 02:37:47 AM »
I tried typing in Charles Johnson flat earth on th way back machine, but I"ll have to do some research to learn what that thing even is...
The idea is you type in a website and see what it looked like in the past.
For example:
https://web.archive.org/web/20051102064934/http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/

Is what their homepage looked like in 2005.

Unfortunately it doesn't archive everything.
For example, I can browse to the forums to see forum listings, but can't actually view the topics, or even their titles. When I try to I get a page from 2007.

JackBlack

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 02:51:49 AM »
Assuming it was 4 km deep, that would reduce the circumference by roughly 25 km. Or to put it another way, by roughly 0.06 %.
Assuming the string was 1 m apart at the surface, that would bring them to roughly 0.6 mm closer.

Or to go the other way:
Assuming it was 4 km deep, with the balls just touching 4 km below the surface, and the balls having a diameter of 22 cm, such that the centres were 22 cm apart, and assuming that the force of gravity was directly down towards the centre of Earth, then at the surface, some 4 km higher up, the distance between the centre of the balls would be 22.0138... cm, i.e. they would be roughly 0.14 mm apart. Basically nothing, far too small to reliably set up.

This is another example of the kind of arguments put forwards by FEers.
They present somethign which superficially appears to support a FE, but when critically examined, the claim is childish.
It doesn't even matter if the experiment was carried out or not, it would prove nothing.
It is no better than trying to "refute" the motion of Earth (or say a train travelling at 100 km/hr) by saying if you drop something it appears to go down, rather than flying backwards at tremendous speed (say 100 km/hr).

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 07:01:33 AM »
Funny this ONE vague and really difficult experiment is referenced but all the bridge builders and tunnellers who also account for curve adjustment are just what?   Part of the conspiracy?

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 03:01:19 PM »
I was noting the little bit of content i rememberred from the site. Personally  the bowling ball experiment  didn't grab me, but they may have been capitaliing on a situation/opportunity, or maybe it was a really succeesful experiment.

I almost remember they said the balls actually seperated, but i'm just speaking freely.

Edit: I remember now, they didn't say the balls seperated.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:38:38 PM by faded mike »
           -them

JackBlack

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 02:52:38 AM »
I was noting the little bit of content i rememberred from the site. Personally  the bowling ball experiment  didn't grab me, but they may have been capitaliing on a situation/opportunity, or maybe it was a really succeesful experiment.

I almost remember they said the balls actually seperated, but i'm just speaking freely.
And I pointed out how even in ideal circumstances, it isn't a successful experiment at all. The difference is too small to to be noticed unless you have a very precise setup and very accurate measuring devices. If they separated that would be a problem for the FE as well. For the RE, I woul dneed to check about the gravitational attraction from the sides of the mine.
It is just blatant dishonesty, providing an experiment which may or may not be real which doesn't support FE at all, while pretending it magically refutes the globe.
The question then arises that if they are so willing to provide such false information, why trust them with anything else they say?

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 09:47:05 PM »

And I pointed out how even in ideal circumstances, it isn't a successful experiment at all. The difference is too small to to be noticed unless you have a very precise setup and very accurate measuring devices. If they separated that would be a problem for the FE as well. For the RE, I woul dneed to check about the gravitational attraction from the sides of the mine.
It is just blatant dishonesty, providing an experiment which may or may not be real which doesn't support FE at all, while pretending it magically refutes the globe.
The question then arises that if they are so willing to provide such false information, why trust them with anything else they say?
Really? you thinnk that would be a gravitational issue? I would say electro magnetic.

Jack, I've seen the flatness, I believe. Did you ever think it was flat?

Maybe your disbelieving brain blocks it out or you just see whatever you believe. I've heard the human brain filters out 80% of all stimulus.

I don't kow man, this was just some casual talk generally about flat earth stuff, not meant to convince a disbeliever.Is it your mandate that you won't allow a flat earth statement to go unchecked here on the FES web site? Pls answwer this specific question.
           -them

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 10:21:35 PM »
The irony...

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 11:33:04 PM »

Really? you thinnk that would be a gravitational issue? I would say electro magnetic.
With such as a nebulous bit of information you have given nobody could possibly answer anything so far I see no issue.
When you find the details of that experiment then someone might comment intelligently on it.

Quote from: faded mike
I'm not Jack but I've seen the "flatness" too!

Oops, what's that hidden by all that flat horizon? It looks like all that flatness managed to hide most of Chicago - how could that happen?

Let's try again:

Sunset Karumba on Aug 8, 2007 at 6:25:02 PM

Sunset Karumba on Aug 8, 2007 at 6:25:29 PM

Sunset Karumba on Aug 8, 2007 at 6:25:57 PM
All that great amount of "flatness" seems to have swallowed up the sun too.

We can see all of Rottnest Island and Bathurst Lighthouse
from 100 feet above sea-level. So let's run down the hill for a closer look:

Bathurst Lighthouse from 100 ft above sea-level.
      Oops, where's Rottnest Island gone and part of the lighthouse's missing.
I wonder what's hiding that? Might it be the curved ocean surface?

Bathurst Lighthouse from 6 to 8 ft above sea-level
So sure, the horizon looks flat but things from ships, lighthouses, cities and even the Sun can get hidden behind the curve.

Maybe your disbelieving brain blocks it out or you just see whatever you believe. I've heard the human brain filters out 80% of all stimulus.
Have you ever thought that maybe your disbelieving brain blocks it out or you just see whatever you believe?

I don't kow man, this was just some casual talk generally about flat earth stuff, not meant to convince a disbeliever.Is it your mandate that you won't allow a flat earth statement to go unchecked here on the FES web site? Pls answwer this specific question.
I don't know about JackBlack but I simply try to point our where I honestly believe people are coming to the wrong conclusion.

JackBlack

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 01:17:31 AM »
There are many possibilities. But the important part is that it in no way supports a FE as the difference between RE and FE is so minor.

How have you seen the flatness? I have seen literally nothing of Earth that indicates it is flat.
At the small scale it is far too irregular to appear as Earth being flat.
At the large scale, there is only the appearance of it being round, such as being able to see at variable distance depending on height, and seeing objects over the horizon.

Just how have you "seen the flatness"?

Maybe your disbelieving brain blocks it out or you just see whatever you believe.
Again the double standard.
Have you thought of applying that to yourself?
Have you thought that you are happy to just appeal to ignorance

The problem is you started to make claims about reality, while leaving it quite vague. That appears to be what a lot of FEers latch onto to try and say Earth can't be round.
They reference some vague experiment or observation with no details, which may or may not show Earth is flat or round, and act like it means Earth is flat.

If you want to have a discussion without making vague claims about reality, that is fine and I wont interrupt. (For example, you could talk about Johnson, without bringing up claims about his experiments which allegedly show Earth to be flat, and that would be fine.)
Alternatively, if you want to have a discussion where people like me can't interrupt, there is a "believers only" section to talk in, where REers like me aren't allowed.