What flat earth experiment?

• 54 Replies
What flat earth experiment?
« on: February 24, 2020, 08:50:32 PM »
John Davis : November 15, 2019, 11:14:22 AM
The concept is re-appropriation of the day for the true earth. It is suggested that each flatist on this day performs an experiment in public to expose the globularist orthodoxy as dupes.
Please explain at least one.
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

rvlvr

Re: What flat earth experiment?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 10:55:59 PM »
I guess I have no flatists living around me as I have never heard of any experiments out in the open. Thered be a nice park and all.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 01:53:14 AM »
This does bring up an interesting idea though.  There is an easy and relatively inexpensive experiment a flat earther can do.  A weather balloon.

There are kits online.  YouTube is full of videos of people and students getting these kits and sending them up.  There are online tutorials to explain everything anyone needs.

This way the person(s) doing the flight get to control everything...especially the camera(s) used.  It could potentially get a much more definitive answer than taking pictures of disappearing skylines or oil rigs.

Heck, if there is a flat earther living in the New England area (USA) I'd be willing to partner with them on such a project.  We could do all the setup and testing side by side and not send anything up until everyone agrees it's ready...just a thought.

Mike
Since it costs 1.82 to produce a penny, putting in your 2 if really worth 3.64.

rvlvr

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 02:13:57 AM »
Always wanted to visit New England (Lovecraft country, the short stories setting, to be exact). But I am no FE.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 03:52:57 PM »
Ever heard of the candle experiment? 
You can't fix FE.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 04:52:39 PM »
Ever heard of the candle experiment?
He complains that no one did his "candle experiment" yet he never attempted it himself! Go figure!

And the The Shipping Crate Experiment Message by John Davis on January 23, 2017, 09:47:43 AM

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 05:21:03 PM »
Look at the 55 second mark

edit: the 55s mark image i saw is too difficult to stop at
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:15:07 PM by faded mike »
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

I am not a druggy

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 05:21:40 PM »
This was not called a flat earth experiment.
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

I am not a druggy

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 06:03:03 PM »
Look at the 55 second mark

And look at the 40 to 44rd second part ;D.

Watch this weather balloon launch into the stratosphere at 4:44

They are both due to barrel-distortion in the lens used (probably on a GoPro camera).

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 07:49:14 PM »
On second thought, that probably was a flat earth experiment, because it came up when i searched flat earth weather baloon looking for the vid that the flat earth community was showing a year or two ago... we all know the one, but this first

and 2.5 pages later, it looks like they don't want people talking about this

edit :This was one of or the first "flat earth" title in the search returns

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:17:05 PM by faded mike »
           -them

I am not a druggy

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 07:56:31 PM »
epic!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 07:58:39 PM by faded mike »
           -them

I am not a druggy

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 08:18:18 PM »
I wonder if Go Pro, with its fish eye lenses, have done more harm or good to the Flat earth movement?

On the one hand we have tough cameras that can go everywhere
On the other hand they distort all images

On the topic of what experiment flat earth people can do to show the shape of the world.
The experiment has to be very simple, because very few people have access to any fancy equipment. And even a little bit of effort is usually rejected as too complicated. This who field seems to be mostly "armchair scientists"

But I think the simplest experiment is to just find a beach on a clear calm day and look at ships.
Where I live I can see parts of the city dispensary under the horizon from certain spots. No experiment is easier.
Do all Flat Earth people live inland?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 08:29:46 PM »
On second thought, that probably was a flat earth experiment, because it came up when i searched flat earth weather baloon looking for the vid that the flat earth community was showing a year or two ago... we all know the one, but this first

and 2.5 pages later, it looks like they don't want people talking about this

Flat Earth Addict is a deceptive cherry-picker who found 5 minutes of a longer video by Christopher Farms that suited his agenda and posted only that!

You might read this: The Little Piggy Balloon Footage Proves Earth is a Sphere, not Flat

And look and this at 0:10 and other places:

Little Piggy High Altitude Balloon Flight - Raw Video Pt 13 by Christopher Farms

Christopher Farms was using a so-called "fish-eye lens" and when the horizon is above centre is looks excessively curved, when it crosses the centre it's close to realistic and when below the centre it curves the wrong way.

Christopher Farms has many similar videos, possibly segments of the same flight on his YouTtube channel at:
The Flight of Little Piggy - A High Alititude Balloon by Christopher Farms.

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 09:59:21 PM »
epic!

Sorry, i got carried away, this was the video i wanted to post and say no more. I understood it to be bonafide flat earth footage, but i apologize as i don't even know for sure if this is the vid and don't have time right now to search throught all the garbage returns that have nothing to do with the search parameters.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:18:53 PM by faded mike »
           -them

I am not a druggy

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 10:17:57 PM »
I wonder if Go Pro, with its fish eye lenses, have done more harm or good to the Flat earth movement?

On the one hand we have tough cameras that can go everywhere
On the other hand they distort all images

On the topic of what experiment flat earth people can do to show the shape of the world.
The experiment has to be very simple, because very few people have access to any fancy equipment. And even a little bit of effort is usually rejected as too complicated. This who field seems to be mostly "armchair scientists"

But I think the simplest experiment is to just find a beach on a clear calm day and look at ships.
Where I live I can see parts of the city dispensary under the horizon from certain spots. No experiment is easier.
Do all Flat Earth people live inland?
Why do they call you wolf, is it safe to talk to you?
           -them

I am not a druggy

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 11:02:52 PM »
Had craze insomnia at university, so was always awake late at night.

Im fairly sure I wont be able to bite you, your probably very far.
If I was a fox, my words would be more troublesome though.

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 03:00:18 PM »
Would faded be a followerer of alex jones?

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 04:37:57 PM »
PM me
           -them

I am not a druggy

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »
Had craze insomnia at university, so was always awake late at night.

Im fairly sure I wont be able to bite you, your probably very far.
If I was a fox, my words would be more troublesome though.
OK
           -them

I am not a druggy

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 06:03:35 PM »
Sow far no flat earther response hummm.
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 01:44:36 PM »
You can review our library to find literally thousands of experiments which show the earth is not a globe.
Quantum Ab Hoc

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 02:19:43 PM »
You can review our library to find literally thousands of experiments which show the earth is not a globe.
Do you mean like these:
Quote from: William Carpenter
One Hundred Proofs that the Earth is Not a Globe
1. The aeronaut can see for himself that Earth is a Plane. The appearance presented to him, even at the highest elevation he has ever attained, is that of a concave surfacethis being exactly what is to be expected of a surface that is truly level, since it is the nature of level surfaces to appear to rise to a level with the eye of the observer. This is ocular demonstration and proof that Earth is not a globe.

2. Whenever experiments have been tried on the surface of standing water, this surface has always been found to be level. If the Earth were a globe, the surface of all standing water would be convex. This is an experimental proof that Earth is not a globe,

3. Surveyors operations in the construction of railroads, tunnels, or canals are conducted without the slightest allowance being made for curvature, although it is taught that this so-called allowance is absolutely necessary! This is a cutting proof that Earth is not a globe.

4. There are rivers that flow for hundreds of miles towards the level of the sea without falling more than a few feetnotably, the Nile, which, in a thousand miles, falls but a foot. A level expanse of this extent is quite incompatible with the idea of the Earths convexity. It is, therefore, a reasonable proof that Earth is not a globe.

5. The lights which are exhibited in lighthouses are seen by navigators at distances at which, according to the scale of the supposed curvature given by astronomers, they ought to be many hundreds of feet, in some cases, down below the line of sight! For instance: the light at Cape Hatteras is seen at such a distance (40 miles) that, according to theory, it ought to be nine-hundred feet higher above the level of the sea than it absolutely is, in order to be visible! This is a conclusive proof that there is no curvature, on the surface of the seathe level of the sea,ridiculous though it is to be under the necessity of proving it at all: but it is, nevertheless, a conclusive proof that the Earth is not a globe.

Those at least are just unsubstantiated statements so can you point to something more substantial.

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2020, 01:22:36 PM »

Found in one place only, nonreproduceable or substantiated by anyone or any other 3rd party.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 01:59:03 PM »

Found in one place only, nonreproduceable or substantiated by anyone or any other 3rd party.
Within our library are reproductions and scans of works that are available at your local library through interlibrary loan. Many of the works contained are peer reviewed journals, and all of them have been peer reviewed in some form.

Those results that meet the metle of peer review have been verified by both third parties and for reproducibility.

You can surely find more of our peer reviewed journals with minimal effort.
Quantum Ab Hoc

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 03:46:01 PM »

Within our library are reproductions and scans of works that are available at your local library through interlibrary loan. Many of the works contained are peer reviewed journals, and all of them have been peer reviewed in some form.

Those results that meet the metle of peer review have been verified by both third parties and for reproducibility.

If you do have any "peer-reviewed journals" why are you so reluctant to reveal them.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 04:21:17 PM »

If you do have any "peer-reviewed journals" why are you so reluctant to reveal them.
I'm not. There have been plenty over the years. Like I said, visit your local library or our library.

The Earth Not a Globe Review comes to mind as an early example.
Quantum Ab Hoc

Stash

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 05:03:20 PM »

I'm not. There have been plenty over the years. Like I said, visit your local library or our library.

The Earth Not a Globe Review comes to mind as an early example.

The Earth Not a Globe Review contains a "Correspondence" section in each issue. I wouldn't consider a 'Letter to the Editors' section such that this is as peer review. Maybe your definition of peer review is different than mine. Mine is more like an objective thorough evaluation of a published work that is separate and distinct. Not the sort of fan letters found within the the ENAG Review itself.

Is there anything else you would consider 'peer reviewed' under its more modern definition?

Edit: As an aside I found this interesting. In Issue No.3 (1893), Rowbotham is referred to as Dr. Birley)

"We cannot repeat the evidence here; but those who want it may find the evidence given in an excellent book by Parallax (Dr, Birley) which has never yet been answered."

I assume because at that time he was more famous as the extended life Elixir purveyor than Flat Earth lecturer?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 05:24:07 PM by Stash »
No. That sudden lurch forwards is the atmospheric slosh effect.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2020, 05:37:45 PM »
Yes, his credentials are well known.

I can consider something to be peer reviewed if it was reviewed by the authors peers before publication and afterwards. The methodology of this review can consist of a great many methodological tools and practices such as collaboration, internal consistency, replication and so on.

I think you are upset because it was not reviewed by your, or rather your beliefs peers. This is a simple misunderstanding. Your peers are not ours.

Aside from that modern peer review is a joke.
Quantum Ab Hoc

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 05:38:33 PM »
Perhaps we shall submit some of our tensor flow flat earth forum post generator for your golden modern "peer review."

I kid of course.
Quantum Ab Hoc