RIP Mike Hughes

• 71 Replies

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
Re: RIP Mike Hughes
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2020, 05:54:07 PM »
Keep it civil and on topic folks. No need to take cheap shots at each other in a thread about someone who just died doing something they loved. Someone who left behind a family that is in mourning. AR is still open and accepting patrons who care to participate in banter that belongs in that board.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2020, 06:06:54 PM »
This is breaking news, but it seems Mike Hughes has died in an attempt to launch his homemade rocket.

Rest in piece, you crazy MF'er!
what do you mean calling him a MFer

In this context, it is a colorful term of endearment
I never understood that one

When I die I would be happy being called a stupid MF'er

(that's after I die.  :D)
Why?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:10:35 PM by faded mike »
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

magellanclavichord

• Cheerful Globularist
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2020, 06:10:41 PM »
Many terms can be insults or terms of endearment, depending on the tone. I generally avoid using insults as endearments, as they can be misunderstood, but that's just me.

The more I read these two threads, the more I think I would have liked Mike. I'd have been too scared to come within a mile of any of his rockets, but I think I would have enjoyed his company and hearing him explain how they work, and what it feels like to fly in them.

magellanclavichord

• Cheerful Globularist
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2020, 06:12:50 PM »

After you die you won't know what anybody is calling you.  ::)

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2020, 06:22:00 PM »

exactly

magellanclavichord

• Cheerful Globularist
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2020, 06:30:36 AM »

exactly

Which means you won't be happy or sad. You won't be anything.

I don't care what people call me after I'm dead because I won't exist any more. But then, I don't much care what people call me now.

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2020, 10:20:57 AM »
What evidence is there that Mike Hughes in fact died in the supposed Feb 22 rocket "launch"?

Reports from colleagues and witnesses (unreliable and possibly with other motives).

Mainstream news outlet reports (suspect).

Supposed launch carried out on private property (suspect).

The San Bernadino County Sheriff's office responded to the fatal rocket crash off Highway 247 in Barstow. The Sheriff's Office did not identify Hughes in a statement, saying only that authorities had pronounced a man (!) dead at the scene of the rocket crash. The Science Channel later confirmed Hughes' death. (Law enforcement, doubly suspect. "Science" Channel, triply suspect.)

"Video" of a "launch." We all know how critically video evidence is regarded here.

Darren Shuster, his public relations representative, stated: "We used flat Earth as a PR stunt... Flat Earth allowed us to get so much publicity that we kept going! I know he didn’t believe in flat Earth and it was a schtick." If Hughes and his team are willing to lie about Flat Earth, what else might they concoct as a "stunt"?

Is there other untainted evidence?

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2020, 12:15:44 PM »
After talking with his press guy a bit, I have found out he runs the Infinite Plane Society and apparently we share a lot of beliefs. He is having a memorial which if you'd like to attend you can find more about on their page.

Hamzah

• The Exposer Of Insecurities
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2020, 07:38:38 PM »
Apparently, he had more than one parachute. It looks like Mike went to sleep from all the G forces.
Deaf, dumb, and blind, they will not return (to the path). Al-Baqara (The Cow) - 2:18

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2020, 08:04:26 PM »
Apparently, he had more than one parachute. It looks like Mike went to sleep from all the G forces.

More info:

Waldo Stakes, Hughes’ long time rocket partner, wrote in an impassioned Facebook post that, at the rocket’s highest point, the crew began to frantically message Hughes to deploy the other parachutes—the buttons were “right at his fingertips”—but got no reply...“The chutes were found not deployed in the wreckage,” wrote Stakes, who did not respond to a request for comment from VICE. “He never tried to fire them. It will always be a mystery and no one will ever know for sure.”

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/939nnz/mad-mike-hughes-was-a-daredevil-first-flat-earther-second

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2020, 07:06:25 AM »
They tried to "message him"??

Like, text message??

Priorities are: aviate, navigate, communicate.

Perhaps he was replying to a text when he slammed into the earth.!?
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2020, 09:59:29 AM »
We will be sponsoring a donation fund to help others like Mike (daredevils or flatists or hopefully both.)

I believe it will be discussed at his memorial in more detail. Apparently my facebook post was seen by his family as well, and they were touched.