Planes Below the Horizon

• 31 Replies
Planes Below the Horizon
« on: February 14, 2020, 02:45:08 PM »
What explanation can flatearthers give for this (excluding the default fake cgi/conspiracy copouts)?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
Re: Planes Below the Horizon
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 03:17:31 PM »
What explanation can flatearthers give for this (excluding the default fake cgi/conspiracy copouts)?

Planes seem to land underwater in Marseilles International Airports, France, too :o - funny that!

Water finds its level but is still curved? by Olivier Joseph

Submersible aircraft anyone? Where did the A340 go?

Airbus A340 Air Madagascar - Height: 17 m

Airbus A340 Air Madagascar - part 'under'

Airbus A340 Air Madagascar - almost 'under'

Or another slight variation in presentation with the Brainy Beaver:
Flat Earth Debunked Again , Starring The Incredible Submersible Aircraft! by Brainy Beaver ;D - same video but with a few little Brainy Beaver twists!
As you might have guessed Olivier Joseph lives in France and most of his excellent videos are in French but many have Engish text.
I comment on the French ones in French (using Google translate) and it goes quite well.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 03:19:29 PM »
They are simply behind an artificial horizon. In some cases this is water; others land.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 03:35:28 PM »
They are simply behind an artificial horizon. In some cases this is water; others land.

What do you mean exactly by 'artificial'?

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 04:11:26 PM »

You say "simply", but the only artificial horizon I know is a flight instrument in an aircraft also known as the attitude indictor.

Can you provide a link that explains the artificial horizon phenomena you are talking about? There must be many online resources if it is that "simple".

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 04:41:13 PM »
Here the visible horizon is a water horizon but what makes that "an artificial horizon"?

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 03:32:44 AM »
Perhaps it's not such a simple explanation for being a flat earth.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 04:24:07 AM »
Perhaps it's not such a simple explanation for being a flat earth.
But very senior flat Earther, Tom Bishop, simply says, "The Horizon Line sits at eyelevel" when it is supposedly supporting the flat Earth, as in:

The Horizon Line sits at eye-level, so yes, the ground does seem to rise up with distance.

Yet when it's something that seems to debunk the flat Earth a more senior flat Earther, John Davis, says "They are simply behind an artificial horizon"!
Surely in both cases, there can be no doubt that it is the "visible horizon" that is being referred to.
I wonder why John Davis tries to muddy the waters with his meaningless statement?

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 11:34:16 AM »
I wonder why John Davis tries to muddy the waters with his meaningless statement?

Because flat Earthers will give answers that suit their flat Earth agenda.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 12:37:49 AM »

Compelling but to difficult experiment to reproduce...?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:41:37 AM by faded mike »
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 01:52:03 AM »

Is that a question or an assumption?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 02:36:29 AM »

And why would that matter? But in any case here's another example with probably a clearer view:
Planes seem to land underwater in Marseilles International Airports, France, too :o - funny that!

Or another slight variation in presentation with the Brainy Beaver:
Flat Earth Debunked Again , Starring The Incredible Submersible Aircraft! by Brainy Beaver ;D - same video

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 10:46:57 PM »
Your all giving evidence of Submarine planes, developed by NASA to take the Illuminati to their underwater hideouts protected by the Lock Ness Monster and Godzilla.
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 11:01:12 PM »
Your all giving evidence of Submarine planes, developed by NASA to take the Illuminati to their underwater hideouts protected by the Lock Ness Monster and Godzilla.
Shush! Walls have  ears and windows have eyes.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 01:07:42 PM »
No debate to be found here, move along.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 01:23:20 PM »
An artificial horizon is one made by anything other than the curvature of the earth. This would be all horizons.

It is created by the apparent height of close by waves compared to the apparent height of far away planes, ships, etc.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 02:27:16 PM »
An artificial horizon is one made by anything other than the curvature of the earth. This would be all horizons.

It is created by the apparent height of close by waves compared to the apparent height of far away planes, ships, etc.

The problem with your explanation is that in the video the author makes a distinct point of showing that there are no close-by waves, none at all. The observer is 60cm above the water, the tarmac is 2.5m above the water and the A320 is 12m tall and completely disappears. Somehow close-by waves that don't exist would have to obscure 14.5m. No such water barrier is seen in the video. Re-watch it and let us know what your thoughts are.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 05:28:47 PM »

Have you even watched either video because waves move and it could be seen whether or not they blocking anything?

Would you suggest that waves are blocking the Sun in this photo?

Sunrise - Black Sea HD, kalcymc - sun part risen
Or here?

Sunset Karumba Aug 8, 2007 6:25 EAST, 300 mm

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 09:48:46 PM »

Is this a difficult experiment to reproduce?
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2020, 10:46:33 PM »

It seems that's a question better answered by yourself.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2020, 10:59:37 PM »

The problem with your explanation is that in the video the author makes a distinct point of showing that there are no close-by waves, none at all. The observer is 60cm above the water, the tarmac is 2.5m above the water and the A320 is 12m tall and completely disappears. Somehow close-by waves that don't exist would have to obscure 14.5m. No such water barrier is seen in the video. Re-watch it and let us know what your thoughts are.
14m high waves are huge.
How many ships would have been lost that same day just between the camera man and airport?
But we also see a ship in the video, clearly showing no signs of waves.
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 11:16:00 PM »

You asked the same question earlier and it was answered: Planes Below the Horizon « Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 08:36:29 PM ».

But it's not an "experiment to reproduce" but something that can be observed at certain airports near a suitable body of water.
The first video (Airplanes Below the Horizon 2018-02-24) has these notes attached:
Quote from: Scott McPeak Gaming
Video of airplanes landing at and taking off from Oakland International Airport, as seen from across the bay in San Francisco.  The airplanes appear to be well below the horizon when on the runway.  This is evidence for a curved ocean surface, and evidence against the hypothesis that the surface is flat.

And the second video (How I destroyed Flat Earth idiocy (1) – Water finds its level?) has these notes:
Quote from: Olivier Joseph
Earth is Flat... Really ?
In June 2018, I installed my Celestron C90 telescope in Ranquet Creek on the edge of the Pond of Berre, France.
And I observed the real world...
My position was: 43°28'46.5"N 5°00'07.6"E
The distance of 16.70 km is between my position and the aiming point of the runway: Marseille Provence Airport
The visibility in Marseille seems a lot better that Oakland.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 11:29:55 PM »

Really?
Can you see any waves hiding anything in these screenshots?

Note that the horizon line is exactly the same in all three screenshots - no sign of any waves!
Are you sure it's not "Bendy Light" similar to Electromagnetic Acceleration. Flat Earthers come up with that lamest excuses and hypotheses.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2020, 12:06:35 AM »

Above the horizon then below and then lift off.
           -them

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2020, 12:22:19 AM »

You did, I hope, read the notes under the video?
Quote from: Flat World Logic

Airplane Disappears Bottom First On Flat Runway | Angle Of View | Mirage | Refraction | Flat Earth

When appearing on roads due to the hot asphalt, it is often referred to as a highway mirage. Convection causes the temperature of the air to vary, and the variation between the hot air at the surface of the road and the denser cool air above it creates a gradient in the refractive index of the air.

Normally, water in the distance is seen by its ability to reflect light off of its surface. In the case of a mirage, it is REFRACTION, not reflection, creating a similar effect. ... That's because light travels faster in warmer, less dense, air than in denser cold air.
It's amazing what you can learn if you read what is written.

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2020, 09:43:00 PM »
Damn this place is just sooooo stupid. Why even bother to call it flat earth debate?
There is no debate, just ridiculous presumptions without a shred of evidence to back anything up.
Near waves, for pete sake what an absolute cop out.

how the hell do you have the nerve to put scientist in your tag. What a joke
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:21:57 PM by mbogo »

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2020, 10:48:16 PM »

Airplane Disappears Bottom First On Flat Runway | Angle Of View | Mirage | Refraction | Flat Earth

When appearing on roads due to the hot asphalt, it is often referred to as a highway mirage. Convection causes the temperature of the air to vary, and the variation between the hot air at the surface of the road and the denser cool air above it creates a gradient in the refractive index of the air.

Normally, water in the distance is seen by its ability to reflect light off of its surface. In the case of a mirage, it is REFRACTION, not reflection, creating a similar effect. ... That's because light travels faster in warmer, less dense, air than in denser cold air.
Yeah, but it's not like there is a virw of straight ground from the plane to the immediate ground in front of the camera, the ground looks to "ramp up" to a point in between.

So how do we know that is not what is happening in the originally posted video: the ground ramping up to a point in between because of light bending?
           -them

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 05:14:39 PM »

Yeah, but it's not like there is a virw of straight ground from the plane to the immediate ground in front of the camera, the ground looks to "ramp up" to a point in between.

So how do we know that is not what is happening in the originally posted video: the ground ramping up to a point in between because of light bending?
Just compare the the clear sharp and steady water horizon in the Marseilles video with the shimmering heat haze and obvious inferior mirage in your Phuket video.

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 05:28:13 AM »
Faded desparately trying to plead for a real "busted" video.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2020, 02:44:28 PM »
Mighty Kabool KNOWING EVERYTHING
           -them