nCoV public service announcement. (IMPORTANT)

• 7715 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: nCoV public service announcement. (IMPORTANT)
« Reply #570 on: March 20, 2020, 12:29:58 PM »

EVERYTHING'S FINE.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #571 on: March 20, 2020, 04:03:14 PM »

This is not a doctored image.

The low level racism and divisiveness of this aren't really what bothers me about this.  It's that during a serious crisis he refuses to stop doing this sort of "i have the biggest inauguration crowd" type nonsense.  These news conferences he gives are terrible.  He has to talk for some reason.  And he's just wrong about most of the things he says.  Then there's his experts but I can't entirely trust them either because he's probably threaten to fire any expert that disagrees with him.

The highest authority that's trustworthy in this country is probably the state government now.

Someone on Twitter pointed out that it's a tactic straight out of 1984,  the message is going to be that the Chinese are to blame and the Dems are stopping Trump from protecting the people from this Chinese attack. 

Expect conspiracy theories from the looney right to fall into line with the theory that it's a Chinese attack.

Here is the twitter reference  https://twitter.com/Teri_Kanefield/status/1241017839688888321
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 04:09:01 PM by JerkFace »
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #572 on: March 20, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »
You guys can donate some computer power to Folding@home if you have any to spare https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/15/coronavirus-what-were-doing-and-how-you-can-help-in-simple-terms/
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #573 on: March 20, 2020, 04:26:18 PM »

This is not a doctored image.

The low level racism and divisiveness of this aren't really what bothers me about this.  It's that during a serious crisis he refuses to stop doing this sort of "i have the biggest inauguration crowd" type nonsense.  These news conferences he gives are terrible.  He has to talk for some reason.  And he's just wrong about most of the things he says.  Then there's his experts but I can't entirely trust them either because he's probably threaten to fire any expert that disagrees with him.

The highest authority that's trustworthy in this country is probably the state government now.

Trump is a despicable human being. The lowest of the low. The scum of scum. How anyone in good conscience can still support this sub human is beyond me.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #574 on: March 20, 2020, 09:51:19 PM »
So,  does anybody have a clue about the end game is going to play out?

Seems like the current plan is that the world stops for as long as it takes for the virus to burn out,  but the social upheaval that implies could be dramatic. 

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #575 on: March 20, 2020, 10:09:27 PM »
Yeah, it's all about flattening the curve.  Hopefully the economy isn't annihilated in the process.  I have a bad feeling that the only restaurants left after this are going to be mediocre chain restaurants.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #576 on: March 20, 2020, 10:38:36 PM »
Yeah, it's all about flattening the curve.  Hopefully the economy isn't annihilated in the process.  I have a bad feeling that the only restaurants left after this are going to be mediocre chain restaurants.

Yep, flatten the curve that's the current plan,  but what comes after that,  that's the question.  What is the endgame? 

How do we stop society from breaking down in the meantime?

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #577 on: March 21, 2020, 12:11:31 AM »
I'm speculating, could be way off.  But I think as people get infected then we'll be resistant to it.  Eventually we'll get to the point where it isn't nearly as lethal or infectious.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #578 on: March 21, 2020, 01:25:38 AM »

Yep, flatten the curve that's the current plan,  but what comes after that,  that's the question.  What is the endgame? 

How do we stop society from breaking down in the meantime?

I'm guessing at some point soon, peoples homes will reach peak saturation point for toilet paper and other food staples diminishing this stupid FOMO bug everyone seems to have caught. The government in the UK has promised? 80% wages for 3 months to those that lost their jobs because of this I believe (not sure if every industry). Hopefully our government comes to the party. Our banks need to bright enough to freeze their expectations for the next few months and see that having many people go bankrupt, lose their homes and businesses is not in their long term interest. They are rich enough to ride this out and resume once society can resume. Tax payers have helped prop up the banking sector for long enough. It's time we collect

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #579 on: March 21, 2020, 03:19:13 AM »
I'm speculating, could be way off.  But I think as people get infected then we'll be resistant to it.  Eventually we'll get to the point where it isn't nearly as lethal or infectious.
Those people that do get infected apparently do develop an immunity for at least a few years.
I don't know that anyone is suggesting that this immunity can be transferred from person to person.

So if no vaccine is developed it is not unlikely that enough will be infected for the rate to naturally fall off.
At a guess that could mean somewhere around 60% becoming infected and that's not far off the governor of California's prediction.

But who knows? Ask an expert.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #580 on: March 21, 2020, 03:25:59 AM »
Those people that do get infected apparently do develop an immunity for at least a few years.
I don't know that anyone is suggesting that this immunity can be transferred from person to person.

So if no vaccine is developed it is not unlikely that enough will be infected for the rate to naturally fall off.
At a guess that could mean somewhere around 60% becoming infected and that's not far off the governor of California's prediction.

I think its this 'herd immunity' is what people think will provide protection for others. But I'm still skeptical

If I am immune to the virus, it doesn't mean I cant spread it. It simply means I wont catch it.

If I took a bus and an infected person sneezed on their hand and then pushed the stop button or held the rails and then I did the same and then proceeded to go home and without washing my hands, touched the door handles, light switches TV remote etc, a non immune person can catch it.

It just means I wont get sick and sneeze/breathe it out places.

You need a large chunk of the population to all be immune to make a substantial impact. For vaccine preventable diseases I believe the target rate is 95%.

Know your place

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #581 on: March 21, 2020, 04:08:39 AM »
If I am immune to the virus, it doesn't mean I cant spread it. It simply means I wont catch it.
You're not gonna spread it if your immune system recognizes and kills the virus immediatley, because you're viral load will be approximately 0.
Of course there is still a small possibility of you spreading it by touching stuff etc.

But the thing is, if the R0 of the virus is around 2-3, then it should be enough to have about 2/3 of the population to be immune for the virus to not be able to spread (not sure about the 2/3, I don't know the math).

You need a large chunk of the population to all be immune to make a substantial impact. For vaccine preventable diseases I believe the target rate is 95%.
It entirely depends on R0. If R0 is large (measles has like 16 or so) then yes, you need such high numbers.

Anyway, it really blows my mind how people in every country talk about how to stop the virus spreading, how to keep the economy going etc except for the USA, where people discuss wether the democracts, chinese or russians are to blame. Like seriously, shut the fuck up, it's not all about you and how some imaginary enemy that tries to attack you. Get off your high horse and face reality.
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #582 on: March 21, 2020, 06:00:26 AM »

I think its this 'herd immunity' is what people think will provide protection for others. But I'm still skeptical
"This 'herd immunity'" is what stops very many unvaccinated against, say measles, from getting infected and the level of infected (or vaccinated ones) depends on the R0 value.
For Covid-19 R0 is about 2.2, for influenza 12 and for measles about 18. See:
Epidemic theory (effective & basic reproduction numbers, epidemic thresholds)
Herd immunity

Herd immunity occurs when a significant proportion of the population (or the herd) have been vaccinated (or are immune by some other mechanism), resulting in protection for susceptible (e.g. unvaccinated) individuals. The larger the number of people who are immune in a population, the lower the likelihood that a susceptible person will come into contact with the infection. It is more difficult for diseases to spread between individuals if large numbers are already immune as the chain of infection is broken.

The herd immunity threshold is the proportion of a population that need to be immune in order for an infectious disease to become stable in that community. If this is reached, for example through immunisation, then each case leads to a single new case (R=1) and the infection will become stable within the population.

If the threshold for herd immunity is surpassed, then R<1 and the number of cases of infection decreases. This is an important measure used in infectious disease control and immunisation and eradication programmes.
Note that "If the threshold for herd immunity is surpassed, then R<1 and the number of cases of infection decreases" but does not fall to zero!

Quote from: Shifter

If I took a bus and an infected person sneezed on their hand and then pushed the stop button or held the rails and then I did the same and then proceeded to go home and without washing my hands, touched the door handles, light switches TV remote etc, a non immune person can catch it.
It just means I wont get sick and sneeze/breathe it out places.
Yes, you can still pass on virus contamination but the virus won't multiply and make you a spreader.

Quote from: Shifter
The above Herd Immunity Threshold is just that, a threshold past which the "the number of cases of infection decreases" but does not fall to zero.

That target rate of 95% fits for measles where R0 = 18. For the Covid-19 it would be about 55% but with Covid-19 maintaining a higher level would be highly desirable.

But with so many anti-vaxxers around it is hard to get vaccination rates above 90%.

So like it or not the infection level will head towards 55% until a vaccine is developed and unless anti-viral drugs or some other treatment is developed probably 3% of those infected will die.
The disease is unlikely to die out until a far higher vaccination rate is achieved.

So says a non-extert anyway.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #583 on: March 21, 2020, 06:28:11 AM »
Note that "If the threshold for herd immunity is surpassed, then R<1 and the number of cases of infection decreases" but does not fall to zero!
If R<1 it will (per definition) eventually fall to 0.

Anyway, how are you doing grandpa? Staying home I hope?

Member of the BOTD

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #584 on: March 21, 2020, 08:19:51 AM »
There are multiple ways to get to R<1

Fastest and easiest is to isolate everyone,  but that comes at a social cost and shutting down society which could lead to society breaking down in unpredictable ways.   ( Witness the toilet paper panic for example),  what comes next in that scenario could be much worse.

Vaccinate a high enough proportion of the population,  would work,  but no vaccine exists as yet.

Let the epidemic run it's course and take the losses.   No government would survive the backlash and society could collapse anyway as millions die.

Of course there is a finite possibility that the virus mutates and we get hit with multiple waves of different variants,  making immunity difficult to ever achieve, R always >1

Anybody got some better ideas?   Me, I'm off to stock up on baked beans and ammo.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #585 on: March 21, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »
Why have 15 million users in China dropped off the phone network?

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1241082360323596289
Some think it could be indicative of the true number of deaths in China. Others think its the Chinese censorship at work. China does censor anything that makes the CCP look bad. Even if it's the truth

However as early as February 9, rumours that 50,000 had already died in Wuhan
https://www.ccn.com/billionaire-whistleblower-wuhan-coronavirus-death-toll-is-over-50000/

The source is apparently not credible but one can hardly say the CCP is credible either.

Know your place

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #586 on: March 21, 2020, 11:42:25 AM »

Some think it could be indicative of the true number of deaths in China. Others think its the Chinese censorship at work. China does censor anything that makes the CCP look bad. Even if it's the truth

https://www.ccn.com/billionaire-whistleblower-wuhan-coronavirus-death-toll-is-over-50000/

The source is apparently not credible but one can hardly say the CCP is credible either.
In terms of covid mortality rate, 15mio would definitely be a possible number. But it would also mean that china would be in pure chaos - there is no way they could avoid getting the news outside.

Member of the BOTD

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #587 on: March 21, 2020, 12:12:51 PM »
Isn't the whole idea of "flattening the curve" to buy us time to get equipment, supplies, and possible treatments while we wait for a vaccine?

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #588 on: March 21, 2020, 12:24:16 PM »
Isn't the whole idea of "flattening the curve" to buy us time to get equipment, supplies, and possible treatments while we wait for a vaccine?

Yeah, noone has doubted that?

Member of the BOTD

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #589 on: March 21, 2020, 12:24:55 PM »

My brother send me a story on facebook which says China is lying about having it under control.  But then again my brother is kind of a conspiracy theorist.

It seems possible on the one hand because China is secretive and likes to lie about things like this.  On the other hand it's such a large country that's connected enough to the rest of the world that it seems hard to get away with a lie like that.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #590 on: March 21, 2020, 12:25:25 PM »

I think the official Chinese posted number is correct.
Its not that easy to suppress all news. WHO still has people on the ground in China studying this. Any scientist would blow the whistle on hidden deaths, especially as high as that.
As it is, people in china are not happy about the whole ordeal. I seem to be reading a lot of social media posts that make me think that people dont realize that the people in china are real Humans. They are becoming more sophisticated every year and dont like the censorship as much as anyone else.
The world as a whole got news of Corona before it was official news from China. They had to admit it existed whether they liked it or not. There are a lot of Chinese not in china with family and friends there, so news gets out.

There seems to be lots of conspiracies trying to make it all China's fault and make them more evil than they already are. They puckered up, but then they responded well. Its up to the rest of the world to act. Any deaths outside of China is no longer their fault. We all knew it was coming.

You can blame China once they take over. :p
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #591 on: March 21, 2020, 01:25:18 PM »

Well, they were talking about the quarantine and herd immunity. We're not going to get herd immunity from flattening the curve. We're just going to sit in our toilet paper bunkers and wait to die.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #592 on: March 21, 2020, 01:38:34 PM »

Well, they were talking about the quarantine and herd immunity. We're not going to get herd immunity from flattening the curve. We're just going to sit in our toilet paper bunkers and wait to die.

Flattening the curve isn't designed to contain or stop the infection. It's only designed to not overload your medical capabilities in treating infected people.

If too many get sick at once, many people will die as they are unable to get treated properly. So they do these lock downs and when infections start dropping, they relax them. Infections rise again so lock it down again

When infections begin to rise again that should not be seen as a failure. It's the plan. Sure you could lock everything down and everyone up for 6-8 weeks and this could possibly be over. But so would society as you know it

Know your place

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #593 on: March 21, 2020, 01:44:44 PM »
Yeah, I said that a few days ago. The lockdowns are so we don't flood the hospitals, and they buy time. I really hope there is some good news about a treatment soon. The vaccine will take a long time, but maybe they will figure out a way to stop people from dying in the meantime.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #594 on: March 21, 2020, 01:49:58 PM »
They seem to have discovered some treatment options so I think it won't be very long before people in a more serious condition are being treated as a matter of course rather than experimentally.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #595 on: March 21, 2020, 01:55:28 PM »

I wish I hadn't watched this. lol

I spent the day outside in the garden, I didn't worry about the apocalypse, now I'm making up for it.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
« Reply #596 on: March 21, 2020, 02:37:14 PM »

The main goal is to not overload hospitals and their icus.

But of course, I'd hope that once about 2/3 got infected (over a longer period of time) the virus would vanish because of herd immunity. And hopefully those 1/3 that didn't get it would be the elderly/risk groups.

On the other hand, it's all really hard to predict. Might aswell be that the virus mutates a tiny bit, and we get a second wave.

Member of the BOTD

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #597 on: March 21, 2020, 04:19:59 PM »
But of course, I'd hope that once about 2/3 got infected (over a longer period of time) the virus would vanish because of herd immunity. And hopefully those 1/3 that didn't get it would be the elderly/risk groups.
I doubt if the 2/3 is realistic. The "Herd Immunity Threshold" for Covid-19 is about 55%.
All that means is that once the total of those immune from vaccination or infection reaches 55% the rate of infection will level off.

So even at 2/3, I doubt it would die out - the rate of infection might fall back to a steady level.

But "flattening the curve" is vital, not only to avoid overload of medical facilities, but to allow more time for effective anti-virals and vaccines to be developed and tested.
Quote from: Definitely Not Swedish
On the other hand, it's all really hard to predict. Might aswell be that the virus mutates a tiny bit, and we get a second wave.
As with the 'Flu. Welcome to the "New World Order ;D".

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #598 on: March 21, 2020, 04:41:10 PM »

I spent the day outside in the garden, I didn't worry about the apocalypse, now I'm making up for it.

I hope you are planting food plants. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #599 on: March 21, 2020, 05:27:48 PM »

I hope you are planting food plants.

Of course. I've got four 80' long rows of lady and zipper peas, 5 or 6 squash plants, maybe 10 cucumber plants.  I started some peppers and okra seeds, but haven't got them in the ground yet. I did plant some sunflowers, and one little patch of bee balm. Hopefully I can get some tomato plants from the feed store next week.