nCoV public service announcement. (IMPORTANT)

• 7715 Replies

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
Re: nCoV public service announcement. (IMPORTANT)
« Reply #180 on: March 02, 2020, 05:40:56 AM »
I believe the US is up to 2 deaths now and about 7-10 states with cases. I thought I had heard something about Florida having a case pop up. I'm hoping the US can hold out just a little longer as I'm getting married in 2 weeks and have a cruise to the Bahamas scheduled for the week after. At this rate, I'm starting to feel concerned the US is going to end up being blocked from international travel by then.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

magellanclavichord

• Cheerful Globularist
« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2020, 07:55:24 AM »
Yes, it's a serious disease, which is why we should be supporting the scientists who are working on developing a vaccine. And we should take the precautions against contagion that we should always be taking anyway, such as washing your hands. But in the grand scheme of all the causes of deaths, it's pretty far down the list. What can you do? Wash your hands and pressure the government to support science.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2020, 08:08:19 AM »
Florida has two cases and Governor DeSantis has declared a public health emergency. One of the people has recently traveled to Italy, but the other hasn't traveled to any of the countries where there is an outbreak.

DeSantis is handing the Florida Health Department control over the handling of the virus, which seems like the smart thing to do. Let the experts do their jobs.

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2020, 03:51:53 PM »
We got our first case in New Hampshire today. Soon, all of New England will be dead and/or just fine.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »
Quick, go to the store and buy all the toilet paper and bottled water!

Srsly, why are people in the United States buying bottled water for a virus outbreak?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2020, 04:49:50 PM »
We have 2 cases in Utah.

They're buying up all the water here too which is weird because in case you weren't aware, Mormons have a culture of preparing for disasters. 
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2020, 06:57:24 PM »

Srsly, why are people in the United States buying bottled water for a virus outbreak?
To stock up the nuclear shelters just in case ????

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2020, 06:59:02 PM »
Maybe the water treatment employees won’t be able to make it to work.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2020, 08:42:40 PM »

It's not just America that got the case of the stupid. Australia caught it too

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Lorddave

« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2020, 09:04:52 PM »
When ya got the runs in quarantine, you need a lot of toilet paper.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

magellanclavichord

• Cheerful Globularist
« Reply #190 on: March 03, 2020, 05:42:38 AM »
When you see a lot of people buying up X (it doesn't matter what X is) you start to get scared that maybe they'll run out of X, so you buy a lot of it too, so you have a supply for when they run out.

When ya got the runs in quarantine, you need a lot of toilet paper.

COVID-19 is a respiratory illness.

Lorddave

« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2020, 05:57:42 AM »
COVID-19 is a respiratory illness
Doesn't mean something else can't give you the runs.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2020, 07:23:36 AM »

Lorddave

« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2020, 07:54:42 AM »
Mike Pence was out there shaking hands with the kids in Sarasota https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20200302/coronavirus-florida-mother-and-son-at-sarasota-military-academy-under-quarantine

"See?  Nothing to fear.  I'll shake the hands of the sick to prove that there is nothing for anyone over 50 to fear."

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2020, 08:08:36 AM »
Well, he didn't know there was a kid with the virus when he went there. The Pentagon contacted the school. lol

Srsly, I hope he doesn't get the virus. People would panic more than they are already. People in Florida have been kinda relaxed about it, even though we've got a few cases now. I hope they stay calm, and just do what the experts say, which is WASH YOUR HANDS, and stay home if you get sick.

This guy was on Christiane Amanpour's PBS show last night https://twitter.com/DrPaulOffit After listening to him speak I feel much better about all this.  This is the clip https://twitter.com/camanpour/status/1234561286660214784?s=20 

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »
Better question: why does bottled water have an expiration date? ???
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2020, 04:12:23 PM »
Was in Costco today. Eggs run out. Every shopper had toilet paper in their trolley and store was about to run out within an hour of the store opening. What a joke.

People can be mind bogglingly dumb

Eggs have a shelf life! How the F can you hoard that! Some of us need to do regular shopping

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

magellanclavichord

• Cheerful Globularist
« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2020, 04:28:13 PM »
I went to the grocery store today. There was plenty of everything. There were some empty spaces in the t.p. section, but still plenty there. (I bought a 12-pack because I was down to one roll. I didn't notice t.p. in anybody else's cart.)

Better question: why does bottled water have an expiration date? ???

So you'll throw it away and buy more. But why hoard bottled water anyway? I have a 5-gallon jug full of tap water. If the water goes off, I have 5 gallons. The tap water here doesn't taste as good as my R.O. filtered water, but it's still water. Bottled water makes no sense anyway, other than keeping a 5-gallon bottle or two of tap water on hand as part of general preparedness.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2020, 04:41:11 PM »
I stock up on bottled water when a hurricane is coming because flooding can cause the water to become contaminated, and I have a private well so if the power goes out I have no water anyway. The water is only for drinking and cooking, because I have a 275 gallon tank that I can fill for flushing the toilets or any other water usage that doesn't need to be as clean as drinking water.

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #199 on: March 03, 2020, 04:55:30 PM »

It's not just America that got the case of the stupid. Australia caught it too

Insanity is more contagious than you'd logically expect.   

Me,  I'm off to invest in toilet paper futures.

Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #200 on: March 03, 2020, 06:36:44 PM »
Anyone see how Iran’s parliament got the virus? Hanging out in China?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #201 on: March 03, 2020, 08:40:47 PM »
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/major-australian-retailers-limit-toilet-paper-pack-purchases-per-customer/news-story/01e826c4375117d1aed109a66ca155a5

How pathetic.

When I went shopping I notice things that could actually be useful, like non perishable food or formula for babies was not even noticed.

I guess people have their head so far stuck up their arse they can't see anything else! My God the utter patheticness of humanity is on full display here.

Then you see how people are flogging them off on eBay for 10x the price hoping to cash in on this. Utterly depraved SOBs

Know your place

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #202 on: March 03, 2020, 08:52:57 PM »
Serious question. Why are all the shit hole countries in Africa skipping this? I'm seriously glad it's not here, but I'm looking for an excuse to buy ungodly amounts of spam.
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

Lorddave

« Reply #203 on: March 03, 2020, 10:34:22 PM »
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/major-australian-retailers-limit-toilet-paper-pack-purchases-per-customer/news-story/01e826c4375117d1aed109a66ca155a5

How pathetic.

When I went shopping I notice things that could actually be useful, like non perishable food or formula for babies was not even noticed.

I guess people have their head so far stuck up their arse they can't see anything else! My God the utter patheticness of humanity is on full display here.

Then you see how people are flogging them off on eBay for 10x the price hoping to cash in on this. Utterly depraved SOBs

In fairness, formula users are few compared to toilet paper users.  And a single can or box can last anywhere from a week to a month, depending on how much the baby eats.

So stocking up on formula for many is like 2 boxes/cans.  So stock is probably fine for the few who actually use it.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #204 on: March 04, 2020, 05:14:46 AM »
People are usually hard pressed to find them because so many Chinese students buy them and sell them to China for 3x the price. Oh well, better they don't notice it. Although if I had shares in baby formula, I could set up a picture of an empty shelf and caption 'panic buying baby formula'. Then everyone would lose their shit and buy it up before its 'too late'.

Part of me thinks we should just let this virus happen. It's rated at 2% but that's among those tested. A lot of people suffering mild symptoms could have had it and never knew.

The vaccine could be 12-18 months away. Can the stock market and panic buying be sustained that long?

If the virus loses containment enough people will get it, recover and the natural immunity will provide 'herd immunity' to everyone else.

Alcohol kills more people than this virus. We still enjoy selling it to the masses

As do we sell cigarettes knowing it could kill through cancer or other diseases

Or crappy big pharma meds that mess up and destroy a lot of lives

Air pollution kills lots of people. We still insist on burning coal and resisting renewable energy.

We seemingly have no problem with having a diet so high in sugar and fat that destroy our health, and kill us with heart disease

On balance, this virus seems minor. Looking at the absolute pathetic scenes in Australia over toilet paper of all things just makes me want to get this over with.

It's painfully obvious that trying to control the spread doesn't work

Know your place

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #205 on: March 04, 2020, 07:03:11 AM »
Here is why this virus could be worse than all those things you mentioned.

Everyone on earth has access to Alcohol, yet only 80-90k die every year
Everyone on earth has access to Cigarettes, and it kills about 6 million a year (one shit load of people)
The Flu is found in every corner of earth, and kills about 400k a year.

This thing COULD (we dont know yet) kill up to 60 million people this year according to many projections (with 60% infection rate). And, if it is like flu and mutates all the time, it could do that every year. (WAY worst case scenario)

Now consider that the world population grows by 80 million people a year, and the other things that are killing people, are still doing their thing. It means that it is entirely possible that this year could be the first year (since probably the stone age) that we see a decline of world population.
If it comes back year after year, we could see a decrease in human population until we dont have old people left.

What are we going to do without old people?!?!?!

magellanclavichord

• Cheerful Globularist
« Reply #206 on: March 04, 2020, 07:58:10 AM »
I stock up on bottled water when a hurricane is coming because flooding can cause the water to become contaminated, and I have a private well so if the power goes out I have no water anyway. The water is only for drinking and cooking, because I have a 275 gallon tank that I can fill for flushing the toilets or any other water usage that doesn't need to be as clean as drinking water.

Instead of spending money on bottled water, why not invest in a couple of 5-gallon water jugs and fill them from the tap and keep them on hand for emergencies? Periodically dump them (it's only tap water) and re-fill them so the water's always fresh.

Here is why this virus could be worse than all those things you mentioned.

Everyone on earth has access to Alcohol, yet only 80-90k die every year
Everyone on earth has access to Cigarettes, and it kills about 6 million a year (one shit load of people)
The Flu is found in every corner of earth, and kills about 400k a year.

This thing COULD (we dont know yet) kill up to 60 million people this year according to many projections (with 60% infection rate). And, if it is like flu and mutates all the time, it could do that every year. (WAY worst case scenario)

Now consider that the world population grows by 80 million people a year, and the other things that are killing people, are still doing their thing. It means that it is entirely possible that this year could be the first year (since probably the stone age) that we see a decline of world population.
If it comes back year after year, we could see a decrease in human population until we dont have old people left.

What are we going to do without old people?!?!?!

The doomsday scenario is vanishingly unlikely. It's much more likely that it runs its course, tragically kills a bunch of people, but far fewer than things people willingly do to themselves, and then either disappears or becomes one more background cause of death for people too stupid or too poor to get vaccinated. It makes perfect sense to take reasonable precautions (wash your hands!) and the government needs to fund the scientists who are developing a vaccine (the anti-science government in my country is criminally negligent!) And it makes sense to keep two weeks' worth of everything on hand for actual emergencies.

But it does not make sense to stockpile five years' worth of toilet paper when you probably only have a week's worth of food on hand.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #207 on: March 04, 2020, 08:02:26 AM »
I do fill containers with water, but it's always nice to have some bottles of cold water floating in the melting ice when the power's been out for 4 days.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #208 on: March 04, 2020, 08:10:45 AM »
Serious question. Why are all the shit hole countries in Africa skipping this? I'm seriously glad it's not here, but I'm looking for an excuse to buy ungodly amounts of spam.

Perhaps they've had a similar virus in the past which gives them some immunity. Like cowpox giving people immunity to smallpox.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #209 on: March 04, 2020, 08:29:42 AM »
The doomsday scenario is vanishingly unlikely. It's much more likely that it runs its course, tragically kills a bunch of people, but far fewer than things people willingly do to themselves, and then either disappears or becomes one more background cause of death for people too stupid or too poor to get vaccinated. It makes perfect sense to take reasonable precautions (wash your hands!) and the government needs to fund the scientists who are developing a vaccine (the anti-science government in my country is criminally negligent!) And it makes sense to keep two weeks' worth of everything on hand for actual emergencies.

But it does not make sense to stockpile five years' worth of toilet paper when you probably only have a week's worth of food on hand.
I agree with you. Chances are that it will be far less deadly than the worst case scenario. Possibly sweep through and die out.

But there is no way to know, and this is the problem.
Until we know, its a dangerous thing to ignore. The doomsday scenario is unlikely only because there is mass reaction to it. China acted fast and quarantined a large percentage of the world population to stop the spread of this. Was this an over reaction or the right reaction?

Take this analogy, your walking on a path, its very misty and you can only see 1 or 2 meters in front of you. Suddenly you come to a spot that looks like a cliff, do you turn back or jump and hope its only 1 or 2 meters deep. It could be 100m down. The best course is to probably proceed with caution and not presume its shallow.
Right now no one knows how bad this could be, and maybe cutting countries off from each other is the moderate approach. We will only know AFTER it passes.

Perhaps they've had a similar virus in the past which gives them some immunity. Like cowpox giving people immunity to smallpox.
I just think we are mostly lucky. I hope it stays this way, lots of places in Africa are not equipped to handle more health issues. Also, if this thing goes wild here I am going to Namibia, everywhere in Namibia is far away from people.