nCoV public service announcement. (IMPORTANT)

• 7722 Replies

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
Re: nCoV public service announcement. (IMPORTANT)
« Reply #990 on: April 06, 2020, 08:20:18 PM »
Any takers on the amount of dead from this thing?

I say less than 60k dead in the US when all is said and done, not counting the dead baby in Connecticut.

The truth is that currently nobody knows where this is going,  the lockdowns are only just buying time. 

60,000 dead is very optimistic.  Multiply that by 10 and you might be closer.
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #991 on: April 07, 2020, 12:56:03 AM »

I say less than 60k dead in the US when all is said and done, not counting the dead baby in Connecticut.

The truth is that currently nobody knows where this is going,  the lockdowns are only just buying time. 

You are partly correct in that due to all the misinformation flying around especially in the USA things from an outsiders perspective look pretty chaotic. The voice of scientific reason has been gagged. The USA has already overtaken every other nation on earth and is on course to have millions of cases by next week if the growth of cases carries on at its current growth rate. Who can tell the number of deaths this will produce. That we will know by mid May.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2020/apr/05/coronavirus-map-us-latest-cases-state-by-state
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #992 on: April 07, 2020, 01:36:14 AM »

You are partly correct in that due to all the misinformation flying around especially in the USA things from an outsiders perspective look pretty chaotic. The voice of scientific reason has been gagged. The USA has already overtaken every other nation on earth and is on course to have millions of cases by next week if the growth of cases carries on at its current growth rate. Who can tell the number of deaths this will produce. That we will know by mid May.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2020/apr/05/coronavirus-map-us-latest-cases-state-by-state

If you look at the data we're actually not doing quite as bad as you would think relatively speaking.

If you adjust for population we're ranked 12th for infections and we're ranked third for deaths.

So currently Italy is easily the worst hit.  Though our time might be fast approaching if measures aren't taken.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

« Reply #993 on: April 07, 2020, 03:23:55 AM »

600k dead in the US?

LOL!

« Reply #994 on: April 07, 2020, 03:24:36 AM »

122,689 dead in the US.
Ain't gonna happen.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #995 on: April 07, 2020, 03:31:25 AM »

600k dead in the US?

LOL!
If nothing were done 1% to 2% of the popular could die. If the current or steps can limit infections the toll might be far less.
But the lockdown has last till a good treatment and/or an effective vaccine is developed.

« Reply #996 on: April 07, 2020, 03:40:13 AM »

600k dead in the US?

LOL!
If nothing were done 1% to 2% of the popular could die. If the current or steps can limit infections the toll might be far less.
But the lockdown has last till a good treatment and/or an effective vaccine is developed.
It appears there are treatments that are working, according to doctors... (i.e., those that haven't been laid off, along with nurses and other health care professionals during this supposed crisis...https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/04/02/coronavirus-pandemic-jobs-us-health-care-workers-furloughed-laid-off/5102320002/)
What's with that?

I thought the hospitals were going to be overrun?

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/04/06/navarro_virtually_every_covid-19_patient_in_new_york_is_given_hydroxychloroquine.html
"You may find this interesting," he told the CNN host. "In the city that you live in, in New York, in the New York health and hospitals system, virtually every patient now that comes in presenting COVID-19 symptoms is given a cycle of hydroxychloroquine, and when I discussed this last night with Mitch Katz, who is the head of that system, I asked him, are you doing that because the federal government is telling you or because you think it may work? And he said quite clearly that it may work."

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #997 on: April 07, 2020, 05:24:08 AM »
It appears there are treatments that are working, according to doctors... (i.e., those that haven't been laid off, along with nurses and other health care professionals during this supposed crisis...Thousands of US medical workers furloughed, laid off as routine patient visits drop during coronavirus pandemic)
What's with that?

I thought the hospitals were going to be overrun?
Here we have both public (free hospitals) and private (fee for service) hospitals and much elective surgery is done by the private hospitals.

But all elective surgery and non-emergency dental work (I just squeezed in ;)) has been deferred and this lead to many nurses in private hospitals being laid off.

All COVID-19 hospitalised cases here are being treated in public hospitals - including one where one of my grand-daughters is working as an intern.
So many of these laid-off nurses and even trainee nurses are finding work in the public system.
If necessary non-COVID-19 cases in the public system will be shunted off to the private hospitals so for a while we will effectively have no private hospitals - where I've always gone ;D but we're all in it together.

I don't know about in the USA but here in Australia the hospitals are not yet overrun but neither the number infected nor the more important number hospitalised hasn't yet peaked by a long shot.

And we are just starting to test the wider community with some random tests to gauge whether there might be undetected pockets of infection.

Quote from: totallackey
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/04/06/navarro_virtually_every_covid-19_patient_in_new_york_is_given_hydroxychloroquine.html
"You may find this interesting," he told the CNN host. "In the city that you live in, in New York, in the New York health and hospitals system, virtually every patient now that comes in presenting COVID-19 symptoms is given a cycle of hydroxychloroquine, and when I discussed this last night with Mitch Katz, who is the head of that system, I asked him, are you doing that because the federal government is telling you or because you think it may work? And he said quite clearly that it may work."
Yes both hydroxychloroquine and the Japanese Flu drug, Favipiravir, are being tested.
In Australia, the TB vaccine, BCG, is being trialled, see this Irish report Coronavirus: More ‘striking’ evidence BCG vaccine might protect against Covid-19.

And this:
Quote from: Marta Rodriguez Martinez  & Euronews with AP, AFP  •  last updated: 07/04/2020 - 10:02
Has the key to a coronavirus vaccine been staring us in the face for a century?
Why has Spain had almost 11,000 deaths from the coronavirus pandemic while Portugal’s death toll barely exceeds 200?

Such a disparity in numbers within the Iberian peninsula is mysterious, but it could in part be explained by the two countries’ different use of a vaccine. Not a vaccine against COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus – no such vaccine exists yet, rather it is the decades-old tuberculosis vaccine that seems to offer an explanation.

A new scientific study has discovered a possible correlation between countries where it is mandatory to be vaccinated against tuberculosis, also called “Bacillus Calmette-Guerin” (BCG), and the impact of the new coronavirus.

"We found that countries without universal policies of BCG vaccination (Italy, Netherlands, USA) have been more severely affected compared to countries with universal and long-standing BCG policies", the study's authors wrote.
And read the rest comparing Italy (no BCG vaccination) with Japan (universal BCG vaccination).

It's early days yet but BCG might at least reduce the severity of COVID-19 - we'll just have to wait and see.

But don't take any notice of my opinion I'm no medical expert ;D.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #998 on: April 07, 2020, 07:12:21 AM »
America is finding tens of thousands of new cases every day. The real figure obviously higher. We know this disease can put a lot of people in hospital. 80% are fine. 5% may demand hospital treatment. That's far more than regular flu

So every week you have several hundred thousand cases occur. 5% may want to go to hospital a few weeks later

Even if that figure were 1% t's only a matter of time before your hospitals are overrun due to the length of hospital stay. Maybe do the math and don't write this off so soon. Trump tried earlier this year, relaxed and now look where you're at.

So much needless sick and dead.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #999 on: April 07, 2020, 08:42:24 AM »

600k dead in the US?

LOL!
With a novel virus for which there is no vaccine or proven cure and an optimistic death rate of .2%, 600k sounds about right for a country of over 300 million people who don't want to keep their distance.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #1000 on: April 07, 2020, 09:21:36 AM »

600k dead in the US?

LOL!
With a novel virus for which there is no vaccine or proven cure and an optimistic death rate of .2%, 600k sounds about right for a country of over 300 million people who don't want to keep their distance.

? Ιt's not optimistic, idk where you people are getting that from but if anything remotely close to that happens anywhere, it would be insane. Spain is the worst hit country (I don't count San Marino because it's not a real country, sorry San Marino) in that regard and they are at about 0.03% (and it seems like they might be past the peak). Imagine going up to 0.2%. 60k is likely, it could definitely go more than that pretty easily. But I doubt it's gonna get to 600k, it would be a first, not "optimistic".
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 09:26:20 AM by Pezevenk »
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #1001 on: April 07, 2020, 09:27:45 AM »
It could go to 600k or more if the government decides to listen to Dan Patrick though.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #1002 on: April 07, 2020, 09:31:11 AM »
Active Cases
1,010,162  Currently Infected Patients
962,469 (95%)  in Mild Condition
47,693 (5%)  Serious or Critical

Closed Cases
376,645  Cases which had an outcome:
297,580 (79%)  Recovered / Discharged
79,065 (21%) Deaths

Pezevenk

« Reply #1003 on: April 07, 2020, 09:33:56 AM »
Active Cases

Closed Cases
79,065 (21%) Deaths
Yes? What?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #1004 on: April 07, 2020, 09:39:50 AM »
Active Cases

Closed Cases
79,065 (21%) Deaths
Yes? What?
Those numbers suggest that .2% death rate is very optimistic.

Definitely Not Swedish

• rutabaga
  • Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crime
« Reply #1005 on: April 07, 2020, 10:17:33 AM »
Active Cases

Closed Cases
79,065 (21%) Deaths
Yes? What?
I think its fair to assume that there are about 5-10 times as many people infected as there are diagnosed cases.
Quote from: croutons, the s.o.w.
You have received a warning for breaking the laws of mathematics.

Member of the BOTD

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #1006 on: April 07, 2020, 10:25:04 AM »
Active Cases

Closed Cases
79,065 (21%) Deaths
Yes? What?
I think its fair to assume that there are about 5-10 times as many people infected as there are diagnosed cases.
It's probably also safe to assume that a fair number of covid related deaths are not properly diagnosed or reported.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #1007 on: April 07, 2020, 12:26:42 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/07/coronavirus-relief-trump-removes-inspector-general-overseeing-2-trillion-package.html

WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump has removed the lead watchdog overseeing the $2 trillion coronavirus package, just days after the official, Glenn Fine, was appointed to the role.

The move came as Trump pursued similar action in recent weeks against independent inspectors general across the federal government.

HIDE THE SWAMP.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #1008 on: April 07, 2020, 01:26:17 PM »
He is desperately looking for anyway he can to get some of that stimulus money for his hotel chain.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #1009 on: April 07, 2020, 01:34:30 PM »
They've added the number of tests a country does.

So take the confirmed cases and divide it by the number of tests.

Italy is .18

US is .19

Germany is .12

South Korea is .02

This tells me that South Korea is extremely aggressive with their testing and the US is about on par with Italy at the moment.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #1010 on: April 07, 2020, 02:39:46 PM »
I don't understand why Trump isn't sharing his miracle cure with Boris Johnson.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #1011 on: April 07, 2020, 03:24:50 PM »
It could be related to the fact that an anti-parasitic coupled with an antibiotic may not be the most effective way to take down a virus. But, that's just conjecture.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #1012 on: April 07, 2020, 07:50:47 PM »
The lock downs are getting beyond a joke

So they tell you, you are allowed to go out for excerise like a jog. People do and now they say you're not allowed because too many people went out and did it

Seems like a text book 'how to become a police state'

Over here someone was fined over $1600 (later taken back after public outrage) because a daughter was learning how to drive with her mum.

Not 'essential' enough. How the F do you catch the corona virus learning to drive.

Peoples human rights and freedoms are being slowly eroded. I understand the social distancing and policies that actually help slow/prevent transmission of viruses (eg congregations like church, parties and mass gatherings etc) but jogging on a beach? $1000 fine. Sitting on a bench eating a kebab? $1000 fine. It's out of hand

And like influenza the corona virus is likely to stay. Mutate like the flu into something slightly different. All the while the set up for controlling the population has been done. Governments no longer have to reliquinish the power they have. And we applaud it (public calls for the harshest kind of lock down over Easter break)

We are truly mad

Governments won't let go of this for a long long time. What was considered a police state and human rights abuses is now mainstream.

Again, I don't mind sensible social distancing measures but we are going too far. It's all baby steps until you look back and can't even see the shore line

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:00:24 PM by Shifter »

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Rayzor

• Looking for Occam
« Reply #1013 on: April 07, 2020, 07:51:36 PM »
It could be related to the fact that an anti-parasitic coupled with an antibiotic may not be the most effective way to take down a virus. But, that's just conjecture.

Trump and Co have a stake in the company that makes it.   So when you take it, you still die, but he makes a profit and feels better. 
Stop gilding the pickle, you demisexual aromantic homoflexible snowflake.

Lorddave

« Reply #1014 on: April 07, 2020, 08:17:04 PM »

So they tell you, you are allowed to go out for excerise like a jog. People do and now they say you're not allowed because too many people went out and did it

Over here someone was fined over $1600 (later taken back after public outrage) because a daughter was learning how to drive with her mum.

Not 'essential' enough. How the F do you catch the corona virus learning to drive.

Peoples human rights and freedoms are being slowly eroded. I understand the social distancing and policies that actually help slow/prevent transmission of viruses (eg congregations like church, parties and mass gatherings etc) but jogging on a beach? $1000 fine. Sitting on a bench eating a kebab? $1000 fine. It's out of hand

And like influenza the corona virus is likely to stay. Mutate like the flu into something slightly different. All the while the set up for controlling the population has been done. Governments no longer have to reliquinish the power they have. And we applaud it (public calls for the harshest kind of lock down over Easter break)

We are truly mad

Governments won't let go of this for a long long time. What was considered a police state and human rights abuses is now mainstream.

Again, I don't mind sensible social distancing measures but we are going too far. It's all baby steps until you look back and can't even see the shore line

Its because people are morons and governments are scared.

See, if 100 people all walk along the beach at the same time, social distancing is pointless.  You're still gathering, just at a moving spot.

Driving is a bit weird, unless you assume they're lying and are going somewhere they shouldn't.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #1015 on: April 07, 2020, 08:31:14 PM »

We are truly mad

See, if 100 people all walk along the beach at the same time, social distancing is pointless.  You're still gathering, just at a moving spot.

Driving is a bit weird, unless you assume they're lying and are going somewhere they shouldn't.

But shopping malls are still open. Public transport is still in operation. They still demanded recently people go to the polls in a government election or get fined

The messages are hypocritical.

If your minding your own business going for a jog the police will crack down on you and fine you big dollars. But if you want to cram like sardines to go to a mall and get a haircut, that's ok apparantly.

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #1016 on: April 07, 2020, 09:08:14 PM »

Try that here and you're moved on or even fined.  Then the beach carparks were closed so that the locals had some space to walk.

Quote from: Lorddave
There's a lot less traffic but still people going somewhere possibly where.
We were heading for 'flu shots so we had an excuse.
There was far less exposure at our GP, 30 km away, than at a local pharmacy who could have done them.

Lorddave

« Reply #1017 on: April 07, 2020, 11:09:02 PM »

We are truly mad

But shopping malls are still open. Public transport is still in operation. They still demanded recently people go to the polls in a government election or get fined.
Depends on the state and since when does anyone in America get fined for not voting?  Citation please.
Also, public transportation for essential people seems like a good thing, no?

If your minding your own business going for a jog the police will crack down on you and fine you big dollars. But if you want to cram like sardines to go to a mall and get a haircut, that's ok apparantly.
Here, malls and basically all shops are closed.  Except food and pharmacy. 

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #1018 on: April 07, 2020, 11:30:28 PM »

We are truly mad

But shopping malls are still open. Public transport is still in operation. They still demanded recently people go to the polls in a government election or get fined.
Depends on the state and since when does anyone in America get fined for not voting?  Citation please.
Also, public transportation for essential people seems like a good thing, no?

Here, malls and basically all shops are closed.  Except food and pharmacy.

I'm talking about here in oz

Demanding we go out to vote. Saying going on public transport for a haircut is ok but going out for a jog? Sitting on a bench to eat when you're tired from the exercise you were supposedly allowed to do? $1000 please

Know your place

Lorddave

« Reply #1019 on: April 07, 2020, 11:45:42 PM »
Ah.  Yes, that makes less sense then.