Maybe it's time to give Trump and his admin credit?

• 81 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Maybe it's time to give Trump and his admin credit?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2020, 09:18:19 AM »
So I'm just supposed to take your posts at face value? I think not. Unless you seriously think that:

Regulations are bad, who cares if the rivers burn?
No, you're supposed to recognize obvious sarcasm.
Which is what I did originally. I can only assume you haven't followed the conversation.

No you didn't! You assumed that I think all regulations are good, then suggested we should have a gazillion billion of them, and then I played along and said definitely... then you answered that one as if I meant it. I don't think you followed the obvious sarcasm at all.

Of course, BHS feels hurt by all this. For some reason. As if he's got a company dumping shit into the environment. I think he identifies as a multi billion dollar corporation. Your identity is valid!

Anyway, the problem is not that the democrats "punish success" it's that they're all (democrats and republicans) allowing industry to write their own regulations. The republicans have their pet industries, and the democrats have theirs too. They're all in bed with the pharmaceutical industry, and the oil & gas industry, banking, etc... They get to write their own rules, and we only notice once the metaphorical (and sometimes literal) rivers are burning. 

Now, all this frustrates me because I realize we are powerless to do anything about it. There is no democrat or republican who will change any of this because they're making money off the status quo.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2020, 09:45:22 AM »
So I'm just supposed to take your posts at face value? I think not. Unless you seriously think that:

Which is what I did originally. I can only assume you haven't followed the conversation.

No you didn't! You assumed that I think all regulations are good, then suggested we should have a gazillion billion of them, and then I played along and said definitely... then you answered that one as if I meant it. I don't think you followed the obvious sarcasm at all.

Of course, BHS feels hurt by all this. For some reason. As if he's got a company dumping shit into the environment. I think he identifies as a multi billion dollar corporation. Your identity is valid!

Anyway, the problem is not that the democrats "punish success" it's that they're all (democrats and republicans) allowing industry to write their own regulations. The republicans have their pet industries, and the democrats have theirs too. They're all in bed with the pharmaceutical industry, and the oil & gas industry, banking, etc... They get to write their own rules, and we only notice once the metaphorical (and sometimes literal) rivers are burning. 

Now, all this frustrates me because I realize we are powerless to do anything about it. There is no democrat or republican who will change any of this because they're making money off the status quo.
I absolutely recognized that you were being sarcastic which is why I assumed what you really meant were that regulations were good. Maybe you're the one who missed the point I was making, that there is such a thing as too much regulation. So cutting regulation could potentially be a good thing, regardless of how much we dislike the person doing it.
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2020, 10:15:11 AM »
I absolutely recognized that you were being sarcastic which is why I assumed what you really meant were that regulations were good.
I would contend that regulations that prohibit dumping nasty stuff into the environment are good. 
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2020, 10:21:31 AM »
I absolutely recognized that you were being sarcastic which is why I assumed what you really meant were that regulations were good.
I would contend that regulations that prohibit dumping nasty stuff into the environment are good.
I would contend that regulations prohibiting dumping nasty stuff into the environment can be overdone like any other regulations.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2020, 10:22:50 AM »
Obviously we must get rid of regulations and let the invisible hand of the free market handle it.

Okay I know sarcasm doesn't translate well into text but that statement was sarcastic.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2020, 10:26:58 AM »
Obviously we must have near infinite regulation to the point where it becomes almost impossible to live and even then, we should add some more yet.

Okay I know sarcasm doesn't translate well into text but that statement was sarcastic.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »
I would contend that regulations prohibiting dumping nasty stuff into the environment can be overdone like any other regulations.
Why do you hate the environment so much?

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2020, 10:29:58 AM »
Why do you choose to abandon obvious logic in favor of a feeling of moral superiority?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2020, 10:40:46 AM »
Why do you choose to abandon obvious logic in favor of a feeling of moral superiority?
Why do you choose to abandon the obvious wisdom of an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure?

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2020, 12:30:07 PM »
Obviously we must have near infinite regulation to the point where it becomes almost impossible to live and even then, we should add some more yet.

I'm glad you've found your voice but you don't need to take every disagreement so personally.

It's okay to disagree with me.  There's no need to turn every disagreement into a flame war.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2020, 12:53:46 PM »
Thinking regulations are good does not mean that I want a bazillion regulations. I also do not care that it's the orange man getting rid of regulations willy nilly. I would be just as opposed to it if it was someone else. Bad regulations are bad, fix them or get rid of them, obviously.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Lorddave

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2020, 01:38:44 PM »
The thing is, their was already a department whose job it was to cut outdated regulations.  Trump just... took credit for something that was already in process.  Or maybe ordered them to be less picky about it, I dunno.  I mean, his "Kill two to add one" idea was kinda stupid.  Like if you need to choose between which regulations are more socially beneficial so you can either cut two or not implement one, you've lost sight on what the point of a regulation was.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Bom Tishop

• Official friend boy of the FES!!
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2020, 01:50:56 PM »

Hurt by what? Please don't turn into a dishonest douchebag again SCG, the break has been quite nice from that.

I said I don't mind some regulations and I take pride in trying to be environmentally conscientious, and I don't want to make a buck while trashing the environment. Where is the hurt here?

Where did I identity as a multi billion dollar Corp? You do know unfair/stupid/useles regulations hurt the smaller corps way more than the huge ones right?

As for punishing success and rewarding failure..... That is the whole modern liberal shtick they push. The successful people are terrible and destroying the people who are not. They got it unfair and the unsuccessful people deserve to take what the successful people have. The lazy gets the fruit of those that bust ass, and you are evil if you don't agree with that.

Then a healthy does of racism towards white people (unless you are gay or identity as something odd) saying they are screwing over the rest of the US, and you have 90 percent of the running platform for the modern libtard. I know there are intelligent liberals out there, they just have no power currently.

Oh, as for both parties are screwing us over, I say that all the time...that we all need to work together to flush 95 percent of the fuck out on both sides.

So again, where is the hurt?
Quote from: Bom Tishop
LordDave is quite alright even for a bleeding heart liberal. Godspeed good sir

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »
The thing is, their was already a department whose job it was to cut outdated regulations.  Trump just... took credit for something that was already in process.  Or maybe ordered them to be less picky about it, I dunno.  I mean, his "Kill two to add one" idea was kinda stupid.  Like if you need to choose between which regulations are more socially beneficial so you can either cut two or not implement one, you've lost sight on what the point of a regulation was.

The way he worded it has always bothered me. It's like he thinks regulations are only there to impede one's greatness.

I have to say I really don't know how this crusade against regulations is progressing. I've never seen an accurate assessment of what regulations he's cut exactly, their impact, or if they were useful regulations in the first place.  For all I know the situation hasn't changed significantly under his watch.

Bom Tishop

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2020, 02:05:50 PM »

I have to say I really don't know how this crusade against regulations is progressing. I've never seen an accurate assessment of what regulations he's cut exactly, their impact, or if they were useful regulations in the first place.  For all I know the situation hasn't changed significantly under his watch.

I have tried to find that as well since all the libtards are excusing him of destroying the planet. Seems mostly hot air per the norm.

I can only speak from a personal level, I have seen no difference in regulations excluding one. However, that was a class action lawsuit myself and others put together, and it was state level, not federal.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2020, 02:50:01 PM »
Shit, BHS. You are so defensive about all this it's difficult to have a conversation. You are not the only business owner, just because you don't dump toxic waste into the environment doesn't mean others are as conscientious. Believe it or not, there are other people in the world.

Okay, back to regulations.

Just last September Trump deregulated the pork industry. Now the slaughterhouse lines move more quickly, and there are fewer govt inspectors.  It is too soon to tell if this will turn out badly, but is this a risk you want to take? They now allow the industry to grade themselves on microbiological contamination. Get ready for more salmonella outbreaks. (secret fact: Obama deregulated and privatized poultry inspections to some extent and I don't like it)

You can expand each one of these and read them. I don't know how good or bad some of these things are. I noticed that some of this stuff has been debated for years, long before Trump was in office. For instance railroad safety training regulations have been delayed since 2014, so you can't blame Trump for it. https://www.brookings.edu/interactives/tracking-deregulation-in-the-trump-era/

Bom Tishop

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2020, 03:14:52 PM »
Shit, BHS. You are so defensive about all this it's difficult to have a conversation. You are not the only business owner, just because you don't dump toxic waste into the environment doesn't mean others are as conscientious. Believe it or not, there are other people in the world.

Okay, back to regulations.

Just last September Trump deregulated the pork industry. Now the slaughterhouse lines move more quickly, and there are fewer govt inspectors.  It is too soon to tell if this will turn out badly, but is this a risk you want to take? They now allow the industry to grade themselves on microbiological contamination. Get ready for more salmonella outbreaks. (secret fact: Obama deregulated and privatized poultry inspections to some extent and I don't like it)

You can expand each one of these and read them. I don't know how good or bad some of these things are. I noticed that some of this stuff has been debated for years, long before Trump was in office. For instance railroad safety training regulations have been delayed since 2014, so you can't blame Trump for it. https://www.brookings.edu/interactives/tracking-deregulation-in-the-trump-era/

I get defensive when people put words in my mouth or try to say I feel a certain way.. Even just now your smart ass comment saying believe it or not there are other people in the world, and all you imply with that shit towards me etc.

As I said, I agree with some regulations....I can capitalize that in bold if you like. They aren't for me either, the shit I do is stuff I would do to protect the environment, my employees and myself with or without regulations. I 100 percent realize there are people out there that will let the world burn and anyone around them for a buck...not to mention pay them pennies. These are the people regulations are for, not those that have a heart.

That doesn't take away the fact there are many regulations and laws that need to be removed. Most are enacted by dip shit bureaucrats who have no idea or care of what is actually going on, or passes laws just to try and get re elected. These will slow business or even close them/prevent from opening.

Example...the regulation I was talking about we got repealed with the class action lawsuit...it would have cost between 250k-750k depending on the structure, involved destroying parts of the foundation etc etc....all for something that would have ZERO use and ZERO effect. That would have hurt people like myself and forced that money to be used for stupidity over growth, other people they would have had to close their business.

I am in Texas and they are very business friendly, one reason our economy is so strong and cost of living reasonable. I have heard horror stories from people I do business with in places not business friendly like California of the stupid shit they deal with. That doesn't even include the insane taxation.

I will look through that list, it's long though and would require to know what each law entails, so it isn't a quick read. Just from my experience though, most regulations are state level.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2020, 05:10:30 PM »
Why do you choose to abandon the obvious wisdom of an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure?
I don't.

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2020, 05:13:07 PM »

I'm glad you've found your voice but you don't need to take every disagreement so personally.

It's okay to disagree with me.  There's no need to turn every disagreement into a flame war.
As long as we're in agreement that regulations aren't inherently good and there is such a thing as bad regulations or too much regulation I'm happy. That was my point all along.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2020, 09:38:17 PM »
Trump relaxing the tariffs on China during an election year was designed to boost the stock market and restore confidence. And the tariffs are still there just not as much.

And who pays for the tarrifs? Ultimately the end user of the products ie you and me

The economy was always going to expand. It's not like if Obama or Clinton were President the DOW wouldn't be lagging under 20,000 points.

Even the Aussie stock market continues to rise despite the fact our economy has been in perpetual stagnation for at least a decade and a government who really are shit with economic management.

The tarrifs Trump imposed and this trade war has only made cost of living more expensive. I get that China should be taken to task for IP theft though. But given he also slagged his allies with a raft of tarrifs his tough talk on China seems disingenuous.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Bom Tishop

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2020, 10:20:42 PM »
Trump relaxing the tariffs on China during an election year was designed to boost the stock market and restore confidence. And the tariffs are still there just not as much.

And who pays for the tarrifs? Ultimately the end user of the products ie you and me

The economy was always going to expand. It's not like if Obama or Clinton were President the DOW wouldn't be lagging under 20,000 points.

Even the Aussie stock market continues to rise despite the fact our economy has been in perpetual stagnation for at least a decade and a government who really are shit with economic management.

The tarrifs Trump imposed and this trade war has only made cost of living more expensive. I get that China should be taken to task for IP theft though. But given he also slagged his allies with a raft of tarrifs his tough talk on China seems disingenuous.

I was more talking about the real economy, not the stock market. The stock market is and has always been a made up house of cards in my opinion. Nor does it affect the average Joe

Lorddave

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2020, 02:32:34 AM »

I was more talking about the real economy, not the stock market. The stock market is and has always been a made up house of cards in my opinion. Nor does it affect the average Joe
It does.
Many 401Ks are put into stocks.  People lost alot of money in their retirement funds when the stocks dropped due to the recession.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2020, 07:06:52 AM »
I don't.
Then why do you support repealing regulations that help protect the environment?

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2020, 06:05:52 PM »
I don't.
Then why do you support repealing regulations that help protect the environment?
Have you hired a private security detail including an on call helicopter with a fully armed swat team to keep your family safe? No? Why don't you love your family?

Oh. I get it. You considered the risk, cost, effectiveness and the available income you had to work with. Then you made a policy decision regarding an appropriate level of security for your family.  This probably involved an alarm system, some taxes to cover local policing, and possibly a gun or two if you're the 2nd amendment supporting type of fellow. That seems sensible, apologies for implying that you didn't  love your family, I now see that was inaccurate.

Also, I didn't support repealing any regulations. I merely argued that getting rid of some regulations isn't necessarily a bad thing. It isn't necessarily a good thing either. It depends on the risk, cost, effectiveness, available funds and possibly some other factors I'm not thinking of.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:15:50 PM by Twerp »

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2020, 11:13:12 PM »
Short term we can save money, keep existing jobs, hell even make easy money by not considering the environment.

It's the long term impact which will cost far greater

The fires in Australia for example. Unprecedented and scientists the world over have linked it to a hotter and drier climate. The cost is enormous not to mention over a billion animals lost and the eco system collapse. People won't link it to a changing climate and consider the cost as normal part of life.

Sea level rise - expect millions of displaced people and the cost of thst

Hurricanes that used to be once in a generation becoming near annual events thanks to a warming ocean

As a species we need to evolve or die. So we need to innovate - and that will lead to long term savings and maybe the security and survival of the human race.

Most pollies don't see past their election term though

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2020, 10:00:03 AM »
On the topic of the OP, Trump should absolutely be given credit for the sugar high the economy is currently on. It's as if people are shocked that cutting taxes and increasing government spending is a boon to the economy. Of course it's going to greatly boost it.

The problem comes when there is a downturn in the economy. The historical remedy for a recession is some combination of cut taxes, provide taxpayer rebates, or increase government spending. Now that recession remedies have been employed in an otherwise thriving economy, there is much less room to work with the inevitable downturn to come. This could cause the next recession to be much deeper and much longer than previous recessions.

There is also the fun bit a out corporations taking in record breaking profits, while wages have only just started to increase modestly, I believe somewhere in the 2 to 5% ballpark is what I've seen for the most recent year-to-year comparison.  So the economy is working at unprecedented levels for a small few, but only now increasing in any measurable way for the vast majority.

To summarize, Trump is responsible for this economy, but whether the economy as it stands now is a measurable increase for the majority is questionable. Trump is also responsible for the governments inability to address future economic downturns.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Bom Tishop

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2020, 11:24:37 PM »
To summarize, Trump is responsible for this economy, but whether the economy as it stands now is a measurable increase for the majority is questionable. Trump is also responsible for the governments inability to address future economic downturns.

This is a great paragraph here, fantastic summary.

I definitely see your point on possible downturns and minimizing the options available to fight, ease or shorten these. It reminds me of a company doing monster revenue on very tight margins. Everything is great until you hit a snag, the whole house can come down with little options available to fight it.

As for the part about the booming economy effecting the average person...I think it has. It certainly has effected unemployment and underemployment according to the numbers.

I think in certain businesses it has had an effect as well. I have hired more staff, given raises to key people that have over performed and have critical value to me as well as just purchased another building for another location. Many other people in my circle has expanded in various ways as well, which equalled more jobs, more pay or both.

Perhaps the solid economy is not trickling down in the big corporate world because there are countless bean counters who's only job is to make margins bigger and over head as small as possible. Then you have all the people up top that only focus on profit and nothing else...that is actually their legal responsibility to the share holders (as most large corps are publicly traded)... Maybe that entire system is flawed for that reason. This is also why I support (some) regulations going against what scg said.

So I think in many businesses the average worker is seeing a difference, just maybe not in large publicly traded corps.

Also, one thing not to forget...more jobs, even if they aren't of higher wages at first, could be down the line. The best position for a worker is to have more jobs openings than workers...that's makes them more valuable, therefore worth more per hour, even on low wage positions.

Lorddave

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2020, 12:13:11 AM »
I remember when Obama touted more jobs after the recession.  But it was mostly part time jobs.

Bom Tishop

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2020, 12:30:17 AM »
I remember when Obama touted more jobs after the recession.  But it was mostly part time jobs.

Yeah, that is why I said underemployment is down as well.

Lorddave

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2020, 01:30:56 AM »

Yeah, that is why I said underemployment is down as well.

I mean, its good for jobs but is that from the tax break you got from Trump or because his trade war is forcing people to buy American?