I Really Like House Plants

• 17 Replies

faded mike

• new world
I Really Like House Plants
« on: January 09, 2020, 02:52:25 PM »
I've been growing houseplants when i got a pet Chameleon about twenty years ago. Some of them remained through out the years, like my fig tree and pothos(good and non poisonous for reptiles), umbrella tree, philodendrons, monstera deliciosa. I've went throught stages of fanaticism, with more than a hundred, mostly small plants.

This followed a business i had selling plants potted in organic dirt with rock dust in little arrangements. there was some businesses going out of business: a green house/ tropical plant decor shop, so me and my friend put it all together and got a spot at the market.

I recently took up the hobby again, Bying some beautiful mini 2 inch tropicals in the spring. I have been using my goldfish water as fertilizer, I am trying to figure out a good organic diy houseplant ferilizer. The problem is that you have a small bunch of dirt to do the composting in/ break down of organic substances which are not already in useable form in some organic fertilizers. The way i understand it, if you use chemical frertilizer, you lose your microorganism population that would sustain a healthy organic "biome"(?)

I really like peperomias

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/Peperomia_caperata_1-OB9.jpg/1200px-Peperomia_caperata_1-OB9.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Peperomia_Argyreia_%28P%C3%A9p%C3%A9romia_d%27argent%29_-_71.jpg/1200px-Peperomia_Argy

Anyone else prize their houseplants?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:14:08 PM by faded mike »
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

I am not a druggy

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • V is for Viceroy
Re: I Really Like House Plants
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 02:59:01 PM »
At first glance I read this title as "I Really like House of Pain".

I've got to say I feel a pang of disappointment.  But I do also like houseplants though.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 03:07:58 PM »
Jump around yo
" Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

I am not a druggy

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 03:18:12 PM »
I like house plants too. We don't have many, but among my favorites that we do have is the venus fly trap. It'll probably not last long, because keeping house plants alive is not among the things I would consider to be my top talents, but I do like it.

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 03:26:08 PM »
something to remeber is the stored energy of the plant. Which i guess could be relected in its size, but  not always because if you juice em up with high npk fertilizer it can be like steroids where its all water mass, but the more stored energy, the longer the plant can withstand adverse conditions. I love crazy plants like venus fly trap, totally alien looking tropicals, a lot of common tropicals are hybridized with completely different species from what i understand to make them easier to take care of, or maybe more adapted to average house conditions.

I think massive chemical variety available to plants throught rockdust and seaweed makes them able to survive a lot longer, although not necessarily reflected in abundant growth which is the most exciting part generally.
           -them

I am not a druggy

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 03:38:55 PM »
I don't have any plants in the house, but I have several Christmas cacti on the porch.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Shifter

• ASI
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 03:43:42 PM »
I like house plants. They clean the air, add class and a nice homely vibe

I don't however like all the bugs they attract. Screw those guys!

Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 03:51:31 PM »
I don't have any plants in the house, but I have several Christmas cacti on the porch.
i propagated a bunch of both christmas and easter cactus to try to sell, i only sold one or two leaving about 6 little ones, but that's alright cause they'r such a cool plant, i could probably find em a home. i'm gonna put up another add on kijiji(african word for market, is our local craigs list, canadian?). i really would like to lighten the houseplant load, but think they're worth money, so...not sure what i'll do.

Do you think it's bad to keep them in the house, i understand theat some people are actually against them.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:56:46 PM by faded mike »
           -them

I am not a druggy

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 03:54:33 PM »
I like house plants. They clean the air, add class and a nice homely vibe

I don't however like all the bugs they attract. Screw those guys!
Yeah clean the air! i also heard they put in some kind of like flower pheromones or something. Tropical stimulant chemicals maybe. Not to mention the chi...orgone?, or as you say just a nice vibe. But the bugs i think just say in the pot or turn into dust.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:59:24 PM by faded mike »
           -them

I am not a druggy

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 05:57:52 PM »
Oh, I think it's great to have them in the house, but I don't have any room for them and also I have a problem with sunlight. I put awnings over the windows to help keep it cooler in the house.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 04:55:27 AM »
I like house plants too. We don't have many, but among my favorites that we do have is the venus fly trap. It'll probably not last long, because keeping house plants alive is not among the things I would consider to be my top talents, but I do like it.

Shit Boyd, we the same people man, left handed owners of Venus fly-traps, uncanny.

I also had a huge  pitcher plant until the dog knocked it off the coal bunker when I put it out last summer.
If the plants seem to be attracting bugs (more likely food or your feet), get a Venus, only water it with rainwater (that probably rules you Aussies out actually) , mine has grown for 3 years in a north facing conservatory in England so it can't be that hard to grow, and it snaffles flies.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

High Priestess of the “Society for the Promotion of Arbitrary Moderation” (SPAM)

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 07:09:40 AM »
Shit Boyd, we the same people man, left handed owners of Venus fly-traps, uncanny.
We are alts! Separated by an ocean, sure, but alts nonetheless!

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 09:28:01 PM »
I recently came to the understanding that proteins are high in nitrates...like the old throw a fish in with your corn seed, or rather swish out your scrambled egg bowl. But i'm more interested in particular ammendments for particular plants, sweet spot stuff.

Imagine a big venus fly trap...i've seen a pretty big pitcher plant.

Anyone KNOW the benefit of misting your plants? I think it might be big!

Do your guys carniverous plants, do you know if they have roots?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:35:03 PM by faded mike »
           -them

I am not a druggy

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 12:22:17 AM »

Yeah they have roots, the soils they live in are low nutrient peat bogs, tree bolls and the like, the eating of insects is an adaptation to offset that.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

High Priestess of the “Society for the Promotion of Arbitrary Moderation” (SPAM)

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 12:20:04 AM »
I bought an orchid for myself for christmas, like the 22 of december. This thing hasn't chenged abit in 2.5 months. This thing is full of flowers that haven't even faded i think. I'm starting to think this must be a really good fake. Any body ever had this problem?
           -them

I am not a druggy

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 03:45:42 PM »
House plants are alright. I avoid having things I'd have to take care of.
"Deep Throat: Mister Mulder, why are those like yourself, who believe in the existence of extraterrestrial life on this Earth, not dissuaded by all the evidence to the contrary?
Mulder: Because, all the evidence to the contrary is not entirely dissuasive."

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 11:45:36 PM »
Yeah, i feel that. the orchid lost a few flowrers now :(
           -them

I am not a druggy

faded mike

• new world
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 06:16:57 PM »
Last post for now probably, cause noone else i think is too interested, but i'd just like to lay out my ogranic houseplant theory, if anyone can add any useful info to this i would appreciate it.

To begin with, i use rock dust which opens the door for a more diverse microbes in the pot, which can more healthily break down the soil humus with out the threat of death from above shower of heavy ferilizer salts. Even this I'm not certain about, i think life is so abundant that the pot microbes population would adapt to reasonable chemical fertilization, though further removed perhaps from the regular functioning soil situation.

But anyway, "soiless" mix is the most popular option for house plants.

House plant soil recipe from the 70's: heard 1/3 loam, 1/3 coarse buildwers sand, 1/3 peatmoss, w/ fertilizer added.

My thoughts, are an airy soil mix (fast draining) involving clay or loam to capture nutrients(~10-20%)
rock dust(~1%)
sand
peat moss(20-40%) which is slow release nitrogen
and compost(~30%)

Added  as fertilizer i wil add blended vegetable scraps diluted a lot with water, but being instide the house, the scarp may pose siome p[rob inwhich case and additionally if not, coffee and rehydrated seeaweed puree.

But the kicker is starch as in flour, and sugar and sea salt mixed at tbs flour, tsp salt, tsp sugar pre liter used every once and a while. I know the rock dust with normal potting soil creates a healthy organic break down and nutrient release in th pots(larger would probably be better) and i think the addition of these vegetable bits would creat a good potting soil if not too messy.
           -them

I am not a druggy