psychology and sociology of major belief groups

• 2 Replies
psychology and sociology of major belief groups
« on: June 24, 2021, 04:16:43 PM »
There is a concept called the 3 "C"s - conviction, conspiracy, community. There are groups of people who think that experts, officials, institutions are liars/stupid. You start with an idea that is false according to conventional experts and authorities, but you don't just think it is true, you are utterly convinced and unwilling to even consider the possibility that experts are right. You need community, because if it was just one person, everyone would think you were crazy. With a community of believers, you can assure each other that you are right. They usually exaggerate the size of their community.

For example, #stopthesteal. They think they are the majority, deep state, they are a community, and they will not even consider the possibility that Republican election officials in GA and AZ are just telling the truth. QANON is another example.

Conviction - Trump won, they knew he would even before the election and will not consider the possibility he lost. Because they are so certain, it becomes a fact you can use in your argument (assuming the conclusion). As in "Trump won, so we know there were shenanigans, even if we haven't found them yet.

Conspiracy - Deep state, necessary to explain why republican election officials would insist Biden won and why we can't find evidence Cnspiracies are secret, duh, you know them because they got the wrong result. how and why are guesses)

Community - If it was one person, just some kook. But with millions, that alone means there's something there. How could millions be upset if no problem?

Can anyone think of another 3C group? People who believe experts and conventional knowledge is wrong, are utterly convinced and will not consider the possibility they are wrong, explaining the discrepancy with reality by conspiracy?

Homework:

Identify a group of people who dismiss experts and conventional knowledge, refuse to accept the possibility that their idea is wrong and explain the discrepancy with generally accepted reality by conspiracy?

Hmmm, let me think ... Where would I find such a group?

Is it possible for something to be both true and unproven?

Are things that are true and proven any different from things that are true but not proven?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
Re: psychology and sociology of major belief groups
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 04:28:01 PM »

Identify a group of people who dismiss experts and conventional knowledge, refuse to accept the possibility that their idea is wrong and explain the discrepancy with generally accepted reality by conspiracy?
Teenagers

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: psychology and sociology of major belief groups
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 04:34:07 PM »
Timmy, your alts are so boring.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.