Pop quiz

• 49 Replies

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Re: Pop quiz
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2019, 06:12:22 AM »
So, in Mormon land, people carry rifles to go to the co-op? Have you been back since to enquire if there was an incident or if it was just a show and tell, or they were buying a lot of something that other Mormons might want to take away from them (young wives?), I think I need to know at least a bit more before I decide it’s a place I won’t be visiting.
He misspoke. A 7/11 is a convenience store, not a co op.

Utah is quite a target shooting scene as there is lots of land to shoot. I’m not sure if that played a part in the incident though. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2019, 08:39:43 AM »
So, in Mormon land, people carry rifles to go to the co-op? Have you been back since to enquire if there was an incident or if it was just a show and tell, or they were buying a lot of something that other Mormons might want to take away from them (young wives?), I think I need to know at least a bit more before I decide it’s a place I won’t be visiting.

A convenience store, yes.  I kind of thought "7-11" was a ubiquitous term like xerox.  I guess that's not the case.

Anyways, I didn't ask about it but since I didn't see a bunch of cop cars around and didn't hear about it on the news then I'm assuming it was just some gun enthusiasts who have no sense of decorum. 

Not the first time I've seen someone showing off a gun at a convenience store here.  The last time I was in the store and the gun was a Desert Eagle.  I'm sort of gawking at it and the guy suddenly looks self conscious about it and apologizes.  I ask to hold the gun.  Desert Eagles are pretty cool guns.

Mormons don't use guns to coerce young women into servitude.  They threaten damnation and excommunication.  The FLDS anyways, not so much main stream Mormons.

I'd recommend a lot of other places in the US to visit before Utah but we do have some interesting things.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2019, 08:45:57 AM »

Utah is quite a target shooting scene as there is lots of land to shoot. I’m not sure if that played a part in the incident though.

You have ruined all the magic!  >:(
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2019, 08:54:43 AM »
Utah and a lot of the western states have magnificent and weird scenery.

The only time I worry when I see people (who are not cops) carrying guns is when I'm in a city. I know that most people around where I live have guns. They grew up with them, they learned gun safety before they learned how to drive. I do not trust these new gun owners. It's a status thing for them. They like to show them off.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2019, 09:10:45 AM »
You pull into a 7-11 to get a big gulp.  Before you get out of the car you notice a van pull up and four people get out and grab rifles from out of the back and are heading towards the entrance.

What do you do?
Give them a few dollars and ask them to get you a Big Gulp and a bag of chips.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
  • Will I still be perfect tomorrow?
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2019, 09:12:43 AM »

The last time I was in the store and the gun was a Desert Eagle.  I'm sort of gawking at it and the guy suddenly looks self conscious about it and apologizes.  I ask to hold the gun.  Desert Eagles are pretty cool guns.

This, this is disturbing, asking to hold another guys gun who gets it out in a shop, is wrong in almost too many ways, I would have smiled, walked around the shop until I found the fire point and taken an extinguisher and snook up and brained the bastard, or crept out and internet shopped from that point onward, what is up with you people that devotion to the hand held killing machine reaches this level where you engage willingly with strangers when you could be queueing?
No wonder the rapture is so popular.
Life is meaningless and everything dies.

Suicide is dangerous- other philosophies are available-#Life is great.

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2019, 09:53:38 AM »
The gun wasn't loaded.  That would be a different story.

But I do have another gun story where it was loaded.  My wife used to work at this place where the landlord/part owner was kind of an asshole.  I wasn't there for this.  He came to work with a gun that he wanted to show off.  And what better way to show it off than to fire it into the air.  It was at that point that Mrs. Crouton immediately left work and called me in a panic.  I told her to call the police which she didn't do.  I kind of regret not calling the police myself. 

mak3m

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »

CO-OP stores are smaller convieiance stores open 07.00-23.00 generally, and are UK wide

Could have said Happy Shopper or Premier Store or an Express Store.

UK equivalent  Like a 7/11 but less gunny
You have to learn to reply without quoting a long previous answer.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2019, 12:03:11 PM »

CO-OP stores are smaller convieiance stores open 07.00-23.00 generally, and are UK wide

Could have said Happy Shopper or Premier Store or an Express Store.

UK equivalent  Like a 7/11 but less gunny

In the US a co op means something else.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 12:04:50 PM by sokarul »
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2019, 02:04:20 PM »

I feel we are learning more about each others cultures here, which is good right?
So, this idea that having a large expanse of land available, to an American it means get the firearms out, in the UK we would have a picnic, a lot less noisy and less chance of unintended collateral damage, discuss.

mak3m

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2019, 02:22:13 PM »
American culture is weird?

For example a US citizen on a picnic, bites into a scotch egg, to find the egg is missing. On returning from said picnic they go back to the 7/11, sometimes with assault rifles, complain and get a replacement scotch egg, a full refund or both.

How messed up is that?

What is wrong with a strongly worded letter, an anonymous TripAdvisor review, or better yet never speaking of it again.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2019, 04:30:57 PM »
Listen, if I find a "scotch egg" (whatever that is) in a picnic basket, I'm gonna start shooting the raccoons.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2019, 04:42:22 PM »
I'm gonna feed the raccoons rabies cereal and then throw them at foreigners.

mak3m

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2019, 05:01:23 PM »
Soft boiled scotch egg is the bestest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_egg

Pub near where I work, swaps out the sausage meat for black pudding

God damn it, it's one in the morning and i now need a scotch egg, THIS IS WHY WE DONT HAVE GUNS OR RACCOONS IN THE UK

Crouton

• Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2019, 06:18:11 PM »

I feel we are learning more about each others cultures here, which is good right?
So, this idea that having a large expanse of land available, to an American it means get the firearms out, in the UK we would have a picnic, a lot less noisy and less chance of unintended collateral damage, discuss.

I'm not sure there's a culture more similar to the US than England.  Maybe Canada or Australia? 

One big difference is the amount of wilderness here vs there.  We're mostly empty space.  Firearms have a legitimate use there.  Still a lot of critters that want to eat you and that you might want to eat.  Also the law is weaker outside of the city so the burden of self defense falls more on the individual.

Jura-Glenlivet II

• Flat Earth Inquisitor
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2019, 03:19:11 AM »

Yes, on the surface, but it’s like that Simpsons episode where Homer time travels, returns and they have lizard tongues.

From your post you seem to live with the ever-present danger of attack as a major concern, and what you are going to do.

We must contend with the amount of energy we are prepared to expend on huffing at someone if they don’t show manners.

It’s not like there aren’t dangers, Christmas markets have and will be targeted by terrorists, and we will grab what’s to hand (Narwhal horns and fire extinguishers at the last attack) and bash the blighters, but the markets will still be packed with those having minor heart failure if someone breaks a queue or coughs without covering their mouth.

mak3m

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2019, 03:41:58 AM »
I have come close to attacking queue breakers with Narwal tusks this week.

Denspressure

• What do you, value?
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2019, 11:11:50 AM »
The gun wasn't loaded.  That would be a different story.

But I do have another gun story where it was loaded.  My wife used to work at this place where the landlord/part owner was kind of an asshole.  I wasn't there for this.  He came to work with a gun that he wanted to show off.  And what better way to show it off than to fire it into the air.  It was at that point that Mrs. Crouton immediately left work and called me in a panic.  I told her to call the police which she didn't do.  I kind of regret not calling the police myself.
If you don't know for sure, you always assume a gun is loaded.

And even if you THINK you know, you always handle a gun as if it were loaded.

Worst case scenario, you remove the clip, and for some reason a bullet remains in the chamber. Or a dummy clip was loaded with a real bullet by accident.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:14:56 AM by Denspressure »
):

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2019, 11:13:48 PM »
You pull into a 7-11 to get a big gulp.  Before you get out of the car you notice a van pull up and four people get out and grab rifles from out of the back and are heading towards the entrance.

What do you do?

I chose to go to a different 7-11.

What do I do? First I ask myself a stack of questions.

It doesn't take 4 heavily armed, dangerous criminals to hold up one lousy 7-11. So, something doesn't sit right.

Unless ofcourse they are all disabled, mentally retarded, vegan activists, or Mark Sargent, Nathan Roberts, Darren Nesbit, and jeranism after their YouTube channels have been shut down.

Also, and another possibility - are they real rifles or just gel blasters that look like rifles? Is there any bright orange, yellow or green on the weapons? If no, we'll run with real rifles.

Now, look in the van and see if there is a 5th person behind the wheel. If yes, is there smoke coming out the tailpipe? If yes to both, the van is now looking like  a getaway vehicle. But, wait. Not so fast.

Are these men disguising their faces with stockings or balaclavas? BIG CLUE.

If yes, they aren't cops and aren't rednecks stopping in to grab refreshments on their way to hunt in the woods.

But wait, what's their demeanor? Are they cheerful, or do they look drug affected, paranoid, strung out, and like men on a mission? Yes to the latter, ok, so now you're reasonably certain you're witnessing a hold-up involving five armed men.

Now, you're asking what I'd do, Crouton?

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2019, 12:08:33 AM »
You turn on your camera phone and live stream the crime.  duh