All About maps

• 60 Replies

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
All About maps
« on: December 20, 2019, 06:56:11 AM »
I have read on this forum that some flat earth believers doubt the validity of our current maps. I personally find that extraordinary for a number of reasons, just one being a web-based app that makes use of satellite-derived data to produce very accurate mapping information for almost anywhere on the globe. It's the Photographers Ephemeris.
https://www.photoephemeris.com
https://www.jmpeltier.com/using-geodetics-photographers-ephemeris/

The Ephemeris allows one to plan landscape shoots, sunrises, sunsets, moonrises, moonsets all to a great degree of accuracy both by time and by the appearance of the terrain. This uses a relatively new feature Geodetics. The thing is, thousands of photographers use this app worldwide if there were some problems with the way it maps then it would have been highlighted years ago.

What the Ephemeris displays are an exact digital representation of the real world. If that's the case then both the mapping data and terrain information used must be correct. Again if this is the case how can there be a place for an alternative flat earth map? While it also predicts accurately the positions of the moon and sun this also must throw doubt on any flat earth belief regarding either body. The sun and moon move according to established principles in a way as discovered by conventional science. If conventional science were wrong then applications such as the Ephemeris would not work as all the data used has been derived from science that Flat Earth believers refute. If there is no possibility of a flat earth map, then there is no possibility of a flat earth.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Re: All About maps
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 01:47:23 PM »
If there is no possibility of a flat earth map, then there is no possibility of a flat earth.
The fact that no one can make a fixed scale map on a flat sheet of paper that correctly displays the distances between cities and continents, and relative sizes of the continents is, by itself, all that is needed to prove that the earth is not flat.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 04:03:49 PM »
If there is no possibility of a flat earth map, then there is no possibility of a flat earth.
The fact that no one can make a fixed scale map on a flat sheet of paper that correctly displays the distances between cities and continents, and relative sizes of the continents is, by itself, all that is needed to prove that the earth is not flat.
Try doing both Equatorial and Polar circumnavigations on any flat Earth map. A sphere has no edges any finite flat surface must have an edge.

Elementary (topology), my dear Watson! as Sherlock Holmes didn't say.

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 03:38:27 AM »
I have read on this forum that some flat earth believers doubt the validity of our current maps.
We have no doubt about currecnt maps. We are sure we have proven them being nothing but rubbish.

There is hence there is.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=74162.0

The highest and lowest cruise speeds of an airplane are evident. all factors affecting these speeds are also considered. these flights are compatible with the flat earth model. but they are not compatible with a round world. therefore the world is not round. but you can take as many photos as you want. anyway, angular size is an inverse tangent function to you and you should never actually see anything straight. because the image is an illusion. never mind them. rely on science. science is here.

Science is in front of your eyes. Science is talking you now. Listen him.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 04:10:18 AM »
I have read on this forum that some flat earth believers doubt the validity of our current maps.
We have no doubt about currecnt maps. We are sure we have proven them being nothing but rubbish.

There is hence there is.

The highest and lowest cruise speeds of an airplane are evident. all factors affecting these speeds are also considered. these flights are compatible with the flat earth model. but they are not compatible with a round world. therefore the world is not round. but you can take as many photos as you want. anyway, angular size is an inverse tangent function to you and you should never actually see anything straight. because the image is an illusion. never mind them. rely on science. science is here.

I think you must be the only person in the world who thinks that our maps are wrong! Do you think Google maps are wrong? As you appear to use them. What maps do you use to find your way around? Are you saying that all satnavs are wrong and not to be trusted?
Tell that to the billions of users who use the mapping functions on their smart phones!
Really…..what a laugh!!!

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Only Yang Scholar in The Ying Universe
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 04:32:34 AM »

There is hence there is.

I think you must be the only person in the world who thinks that our maps are wrong! Do you think Google maps are wrong? As you appear to use them. What maps do you use to find your way around? Are you saying that all satnavs are wrong and not to be trusted?
Tell that to the billions of users who use the mapping functions on their smart phones!
No, you are wrong about your estimate. %7 of world population thinks the earth flat. If the earth flat so your so called maps can not be true. This situation disproves you. the measurements on the maps are never accurate and you can never travel the known long distances using open paths within the time you thought you would. also with a one dollar cost compass google maps have been a lot of times refuted. It's simple, you can do it and discover true science, like all the other hundreds of millions of enlightened people who know the flat earth.
1+2+3+...+∞= 1

Come on bro, just admit that the the earth isn't a sphere, you won't even be wrong

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 04:43:09 AM »

There is hence there is.

The highest and lowest cruise speeds of an airplane are evident. all factors affecting these speeds are also considered. these flights are compatible with the flat earth model. but they are not compatible with a round world. therefore the world is not round. but you can take as many photos as you want.
You claim "We have no doubt about currecnt maps. We are sure we have proven them being nothing but rubbish."
You have never "proven them being nothing but rubbish."

Then you say "The highest and lowest cruise speeds of an airplane are evident. all factors affecting these speeds are also considered. these flights are compatible with the flat earth model."

Sure, the flights YOU have chosen might by compatible with YOUR so-called flat Earth map[/i] but:
You ignore all the flights that you can't fit onto your YOUR so-called flat Earth map[/i]!
Flights like Johannesburg to/from Perth, Johannesburg to/from Sydney, Sydney to/from Santiago, Aukland to/from Santiago, Santiago to/from Sao Paulo and Sao Paulo to/from Johannesburg.

Why won't those flights fit onto your flat-Earther map?

Then you go on with "but they are not compatible with a round world" but where did you prove that?
Just assuming distances can be found from flight times is not very accurate so you Would never know whether they "they are . .  compatible with a round world" or not!

But, Mr Wise, all of those flights that you "ignored" are "compatible with a round world"! Funny that! I wonder why you ignored them?

Now, Mr Wise, please show me a flat-Earth map that allows circumnavigation of the Earth by both the North Pole and the South Pole!

If you can't do that how can you believe that the Earth is flat?

The shape of the Earth is a matter of observation and one of those observations is that the Earth can be circumnavigated via both poles.
Here are a few polar-circumnavigation and if you dispute some of those take you evidence to the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale World Air Sports Federation, FAI and/or the Guinness Book of Records.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 05:01:14 AM »
No, you are wrong about your estimate. %7 of world population thinks the earth flat.
. . . . . . . . .
also with a one dollar cost compass google maps have been a lot of times refuted. It's simple, you can do it and discover true science, like all the other hundreds of millions of enlightened people who know the flat earth.
Try again with your 7%!
How prevalent is flat-Earthery?
When we asked YouGov for the data, however, we received a spreadsheet reflecting data for 10,374 respondents, of whom only 1.28 percent preferred the always-a-flat-earther response. 

And this is rubbish! You deny magnetic declination then claim "one dollar cost compass google maps have been a lot of times refuted". What silly rubbish!

I doubt that you have ever proven Google maps maps wrong on distance!
Not that Google maps ever claim to be perfect but they are far better than that thing you call a map.

If you think it's so wonderful let's see the latest version.

JackBlack

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 02:01:56 PM »
Really? I am yet to see you do anything to indicate a problem with current maps.
So far the closest you have done is shown that a cheap compass won't point North.

All your attempts at showing a problem have been refuted.
Meanwhile, your own method, when applied honestly, shows a massive problem with your map, which requires you to reject flights which show your map is wrong.

The highest and lowest cruise speeds of an airplane are evident. all factors affecting these speeds are also considered. these flights are compatible with the flat earth model. but they are not compatible with a round world.
No, these flights are entirely compatible with the RE model. Meanwhile, the flights you need reject and claim as fake are completely incompatible with your map.
Trying to make those flights work make other fights not work.
Therefore Earth can be round, but it can't be flat.

angular size is an inverse tangent function to you and you should never actually see anything straight.
While angular size is an inverse tangent function, that doesn't mean straight lines wont appear straight.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 02:20:18 PM »
If anybody wants to support the North Pole Centred Ice Wall map I suggest that you read this:

This video shows the track of the container ship, Olivia Maersk, sailing from Aukland in NZ, to Paita in Peru plotted on the AEP Map and on Google earth:

Boats across the Southern Hemisphere by BM Furball Pancake Hero Mar 21, 2019.

When plotted on the AEP Map the ship's route looks like this and was about 24,920 km:

"Boats across the Southern Hemisphere" at 5:06 - curved AEP map track 24,920 km

I wonder why that Sea Captain would take a curved path like that requiring his ship to sail that 24,920 km (13,456 Nm) in 15.6
 days[1] and that is an average speed of almost 36 knots. But no container ship can sail at anything like that speed!
Note the video says 12 days and 43 knots but I suspect that is not for the whole voyage.

Maybe that Sea Captain was using the wrong map ;), who knows? So let's try that same route plotted on the dreadful ;D Google Earth Map:

"Boats across the Southern Hemisphere" at 4:15 - straight Globe track 10,060 km

Look! Now the distance is only about 10,060 km (5432 Nm) and the required average speed is now only 14.5 knots - again the video has a higher figure.

Now Karaka seems to be experienced in these matters:
Hello all,

I am a sea captain and I have circumnavigated. I am a master navigator. If the earth was a flat plane and not a globe, my navigation tools would not work, the math would not compute and I would be incapable of reaching my destination.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
As a sailor, you will be forced to accept the fact that Earth is round.
Maybe he can sort out this little conundrum ::).

[1] I took my elapsed time from this:

At 2:21 in video - Olivia Maersk route forcast whereas BM Furball Pancake Hero presumably has details of the faster parts of the route.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 01:21:14 AM »
If the earth flat so your so called maps can not be true.

A bit of a conundrum here. As the converse is: If 'our' so called maps are true, the earth cannot be flat.

As evidenced by the extremely successful global transport of goods and humans around the planet on an everyday basis using "our" maps, your statement boxes you into a corner. 'Our' maps are true, utilized globally, and there's no evidence to the contrary.

Using your words: This situation disproves you.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 11:04:07 AM »

There is hence there is.

No, you are wrong about your estimate. %7 of world population thinks the earth flat. If the earth flat so your so called maps can not be true. This situation disproves you. the measurements on the maps are never accurate and you can never travel the known long distances using open paths within the time you thought you would. also with a one dollar cost compass google maps have been a lot of times refuted. It's simple, you can do it and discover true science, like all the other hundreds of millions of enlightened people who know the flat earth.
Accurate flat earth map please.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 09:12:50 PM »

Maps are accurate. Maps are flat.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 10:48:37 PM »
I think the problem in using computers to prove the globe is that it's all virtual reality.
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

kids: say no to drugs

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 10:50:49 PM »
Don't forget, the Earth is kind of rippley, i think, with very big hills and valleys. Wouldn't this be a very similar obstacle to map as global.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:29:02 PM by faded mike »
"Using our vast surveillance system, we've uncovered revolutionary new information..."
           -them

theoretical formula for Earths curvature = 8 inches multiplied by (miles squared) = inches drop from straight forward

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 12:09:58 AM »
Don't forget, the Earth is kind of rippley, i think, with very big hills and valleys. Wouldn't this be a very similar obstacle to map as global.

Hence the field of Geodesy and the creation and use of topo maps. It's a bumpy world we live on, but to Bull's point, our maps are quite accurate and typically unfurl flat.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 12:50:24 AM »
I think the problem in using computers to prove the globe is that it's all virtual reality.
What does that have to with maps of the Globe and that early cartographers made Terrestrial Globes so that navigators could better visualise their travels?

Maps and Globes are not new!
One of the earliest cartographers was Gerardus Mercator who lived from 1512 to 1594 and look how he represented the earth!

Mercator Globe
Quote from: Mercatornet
Mercator who?
In 1569 he created the first Mercator projection: a wall map of the world on 18 separate sheets entitled: “New and more complete representation of the terrestrial globe properly adapted for its use in navigation”. Its novel feature was that lines of longitude, latitude and rhomb lines all appeared as straight lines on the map. Its defect, of course, was that the land masses at the top and bottom are enlarged and distorted. Nonetheless it became essential for hardy souls venturing upon unknown seas in search of wealth, knowledge, and adventure.

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 04:32:55 PM »

No
The distance between seatle and boston people can easily understamd and take into account the relatovely small discrepancy between actual driving distances vs flying.

The discrepancy can be acccounted for as per geodesic surveys mentioned.

Australia to south ameroca dont work on a flat earther map.

You are trying to introduce a nonarugment purposefully in a poor attempt to validate the flat side?

Sorry.
There is no way for a flatty to make a map where three 90degree turns gets you back to start.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »

No
The distance between seatle and boston people can easily understamd and take into account the relatovely small discrepancy between actual driving distances vs flying.

You are trying to introduce a nonarugment purposefully in a poor attempt to validate the flat side?

Sorry.
There is no way for a flatty to make a map where three 90degree turns gets you back to start.

Yeah but I generally don't see the curvature. And you are not looking at this skeptically from an honest position to accept it if its true, am i right?  Have you driven out of your town and measured the apparent height of the buildings?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 01:46:36 PM by faded mike »
           -them

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 02:02:33 PM »
Look at the road at 2:00 in the vid.

I think this could be something.
           -them

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2020, 02:22:01 PM »

I think this could be something.

What about it?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2020, 02:30:31 PM »

Yeah but I generally don't see the curvature. And you are not looking at this skeptically from an honest position to accept it if its true, am i right?  Have you driven out of your town and measured the apparent height of the buildings?
Curvature is not easy to see because there is virtually no "side-to-side" curve on the ocean horizon from a low altitude as in:

But viewing objects that project above water-level as they recede into the distance does clearly show that the ocean must curve.
This sort of thing:

Or are a couple of screenshots from the video below showing the Bathurst Lighthouse on Rottnest Island from two different heights above sea-level:
They were taken from Princes St, Cottesloe, Western Australia.

Bathurst Lighthouse from 100 ft

Bathurst Lighthouse from 6 ft
The screenshots are from this video:

Bathurst Lighthouse - The fastest flat Earth destroyer in the West.

If the ocean is flat, why is far more visible from 100 ft above sea-level than when 6 ft above sea-level.
It does look as though a "bulge of water" is between the camera and Rottnest Island.

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »

No

Sorry.

Incoorect.
Yui sir are not being honset by attempting to introduce doubt and validate a nonconcern to a susceptible few.
If you looked at your claim sceptically you woild realise the difference is near neglible if you accountd for hills and valleys or not, while the FE map is out by 1000s of km on a basic level when comparing apples-apples from point-point.

faded mike

• I'm thinkin flat
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2020, 09:03:50 PM »

No

Sorry.

Incoorect.
Yui sir are not being honset by attempting to introduce doubt and validate a nonconcern to a susceptible few.
If you looked at your claim sceptically you woild realise the difference is near neglible if you accountd for hills and valleys or not, while the FE map is out by 1000s of km on a basic level when comparing apples-apples from point-point.
What is it that plague the susceptible few? And i wasn't trying to make your point.
           -them

JackBlack

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 01:06:02 AM »
Yeah but I generally don't see the curvature.
So you haven't seen the sun set beyond the horizon?
Or that you can see further the higher you are?
Just what are you expecting the curvature to look like?

And you are not looking at this skeptically from an honest position to accept it if its true
I am looking at it skeptically from an honest position to determine the shape of Earth.
A RE works, a FE doesn't.
From my own experience I can tell it is round, almost certainly roughly spherical, but I can't tell if it is an oblate spheroid.
But from the much more accurate measurements of others, and basic physics, I am happy to accept that it is.

But more relevant to the topic, I see no way to make a map of a flat Earth. I know there is a north celestial pole. I know there is a south celestial pole. I know you can circle both, by which I mean you can keep it to one side as you travel around and eventually come back to the same point.
This means there must be a point on Earth below them, the north and south pole.
I also know these are always 180 degrees apart.
This simply CANNOT work on a FE with conventional physics. Instead magic bendy light needs to be invoked, with the equator tearing itself apart.
But it works just fine on a RE.

Can you produce a map containing a north and south pole, which are always 180 degrees apart?

With the many flights which exist, I know there is no way to connect the airports involved, without making Earth round.
If you try it with a FE, you eventually get to the point where some flights are just impossible due to the massive distances.

Have you been doing the same? Honestly looking at Earth to determine if it is round or flat? Or are you just being skeptical of Earth being round and just accepting it is flat?

Yes, look at how far you can see when you are up high?
Why can't you see that far normally?
In this case the road even appeared to be going uphill onto a mountain (or out of a valley).

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 05:23:30 AM »

No

Sorry.

Incoorect.
What is it that plague the susceptible few? And i wasn't trying to make your point.

Some fe have a "feeling" the earth is flat because conventional science "cant be trusted".
Youre trying to validate that mistrust by introducing doubt.
That doubt is unfounddd and irrelevant.

Dafuq you on about?
I know youre not making my point.

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 06:51:08 AM »
What makes FE people think conventional science cannot be trusted?   Why would it need to lie?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:54:57 AM by Solarwind »

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 07:22:23 AM »
Yeah Bully, truing to be cute again are we. Problem is, your statement is False

Maps are flat, but they are not accurate with a fixed scale over large distances. Precisely because the earth is not flat and therefore cannot be accurately rendered on such a map.

Yes

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 09:05:00 AM »
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 11:20:04 AM »
Yeah Bully, truing to be cute again are we. Problem is, your statement is False

Maps are flat, but they are not accurate with a fixed scale over large distances. Precisely because the earth is not flat and therefore cannot be accurately rendered on such a map.
Maps are accurate for the projection system they use.