Lets revisit this flight scenario again....

• 86 Replies

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
Re: Lets revisit this flight scenario again....
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2019, 06:11:46 PM »
Someone already answered your original question accurately.

Interesting misuse of the word 'accurately'.

From an FE perspective, as far as I can tell, the answer to your question is unknown.

Indeed, perhaps unknowable.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2019, 06:28:03 PM »
Someone already answered your original question accurately.

Interesting misuse of the word 'accurately'.

From an FE perspective, as far as I can tell, the answer to your question is unknown.

Indeed, perhaps unknowable.

Why would it be unknowable?
Nullius in Verba

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2019, 06:29:33 PM »
How do you propose we find out?
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »

Do it. Fly a plane due South over the South Pole and keep going on that heading and record the results.
Nullius in Verba

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »
I do not happen to have a plane with such a range on hand at the moment. Do you mind if I borrow yours?  :-\

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2019, 04:33:28 AM »
It’s almost 2020. You don’t need to own a plane to fly in one.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2019, 08:42:58 AM »
It’s almost 2020. You don’t need to own a plane to fly in one.

You have chartered such a flight then? Or were you volunteering?

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2019, 09:45:24 AM »

Do it. Fly a plane due South over the South Pole and keep going on that heading and record the results.

As confirmed in another topic, doing that requires turning around.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2019, 01:09:13 PM »

Actually no.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendée_Globe

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2019, 01:35:53 PM »

What happens if you don't? If you head to the South Pole on a bearing South and continue on the same heading after passing the South Pole, what happens?
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2019, 05:44:23 PM »

Actually no.

Actually, yes.

Read and understand https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=83799.0

If you "fly a plane due South over the South Pole" the instant you are at the South Pole you are flying North.
If you then "keep going on that heading" (i.e., due South) you must turn around so that instead of going north you are going south.

Your link about yacht racing has nothing to do with flying over the South Pole.

And here's how to properly tag a URL so that the SMF parser doesn't truncate the address:

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2019, 05:50:34 PM »

What happens if you don't? If you head to the South Pole on a bearing South and continue on the same heading after passing the South Pole, what happens?

See above. If you "head to the South Pole on a bearing South" (your words, not mine) and "continue on the same heading [ed. I.e., a bearing South] after passing the South Pole" (your words, not mine), then your path takes you south over the Pole, and the instant you have passed the Pole you must turn around to continue on the same heading south.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2019, 06:02:18 PM »
Can you have a direction that is south while not be dependent on being south?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

wonkaswilly12

• Quantum earther
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2019, 06:15:19 PM »
Flat earthers have no answer because if you were to replicate this you would find out that the earth is round. They don't like doing experiments that will prove them wrong..
The earth is an infinite 4D plane!

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2019, 06:23:02 PM »

See above. If you "head to the South Pole on a bearing South" (your words, not mine) and "continue on the same heading [ed. I.e., a bearing South] after passing the South Pole" (your words, not mine), then your path takes you south over the Pole, and the instant you have passed the Pole you must turn around to continue on the same heading south.
What if you don't turn around?
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »

Then you have violated the principles of your demonstration to "Fly a plane due South over the South Pole and keep going on that heading"

wonkaswilly12

• Quantum earther
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2019, 06:30:32 PM »

Then you have violated the principles of your demonstration to "Fly a plane due South over the South Pole and keep going on that heading"

That's a great non answer to the question. You obviously get the meaning of the question but choose to nitpick
The earth is an infinite 4D plane!

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2019, 07:02:47 PM »

And... what else?
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2019, 07:12:35 PM »

And... what else?

And ... I hope you'll read the previously referenced topic and my posts in this topic, because I've answered your question about what happens and am disappointed that you fail to understand. Since you obviously want a particular answer, feel free to pose it and I'll explain why it is correct or incorrect.

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »

That's a great non answer to the question. You obviously get the meaning of the question but choose to nitpick

I prefer to call it getting the details correct, but whatever. Potato, potato.

Macarios

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2019, 08:24:49 PM »

The reason to turn around would be to take another direction that would be named "due south", because the original direction would pass the South pole and continue to the north. On a Flat earth it would be like Pacman or Asteroids arcade games: passing the edge of the screen would simply bring you to the opposite side.
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

EvolvedMantisShrimp

• Physical Comedian
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2019, 07:44:44 AM »

And... what else?

And ... I hope you'll read the previously referenced topic and my posts in this topic, because I've answered your question about what happens and am disappointed that you fail to understand. Since you obviously want a particular answer, feel free to pose it and I'll explain why it is correct or incorrect.

If you have posted an answer, please repost it. I don't want you to explain why MY answer is correct or incorrect. I want YOUR answer.
Nullius in Verba

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2019, 08:20:05 AM »

And... what else?

If you have posted an answer, please repost it. I don't want you to explain why MY answer is correct or incorrect. I want YOUR answer.

If you "fly a plane due South over the South Pole" the instant you are at the South Pole you are flying North.
If you then "keep going on that heading" (i.e., due South) you must turn around so that instead of going north you are going south.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2019, 09:21:38 AM »
Do you think it’s acceptable to mix cardinal directions with magnetic directions?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2019, 09:53:28 AM »
Do you think it’s acceptable to mix cardinal directions with magnetic directions?

Where did this non sequitur come from? No one has either stated or implied anything about "magnetic directions" in this topic. Go off and start your own new topic if you want to change the subject, but don't try to derail this one!

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2019, 02:07:14 PM »
You are missing the point. Cardinal directions go for an infinite distance. The South Pole is just an arbitrary spot. If you wanted to change your direction after you crossed the South Pole it would be because you want to change your direction, not because you want to keep the same direction.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2019, 02:37:52 PM »
You are missing the point. Cardinal directions go for an infinite distance. The South Pole is just an arbitrary spot. If you wanted to change your direction after you crossed the South Pole it would be because you want to change your direction, not because you want to keep the same direction.

I find no reference anywhere that "cardinal directions go on for an infinite distance" and instead numerous references that the cardinal directions are north, east, south, and west and operate in the way I have specified.

If you have a different reference that supports your statement, please provide it.

I am doubtless "missing the point" because you are making up your own definition of cardinal directions to attempt to make your point.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2019, 03:06:12 PM »

I find no reference anywhere that "cardinal directions go on for an infinite distance" and instead numerous references that the cardinal directions are north, east, south, and west and operate in the way I have specified.
They are 2D directions. When does the direction north stop being north?

If you have a different reference that supports your statement, please provide it.
I don’t need to prove directions.

I am doubtless "missing the point" because you are making up your own definition of cardinal directions to attempt to make your point.
No. You think a bearing magically changes because you pass a made up spot.

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2019, 04:05:04 PM »

They are 2D directions. When does the direction north stop being north?

No they are not. They are north, east, south, and west, and those are not 2D directions. Following a great circle north stops being north when you pass over the North Pole and then becomes south. Following east at any point other than the equator means turning away from a great circle; the closer to a pole, the tighter the turn.

I don’t need to prove directions.

Yeah you do when you get the definition wrong. You're just making shit up.

No. You think a bearing magically changes because you pass a made up spot.

Of course it does. It's not magic, it's the definition of the direction. The directions north, east, south, and west are defined by the spots you like to call made up, but which have actual physically distinct characteristics.

Quit making up stuff you want to be true.

While not properly citing sources, the Wikipedia entry on cardinal directions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_direction) describes it with reasonable accuracy:
"Thus the bearing of a straight path crossing the North Pole changes abruptly at the Pole from North to South. When travelling East or West, it is only on the Equator that one can keep East or West and be going straight (without the need to steer). Anywhere else, maintaining latitude requires a change in direction, requires steering."

Post a reference that adheres to your definition.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2019, 04:37:01 PM »
Let's reword that slightly:
If you "fly a plane due South over the South Pole" the instant you cross the South Pole you are flying North.
If you then keep going along the great circle through your position and the South Pole) you continue flying north.