Proof that Antarctica is out of bounds

• 257 Replies

rvlvr

Re: Proof that Antarctica is out of bounds
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2019, 04:28:59 AM »
None of this has much to do with Antarctica tourism. Who wants to visit an ice sheet at -40 degrees or lower filled with disgusting, smelly penguins, who rape their own dead and be under watch from military who do not want you to traverse there? Most people have the good sense to know what is out of bounds. Be it mother nature telling them not to bother with the place or past events strongly indicating nefarious actions involved in the untimely deaths to those that dare.
It would appear many do want to visit. You don’t. Does not mean everyone thinks the same.

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2019, 04:29:40 AM »
Rab you talk lies.

There is not a so gle other continent on Earth that you are not allowed to free roam (countries like North Korea are the exception for political reasons).

You want to 'see' Antarctica? You can go on a plane where the route and what you fly over is dictated. You can not step foot and do your own thing.

You want to work there? You must be background checked and have a valid security clearance from your government despite Antarctica not being 'owned' by anyone. What the hell?

Anyone that wants to go there by boat has to have a plan forwarded to other people of where and how long they will be there. I don't need to do this if I want to go to Greenland.

So yes. There are bounds in Antarctica. It most certainly is not 'in bounds' for just anyone.

What you say is just not true. You can believe it, you can say it, but the fact is, its just not true. It does cost and that's for sure
https://www.adventure-life.com/antarctica/cruises/2230/antarctic-peninsula-basecamp-plancius

I'm not sure why people continue to perpetuate the myth about Antarctica. I know several people who have gone to Antarctica, one being an old chap I know of 88 who spent many of his early years' whaling in the waters around Antarctica, his base being on Soth Georgia, which back then according to him was very basic. Now, of course, its a popular tourist destination for those visiting Antarctica.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2019, 04:32:14 AM »
To say Antarctica is out of bounds in plan foolish. A friend of mine just returned last week from a photographic expedition along with a number of other photographers, photographing the landscape and penguins.

If you have the cash, it sure isn't cheap, on you go:
https://www.responsibletravel.com/holidays/antarctica/travel-guide/antarctic-wildlife-photography-expeditions

To say these trips don't exist is just plain silly.

A lot of the promotional pictures on that site are taken either from the waters with the boat still at sea, or on the coast. Where are the pictures of people doing their own thing without a watchful eye

I never said travel there was impossible - just that YOU dont get to free roam. On these cruises, you sail around a coast, see a few whales and maybe step on to shore to see a few stinky penguins. On a plane, you are dictated what you can see from the flight route. If the pilot deviates, then expect the plane to be downed such as the case from the New Zealand disaster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_New_Zealand_Flight_901

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2019, 04:34:27 AM »
I never said travel there was impossible - just that YOU dont get to free roam.
No, YOU said, "Proof that Antarctica is out of bounds"!

rvlvr

« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2019, 04:34:36 AM »
https://www.mandalatravel.fi/pohjois-korea/pohjois-korean-kiertomatka

~3 000 euros to visit North Korea via China. Not cheap, but not exactly lottery winner expensive either.

https://www.lomalinja.fi/risteily/ihmeellinen_antarktis

Antarctic is expensive. Between 11 000 and 13 500 euros.

Timeisup

« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2019, 04:35:24 AM »
For the exact you think there shouldn't be.
Do you know why you have so much free reign in those countries?
MONEY!
They want you to come and spend money as a tourist, and then leave.
If they had you on an extremely tight leach, watching every move you made, not only would that cost money, but it would make you less inclined to come and spend money.
And if something were to happen to you, there are already systems in place there to deal with it.

North Korea debunks your BS

It generates plenty of money with tourism despite the uber tight leash placed on tourists. Even though tourists know their hotels are bugged and they cant leave the sight of their guide and that they know their guide is spouting North Korean BS propaganda, they still come in droves.

Even though tourists know they can still be arbitrarily detained and sentenced to hard labour and torture if they step one foot out of place - they still come.

And yet, they still get a lot of money with tourism

This could be a reason however

I one time emailed the Chief Minister of the ACT if he could implement a similar program to drive tourism in Canberra. I actually got a reply back saying he wouldn't. What a dumbarse.

If we stick to the facts which can be easily verified. I would not say 4,000 to 6000 tourists each year visiting North Korea generates, as you put it " plenty of money"  We receive over 3.2 million tourists each year and I would say that generates a substantial amount of money. A few thousand highly controlled tourists on the other hand, no.

Those tourists pay through the nose to get there. It isn't cheap. Tours are frequently fully booked. It is a great revenue stream for them. And clearly they are not deterred by the controls

Also, why do you cite a figure that has the caveat western tourists? I know you got that from wikipedia. It leaves out Chinese visitors which make up the majority of tourism

Here is another source
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/north-korea-limits-visitor-numbers

North Korea has had to cap the number to 1000 PER DAY!

None of this has much to do with Antarctica tourism. Who wants to visit an ice sheet at -40 degrees or lower filled with disgusting, smelly penguins, who rape their own dead and be under watch from military who do not want you to traverse there? Most people have the good sense to know what is out of bounds. Be it mother nature telling them not to bother with the place or past events strongly indicating nefarious actions involved in the untimely deaths to those that dare.

Assuming your facts are correct that is still only 365,000 tourists per annum, hardly the revenue income stream you were claiming. One of the main limiting factors is the number of available hotels.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2019, 04:35:56 AM »
It would appear many do want to visit. You don’t. Does not mean everyone thinks the same.

Yeah, and they dont get to do what they want. I'm sure many dont want to traverse the desert in -40 or lower temps. The other people just look out a plane window on a dictated flight route or park not much further than the coast. Most of it is whale watching from the waters around Antarctica. Maybe in the case of Timeisup's friend, kill a few whales.  :'( >:(

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2019, 04:38:15 AM »

This plane wasn't interested in watching whales or skipping along the coast with the penguins you moron.  ::) They wanted to go much further in. The powers that be obviously didn't allow it

Know your place

Timeisup

« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2019, 04:39:08 AM »
To say Antarctica is out of bounds in plan foolish. A friend of mine just returned last week from a photographic expedition along with a number of other photographers, photographing the landscape and penguins.

https://www.responsibletravel.com/holidays/antarctica/travel-guide/antarctic-wildlife-photography-expeditions

A lot of the promotional pictures on that site are taken either from the waters with the boat still at sea, or on the coast. Where are the pictures of people doing their own thing without a watchful eye

I never said travel there was impossible - just that YOU dont get to free roam. On these cruises, you sail around a coast, see a few whales and maybe step on to shore to see a few stinky penguins. On a plane, you are dictated what you can see from the flight route. If the pilot deviates, then expect the plane to be downed such as the case from the New Zealand disaster

Watchful eyes!, how do you know this, have you yourself been? Where do you get your information from? These trips make impromptu stops at very remote locations which are weather dependant. Are you saying there are people at every potential stopping point watching those that land? Have you any idea how huge Antarctic is?
Really…..what a laugh!!!

rvlvr

« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2019, 04:39:37 AM »

Yeah, and they dont get to do what they want. I'm sure many dont want to traverse the desert in -40 or lower temps. The other people just look out a plane window on a dictated flight route or park not much further than the coast. Most of it is whale watching from the waters around Antarctica. Maybe in the case of Timeisup's friend, kill a few whales.  :'( >:(
You seem to know a lot about peoples’ wants!

Timeisup

« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2019, 04:40:45 AM »

This plane wasn't interested in watching whales or skipping along the coast with the penguins you moron.  ::) They wanted to go much further in. The powers that be obviously didn't allow it

You appear to know a lot of "secret stuff" how do you come by this? what are your sources?
Really…..what a laugh!!!

rvlvr

« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2019, 04:41:55 AM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Roald_Amundsen

I would be more than happy sailing on that ship, in those surroundings.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 04:43:59 AM by rvlvr »

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2019, 04:44:10 AM »

Watchful eyes!, how do you know this, have you yourself been? Where do you get your information from? These trips make impromptu stops at very remote locations which are weather dependant. Are you saying there are people at every potential stopping point watching those that land? Have you any idea how huge Antarctic is?

Heard of technology? This isn't the dark ages anymore. Governments can watch a very large area no problem.

Know your place

rvlvr

« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2019, 04:45:38 AM »
And data and information is available to everyone. Assanges and Anonymous, etc.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2019, 04:47:02 AM »

You appear to know a lot of "secret stuff" how do you come by this? what are your sources?

If I said, maybe people would look for me to knock me off.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Roald_Amundsen

I would be more than happy sailing on that ship, in those surroundings.

I would too. But that ship isn't a threat. Unless it can sail on the ice deep into Antarctica. No one gives a shit about a few whale watchers

Know your place

rvlvr

« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2019, 04:50:56 AM »
So they know you know. But they let you live? Why?

I doubt the security of this platform is especially high. Kinda goes against what you say, this all.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2019, 04:51:24 AM »
You can see the sandwich she made for you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Hameister
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2019, 04:54:44 AM »

Yeah, and they dont get to do what they want.
What about the great number on independent expeditions, alone, in pairs or in small goups.

If you organise a private expedition you can get to do what you want within the limits of the Antarctic Treaty!
But it will certainly cost you plenty of money just to set yourself up, arrange supplies and emergency evacuations etc.
There are no Care-flight helicopters down there. There are organisations that arrange for small groups but be ready with your $100,000 and the rest.

It's not the place for untrained individuals to just wander around.

You complain that they are recorded but that's simply because either they are out to set a record or gain kudos in some way.
But just "wandering off solo" is rather dangerous in a place that can be so hostile and changeable.

But you cannot wriggle out of your erroneous claim, "Proof that Antarctica is out of bounds" with diversion tactics like this!

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2019, 04:56:42 AM »

If I said, maybe people would look for me to knock me off.

Guilty conscience, I see ;D!
Or is it plain simple paranoia?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2019, 05:00:51 AM »
You can see the sandwich she made for you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Hameister

Load of crap. The article is a feminist load to inspire women to do 'what men can do'. Removing the stigma that only a man is tough enough for this stuff

Some of the feats from a 14 year old girl  ::)

North Pole
In April 2016, Hameister (then aged 14) travelled 150 km from 88 degrees 40 over the drifting polar sea ice to arrive at the North Pole to become the youngest person (male or female) in history to ski to the North Pole from anywhere outside 89 degrees.[4]

Each day, Hameister skied with her 50 kg sled for 8–10 hours navigating around open 'leads' of water or climbing over 'pressure ridges' in the ice, the travel was complicated and the days were physical and arduous. After establishing camp each night, the expedition found, on waking the next morning that they had drifted off course on a strong easterly ocean current ('negative drift'). Temperatures were as low as −40C and Hameister faced other risks such as falling through thin ice into the freezing Arctic waters and polar bears

Greenland
The second expedition saw Hameister complete the 550 km traverse the Greenland ice-cap departing from Kangerlussuaq on the West Coast and finishing at Isortoq Hut on the East Coast on 4 June 2017. Spending roughly 9 hours a day on the ice covering approximately 25 km a day, Hameister pushed herself to complete the expedition in 27 days, making her the youngest woman in history to cross Greenland Ice caps.[7]

Progress for the first three days was slow, as Hameister had to work her way up through the West coast icefall in crampons. The team found themselves navigating around melt ponds and crevasses in the maze-like environment which meant constant dead ends and endless back-tracking to find a viable route.

Once through the icefall, Hameister began her grind up to the top of the polar icecap reaching around 2,850m above sea level at day 17.

Temperatures at night dropped to −20 degrees, but the warm conditions during the day meant that soft surface snow did not grant an easy descent down from the top of the polar plateau. At one point, Hameister resorted to smearing butter on the skins of her skis to create more glide and stop the snow balling up under her feet.

Hameister was hit early in the trip by a blizzard but due to the warm weather she was pelted with rain instead of snow, forcing her to cut the days short to try and dry out in her tent.

South Pole

Hameister embarked on the final leg of her Polar quest at the end of November 2017. This journey saw Hameister cover over 600 km from the Ross Ice Shelf at the coast of Antarctica to the South Pole. She completed the trek in 37 days and reached the South Pole on 10 January 2018.[9] Hameister claimed a handful of titles including the youngest person in history as well as the first Australian woman ever to ski from the coast to the South Pole.

Hameister dragged a sled weighing around double her body weight from sea level up to around 3000m in altitude on the polar plateau, where temperatures sit at around minus 30 degrees. This contained all her food and fuel for the journey. Her days were filled with 24-hour daylight and an intense solitude; no plant or animal life is seen this far south, just snow, ice, rock and sky.

Some of these would be a feat near impossible for seasoned muscly blokes. Yet we are supposed to believe a 14 year old girl, with no muscle definition and little experience can do it???

Amazing what some people believe  ::) ::)

Know your place

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2019, 05:03:05 AM »
Here I made a template for you.

Quote from: Shifter
The evidence I have for my claims is the following:
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #141 on: December 15, 2019, 05:04:22 AM »
If the pilot deviates, then expect the plane to be downed such as the case from the New Zealand disaster

What total adulterated garbage!
Read EREBUS: The Story.
Initially, it was put down to pilot error but that blames the pilot for a situation totally unforeseen.

rvlvr

« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2019, 05:05:18 AM »
Shifter, that is pretty low. I mean now you haved moved to ”girls can’t do that” territory.

I can’t deadlift 350 pounds. At least not when I was 14.

https://www.insideedition.com/this-incredibly-strong-14-year-old-powerlifter-can-deadlift-347-pounds-56303
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 05:08:26 AM by rvlvr »

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2019, 05:08:49 AM »
If the pilot deviates, then expect the plane to be downed such as the case from the New Zealand disaster

What total adulterated garbage!
Read EREBUS: The Story.
Initially, it was put down to pilot error but that blames the pilot for a situation totally unforeseen.

A white out shouldn't be an issue. Unless auto pilot flight routes have planes fly into mountains.

And why would a pilot simply not increase altitude? It's a white out. Sight seeing is over anyway right?

Know your place

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2019, 10:48:09 AM »
Wait, just so that I understand the premise of this discussion.

He is saying that the Antarctica is out of bounds and protected by the military.
So the military downed a military plane, and this is proof that its protected by the military?

WHAT?
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »

He is saying that the Antarctica is out of bounds and protected by the military.
So the military downed a military plane, and this is proof that its protected by the military?

WHAT?

Governments around the world are always shooting down others' planes. What's your point?

Know your place

rvlvr

« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2019, 10:53:05 AM »
It could be the Russians, man!

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2019, 10:57:44 AM »

WHAT?

Governments around the world are always shooting down others' planes. What's your point?
1 - Thats how you start a war.

2 - Proof that it was shot down?

3 - Antartica is massive! unless there was a US or Russian base close by, few anti air craft systems will be able to shoot an aircraft down in the middle of no where unless they where specifically targeting it. These systems dont rely on magic.

If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2019, 10:58:08 AM »
It could be the Russians, man!

And it could be the Chinese. Or the Americans. I dont think Australia has the balls to pull it off though.

For all we know it could be shape shifting reptilians!! Ok, maybe not those guys

Know your place

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #149 on: December 15, 2019, 11:00:07 AM »

WHAT?

1 - Thats how you start a war.

2 - Proof that it was shot down?

3 - Antartica is massive! unless there was a US or Russian base close by, few anti air craft systems will be able to shoot an aircraft down in the middle of no where unless they where specifically targeting it. These systems dont rely on magic.

Underground missile silos and flak cannons dotted across the continent

Know your place