Proof that Antarctica is out of bounds

• 257 Replies

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
Re: Proof that Antarctica is out of bounds
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2019, 10:19:20 PM »
Rab you talk lies.

There is not a so gle other continent on Earth that you are not allowed to free roam (countries like North Korea are the exception for political reasons).

You want to 'see' Antarctica? You can go on a plane where the route and what you fly over is dictated. You can not step foot and do your own thing.

You want to work there? You must be background checked and have a valid security clearance from your government despite Antarctica not being 'owned' by anyone. What the hell?

Anyone that wants to go there by boat has to have a plan forwarded to other people of where and how long they will be there. I don't need to do this if I want to go to Greenland.

So yes. There are bounds in Antarctica. It most certainly is not 'in bounds' for just anyone.

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2019, 10:30:40 PM »
Rab you talk lies.

There is not a so gle other continent on Earth that you are not allowed to free roam (countries like North Korea are the exception for political reasons).

You want to 'see' Antarctica? You can go on a plane where the route and what you fly over is dictated. You can not step foot and do your own thing.

You want to work there? You must be background checked and have a valid security clearance from your government despite Antarctica not being 'owned' by anyone. What the hell?

Anyone that wants to go there by boat has to have a plan forwarded to other people of where and how long they will be there. I don't need to do this if I want to go to Greenland.

So yes. There are bounds in Antarctica. It most certainly is not 'in bounds' for just anyone.

If I want to go to Greenland, I have to go through customs and present the proper documentation to enter. If I want to stay there past a certain period of time as designated by the Greenland gov't, I need permission. If I want to work there, I need a specific visa granted that allows me to do so.

22 miles off the shore where I live are the Farralon Islands, literally just a bunch of rocks that stick up in the Pacific, maybe 2 square miles in size. I am not allowed to get within a specific distance let alone make landfall on them. They are a protected landmass for seal breading grounds. Unless I have a special permit granted to me as an oceanic researcher, I can't get near them.

There seem to 'bounds' in many areas of the world. Some higher than others, but bounds nonetheless.

I don't really see your point.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2019, 11:08:14 PM »
Rab you talk lies.

If I want to go to Greenland, I have to go through customs and present the proper documentation to enter. If I want to stay there past a certain period of time as designated by the Greenland gov't, I need permission. If I want to work there, I need a specific visa granted that allows me to do so.

22 miles off the shore where I live are the Farralon Islands, literally just a bunch of rocks that stick up in the Pacific, maybe 2 square miles in size. I am not allowed to get within a specific distance let alone make landfall on them. They are a protected landmass for seal breading grounds. Unless I have a special permit granted to me as an oceanic researcher, I can't get near them.

There seem to 'bounds' in many areas of the world. Some higher than others, but bounds nonetheless.

Antarctica isn't owned by anyone. Greenland is. Of course you want to visit or work you get permission. Permission bar your history showing you to be a criminal piece of shit is almost always granted. Once there you can wander without oversight.

Antarctica? Not so

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2019, 11:17:51 PM »
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2019, 11:23:56 PM »
Rab you talk lies.
What I wrote was completely true and you've never proven otherwise.

Quote from: Shifter
Please learn to read Mr Shifter! What I wrote was:
Not only that but visitors are allowed to visit Antarctica and even the South Pole itself.
All I said was that "visitors are allowed to visit Antarctica" and they most certainly are. Why wouldn't they be?

But I said nothing about "to free roam" though there have been plenty of one and two person expeditions.

And where did you drag that from? How many would you like?
  • 1989–1990 – Antarctic crossing on foot by Reinhold Messner and Arved Fuchs. 2800 km. 92 days.
  • 1992–1993 – British Polar Plod – led by Ranulph Fiennes with Mike Stroud (physician), first unassisted expedition crossing the continent by ski, (2,173 km in 95 days).
  • 1992–1993 – British Polar Plod – led by Ranulph Fiennes with Mike Stroud (physician), first unassisted expedition crossing the continent by ski, (2,173 km in 95 days).
  • 1992–1993 – Erling Kagge (Norway), first unassisted, and first solo expedition to the South Pole by ski, (1,310 km in 53 days).
  • 1996–1997 – Břrge Ousland (Norway) first person to travel across Antarctica solo. The crossing went from coast to coast, from Berkner Island to the Ross Sea, and was unsupported (without resupplies). He used a kite as traction for parts of the expedition. 63 days, 3,000 km.
  • 2000–2001- Norwegian Liv Arnesen and the American Ann Bancroft crossed Antarctica on ski-sail from Blue 1 Runaway 13 November reaching after 94 days of expedition McMurdo, passing through the South Pole.
  • 2008 – Todd Carmichael sets coast-to-pole solo/unsupported record of 39 days, 7 hours and 49 minutes.
  • 2016−2017 – 7 February Mike Horn completes first ever solo, unsupported north-to-south traverse of Antarctica from the Princess Astrid Coast (lat -70.1015 lon 9.8249) to the Dumont D'urville Station (lat -66.6833 lon 139.9167) via the South Pole. He arrived at the pole on 7 February 2017. A total distance of 5100 km was covered utilizing kites and skis in 57 days.
  • 2018–2019 – 13 January, Matthieu Tordeur (France) becomes the first French and youngest in the world (27 years and 40 days) to ski solo, unsupported (no resupply) and unassisted (no kiting) from the coast of Antarctica (Hercules Inlet) to the South Pole
Who was supervising those people?

That's just a few and doesn't include the numerous flights including Duck Smith's where visited many of the bases, including a Russian vase.

There are "out if bounds" areas in all countries so what? Antarctica, as a whole is not "out of bounds".

Your topic was "Proof that Antarctica is out of bounds" and that is completely wrong.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2019, 11:33:44 PM »
Rab you talk lies.

Antarctica isn't owned by anyone.

Neither is the North Pole region. So I still don't get your point.

JackBlack

« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2019, 11:42:26 PM »
Really?
You think you can just hop in a boat, sail over to another country then hop off and roam around freely?
Nothing required before hand?
No Visa needed? No electronic clearance?
No Passport?
Can you just enter the country without any indication of when you will leave?
NO!

Back in reality, you first need to obtain a passport. This is issued by the government of the country you live in.
Then you need some form of approval from the other country, with the requirements for that varying from country to country.
Typically you will need to state what you are doing over there, and often have tickets booked for a return journey.

Then when you are travelling over the continent you will typically have to repeat that process.

For international locations with no country "owning" it, your own government does the checks instead.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2019, 12:23:07 AM »
Really?
You think you can just hop in a boat, sail over to another country then hop off and roam around freely?
No Passport?
NO!

Back in reality, you first need to obtain a passport. This is issued by the government of the country you live in.
Then you need some form of approval from the other country, with the requirements for that varying from country to country.
Typically you will need to state what you are doing over there, and often have tickets booked for a return journey.

Then when you are travelling over the continent you will typically have to repeat that process.

For international locations with no country "owning" it, your own government does the checks instead.

Did you selectively not read my last post before posting this nonsense. Of course you didn't. This is JackBlack here.

I already stated that other countries require permission to enter but they are soverign countries with their own governments. Of course that is fair enough. But how many of those countries after permission is granted, have you on a tight leash? How many restrict your movement? A few for political reasons but there is infrastructure and people to protect

There is nothing in Antarctica but ice. And penguins. So why the tight leash? Why the security clearance? Why the bases protected with military?

No. You do not have free reign in Antarctica. The fact that lyinoz can name people who have visited there shows that exactly. Is there any record of my trip to Iceland anywhere? No. So why the record of trips to Antarctica? Whoever these trekkers were they clearly had permission granted, security checked and had to log their trip and route first.

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2019, 12:46:47 AM »
Really?
No Passport?
NO!

Did you selectively not read my last post before posting this nonsense. Of course you didn't. This is JackBlack here.

I already stated that other countries require permission to enter but they are soverign countries with their own governments. Of course that is fair enough. But how many of those countries after permission is granted, have you on a tight leash? How many restrict your movement? A few for political reasons but there is infrastructure and people to protect

There is nothing in Antarctica but ice. And penguins. So why the tight leash? Why the security clearance? Why the bases protected with military?

No. You do not have free reign in Antarctica. The fact that lyinoz can name people who have visited there shows that exactly. Is there any record of my trip to Iceland anywhere? No. So why the record of trips to Antarctica? Whoever these trekkers were they clearly had permission granted, security checked and had to log their trip and route first.

What exactly is the argument you are trying to make? That it's not super easy to cavort on a mostly baron unpopulated landmass as much as you would prefer? And that means something? I fail to see the point in this threads existence.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2019, 12:49:20 AM »
Really?
No Passport?
NO!

What exactly is the argument you are trying to make? That it's not super easy to cavort on a mostly baron unpopulated landmass as much as you would prefer? And that means something? I fail to see the point in this threads existence.

Well read the OP. People died when protocol was obviously not adhered to.

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2019, 12:58:22 AM »
No. You do not have free reign in Antarctica. The fact that lyinoz can name people who have visited there shows that exactly.
And I suspect that you'll find a record of all those attempted to climb Mt Everest, so what?
But, like it or not, preparing for an Antarctic expedition, even a solo one, is not easy not is it inexpensive.

Anyone could drop into the coast but they would have no right to expect hospitality at any of the bases unless it's been prearranged. They aren't motels or service stations for supplies or fuel.

But stop you silly ignorant unfounded accusations and face reality for once, Mr Shifter!

I did not claim that anyone had "free reign in Antarctica" but nobody could stop those individuals on those expeditions "doing there own thing.".

You claimed that you had "Proof that Antarctica is out of bounds" and you have presented no such proof.

You have read "The Antarctic Treaty", I suppose. Have a look: THE ANTARCTIC TREATY.

It is to prevent the militarization and protect the environment of Antarctica.

Runaway with you stupid conspiracy theories!

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2019, 01:06:02 AM »
Really?
No Passport?
NO!

Well read the OP. People died when protocol was obviously not adhered to.

I just re-read it and the article. What 'protocols' were not adhered to and so obviously so?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2019, 01:29:52 AM »
No. You do not have free reign in Antarctica. The fact that lyinoz can name people who have visited there shows that exactly.
And I suspect that you'll find a record of all those attempted to climb Mt Everest, so what?
But, like it or not, preparing for an Antarctic expedition, even a solo one, is not easy not is it inexpensive.

Anyone could drop into the coast but they would have no right to expect hospitality at any of the bases unless it's been prearranged. They aren't motels or service stations for supplies or fuel.

But stop you silly ignorant unfounded accusations and face reality for once, Mr Shifter!

I did not claim that anyone had "free reign in Antarctica" but nobody could stop those individuals on those expeditions "doing there own thing.".

You claimed that you had "Proof that Antarctica is out of bounds" and you have presented no such proof.

You have read "The Antarctic Treaty", I suppose. Have a look: THE ANTARCTIC TREATY.

It is to prevent the militarization and protect the environment of Antarctica.

That treaty is not worth my sons used nappy. Not only that, it has an expiration date and you can bet China wants to expand itself there and militarize it along with North America. Do you really think neither of them have already brought weapons to the island in preparation
https://www.fairobserver.com/region/north_america/who-will-control-antarctic/

Also have a read of this and tell me that all countries in Antarctica are there for benevolent purposes
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-30/china-in-antarctica-inspection-regime/10858486

I just re-read it and the article. What 'protocols' were not adhered to and so obviously so?

The university student did not have security clearance. Obviously

https://www.660citynews.com/2019/12/11/stand-out-student-among-passengers-on-missing-chilean-plane/

I direct your attention to the sentence

the 24-year-old was headed to the remote, frozen continent to study drinking water systems at the military base.

Keep in mind this was a military plane they were in too.

So much for rabs insistence that everyone there is peaceful and only doing 'research'.

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2019, 01:40:13 AM »

https://www.660citynews.com/2019/12/11/stand-out-student-among-passengers-on-missing-chilean-plane/

the 24-year-old was headed to the remote, frozen continent to study drinking water systems at the military base.

So much for rabs insistence that everyone there is peaceful and only doing 'research'.

"The university student did not have security clearance. Obviously"

What does that mean? And how or why would you know this, obviously? Do tell what security clearance the student did or did not have. Obviously.

That's your "protocols were not adhered to" OP supposition? Obviously?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2019, 01:43:21 AM »
Well read the OP.
I did!
People died
Yes, a plane crashed and people died. That is tragic but planes crash for numerous reasons.

when protocol was obviously not adhered to.
That is nothing more than a baseless innuendo.
You have posted no evidence that "protocol was . . .  not adhered to" nor that was any evidence lf foul play.

You have nothing and have proven nothing other than that you are useless conspiratard.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2019, 01:45:03 AM »

What does that mean? And how or why would you know this, obviously? Do tell what security clearance the student did or did not have. Obviously.

Obviously

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2019, 01:51:17 AM »

Obviously

So it's a "just because I said so and this was just me musing" thing? Cool.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2019, 02:00:00 AM »

Obviously

Cool

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2019, 02:02:32 AM »

Obviously

Cool

8)

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2019, 02:07:55 AM »
That treaty is not worth my sons used nappy.
So you say but your word seem worth nothing.
How little you know.
The Chilean Antarctic claims are historic and date from centuries before the treaty.
Since Chile is a signatory it can carry on with any historic activities not precluded by the Antarctic Treaty:
Within Chilean territorial organization Antártica is the name of the commune that administers the territory. The commune of Antártica is managed by the municipality of Cabo de Hornos with seat in Puerto Williams and belongs to Antártica Chilena Province, which is part of Magallanes y la Antártica Chilena Region. The commune of Antártica was created on July 11, 1961, and was dependent on the Magallanes Province until 1975, when the Antártica Chilena Province was created, making it dependent administratively on Puerto Williams, the province capital.

Chilean territorial claims on Antarctica are mainly based on historical, legal and geographical considerations. The exercise of Chilean sovereignty over the Chilean Antarctic Territory is put into effect in all aspects that are not limited by the signing of the Antarctic Treaty of 1959.

You've still got nothing but baseless innuendo.

But please explain why you claim that "Antarctica is out of bounds". What would be the purpose of such restructions?

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2019, 02:13:22 AM »
That treaty is not worth my sons used nappy.
So you say but your word seem worth nothing.
How little you know.
The Chilean Antarctic claims are historic and date from centuries before the treaty.
Since Chile is a signatory it can carry on with any historic activities not precluded by the Antarctic Treaty:
Within Chilean territorial organization Antártica is the name of the commune that administers the territory. The commune of Antártica is managed by the municipality of Cabo de Hornos with seat in Puerto Williams and belongs to Antártica Chilena Province, which is part of Magallanes y la Antártica Chilena Region. The commune of Antártica was created on July 11, 1961, and was dependent on the Magallanes Province until 1975, when the Antártica Chilena Province was created, making it dependent administratively on Puerto Williams, the province capital.

Chilean territorial claims on Antarctica are mainly based on historical, legal and geographical considerations. The exercise of Chilean sovereignty over the Chilean Antarctic Territory is put into effect in all aspects that are not limited by the signing of the Antarctic Treaty of 1959.

You've still got nothing but baseless innuendo.

But please explain why you claim that "Antarctica is out of bounds". What would be the purpose of such restructions?

It's not my claim that it is 'out of bounds'. But events such as the downing of planes and security clearances required for entry make that abundantly obvious

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2019, 03:00:50 AM »
It's not my claim that it is 'out of bounds'.
It is obviously your claim! Read your own topic title, "Proof that Antarctica is out of bounds".

But events such as the downing of planes
You still have not posted evidence let alone proof that any planes were "downed"!
Planes crash for numerous reasons including mechanical failure or pilot error. At least wait until the cause of the crash has been determined before jumping in with your conspiracy theories,

and security clearances required for entry make that abundantly obvious
What total rubbish. They make nothing "obvious" except to conspiratards like you.
You've even never shown evidence that any required clearances were lacking.

You started the thread with nothing and you've gone down hill ever since.

Don't bother posting again unless you at least have evidence of foul play.

By the way a security clearance is not generally reqjired for jobs in Antarctica.
It's a matter for the country involved and in the case of the USA and Australia some jobs do need a clearance but by no means all.

JackBlack

« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2019, 03:07:23 AM »
Did it magically negate your prior claims?

I didn't see you admit your prior claims were pure nonsense.

Did you selectively not read my post and just skim over it?

There is nothing in Antarctica but ice. And penguins. So why the tight leash? Why the security clearance?
For the exact you think there shouldn't be.
Do you know why you have so much free reign in those countries?
MONEY!
They want you to come and spend money as a tourist, and then leave.
If they had you on an extremely tight leach, watching every move you made, not only would that cost money, but it would make you less inclined to come and spend money.
And if something were to happen to you, there are already systems in place there to deal with it.

But Antarctica, as per the Antarctic treaty, is to be protected from harm. It isn't a place to just go and destroy for money. If something happens to you there, you will be the responsibility of your country.

No. You do not have free reign in Antarctica. The fact that lyinoz can name people who have visited there shows that exactly. Is there any record of my trip to Iceland anywhere?
The record not being public doesn't mean there is no record.
The reason it isn't publicised is because it isn't noteworthy at all.
Who says you have free reign?
Not having free reign doesn't mean it is out of bounds.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2019, 03:08:30 AM »

Who are you to tell me what to do? It is my thread. Maybe I should tell you to stop posting your nonsense.

None of you have posted evidence to the contrary of the plane being downed. Until you can, your posts are merely shilling or speculation

Know your place

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2019, 03:22:35 AM »
MONEY!
If they had you on an extremely tight leach, watching every move you made, not only would that cost money, but it would make you less inclined to come and spend money.
And if something were to happen to you, there are already systems in place there to deal with it.

North Korea debunks your BS

It generates plenty of money with tourism despite the uber tight leash placed on tourists. Even though tourists know their hotels are bugged and they cant leave the sight of their guide and that they know their guide is spouting North Korean BS propaganda, they still come in droves.

Even though tourists know they can still be arbitrarily detained and sentenced to hard labour and torture if they step one foot out of place - they still come.

And yet, they still get a lot of money with tourism

This could be a reason however

I one time emailed the Chief Minister of the ACT if he could implement a similar program to drive tourism in Canberra. I actually got a reply back saying he wouldn't. What a dumbarse.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 03:25:08 AM by Shifter »

Know your place

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2019, 04:12:55 AM »
None of you have posted evidence to the contrary of the plane being downed. Until you can, your posts are merely shilling or speculation
No, it doesn't work that way, Mr Shifter!
Until you can show adequate evidence that the plane was deliberately "downed" you have nothing.
If you make the accusation it's up to you to present supporting evidence.

rvlvr

« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2019, 04:13:10 AM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disasters_in_Antarctica_by_death_toll

I wonder who killed the Spaniards. Did the penguins have lazors installed already back in 1819?

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2019, 04:13:43 AM »
MONEY!

It generates plenty of money with tourism despite the uber tight leash placed on tourists. Even though tourists know their hotels are bugged and they cant leave the sight of their guide and that they know their guide is spouting North Korean BS propaganda, they still come in droves.

Even though tourists know they can still be arbitrarily detained and sentenced to hard labour and torture if they step one foot out of place - they still come.

I one time emailed the Chief Minister of the ACT if he could implement a similar program to drive tourism in Canberra. I actually got a reply back saying he wouldn't. What a dumbarse.

If we stick to the facts which can be easily verified. I would not say 4,000 to 6000 tourists each year visiting North Korea generates, as you put it " plenty of money"  We receive over 3.2 million tourists each year and I would say that generates a substantial amount of money. A few thousand highly controlled tourists on the other hand, no.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Timeisup

• You still think that. You cannot be serious ?
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2019, 04:18:05 AM »
To say Antarctica is out of bounds in plan foolish. A friend of mine just returned last week from a photographic expedition along with a number of other photographers, photographing the landscape and penguins.

If you have the cash, it sure isn't cheap, on you go:
https://www.responsibletravel.com/holidays/antarctica/travel-guide/antarctic-wildlife-photography-expeditions

To say these trips don't exist is just plain silly.
Really…..what a laugh!!!

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2019, 04:26:58 AM »
MONEY!

If we stick to the facts which can be easily verified. I would not say 4,000 to 6000 tourists each year visiting North Korea generates, as you put it " plenty of money"  We receive over 3.2 million tourists each year and I would say that generates a substantial amount of money. A few thousand highly controlled tourists on the other hand, no.

Those tourists pay through the nose to get there. It isn't cheap. Tours are frequently fully booked. It is a great revenue stream for them. And clearly they are not deterred by the controls

Also, why do you cite a figure that has the caveat western tourists? I know you got that from wikipedia. It leaves out Chinese visitors which make up the majority of tourism

Here is another source
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/north-korea-limits-visitor-numbers

North Korea has had to cap the number to 1000 PER DAY!

None of this has much to do with Antarctica tourism. Who wants to visit an ice sheet at -40 degrees or lower filled with disgusting, smelly penguins, who rape their own dead and be under watch from military who do not want you to traverse there? Most people have the good sense to know what is out of bounds. Be it mother nature telling them not to bother with the place or past events strongly indicating nefarious actions involved in the untimely deaths to those that dare.

Know your place