Tesla is making an El Camino!

• 307 Replies
Re: Tesla is making an El Camino!
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2019, 07:13:41 AM »
Crumple Zones are BS.
Have you any expert support for this statement?  There seems to be a wealth of evidence and expert opinion that disagrees.

but if you get plowed into by a semi, or wrap your car around a tree/pole, it isn't going to make a difference.
That would depend on lots of factors - cars are undoubtedly safer for their occupants than they have been in the past and one of the factors is crumple zones.

It's like saying don't wear a crash helmet on a bike because if you drive off a cliff it won't help.

Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2019, 08:23:36 AM »
Talking about exploding technology, Hiroshima 1945 comes to mind. US burnt down a town and said a nuclear bomb had exploded. Fake News!
Talking about self driving vehicles Apollo 11 1969 comes to mind. Back then US used three alcoholics to land on the Moon.
So you haven't read of all the decisions made by the astronauts on the various Lunar missions.
Without those human actions some would have been unnecessarily aborted and at least one possible stuck on the Moon.

Human intelligence is often very useful in cases like that. It's a pity that yours seem to have withered away.

Quote from: Heiwa
Typical Hollywood. Great show and Fake News!
Latest hoax is artificial intelligence so we don't need clowns like Elon Musk to present the madness.
You should really lay off that Absolut. It seems to have addled your brain.
That artificial intelligence might be better than your atrophied intelligence.
No, I only followed Apollo 11. All was automatic then, 1969 AI worked fine. No need for any humans aboard. I always wondered what they did aboard. Watching stars? Having a drink?
I offer anyone €1M to explain how the trip was done by AI. See thread up top!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2019, 10:54:16 AM »
If your asking for full-self-driving with no intervention by people in any circumstance ever conceived.
That will come soon after AI gains the "singularity", i.e. super intelligent general intelligence. This may be never to 10's of years away.
Yep, I broadly agree with that, though Musk wouldn't.  At least in public.   However I think we will see lorries driving up and down highways between warehouses within a few years.

There is literally a self driving bus in my city thats been in testing for almost a year.  It now goes up to 40 kph.
And by testing I mean there is a person in the small bus in case of emergency but otherwise it functions like a normal, albiet slower, bus.
Get back to me when they get rid of the person.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2019, 10:57:09 AM »
No, I only followed Apollo 11. All was automatic then, 1969 AI worked fine. No need for any humans aboard. I always wondered what they did aboard. Watching stars? Having a drink?
Apollo 11 was not done by AI.  Now STFU about things that you don't understand.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:15:15 AM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

NotSoSkeptical

• Flat like a droplet of water.
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2019, 11:48:55 AM »
Crumple Zones are BS.
Have you any expert support for this statement?  There seems to be a wealth of evidence and expert opinion that disagrees.

but if you get plowed into by a semi, or wrap your car around a tree/pole, it isn't going to make a difference.
That would depend on lots of factors - cars are undoubtedly safer for their occupants than they have been in the past and one of the factors is crumple zones.

It's like saying don't wear a crash helmet on a bike because if you drive off a cliff it won't help.

Yeah.  Inertia. 

By definition, The crumple zone is designed to slow the impact over time to reduce the peak force applied to a occupant during a crash.  So they say.

I don't know about you, but I've watched crash tests and the time the crumple zone actually crumples is beyond miniscule (0.1s @ 35mph).  And guess what, even though the car is absording kinetic energy from the impact and slowing down over a longer period of time, your body is still moving forward at 35mph until it hits a restraint (seatbelt).  You are not part of the car.  And even if the car and you did slow down, how much did the vehicle slow down from the time of impact until the the crumple zone crumples.  35mph to X in the distance of the crumple zone and X to 0 once you hit rigidity.

I'd love to see that data.  I'm sure it just says a lot.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:03:00 PM by NotSoSkeptical »
Rabinoz RIP

That would put you in the same category as pedophile perverts like John Davis, NSS, robots like Stash, Shifter, and victimized kids like Alexey.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2019, 12:36:21 PM »
Crumple Zones are BS.

Yeah.  Inertia. 

By definition, The crumple zone is designed to slow the impact over time to reduce the peak force applied to a occupant during a crash.  So they say.

I don't know about you, but I've watched crash tests and the time the crumple zone actually crumples is beyond miniscule (0.1s @ 35mph).  And guess what, even though the car is absording kinetic energy from the impact and slowing down over a longer period of time, your body is still moving forward at 35mph until it hits a restraint (seatbelt).  You are not part of the car.  And even if the car and you did slow down, how much did the vehicle slow down from the time of impact until the the crumple zone crumples.  35mph to X in the distance of the crumple zone and X to 0 once you hit rigidity.

I'd love to see that data.  I'm sure it just says a lot.

A crash at over 35mph is going to ruin your day no matter what. It's just it could end up being the difference between you ending 6ft under or living life as a cripple or maybe lucky enough to walk again. Crumple zones in low speed collisions certainly make a difference. Highway speed you're fudged whether your car crumples like an accordion or not

There's also pedestrians to think about which forms party of the safety. I know the thinking of others is a concept foreign to many yanks though so understand how you might have overlooked that

Quote from: sokarul
what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

What animal relates to your wife?

Know your place

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2019, 12:42:00 PM »
AI, self driving cars etc only serve one purpose. To serve the elite classes

One day, our population will crash (undergo a correction). It wont be the rich and powerful that are taken out either. We plebs are securing their future. Not ours.

I dont know anyone who hates the task of driving so much they are happy to hand over their life and safety to a computer. Most people are happy to have something to do. A purpose in life. Do we think that this world can sustain 11-12 billion people? (predicted maximum)

We invent AI and automation for the rich and powerful. The pleb class will lay down in the dust

And then we augment our bodies and becomeA.I. But that's another story  :)

what website did you use to buy your wife? Did you choose Chinese over Russian because she can't open her eyes to see you?

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2019, 12:49:02 PM »

One day, our population will crash (undergo a correction). It wont be the rich and powerful that are taken out either. We plebs are securing their future. Not ours.

I dont know anyone who hates the task of driving so much they are happy to hand over their life and safety to a computer. Most people are happy to have something to do. A purpose in life. Do we think that this world can sustain 11-12 billion people? (predicted maximum)

We invent AI and automation for the rich and powerful. The pleb class will lay down in the dust

These people in LA stuck on the 405 would looooove to have self driving cars....

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2019, 12:56:20 PM »

These people in LA stuck on the 405 would looooove to have self driving cars....

Self driving cars wont solve that problem. You'd still be stuck for ages

However staggering work shift times would go a long way to alleviate it

When you have a city of millions of people all due to start work at 9am, of course that's going to happen

You need to get out of the mindset of a 9-5 work day and embrace a 24 hour day ie start/finish at a time that's convenient for you. For reasons I wont drag on about, shifting to a 24 hour economy as opposed to mainly 9-5 would be a boon for the economy and employment overall

In the absence of teleportation technology, better public transportation systems would also help this. Making it free would also be cheaper for the economy overall
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:57:55 PM by Shifter »

Know your place

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2019, 01:01:12 PM »
Self driving cars can do a lot to help traffic.  But only when it gets to the point where they replace human drivers.

It's coming. It has to happen and it'll be a sad day when it does.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »

When you have a city of millions of people all due to start work at 9am, of course that's going to happen

You need to get out of the mindset of a 9-5 work day and embrace a 24 hour day ie start/finish at a time that's convenient for you. For reasons I wont drag on about, shifting to a 24 hour economy as opposed to mainly 9-5 would be a boon for the economy and employment overall

In the absence of teleportation technology, better public transportation systems would also help this. Making it free would also be cheaper for the economy overall

I'm not saying that self driving cars will solve the problem, I'm saying one could be doing whatever else they want whilst stuck on the 405 rather than having to pilot an inching forward automobile. Let the self driving cars do all the inching forward whilst one sips champagne, reads some Chekhov, and snorts some lines off the touchscreen.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2019, 01:57:26 PM »

I'm not saying that self driving cars will solve the problem, I'm saying one could be doing whatever else they want whilst stuck on the 405 rather than having to pilot an inching forward automobile. Let the self driving cars do all the inching forward whilst one sips champagne, reads some Chekhov, and snorts some lines off the touchscreen.

We can already do that. We have in screen entertainment systems, mobile phones to use when we are stopped  ;) :P 8). Even that is safer than a fully automated car. There's also the concern about your car being hacked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hastings_(journalist)

Former U.S. National Coordinator for Security, Infrastructure Protection, and Counter-terrorism Richard A. Clarke said that what is known about the crash is "consistent with a car cyber attack." He was quoted as saying: "There is reason to believe that intelligence agencies for major powers—including the United States—know how to remotely seize control of a car.

Know your place

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »

We can already do that. We have in screen entertainment systems, mobile phones to use when we are stopped  ;) :P 8). Even that is safer than a fully automated car. There's also the concern about your car being hacked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hastings_(journalist)

Former U.S. National Coordinator for Security, Infrastructure Protection, and Counter-terrorism Richard A. Clarke said that what is known about the crash is "consistent with a car cyber attack." He was quoted as saying: "There is reason to believe that intelligence agencies for major powers—including the United States—know how to remotely seize control of a car.

Good point, with traffic that jammed you probably could do some blow pretty seamlessly...And maybe wouldn't care if your car got hacked or not.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2019, 11:50:07 PM »
Technology generally tends to improve lives everywhere and for everyone.
Yes, there are almost always negative side effects, but we tend to find a lot more good use for technology than not.

The first man made fire could hurt another person, but was probably useful for a few more things.
Self driving cars that only drive the rich around is silly. That means it will have no market penetration. No market penetration means no profit.

And then why are people scared of self driving tech? I mean, if you dont want to use the technology, just dont.
Its like complaining that facebook is ruining everyones life, and then continuing to use facebook.

Again, the tech wont magically appear and take over all cars instantly. It takes about 10 years to replace all the cars on the roads. So even if they started making every car roll off the assembly line today be 100% self driving, you have 10 years where you can live in bliss. But the reality is, if there is a market for people who dont want self driving, there will be none self driving cars. It will take a very long time before the tech gets into even 50% of new cars as an option, never mind standard.

Self driving cars, like any other major tech in the past will have good stuff and bad stuff.
Truck drivers will lose jobs, but deliveries may happen quicker and cheaper.

Your not complaining that the incandescent light bulb put candle makers out of business now, and you wont complain that truck drivers arnt a thing in 20 years time. We will move on.
If you move fast enough, everything appears flat

Crouton

• Flat Earth Inspector General of High Fashion Crimes and Misdemeanors
  • Planar Moderator
  • Djinn
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2019, 12:08:06 AM »
Yes, there are almost always negative side effects, but we tend to find a lot more good use for technology than not.

The first man made fire could hurt another person, but was probably useful for a few more things.
Self driving cars that only drive the rich around is silly. That means it will have no market penetration. No market penetration means no profit.

And then why are people scared of self driving tech? I mean, if you dont want to use the technology, just dont.
Its like complaining that facebook is ruining everyones life, and then continuing to use facebook.

Again, the tech wont magically appear and take over all cars instantly. It takes about 10 years to replace all the cars on the roads. So even if they started making every car roll off the assembly line today be 100% self driving, you have 10 years where you can live in bliss. But the reality is, if there is a market for people who dont want self driving, there will be none self driving cars. It will take a very long time before the tech gets into even 50% of new cars as an option, never mind standard.

Self driving cars, like any other major tech in the past will have good stuff and bad stuff.

Your not complaining that the incandescent light bulb put candle makers out of business now, and you wont complain that truck drivers arnt a thing in 20 years time. We will move on.

There'll be a market.  But it'll only be specialized reservations where they can drive like the olden days.  The roads and the rules will be restructed in such a way that humans couldn't possibly drive them safely.

That picture from Shifter earlier.  I see 6 lanes going in either direction for a total of 12 lanes. 

Here's what's going go happen.  Each lane is 12 feet wide to give us some leeway.  Computer's don't need nearly that much.  Now we have 12 lanes each way. 

These lanes are currently one way.  They'll be changed to any way yield the lowest total travel time. 

All vehicles will be networked to plan out their optimum strategy to people to places fast and safely.

Cars will be shrunk to a much smaller size appropriate to the typical number of passengers.  These cars will plan their routes in such a way that they're available to the greater number of people in the shortest amount of time.
 Actually owning a car is something only the rich will do.  Most people will use a network of on demand autonomous vehicles.

I know this scenario seems very optimistic.  But it's going to happen.  We have the tech and we have a powerful motivation to increase profits, save money, and get there safely.
Intelligentia et magnanimitas vincvnt violentiam et desperationem.
The truth behind NASA's budget

Lorddave

« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2019, 12:45:35 AM »
The biggest issue to such cars is legal, mainly.

Like when your driverless car hits and kills someone crossing the street, outside of a cross walk, with a bike, whose to blame?  The programmers?  The automaker?  The owner of the car?
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2019, 02:25:30 AM »

Like when your driverless car hits and kills someone crossing the street, outside of a cross walk, with a bike, whose to blame?  The programmers?  The automaker?  The owner of the car?

the Insurance Company

Heiwa

• I have been around a long time.
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2019, 08:18:19 AM »
Apollo 11 was not done by AI.  Now STFU about things that you don't understand.
Well, Apollo 11 was speeding at >7 000 m/s around Earth in low orbit summer 1969, when the pilot decided to extend the orbit to the Moon. The pilot managed to do this at the right location and time using a rocket engine fired in the right direction, with the right thrust during a couple of minutes ... and the result was that the spacecraft accelerated to > 11 000 m/s and arrived at the Moon a couple of days later at much slower speed. Gravity you know. Plenty fuel was also used.
Had the pilot fired the rocket engine 1° in the wrong direction using less fuel, he would have killed himself going off into eternity.
I have asked NASA several times how the pilot did it, and I have been informed 1969 Artificial Intelligence (a computer) was used. The pilot was in the bar having a drink. Like on a ship at sea.

Don't forget that Tesla/SpaceX CEO Elon Musk sent one of his cars to planet Mars the same way some time ago. Somebody should offer Elon a drink sometime to clarify.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 08:23:12 AM by Heiwa »

Lorddave

« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2019, 09:40:25 AM »

the Insurance Company

Insurance companies don't get charged with vehicular manslaughter.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2019, 11:19:50 AM »
There'll be a market.  But it'll only be specialized reservations where they can drive like the olden days.  The roads and the rules will be restructed in such a way that humans couldn't possibly drive them safely.

That picture from Shifter earlier.  I see 6 lanes going in either direction for a total of 12 lanes. 

Here's what's going go happen.  Each lane is 12 feet wide to give us some leeway.  Computer's don't need nearly that much.  Now we have 12 lanes each way. 

These lanes are currently one way.  They'll be changed to any way yield the lowest total travel time. 

All vehicles will be networked to plan out their optimum strategy to people to places fast and safely.

Cars will be shrunk to a much smaller size appropriate to the typical number of passengers.  These cars will plan their routes in such a way that they're available to the greater number of people in the shortest amount of time.
 Actually owning a car is something only the rich will do.  Most people will use a network of on demand autonomous vehicles.

I know this scenario seems very optimistic.  But it's going to happen.  We have the tech and we have a powerful motivation to increase profits, save money, and get there safely.
This presumes all humans drive in cities or other well understood environments 100% of the time.
I love the idea of self driving cars, but a car without a steering wheel is useless to me. I go camping in areas where off roading is the norm (I live in Africa, lots of dirt roads here) I am an architect, which means I end up in construction sites all the time, often far from great infrastructure.

It is easy to forget that the other humans live vastly different lives to others. There will be none self driving cars in 100 years from now, even if we perfect it next year.

MaNaeSWolf

• Show me the evidence
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2019, 11:23:04 AM »

Depends on the situation. Fortunately all these technologies have lots of cameras, sensors and data logs.
But it seems that the car companies are prepared to take responsibility, the cost of insurance is easy to built in to the cost of the vehicle.
The idea is that there will be fewer accidents overall, so we hope that there will be less loss of life.

Tesla has released a few statements saying that their cars are far less likely to be in an accident in they are on their Autopilot system. So there is that.

Wolvaccine

• EXTRA SPICY MODE
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2019, 12:59:39 PM »
I think cars will always be built to allow a human operator /control. It will have self driving capability but like a plane has auto pilot, it still has a human in ultimate charge

Wi-Fi is not 100% reliable or guaranteed. Last thing anyone wants is millions of cars on the road and for some solar flare or radiation surge to disrupt communications and either all the cars stop (for safety) or crash.

How many times has your ISP screwed up and you were left without internet access even if a brief period?

Imagine if some numpty screwed up applying a patch upgrade and knocked out the internet that a million cars were using and they all crashed.

Give me a human behind a wheel any day. Driving is also a skill and can be fin

It's like a motorbike. Sure it's more 'risky' but that's part of the thrill.

Automatic vs manual cars... I hate automatics! I prefer to be in control! And I like shifting. (see what I did there ;))

Know your place

Pezevenk

• Militant aporfyrodrakonist
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2019, 03:11:52 AM »

We have had the tech for years to build better public transit though... Idk why everyone is so obsessed with improved cars etc, like, yeah, it has its drawbacks but it is a lot cheaper, more efficient and feels more human to just have good public transit in the form of trains/subways/monorails/whatever and some buses, plus improved walkability of cities, instead of some weird cyberpunk nightmare of self driving cars zooming around everywhere. It just sounds nicer to me. The subway in Athens is pretty bare bones and basic, and even that is good enough to the point where I almost never have to drive. And that's just with 3 metro lines and some buses. It's also gonna free up roads so that there can be more streets for walking, and it's gonna make it easier for emergency vehicles to move around too.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:15:40 AM by Pezevenk »
Member of the BOTD for Anti Fascism and Racism

It is not a scientific fact, it is a scientific fuck!
-Intikam

Read a bit psicology and stick your imo to where it comes from
-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2019, 03:17:20 AM »

Self driving cars won't solve that, public transit will.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2019, 04:33:40 AM »

Are you trying to solve self determination?

Pezevenk

« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2019, 05:44:54 AM »

Are you trying to solve self determination?

Self determination means sitting in a metal container for hours on end waiting for the other metal containers to move now?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2019, 05:50:39 AM »
It's turning a corner on a whim.

Pezevenk

« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2019, 05:53:17 AM »
It's turning a corner on a whim.
Oh, I'm so sorry. Which is it? Can't walk around corners? Difficulties changing lines?

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Pezevenk

« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2019, 05:54:10 AM »
Don't mind me, just flexing my individuality by being stuck in a traffic jam because thousands of other people decided to flex their individuality in exactly the same way.

-Intikam

-Intikam (again)

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2019, 06:01:18 AM »
Don't mind me, just flexing my individuality by being stuck in a traffic jam because thousands of other people decided to flex their individuality in exactly the same way.

Not hating on you.
Go invent the future.

The problem is you little bitches try to force your utopia on people
instead of delivering a better solution.