Would you believe the Earth was a sphere if you saw it from space?

• 116 Replies

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
Re: Would you believe the Earth was a sphere if you saw it from space?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2019, 05:11:30 PM »
FE is a belief system.

EDIT: FE can't even settle on a model. Only thing they have in common is "it ain't a globe".
Global Earth is a forced belief system.
Yet it works far better FE can cough up.
It only works because magical notions have been attached to it to make it appear it works.
Any rational minded person who is bothered enough to see into the nonsense will eventually sit back and feel gutted that they were duped for all the time they believed it.

...and there it is!

The mega conspiracy that has duped billions of irrational humans for centuries!

..but not scepti, he's way too intelligent to fall for our games!
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2019, 05:18:05 PM »
Well that's their problem not ours.

You only have to imagine a microbe sitting on the surface of a snooker ball.  Perfectly round and spherical as we all know. But the microbe will only be able to see a tiny fraction of the surface of the ball. By proportion about the same tiny fraction of the Earths surface that we see directly. The amount of curvature apparent will be negligible. Hence to them (and us) the surface of the ball or Earth looks flat.

As flat Earthers are often claiming: ignorance of the truth is no excuse. Perhaps they should practice what they preach.
So let's not see nonsense like this, because it certainly does not help those who push this global spinning nonsense.

Before ignorantly ridiculing that photo please find out the lens used on the camera!
I suspect that you'll find it's a 180° fish-eye lens and it's really showing only part of the Globe!

A few minutes research would reveal this:
"A super wide angle photo of planet Earth seen through the new cupola observing station in the ISS. It was taken this past Friday. Credit: Soichi Noguchi/NASA"
It's showing a full circle or a full supposed globe and it's showing it from inside this supposed cupola.
And why shouldn't it show "a full circle . . . . . . from inside this supposed cupola"? But it is not a photo of the whole Globeĺ
The photo only shows a circle of about 2300 km about the point the ISS is over at the time.

This is a photo from the ISS taken on a more usual lens:

Quote from: sceptimatic
The picture is clear nonsense and is a massive error that's being explained b y the nonsense wide angled lens carry on.
Exactly why is it nonsense? It makes perfect sense. This is an exterior view of the copula though it usually faces the Earth:

Quote from: sceptimatic
There's no getting out of this. It's a mistake and cannot be undone.
There's no "mistake" about it and there's no need for it to be undone. Please learn a bit about photography before making a fool of yourself!

The photo is taken with a lens that, if pointing straight up on Earth, would take take a photo from horizon to horizon all 360° around the camera.
This sort of thing:

360 Degree Camera : Tamaggo ibi Wants You To See the World Like Never Before Through 360 Degree Panoramas

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2019, 05:20:16 PM »

It's more than a mistake. It's deliberately deceptive. It's disgusting
No, you are being deliberately deceptive. It's disgusting!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2019, 11:09:09 PM »
FE is a belief system.

EDIT: FE can't even settle on a model. Only thing they have in common is "it ain't a globe".
Global Earth is a forced belief system.
Yet it works far better FE can cough up.
It only works because magical notions have been attached to it to make it appear it works.
Any rational minded person who is bothered enough to see into the nonsense will eventually sit back and feel gutted that they were duped for all the time they believed it.

...and there it is!

The mega conspiracy that has duped billions of irrational humans for centuries!

..but not scepti, he's way too intelligent to fall for our games!
It's not only me that sees the silliness. Oh...and it doesn't need a person to be too intelligent (even though you said it tongue in cheek), it just requires a person to question why they follow narratives  and then pick apart some of them by mere logical thinking.

Most people believe in a spinning globe because they are conditioned to believe it, without any real physical evidence, only concepts/theories and blatant bullcrap, in my opinion.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2019, 11:16:44 PM »

The photo is taken with a lens that, if pointing straight up on Earth, would take take a photo from horizon to horizon all 360° around the camera.
This sort of thing:

360 Degree Camera : Tamaggo ibi Wants You To See the World Like Never Before Through 360 Degree Panoramas
You simply don't get it.
The microbe on the snooker ball.
There's no horizon to horizon directly looking down at earth with any camera to see earth and all around sky or earth and all round space like we are shown with that cupola pretence.

How you can then put up a picture looking up at the sky and to marry that up with what I'm talking about, is being deceptive.
Dishonest is the word.

Don't get me wrong. I'm under no illusions about your stance on making sure people don't get a free run at picking out the massive flaws that are made and know you and other are here to ensure they're covered up, whether you do it for money or simply do it because you're a global idoliser.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2019, 11:34:10 PM »
Well that's their problem not ours.

You only have to imagine a microbe sitting on the surface of a snooker ball.  Perfectly round and spherical as we all know. But the microbe will only be able to see a tiny fraction of the surface of the ball. By proportion about the same tiny fraction of the Earths surface that we see directly. The amount of curvature apparent will be negligible. Hence to them (and us) the surface of the ball or Earth looks flat.

As flat Earthers are often claiming: ignorance of the truth is no excuse. Perhaps they should practice what they preach.
So let's not see nonsense like this, because it certainly does not help those who push this global spinning nonsense.

Before ignorantly ridiculing that photo please find out the lens used on the camera!
I suspect that you'll find it's a 180° fish-eye lens and it's really showing only part of the Globe!

A few minutes research would reveal this:
"A super wide angle photo of planet Earth seen through the new cupola observing station in the ISS. It was taken this past Friday. Credit: Soichi Noguchi/NASA"
It's showing a full circle or a full supposed globe and it's showing it from inside this supposed cupola.
The picture is clear nonsense and is a massive error that's being explained b y the nonsense wide angled lens carry on.

It's more than a mistake. It's deliberately deceptive. It's disgusting

It's not intended to be either deceptive or disgusting. It's from ESO.org:

"An excerpt from "From Earth to the Universe" — the world’s first full-length fulldome planetarium movie freely available for planetarium use — shows a view of Earth from the cupola of the International Space Station (ISS) in 4k fulldome format."

Their fulldome format is for planetarium projections. You know those places where in high school on a field trip you'd get super baked in the parking lot outside of the Science Museum and then go into a darkened hall and stare at the domed ceiling star show with the voice of God narrating? They are fish-eye circular like that for the projection on the dome. Otherwise they would be projecting a rectangular image on the dome. Pretty simple, really.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2019, 12:22:44 AM »

This sort of thing:

You simply don't get it.
There's no horizon to horizon directly looking down at earth with any camera to see earth and all around sky or earth and all round space like we are shown with that cupola pretence.

How you can then put up a picture looking up at the sky and to marry that up with what I'm talking about, is being deceptive.
Dishonest is the word.
I'm NOT trying to "marry" anything, just explain what a lens like that does but you are so close minded and paranoid that you think that everybody is trying to deceive you!

But what do you mean by , "There's no horizon to horizon directly looking down at earth with any camera to see earth and all around"?
That is exactly what the photo from in the cupola did!

I know that it is highly distorted n but that's what those lense do unless corrected by an appropriate projection!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2019, 12:34:25 AM »

This sort of thing:

You simply don't get it.

Dishonest is the word.
I'm NOT trying to "marry" anything, just explain what a lens like that does but you are so close minded and paranoid that you think that everybody is trying to deceive you!

But what do you mean by , "There's no horizon to horizon directly looking down at earth with any camera to see earth and all around"?

I know that it is highly distorted n but that's what those lense do unless corrected by an appropriate projection!
Let's make this perfectly clear.
You cannot get a photo of something that is supposed to be far wider then the area being photographed and expect to get it all in to focus, no matter what camera you have and especially taken from inside .....INSIDE and back away from the windows to this supposed ISS cupola.

It doesn't matter how you try to dress it up, it's not happening.
You see a circle of supposed earth and so called space all around it.
The microbe on a snooker ball idea is key to why this wouldn't work outside of a supposed space cupola never mind set back inside one.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2019, 01:19:13 AM »

This sort of thing:

You simply don't get it.

Dishonest is the word.

You cannot get a photo of something that is supposed to be far wider then the area being photographed and expect to get it all in to focus, no matter what camera you have and especially taken from inside .....INSIDE and back away from the windows to this supposed ISS cupola.

It doesn't matter how you try to dress it up, it's not happening.
You see a circle of supposed earth and so called space all around it.
The microbe on a snooker ball idea is key to why this wouldn't work outside of a supposed space cupola never mind set back inside one.

You apparently don't know much about lenses, focal lengths, etc., well, photography in general.

And, again, read my previous post on the image. You're letting your predisposed bias get ahead of the facts.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2019, 01:27:03 AM »

You apparently don't know much about lenses, focal lengths, etc., well, photography in general.

And, again, read my previous post on the image. You're letting your predisposed bias get ahead of the facts.
You apparently don't know much about lenses, focal lengths, etc; well, photography in general if you think a camera can take a picture of the supposed diameter of the supposed global earth from the set back interior of some cupola, supposedly in space when also told about the actual microbe on a snooker ball thought process.
Instead you bring up a horizontal zoom in of a lens as if it covers what I'm showing.

Try again.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2019, 01:35:15 AM »

This sort of thing:

You simply don't get it.

Dishonest is the word.

Please learn about depth of field in photography. Stop pretending that you know everything and read, say this:
FISHEYE-LENSES LENSES
A fisheye lens, also known as an "ultra wide" or "super wide" lens, is a type of wide angle lens which can capture an extremely wide image, typically around 180 degrees. The images they produce are highly distorted, giving them a dynamic, abstract feel.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DEPTH OF FIELD

Because they capture such an extreme angle, fisheye lenses have a very large apparent depth of field. This means that your shots will appear sharply focused from front to back. This makes them ideal for capturing scenes with interesting subjects in the foreground and background.

On the other hand, this extreme depth of field makes it almost impossible to isolate your subject by throwing the background out of focus. This is something you need to be aware of when framing your shot, so that you can choose an uncluttered background.
There's much more in there including many examples.

None of this proves that the cupola photo is genuine, just that there is no reason it shouldn't look like that.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2019, 01:44:21 AM »
You apparently don't know much about lenses, focal lengths, etc; well, photography in general if you think a camera can take a picture of the supposed diameter of the supposed global earth from the set back interior of some cupola, supposedly in space when also told about the actual microbe on a snooker ball thought process.
Instead you bring up a horizontal zoom in of a lens as if it covers what I'm showing.

Try again.
No, that's you who "don't know much about lenses, focal lengths, etc; well, photography in general if you think a camera can take a picture of the supposed diameter of the supposed global earth from the set back interior of some cupola".

But why do you say "set back interior of some cupola"? The ISS cupola projects considerably from th bottom of the ISS.

You might be a "microbe on a snooker ball" but the ISS is about 200,000 times "taller" than you.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2019, 01:47:06 AM »

None of this proves that the cupola photo is genuine, just that there is no reason it shouldn't look like that.
Based on what we're told earth is, there's every reason it shouldn't look like that.
Any logical person should be able to see that this is impossible.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2019, 01:51:14 AM »

Try again.
No, that's you who "don't know much about lenses, focal lengths, etc; well, photography in general if you think a camera can take a picture of the supposed diameter of the supposed global earth from the set back interior of some cupola".

But why do you say "set back interior of some cupola"? The ISS cupola projects considerably from th bottom of the ISS.

You might be a "microbe on a snooker ball" but the ISS is about 200,000 times "taller" than you.
There's no getting out of it.
It was a massive error by those who set it up and now it's all down to sheer magical excuses as to why it looks like it does.

It's impossible if the earth is what we're told. Impossible and no getting away from it.
So basically it's one big load of nonsense.

Stash

• Ethical Stash
  • I am car!
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2019, 02:12:24 AM »

Based on what we're told earth is, there's every reason it shouldn't look like that.

Oh for goodness sakes, just simmer your conspiratorial jets down for one sec and get rational. It's an image from the EOS planetarium 'full dome' work they do, as mentioned before. It's meant to look like that. No conspiracy, no duping. Literally designed that way. I bet you think your toaster is conspirying against you.

rvlvr

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2019, 02:54:13 AM »
FE is again finding photography difficult?

But yes, it must be fake as it is more than 15 kilometers away.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 03:16:57 AM by rvlvr »

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2019, 04:08:37 AM »
To those people who say you 'believe' that the Earth is flat, I would say why?  What is your reasoning behind your belief?  As a globalist I would say my belief is based on my own observations of the sky - for example:

- The variation of the altitude of the pole star as you move from the NP to the equator.
- The variation in the angle at which the Sun, Moon, planets and stars rise in the east and set in the west. From horizontal at the poles to vertical at the equator. The direction  reverses either side of the equator. They move to the south for the northern hemisphere and the move to the north for the southern hemisphere.
- The correlation between the angle between the Sun and the Moon in the sky and the observed phase of the Moon matches exactly what you would expect if the Moon orbits the Earth. This also explains why a solar eclipse happens only at new Moon and a lunar eclipse only happens at full Moon. 
- The distribution of S and P earthquake wave patterns agree with what you would expect of a spherical Earth with a molten core.

I could mention more. Global Earth theory explains all these very easily and simply.  How does all that get explained if you make the Earth flat?  Foe me it has nothing to do with I think we are being lied to or whatever. I base my own beliefs on what I observe and not what anyone else tells me.

Flat Earth people believe that the Sun circles over the Earth centred on the NP and the radius of that circle varies to cause the seasons.  OK suppose it did. What causes it to circle over the Earth and what causes the variation in radius?  The only explanation I have had so far is that the 'mechanisms' involved are not fully understood.'  I would say don't make an assertion if you cannot explain it fully.

Consider looking out to sea on a clear, cloudless day.  You can see a sharp, distinct horizon.  You wouldn't see that if the Earth was flat. You would imply see an increasing amount of blurring of the sea as the distance from the observer carried on increasing along with light scatter in the atmosphere.  So a distinct horizon is evidence for me that the Earths surface is curved.

In the meantime I will let the rest of you carry on arguing about that photo taken from onboard the ISS.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:29:03 AM by Nucleosynthesis »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2019, 04:24:18 AM »

Oh for goodness sakes, just simmer your conspiratorial jets down for one sec and get rational. It's an image from the EOS planetarium 'full dome' work they do, as mentioned before. It's meant to look like that. No conspiracy, no duping. Literally designed that way. I bet you think your toaster is conspirying against you.

Of course it's an image. What do you think I've been arguing against?

You've just spent your time arguing for why it shows earth from the ISS and why the camera shows it all.
Now you're changing it to the planetarium carry on because you clearly know the earth/ISS is bull.

Nice try at trying to get out of it but it doesn't wash.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2019, 04:26:40 AM »

Of course it's a fake, when they said it was taken from the ISS cupola showing earth but they realised their mistake and now it's a pretence of it being a mock up all along.

By all means help to push it but it doesn't impress me. I know it's all fake for reasons I've given clearly.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2019, 04:39:01 AM »

Of course it's a fake, when they said it was taken from the ISS cupola showing earth but they realised their mistake and now it's a pretence of it being a mock up all along.

By all means help to push it but it doesn't impress me. I know it's all fake for reasons I've given clearly.
Please explain what is wrong with this:

That looks exactly as one would expect taken from that cupola with a horizon to horizon fisheye lens.

But it is not showing a very great area of the Globe (no more than 2300 km radius) and the edges are extremely distorted - that's what those lenses do!

You wouldn't be impressed if you were up there - you would still claim it's faked because it destroys your whole Worldview - well tough!

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2019, 06:59:44 AM »
That is the problem with flat earthers. They are in such a denial, there is no proof that would ever convince them. At worst, they will say you drugged them and changed their eyes with advanced cyber eyes....

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2019, 07:29:44 AM »
Agreed.  Flat earther begin with an assertion. The Earth is flat. Next they assert whatever is necessary to make whatever we experience and witness around us fit in with that first assertion. Re-inventing the laws of physics along the way in whatever way is necessary to suit their cause.  Any and all evidence that suggests they are wrong they say has been hoaxed, faked or whatever.

The flat earth movement often say they are in 'search for the truth'. Is that the truth as it actually is or the truth as you want it to be?

JackBlack

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »
To the OP, FEers clearly don't care about evidence or truth.
Their belief in a FE is a purely religious one not based upon any evidence or rational thought.
Most wouldn't believe Earth is roughly spherical even if they saw it from space. They would find some way to dismiss it.
Of those that did believe, they would then be outcast from the FE community and dismissed as a shill.

Of course it's a fake
Let's be honest.
The only reason you have for claiming it is fake is that it shows you are wrong.

You are unable to show a single problem with the image and instead just repeatedly attack a strawman.
It is not showing the diameter of the globe.
It is showing the region of Earth visible from the ISS using a wide angle lens.

Can you try showing why it is impossible, rather than just appealing to nonsense?

rvlvr

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2019, 01:01:09 PM »
I did not quite understand what the problem with the photo is. Is it something to do with the depth of field (which is large at those focal lengths)?

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »
I did not quite understand what the problem with the photo is. Is it something to do with the depth of field (which is large at those focal lengths)?
It seems to show a spherical Earth from space both of which completely destroy sceppy's powers of logical thought - like a red rag to a bull?

A conspiratard regards any explanations as further evidence of the conspiracy.

rvlvr

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2019, 10:10:00 PM »
Oh, I though there might have been something more to it. I should have known better.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2019, 01:01:18 AM »
Agreed.  Flat earther begin with an assertion. The Earth is flat. Next they assert whatever is necessary to make whatever we experience and witness around us fit in with that first assertion. Re-inventing the laws of physics along the way in whatever way is necessary to suit their cause.  Any and all evidence that suggests they are wrong they say has been hoaxed, faked or whatever.

The flat earth movement often say they are in 'search for the truth'. Is that the truth as it actually is or the truth as you want it to be?
There is no evidence to say they are wrong.
There is no evidence to say what you follow, is right.

There's circumstantial evidence for all sides but not a lot of closer proof.

You mention re-inventing the laws of physics.
What are the laws of physics?
 What are these laws that supposedly show and speak a truth for what you abide by?

You're reliant, or made to be reliant on names of yesteryear/century as if those people knew all the answers and today we simply follow them because they got it supposedly right, even though they had little to go on.

There's a lot of physical reality out there that shows the world to be much different to the one we're told/bullied into accepting.
The problem is, those at the top have all the ready made answers at hand, no matter how magical those answers are...and people simply accept them because they're told and sold to them by people with conjured scientific badges on the theory/hypotheses/musings or fairy tales of whatever is thrown out.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2019, 01:05:01 AM »
The problem is simple.

The picture I showed is supposedly earth taken from the so called ISS in space and it's taken from a point further back from the windows, so your wide angled lens cannot simply operate without distortion and, it cannot simply go to the edge of the windows to have a full on view of the entire earth diameter that we clearly see.

The picture is real...what it depicts, is nonsense.
No need to argue this because I absolutely will not bow down to anything you say.

rvlvr

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2019, 01:08:29 AM »
I have two fisheye lenses. I can’t quite see the issue with the photo.

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2019, 01:11:13 AM »
So I guess FE believers would equally dismiss this video as being fake as well then?  Shows uncut one complete orbit of the ISS.

The picture is real...what it depicts, is nonsense.

Nonsense for no other reason than it shows something you don't want to accept, but don't have any clear evidence to support your case.  Standard response of flat Earth...if you cannot provide firm evidence to support your belief you just dismiss it.  It doesn't really matter whether you are willing to bow down or not... reality is reality.  Earth is spherical so just deal with it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 01:24:49 AM by Nucleosynthesis »