Would you believe the Earth was a sphere if you saw it from space?

• 116 Replies

rvlvr

Re: Would you believe the Earth was a sphere if you saw it from space?
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2019, 06:50:32 AM »
Had to destroy a perfectly good can of Coke. Hope you are happy.

Did you find a lens already?

Oh, and my lens and camera yield a horizontal angle of view of 94.5° compared to NASA’s 132° (when comparing full frame fisheyes.) So not exactly comparable.

The setup from the front:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:07:42 AM by rvlvr »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2019, 07:18:04 AM »
Had to destroy a perfectly good can of Coke. Hope you are happy.

Did you find a lens already?

Oh, and my lens and camera yield a horizontal angle of view of 94.5° compared to NASA’s 132° (When comparing full frame fisheyes.) So not exactly comparable.
This proves my point.
You cannot see the room around that table other than using the glint off the inside of the coke can, which is another sneaky attempt.
The inside of the so called ISS cupola is dark.
The so called outside is so called earth sit up with so called dark band of space around it.

Your coke can does not in any way replicate it but it does show what I'm on about in enough detail to prove the earth picture is clear nonsense in terms of what we're supposed to accept it being.

I'm sure you can see this...and if not you need to do the experiment I asked you to do.

rvlvr

« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2019, 07:24:30 AM »
Of course! And a cylinder is a cupola. And no matter the angle of view.

I guess it is best you post a YouTube video of something here.

The first pic shows the whole fruit and it’s surroundings even though the angle of view is not especially large. The circular image is framed to show the cupola and Earth. Not sure what there is to misunderstand, yet you seemed to find a way. Kudos, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 07:33:03 AM by rvlvr »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2019, 07:41:15 AM »
Of course! And a cylinder is a cupola. And no matter the angle of view.

I guess it is best you post a YouTube video of something here.

The first pic shows the whole fruit and it’s surroundings even though the angle of view is not especially large. The circular image is framed to show the cupola and Earth. Not sure what there is to misunderstand, yet you seemed to find a way. Kudos, I guess.
If you can't see what the issue is then either you're refusing to see it or you simply don't understand the image I posted.

rvlvr

« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2019, 07:48:07 AM »
Ever used a fisheye lens? Take a few pics. Of some round fruit, for example. You can bring it pretty close before you see nothing else.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2019, 07:54:02 AM »
Ever used a fisheye lens? Take a few pics. Of some round fruit, for example. You can bring it pretty close before you see nothing else.
Bringing it pretty close is not the issue.

The issue is the experiment I asked you to perform.
You tried it with a coke can and that proved my point.
You simply do not see anything other than the table.

Except what reflects off the shiny inside of the can.

rvlvr

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2019, 08:02:14 AM »
You can see the can quite well, can’t you? True, it is technically a crap photo, but it quite clear one can see the inside of the can there.

And you could have admitted to not ever using a fisheye lens, maybe even a camera. Dutchy was like you it came to photography. No idea how any of it works, but dammit if it ain’t all fake!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:04:17 AM by rvlvr »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2019, 08:07:31 AM »
You can see the can quite well, can’t you? True, it is technically a crap photo, but it quite clear one can see the inside of the can there.
Course you can see the inside of the can but that's not the issue.
Seriously have you lost what the issue is?

You can see inside the cupola....the one I put up.

The issue is what's outside of it, what shouldn't be......which is a earth diameter within the entire window and then space around that earth, as what we're supposed to belie is a real earth and ISS and space.

So.......so.....if you can see inside your can and then just see a table at that small size, with nothing around the rim of it, then you should not be seeing a massive earth diameter and a space rim around that from inside a cupola.

Pretty simple.

rvlvr

« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »

I do not see much space around Earth there. It is pretty tightly framed. Cupola, a sliver of space, and Earth.

I really am at a loss as to what it is that bothers you so much. Could it be because you do not know much about the subject?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:13:20 AM by rvlvr »

rvlvr

« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2019, 08:22:49 AM »
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:56:17 AM by rvlvr »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2019, 10:40:42 AM »

I do not see much space around Earth there. It is pretty tightly framed. Cupola, a sliver of space, and Earth.

I really am at a loss as to what it is that bothers you so much. Could it be because you do not know much about the subject?
The fact they have the entire earth diameter in the cupola frame and then some space as we are told it is, is silly. It's a massive mistake when you consider what we are told about the distance and the fact they tell us it's akin to being half an inch from a beach ball looking back at it, not to mention the camera sat back inside the cupola effigy.

I think it's you that doesn't understand it bearing in mind the amount of photo's you're trying to show me that don;t prove any point you make but prove mine.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2019, 10:41:18 AM »

rvlvr

« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »
To me it seems you are not able to grasp (super) wide angle lenses.

https://www.opticallimits.com/m43/1062-laowa4f28fish

210° angle of view. He has the lens and camera on his belly, and we can see his legs and face.

The one most likely used in the photos is 180°, like has been mentioned here. You should have no problem after you’ve wrapped your head around that.  As a comparison your eyes produce a binocular field of view of 114°.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:40:14 PM by rvlvr »

« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2019, 01:03:09 PM »
Would it sound better and LESS pretentious if I was to say absolutely everywhere to all and sundry
Professor Shifter AM, BA(Hons) PhD(UNSW), GradDipEd(Sec)(ACU), MA(Macq), FACE
Again, just who are you talking about?
I don't know any that do that.
Even the more well known ones at most just append Dr or Professor, but will still often just go by their name.

So you are saying that if you dont spend perhaps hundreds of thousands in university education then you are a product of 'poor education'?
No, I am saying with your deep seeded resentment of science you clearly have had a very poor education which has left you quite bitter.

Then show a little less bias towards the global and try and see differing points.
The vast majority of REers here are willing to see differing points, but that doesn't mean accepting them when there is nothing to support them.
Perhaps you should follow your own advice and stop being so biased against the RE and try and see differing points?

Any distance but mainly the immediate clear verifiable bath to swimming pool
i.e. distances far too small to observe any curvature due to the curvature of Earth?

plus a lake, etc.
Where you can then observe water obstructing the view to distant objects which are above the water, while you are also above the water, clearly showing that it curves.

Ohh...and if you want to make out that the water curves over distance then you need to prove it with better evidence than using ships going over a curve or whatever.
You mean like with photos from space, clearly showing the curve?
You are the one claiming they show Earth is flat, so the burden is on you.

I'd know if the earth was curving by the joints in the bricks getting tighter at the bottom and wider at the top.
No you wouldn't.
If you followed the curve of Earth perfectly, do you know just how different the joints would be?

Assuming you have bricks that are 1 m long, with the bottom just touching (far longer than normal bricks), and assuming it is some 10 m high, then the gap at the top of the brick would be less than 2 microns.
You would not be able to see that.
Bricks vary by more than that.

In order to have the gap at the top to grow to half a m you would need it to be over 3 km high.
For the most part, we simply do not have anything with the required tolerances to see the curvature as some change in gap like that.

You don't see it, because you shouldn't, because Earth isn't a tiny ball you can fit in your hand. Instead it is massive, being over 10 000 km in diameter.

See this is the kind of nonsense that makes people not take FE seriously.
You make claims which would appeal to an idiot, but when you actually do the maths show you wouldn't expect any difference between what you observe in reality and a RE.

If all you have is childish crap like this, then you have nothing.

If you were at the window of this cupola, camera to window glass and looking at the supposed earth you would distort the view for starters if you claim wide angle/fish eye lense view.
The camera is not at the glass. It is back from the glass of the cupula while still being in or at the edge of it, hence why you can see the windows at the side.
More importantly IT IS DISTORTED!

The only one who seems to be claiming there is no distortion is you.
If this was the case and this was the cupola looking at the supposed globe earth for the size we're told, then this cupola would show earth as blue and cloud and land , etc. It would absolutely not show a full diameter of it with black space around the ball diameter from that supposed distance, given what we're told.
Again, the only one pretending it is doing that IS YOU!
It is showing the portion that is visible from the ISS.
No one is claiming it is showing the full diameter of Earth, except you.

Again, you are attacking strawmen.

Get a large  round table and stand directly above it on the centre. Now hold a cake baking tin (round) with removable bottom so you now have a shallow cylinder open at both ends.
Place this 1 foot above the table, in the centre and put your camera lens just slightly inside this cake tin aimed at the centre of the table.
That is not what the cupola is, as already shown.
The cupola has windows to the sides.
Do you understand that?
Those windows around the central one are not flat and in the same plane as the central one. Instead they are at quite an angle.

So what you are asking for is in no way representative of what is actually on the ISS. So yet again, it is a pathetic strawman.
So still no issue with the photo, just issues with your strawmen.

If you can't see what the issue is then either you're refusing to see it or you simply don't understand the image I posted.
Or, there is no actual issue and you are just attacking the picture because it shows you are wrong.

The issue is the experiment I asked you to perform.
You tried it with a coke can and that proved my point.
You simply do not see anything other than the table.
An experiment which doesn't reflect the photo at hand.
And no, you still see an area around the table.

Now how about you stop with the strawmen and try an experiment yourself.

Here is an image (rendering, not photo) of the actual cupola:

And a picture, with covers on the windows:

Notice how it isn't just a window on the end of a cylinder?

So go get something like that, a nice wide angle lens and take a photo of a ball from up close.

Crutchwater

• Stop Indoctrinating me!
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2019, 01:05:39 PM »
FE is a belief system.

EDIT: FE can't even settle on a model. Only thing they have in common is "it ain't a globe".
Global Earth is a forced belief system.
Yet it works far better FE can cough up.
It only works because magical notions have been attached to it to make it appear it works.
Any rational minded person who is bothered enough to see into the nonsense will eventually sit back and feel gutted that they were duped for all the time they believed it.

...and there it is!

The mega conspiracy that has duped billions of irrational humans for centuries!

..but not scepti, he's way too intelligent to fall for our games!
It's not only me that sees the silliness. Oh...and it doesn't need a person to be too intelligent (even though you said it tongue in cheek), it just requires a person to question why they follow narratives  and then pick apart some of them by mere logical thinking.

Most people believe in a spinning globe because they are conditioned to believe it, without any real physical evidence, only concepts/theories and blatant bullcrap, in my opinion.

You say "most people believe in a spinning globe because they are conditioned to believe it".

Define "most people". That indicates there are a number who have direct physical evidence.

I would say there are many who have such evidence.

Where's your evidence that the Earth is not a spinning globe?
I will always be Here To Laugh At You.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2019, 02:14:34 PM »
The fact they have the entire earth diameter in the cupola frame and then some space as we are told it is, is silly.
It is not the "entire earth diameter in the cupola frame" but only the part visible from the altitude of the ISS.

The cupola in hanging below the ISS and so can cover from horizon to horizon. This video pans all 360° around the horizon.
If a camera with a fisheye lens with greater than 180° angle of view (some can "see" 210° ) were looking straight down all that could be seen in one photo even from that low altitude.

Quote from: sceptimatic link
It's a massive mistake when you consider what we are told about the distance and the fact they tell us it's akin to being half an inch from a beach ball looking back at it, not to mention the camera sat back inside the cupola effigy.
The camera is NOT set back inside the cupola! It is roughly level with the centre of the windows on the side of the cupola.

I just cannot understand why you can't grasp this simple concept.

There is no mistake about it but it does even pretend to show the full diameter of the Earth.

Shifter

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2019, 02:43:09 PM »
Would it sound better and LESS pretentious if I was to say absolutely everywhere to all and sundry
Professor Shifter AM, BA(Hons) PhD(UNSW), GradDipEd(Sec)(ACU), MA(Macq), FACE
Again, just who are you talking about?
I don't know any that do that.
Even the more well known ones at most just append Dr or Professor, but will still often just go by their name.

So you are saying that if you dont spend perhaps hundreds of thousands in university education then you are a product of 'poor education'?
No, I am saying with your deep seeded resentment of science you clearly have had a very poor education which has left you quite bitter.

Wrong again bozo. I love science. I just don't love jerks. Like you. (and maybe rab)  8)
RIP rabinoz. Forum legend

Stash

« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2019, 03:06:08 PM »

The fact they have the entire earth diameter in the cupola frame and then some space as we are told it is, is silly. It's a massive mistake when you consider what we are told about the distance and the fact they tell us it's akin to being half an inch from a beach ball looking back at it, not to mention the camera sat back inside the cupola effigy.

I think it's you that doesn't understand it bearing in mind the amount of photo's you're trying to show me that don;t prove any point you make but prove mine.

It's not the entire earth diameter. You really don't know anything about photography and lenses...

ISS Timelapse - A Fisheye inside the Cupola (02/08 Agosto 2017)

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2019, 04:54:46 PM »
I have two fisheye lenses. I can’t quite see the issue with the photo.
Of course you can't. Why would you?
To see an issue would be to see an issue and understand it's nonsense, which you're not here to do.
I'd say I know more about photography than you as I do not see a problem. But I can be wrong, so I'd appreciate it you could elaborate.
I don't need to elaborate really...but.

If you were at the window of this cupola, camera to window glass and looking at the supposed earth you would distort the view for starters if you claim wide angle/fish eye lense view.
Just get the message loud and clear. That picture is exactly what anyone with a trace of knowledge about extremely wiDE angle fish-eye lenses would expect.

The lens is not against the glass but in about the middle of the cupola where there is a view out for all of the windows.

Either you know nothing about these lenses or are being purposely obtuse - which is it?

Here is a 210° fish-eye lens that could be used to take a photo like that.

I'm not trying to convince you the photos are genuine just that they are what you would expect from that sort of lens.

The image is highly distorted but there are display program that can convert that into a view that can be panned around.

<< I left the picture of the lens out ::)! >>
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:01:07 PM by rabinoz »

rvlvr

« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2019, 09:44:24 PM »
This whole thing has left me flabbergasted. I thought sceptimatic had some odd technical issue with the photo. But no, it was just another example of denial stemming from complete lack of even rudimentary knowledge of the subject matter. Somewhat shocked still.

Oh, and scepti! The 210˚ Laowa lens costs 199 dollars, and ones with 180˚ are less, I am pretty sure. Should be within the grasp of even a flat Earther. If you want to reproduce ISS shots.

« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2019, 09:51:26 PM »
This whole thing has left me flabbergasted. I thought sceptimatic had some odd technical issue with the photo. But no, it was just another example of denial stemming from complete lack of even rudimentary knowledge of the subject matter. Somewhat shocked still.

Oh, and scepti! The 210˚ Laowa lens costs 199 dollars, and ones with 180˚ are less, I am pretty sure. Should be within the grasp of even a flat Earther. If you want to reproduce ISS shots.

This is the guy who contests all industrial revolution.

rvlvr

« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2019, 10:56:56 PM »
Yeah, well. As we know all the ancient peoples had eerie powers and science yet undreamed of. Or something.

But as said, all that only makes the case for RE stronger, in my opinion. No matter the Sun is, what, ten klicks away.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:32:04 PM by rvlvr »

wise

• Professor
  • Flat Earth Scientist
  • The Most Forum Legend
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2019, 11:16:46 PM »
Pretty simple question. If you (a flat earth believer) jumped into a rocket and went to the ISS. Would you believe the Earth was a sphere if you saw a sphere from the ISS?

This is a question of what would you call your aunt if she had beards. I would called her as uncle.

this workplace is on strike

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2019, 12:47:52 AM »

Shifter

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2019, 12:53:39 AM »
<< Off topic  deleted. >>

If only someone could delete you.

Also, wise is on point. The premise of the question is false.

"Pretty simple question. If you (a flat earth believer) jumped into a rocket and went to the ISS. Would you believe the Earth was a sphere if you saw a sphere from the ISS?"

1) Rockets dont just ferry people go to the ISS for sightseeing.
2) From the viewpoint of the alleged ISS, it would still be too low to view the Earth as a 'sphere' from its vantage point.

So take your bullying and pointless posts elsewhere rab. The only off topic nonsense comes from you
RIP rabinoz. Forum legend

rvlvr

« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2019, 04:03:51 AM »
I guess you could go further than the ISS to get a better picture. Moon, for example.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2019, 05:39:45 PM »
<< Off topic  deleted. >>

If only someone could delete you.
You never could face the truth!

Quote from: Shifter
Also, wise is on point. The premise of the question is false.
No it is not! A hypothetical question, " If you (a flat earth believer) jumped into a rocket and went to the ISS. . . " was asked.
How can that be a false premise?

Quote from: Shifter
So take your bullying and pointless posts elsewhere rab. The only off topic nonsense comes from you
Where have I made a pointless post? Certainly not in this thread!

Franix asked a simple question that surely warranted a rational answer an look what wise posted!
Pretty simple question. If you (a flat earth believer) jumped into a rocket and went to the ISS. Would you believe the Earth was a sphere if you saw a sphere from the ISS?

This is a question of what would you call your aunt if she had beards. I would called her as uncle.
And you claim that that is a rational answer?

But I guess you have to do your master's bidding as usual.