The earth rotation

• 101 Replies
The earth rotation
« on: November 11, 2019, 01:53:36 AM »
Hello I'm new here and there is something I don't understand at all. Why do we have to demonstrate that the earth isn't rotating. I'm not saying it does ! But, if it does, is there any contradiction with our  theory ?

Re: The earth rotation
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 03:27:07 AM »
Hello I'm new here and there is something I don't understand at all. Why do we have to demonstrate that the earth isn't rotating. I'm not saying it does ! But, if it does, is there any contradiction with our  theory ?
It comes down to how the rotation is and what effects it would have.

One of the big arguments presented in favour of a FE is that Earth can't be rotating as you would feel it.
If a FE was rotating you would feel it even more. That is because it would be sideways, not up and down.
It would mean all the water on Earth would pool at the edges.
To avoid this you would need Earth to be shaped like a bowl, specifically a parabola.
This means not only is Earth curved, the curvature would vary with location.
The edges of Earth (at 20 000 km) would be turned up by roughly 0.6 degrees.

It would make it even harder to explain things like why objects disappear from the bottom up, and why the southern hemisphere can't see Polaris.

It would also relate back to the Coriolis effect. If Earth rotated then that should be expected. However the big difference between this rotating FE and the RE is that the rotation would be the same everywhere as the surface is basically flat.
This means things like Focault's pendula should record the same rate of rotation everywhere, and that weather systems should turn the same way in the north and south.
But that contradicts so many observations.

In order to have rotating help the model, you need to have the north rotate in one direction and the south rotate in the other. But for a FE that would mean the sun would rise in the east in the north and the west in the south.

So rotating doesn't help FE models match reality, so it is easier to simply deny it rather than accept it and have the evidence which supports it support a RE due to how the effect of rotation varies.

P.S. FE doesn't have a theory. It has an idea with many different contradictory models.
E.g. some people say the north pole is at the centre, some say the south pole, some say the equator, some say it is infinite and has no centre.

sandokhan

• Flat Earth Sultan
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 03:52:48 AM »
There are three aspects of the rotation question.

FET must address these issues:

1. Rotation of the Earth (axial rotation)

2. Rotation of the Earth around the Sun (orbital motion)

3. Precession

The most difficult one is the third, the precession, since it requires the proof that ancient history was entirely forged (from Hipparchus to Kepler).

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 04:32:59 AM »
There are three aspects of the rotation question.

FET must address these issues:

1. Rotation of the Earth (axial rotation)

2. Rotation of the Earth around the Sun (orbital motion)

3. Precession

The most difficult one is the third, the precession, since it requires the proof that ancient history was entirely forged (from Hipparchus to Kepler).
But would any sensible person claim "that ancient history was entirely forged (from Hipparchus to Kepler)"?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 07:27:32 AM »
Or, maybe the ancients didn't understand the true nature of the earth as well as they thought they did.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

sandokhan

• Flat Earth Sultan
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 07:45:20 AM »
That would be an understatement.

Here is the mighty moon elongation D" parameter paradox, one of the most devastating proofs against the accepted chronology of history:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=30499.msg1927373#msg1927373

mak3m

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 08:39:41 AM »

Here is the mighty moon elongation D" parameter paradox, one of the most devastating proofs against the accepted chronology of history:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=30499.msg1927373#msg1927373

Mighty, but not subject of any recognised paper.

Can you provide a reliable link?

Robert R Newton questioned the validity of historical observations, not history itself.
You have to learn to reply without quoting a long previous answer.

sandokhan

• Flat Earth Sultan
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 09:02:47 AM »
Dr. Robert Newton, Two Uses of Ancient Astronomy:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120531060430/http://www.pereplet.ru/gorm/atext/newton2.htm

Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Land. A. 276, 99-110 (1974)

Dr. Robert Newton, Astronomical Evidence Concerning Non-Gravitational Forces in the Earth-Moon System:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120531054411/http://www.pereplet.ru/gorm/atext/newton1.htm

Astrophysics and Space Science 16 (1972) 179-200

Here is another amazing contradiction of the conventional chronology of history.

"When the Emperor was waging war in Syria, at the winter solstice there was an eclipse of the Sun such as has never happened apart from that which was brought on the Earth at the Passion of our Lord on account of the folly of the Jews. . . The eclipse was such a spectacle. It occurred on the 22nd day of December, at the 4th hour of the day, the air being calm. Darkness fell upon the Earth and all the brighter stars revealed themselves. Everyone could see the disc of the Sun without brightness, deprived of light, and a certain dull and feeble glow, like a narrow headband, shining round the extreme parts of the edge of the disc. However, the Sun gradually going past the Moon (for this appeared covering it directly) sent out its original rays, and light filled the Earth again."

Refers to a total solar eclipse in Constantinople of 22 December AD 968.

http://www.mreclipse.com/Special/quotes2.html

However, the winter solstice in the year 968 MUST HAVE FALLEN on December 16, given the 10 day correction instituted by Gregory XIII, as we are told (a very simple calculation - 11 minutes in the length of a solar year amount to a full day for each 134 years), according to the official chronology.

mak3m

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 09:43:01 AM »
Nope they are not the references

Among the other experts in celestial mechanics who attacked this problem was Robert Newton from Johns Hopkins University. In 1979, he published the first volume of a book that considered the issue by looking at historical solar eclipses. Five years later, he came up with a second volume, which approached the problem from the point of view of lunar observations. His conclusion was that the behavior of D'' could be explained only by factoring in some unknown forces.

That was your statement which then follows a paste of some body else??

Newton had issues with historians not chronological history

sandokhan

• Flat Earth Sultan
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 09:52:49 AM »

The concern is with the acceleration, D'', of the moon's elongation, which is the angle between the moon and the sun as viewed from Earth. This acceleration D'' is computable from observations, and its past behavior can be determined from records of eclipses. Its values vary between -18 and +2 seconds of arc per century squared. Also, D'' is slightly above zero and almost constant from about 700 BC to AD 500, but it drops significantly for the next five centuries, to settle at around -18 after AD 1000. Unfortunately this variation cannot be explained from gravitation, which requires the graph to be a horizontal line.

You now have three possibilities:

1. There are unknown forces

2. The laws of physics have changed since the past millenium

3. Traditional chronology is wrong

Each and every astronomical observation for the period 500 AD - 1200 AD researched by Dr. Newton was faked/forged; this is the reason for the unimaginable discrepancies.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:56:24 AM by sandokhan »

mak3m

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 09:58:21 AM »

The concern is with the acceleration, D'', of the moon's elongation, which is the angle between the moon and the sun as viewed from Earth. This acceleration D'' is computable from observations, and its past behavior can be determined from records of eclipses. Its values vary between -18 and +2 seconds of arc per century squared. Also, D'' is slightly above zero and almost constant from about 700 BC to AD 500, but it drops significantly for the next five centuries, to settle at around -18 after AD 1000. Unfortunately this variation cannot be explained from gravitation, which requires the graph to be a horizontal line.

You now have three possibilities:

1. There are unknown forces

2. The laws of physics have changed since the past millenium

3. Traditional chronology is wrong

Each and every astronomical observation for the period 500 AD - 1200 AD researched by Dr. Newton was faked/forged; this is the reason for the unimaginable discrepancies.

That diagram is not from Newton, cite your sources

third time Newton had an issue with historians not history.

But congratulations for once again moving the conversation away from the OP

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 10:28:15 AM »
However, the winter solstice in the year 968 MUST HAVE FALLEN on December 16, given the 10 day correction instituted by Gregory XIII, as we are told (a very simple calculation - 11 minutes in the length of a solar year amount to a full day for each 134 years), according to the official chronology.
Since the Gregorian calendar wasn't introduced until 1582 (over 600 years after said battle), then the winter solstice could well have occurred on December 16 of the old calendar and corrected to December 22 on the Gregorian calendar.  I don't see a problem, except for maybe some trouble keeping track of which calendar was being used when.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 06:36:44 PM »

and this history?
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=14.msg22#msg22
Is how we have arrived to our current state of affairs.
"since there is an enormous abundance of evidence that the Earth is, to a high approximation, spherical, rotates, and revolves around the sun."
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 04:45:18 PM »
Since the Gregorian calendar wasn't introduced until 1582 (over 600 years after said battle), then the winter solstice could well have occurred on December 16 of the old calendar and corrected to December 22 on the Gregorian calendar.  I don't see a problem, except for maybe some trouble keeping track of which calendar was being used when.
And the introduction of the Gregorian calendar was spread over centuries:

Change From Julian to Gregorian Calendar

Sandokhan is possibly well aware of it but others have been confused by impossible sunsets etc.

The earth rotation
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 11:25:55 AM »
Hi.
There is  right question - is the Earth spinning?
I`m still sure the Earth is globe. But.. few times ago youtube offered to me some video. "Hiroscope. Still Earth". I was thinked: What the fuck? I was thinked: What the f :-X :-Xk? How it can be? I`m sure - Erath is spinnig!!!
 This is the video " class="bbc_link" target="_blank">
Wright now we can see a real proff of STILL Earth in experiment.

I think it`s some trick or mistake. And continued to search any experiments with hyro like this one. Totaly 3 people made this experiment with hyro to examine Eearth spinning.

May by all of them are crazy? Now i`m try to find any proof of spininng Earth by the hyro. And... - thtere are nothing!

And now i`m starting to build own simple hiro to get an answer: Do the Earth is spinning or not?

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 01:14:55 PM »
I think it`s some trick or mistake. And continued to search any experiments with hyro like this one. Totaly 3 people made this experiment with hyro to examine Eearth spinning.
The problem with any experiment like this, is that the rotation of Earth is very slow.
A small amount of friction is often enough to drag the gyroscope along with Earth. This is especially true if the rotation needs to occur over multiple axes.
Another issue is that it requires the gyro to be balanced, such that it will not drift by itself, and free from disturbances which would otherwise cause it to drift.

The first thing anyone should do when attempting an experiment like this is first determine the limit of detection of the instrument and method, or at the very least confirm that the rotation of Earth is above that limit.

A simple way to do this would be with an equatorial mount telescope or the like, where you rotate the setup as if Earth was rotating, both in the direction of Earth's rotation and against it.
Assuming your setup is sensitive enough, then if Earth is not rotating, you should get the same result in both directions, if Earth is rotating, you will get different results.

If your setup is not sensitive enough, then it wont detect the rotation you have induced.

Another important point is that it is a slow process. Try watching the hour hand on a clock and see if you can see it move, and then note that Earth rotates roughly half as fast, and depending on the gyro and your latitude, you may only be observing a portion of that.

The best videos would be a timelapse, without someone repeatedly resetting it.
In fact, if you watch that video you linked carefully, the gyro is rotating, but the guy keeps moving it so you can't easily tell.
It also doesn't appear to be balanced as the direction it rotates changes.
e.g.:

So it definitely isn't show Earth to be stationary. Instead it is showing the gyro is drifting.

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 02:32:27 PM »

The first thing anyone should do when attempting an experiment like this is first determine the limit of detection of the instrument and method, or at the very least confirm that the rotation of Earth is above that limit.

A simple way to do this would be with an equatorial mount telescope or the like, where you rotate the setup as if Earth was rotating, both in the direction of Earth's rotation and against it.
Assuming your setup is sensitive enough, then if Earth is not rotating, you should get the same result in both directions, if Earth is rotating, you will get different results.
   You are absolutely right! For getting more accurate result we need 'ideal gyro' and use ideal bearing in gimbal. I know all this problems because I`m an engineer.  But as we know from a history first using gyrocompass as part of navigating system is about 100 years ago.
   Thanks for some ideas like testing sensitivity. I suppose that I don`t need hi accurate of gyro because no need a navigation.
   By the way in video from 0:00:00 to 2:03:00 gyro have constant direction. It is worth noting that axis of giro in this case was horizontal.  After that author turn axis to some angle and gyro start procession moving. I think this moving is able in case mass center of gyro is not in across gimbal axes.
   It`s very fun - nobody want to chek earth rotation with gyro. 

Macarios

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 12:30:51 AM »
Hi.
There is  right question - is the Earth spinning?
I`m still sure the Earth is globe. But.. few times ago youtube offered to me some video. "Hiroscope. Still Earth". I was thinked: What the fuck? I was thinked: What the f :-X :-Xk? How it can be? I`m sure - Erath is spinnig!!!
 This is the video " class="bbc_link" target="_blank">

May by all of them are crazy? Now i`m try to find any proof of spininng Earth by the hyro. And... - thtere are nothing!

And now i`m starting to build own simple hiro to get an answer: Do the Earth is spinning or not?

Still Earth?
LOL

Watch from around 2:47:00 till the end (3:20:00 or so). Or mouse-over the play bar and look at the thumbnail. :)
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 03:34:11 PM »

Still Earth?
LOL

Watch from around 2:47:00 till the end (3:20:00 or so). Or mouse-over the play bar and look at the thumbnail. :)
[/quote]
Ok. What do You think about all time before 2:47:00? All this time the axis keeping horizontal direction. And it`s azimuth was 90. In time about 3 hours axis of gyro must by change it angle to horizontal about 45 degrees, isn`t it?
 So... how do You eplain this?

From 2:47:00 gyro have precession by the unbalanced gimbal. Author demonstrate this unbalance at the begining.

Macarios

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 09:44:00 PM »
From 2:47:00 gyro have precession by the unbalanced gimbal. Author demonstrate this unbalance at the begining.

So, the unbalance sometimes exists and sometimes doesn't?

BTW, if the gyro axis and the Earth axis are parallel you can wait all day and gyro won't drift, except by the said unbalance. :)
I don't have to fight about anything.
These things are not about me.
When one points facts out, they speak for themselves.
The main goal in all that is simplicity.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 12:40:05 AM »

Still Earth?
LOL

Ok. What do You think about all time before 2:47:00? All this time the axis keeping horizontal direction. And it`s azimuth was 90. In time about 3 hours axis of gyro must by change it angle to horizontal about 45 degrees, isn`t it?
 So... how do You eplain this?
[/quote]
How did you prove that the gimbal bearing friction was low enough to show movement.

Quote from: dukovit
Bob Knodell procured a "highly precise" ring laser gyroscope to "prove once and for all" that the earth is stationary.
Look what he found:

Flat Earth Ring Laser Gyroscope Test by TheYobbo71

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »
Bob Knodell procured a "highly precise" ring laser gyroscope to "prove once and for all" that the earth is stationary.
Look what he found:

Flat Earth Ring Laser Gyroscope Test by TheYobbo71[/b]

Look what I found: https://wiki.tfes.org/Ring_Laser_Gyroscope

The Ring Laser Gyroscope is an inconsistent experiment, based on statistics and unknown effects, and therefore invalid as demonstration of any particular phenomena.

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 03:04:55 PM »
Look what he found:

The Ring Laser Gyroscope is an inconsistent experiment, based on statistics and unknown effects, and therefore invalid as demonstration of any particular phenomena.
You're biased reference has been noted.
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 04:48:29 PM »
Look what he found:

And look who wrote what you found:
• 00:10, 15 January 2020‎ Tom Bishop talk contribs‎  8,867 bytes
• 00:10, 15 January 2020‎ Tom Bishop talk contribs‎  8,866 bytes
• 23:07, 14 January 2020‎ Tom Bishop talk contribs‎  7,982 bytes
Quote from: Tom Bishop
So you say but let's see what other sources say, shall we?

Modern ones are not "an inconsistent experiment"! For example read
Quote from: J Belfi1, N Beverini1,2,
Analysis of 90 days operation of the gyroscope, GINGERINO
1 Introduction
Ring Laser Gyroscopes (RLG) are, at present, the most precise sensors of absolute angular velocity for an Earth based apparatus. They are based on the Sagnac effect arising from a rigidly rotating ring laser cavity. They are essential in estimating rotation rates relative
to the local inertial frame in many contexts ranging from inertial guidance to angular metrology, from geodesy to geophysics. The Gross Ring “G”at the Wettzell Geodetic Observatory has obtained a resolution on the Earth rotation rate of about 15 × 10−14 rad/s with 4 hours of integration time (3 × 10−9 in relative units).

That paper did not give the rotation rate, just the stability etc.
But this paper does Ring-Lasers seismic rotational sensing, Angela Di Virgilio-INFN-Pisa and the result is:
Quote from: Angela Di Virgilio
Earth Rot. Rate (7.2921150±0.0000001)×10−5 radians/sec
which is a period of 23.93447 hours and the currently quoted sidereal day is 23.9345 hours.

The GINGERino deep underground ring-laser shows that the earth rotates on its axis at (7.2921150±0.0000001)×10−5 radians/sec.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
I got this from the GINGERRINO document:

It doesn't look like the data is naturally stable to me. We can presume that there were not constant earthquakes for all 95 days.

It looks like they are applying algorithms to the noisy raw data.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:58:04 PM by Tom Bishop »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2020, 06:04:31 PM »
Raw data from the second document, in Angular Velocity (rad/s):

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:22:54 PM by Tom Bishop »

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2020, 07:25:26 PM »
Raw data from the second document, in Angular Velocity (rad/s):

No, not Angular Velocity in rad/s but Angular Velocity in rad/s x 10-8 but what a little factor of 100 million :o?

Now show me anything that the flat-Earth has measured to anything that precision!

For example, justify the FE claim that the Moon is about 3000 miles above the Earth yet "moon-bounce" experiments show a "bounce time of 2.5 seconds".

Tom Bishop in another discussion laid down this challenge:
. . . . .
I accept the challenge and ask him to justify and prove his assertion that the Moon is 32 miles in diameter at a distance of 3000 miles (approx)
I chose this as the FE belief about the moon is a rather easy one to check unlike the existence of Dark Energy which no member of this site has the means to study or ratify.
I also ask him why the simple moon bounce experiment that any keen radio ham can carry out gives a bounce time of 2.5 seconds? That would mean according to you, Tom Bishop, radio waves travel at 1931KM/sec rather than the globally accepted figure of 299,750KM/sec. Quite a difference. I wonder how Tom Bishop accounts for this. According to the rules as set by Tom Bishop himself the topic can not be changed.
I cant wait to see his reply laid out according to the scientific method.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2020, 07:42:17 PM »
I got this from the GINGERRINO document:

It doesn't look like the data is naturally stable to me. We can presume that there were not constant earthquakes for all 95 days.
And of course "We can presume that there were not constant earthquakes for all 95 days." What a ridiculous suggestion!
If that were the cause the results would be far more random than that!

Quote from: Tom Bishop

It looks like they are applying algorithms to the noisy raw data.
Look at the scale!
Even the raw data deviations are around 0.1 Hz in 280 Hz and of course "they are applying algorithms to the noisy raw data".

But even the raw data has a "natural stability" orders of magnitude better than anything any flat-Earther has ever dome!

Now, excuse me if I go off-topic but YOU turned it into a discussion of precision!

What about Sun height? Rowbotham did "measure it" but!
Quote from: Samuel Birley Rowbotham
Zetetic Astronomy, Earth is Not a Globe
CHAPTER V.
THE TRUE DISTANCE OF THE SUN.
IT is now demonstrated that the earth is a plane, and therefore the distance of the sun may be readily and most accurately ascertained by the simplest possible process. The operation is one in plane trigonometry, which admits of no uncertainty and requires no modification or allowance for probable influences.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
[iIf any allowance is to be made for refraction--which, no doubt, exists where the sun's rays have to pass through a medium, the atmosphere, which gradually increases in density as it approaches the earth's surface--it will considerably diminish the above-named distance of the sun; ]so that it is perfectly safe to affirm that the under edge of the sun is considerably less than 700 statute miles above the earth.[/i]

The above method of measuring distances applies equally to the moon and stars; and it is easy to demonstrate, to place it beyond the possibility of error, so long as assumed premises are excluded, that the moon is nearer to the earth than the sun, and that all the visible luminaries in the firmament are contained within a vertical distance of 1000 statute miles.

But Rowbotham claimed "that all the visible luminaries in the firmament are contained within a vertical distance of 1000 statute miles" not 3100 miles as is now asserted.
Funny that!

You complain about less than 1/10% when flat-Earthers don'y turn a hair at the massive differences in their own "model". Get real!

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2020, 07:50:50 PM »
That last graph that I posted shows data for one hour. The earth is supposed to rotate 15 degrees in that time. Where do you see 15 degrees in that mess of data? Sometimes the earth is rotating backwards according to that. Scale won't help you.

Why are you spamming about Rowbotham in a thread about rotation?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 07:52:41 PM by Tom Bishop »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2020, 07:58:34 PM »
Quote from: rabinoz
of course "they are applying algorithms to the noisy raw data".

Looks like this is a checkmate then. You admit that it is noisy raw data that must be filtered.

The device is detecting a multitude of unknown effects and special filtering algorithms are applied to pull out patterns in the data. How do we know which effect is being pulled out from the various phenomena from the background environment that is causing the noise?

Because it matches the period of a diurnal day? Not really sufficient evidence. If the earth were flat and motionless phenomena related to the diurnal day would still exist.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:06:18 PM by Tom Bishop »